Uber rival All Thai Taxi service launches in Bangkok

thai tech

Uber rival All Thai Taxi service launches in Bangkok

all-thai-taxi-650x336.jpg

A new taxi service, where passengers can book a taxi via an app on their smartphone has been announced in Bangkok.

All Thai Taxi, which will start trials of the service in April before the official launch on May 1st is operated by Nakhonchai Air, which is currently responsible for operating a number of provincial bus services throughout Thailand.

All Thai Taxi, consists of a 500 strong fleet of Toyota Prius sedans and will charge 20 baht per trip in addition to the standard taxi rates set out by Thailand’s Ministry of Land Transport.

Much like the popular Uber and GrabTaxi services currently operating in Bangkok, customers will be able to book an All Thai Taxi via an app on their phone or by contacting the call centre on 1624.

However, what is interesting about All Thai Taxi is that the operators of the service guarantees that its taxis will never reject a passenger, will always use the meter and will never attempt to charge you extra.

Read more here: http://tech.thaivisa.com/uber-rival-thai-taxi-service-launches-bangkok/4374/

20 baht plus standard rate, meaning? So instead of 35 baht starting rate and after that the same as Bangkok taxis?

No. The article quoted 20 baht in addition to standard taxi rates. It seems clear that the starting rate of 35 baht will still exist and an additional 20 baht booking fee would be included - Thus, the starting fee - 55 baht - Not too much if clean cars, reliable and honest drivers can be guaranteed.

It's seems very much like GrabTaxi but with the same costs and better cars (Prius).

Recently I've been avoiding taxi's and relying on UBER where possible (and waxing lyrical of UBER's service). I'd happy give this All Thai Taxi a try.

Probably good for long distances or trips to the city outskirts. But with the abundance of vacant taxis floating the downtown streets, just flagging one down seems cheaper and more practical.

Until normal taxis reject you for the nth time in a row, until they try it on taking the wrong turn, refuse to use the meter, stop on the way for gas, drive badly, suffer road rage, play the radio too loud, drive drunk, open the door numerous times to cough up a lung, smell, offer to find you women..... etc etc

The Taxi Apps provide a way of booking a known taxi with a known driver - this alone encourages the driver to behave reasonably... he is somewhat accountable and traceable.... these apps usually have a 'star rating' and options for feedback..

By using the Apps you can also get picked up at your location instead of walking to the road for a flag down and take your chances...

All in all the piece of mind services such as these offer is worth the 20 baht... But, if 20 baht is a big deal there is always the bus.

.....There are numerous decent taxi drivers out there - its a shame their reputation is being tarnished by those negative drivers.

I'm for anything different than what is there now.

Hope they last.

I keep waiting for the drivers to start attacking the drivers who work for these new online companies. Or demand more money because they can't compete.

How are these guys suddenly able to add 500 taxis to the mix? They are getting taxi licenses and meters? It sounds just like grab taxi, which is great, except they have their own cars and are five baht cheaper.

I thought i read on here just a few weeks ago, that Uber taxi's were

banned ? then a similar service starts up.

regards Worgeordie

Uber are foreign (so not allowed), whereas this new service is Thai (so allowed).

Yep, we all know how this new service came about.

regards Worgeordie

Uber are foreign (so not allowed), whereas this new service is Thai (so allowed).

Yep, we all know how this new service came about.

Probably they even copied the app, actually lets hope so, otherwise it probably will be the same disaster as with Thai websites and emails.

All Thai Taxi project slated to be realized in May

BANGKOK, 11 February 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport has inaugurated the "All Thai Taxi" project, aimed at providing the public with safe and service-minded taxi drivers.

According to Department director-general Theerapong Rodprosert, the taxis under this project will be equipped with a standard fare meter, an online GPS tracking system, and a 'black box' that records the driving behavior of each driver. The 500 new taxis will kick-start the drive to improve Thailand's standard of taxi service. Coach company Nakhon Chai Air will supply the drivers for the taxis in this program. All the drivers will be trained about service-mindedness and virtues before joining the program.

Starting in May, passengers will be able to hail the taxis through applications on mobile devices or by calling the 24-hour hotline number 1624.

According to the director-general, the Land Transport Department is also working to bring 'lady taxis' into service, offering female passengers more confidence when making their journeys.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-11 footer_n.gif

Looks like a very good service but I wonder how many bribes they had to pay to get this sorted out with the government?

I applaud their no refusals guarantee, the GPS system and the black box system. This could give the normal taxis a real boot up the hole.

regards Worgeordie

There is UBERx and UBER Black... Some of the vehicles are privately owned (black letters on white background plates) - its these which are illegal.

Most of the UBER Black cars are vehicles which are publicly registered (white letters on green background plates).

It appears that most of the UBERx cars are vehicles which are privately owned and thus uninsured to take fare paying passengers.

While two wrongs don't make a right I've had a couple of bumps with Taxi's - they didn't have insurance. I'll be taking my chances with UBER and services like it.

There is perhaps some additional pressure from the 'Taxi Lobby', perhaps some owners of the Taxi companies are connected to some in the Department of Land Transport, they've found this 'registration loophole' and jumped all over UBER.

It appears that there has also been some misreporting - its not UBER which is illegal (according the official letter of the Law) it is just some of the vehicles being used (with black on white plates). I wonder how many taxi's are also illegal according to the letter of the law !.

I hope Thaivisa post the app once it becomes available. Paying an additional 20 baht is well worth the crap you have to put up with these taxis now.

why would thaivisa post the app? it would be available through the regular channesl, play store and apple.

Why should I have to pay more for a taxi driver to do his job? How about making taxi drivers do the job they've chosen to do.

I think most would agree that the starting rate of 35 baht for a taxi is very low... I wouldn't have issue if the starting fare was 55 baht for conventional taxi's, so long as they could guarantee honest and reliable service... unfortunately that line has been crossed and it is difficult to clean up an industry wide issue... Perhaps this is the beginning of the 're-invention' of the Bangkok Taxi system.

I am sympathetic towards some of the honourable taxi drivers who work hard but believe the 35 baht starting rate is too low. However, I am never sympathetic towards anyone who agrees to do a job then tries to extract more through any possible means...

The taxi situation in Bangkok is perhaps not as black and white as we would like to see.

Nonetheless, I'm more than happy to use these 'App' alternatives and avoid potential issues in clean, new taxis, with seat belts and polite drivers.

Another Point: With these Apps we too as customers are also registered - I'm sure many of us are well aware that some customers can be complete a$$holes, these Apps may 'clean' things up from both the drivers and the passengers perspective.

Edited by richard_smith237

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope Thaivisa post the app once it becomes available. Paying an additional 20 baht is well worth the crap you have to put up with these taxis now.

why would thaivisa post the app? it would be available through the regular channesl, play store and apple.

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or are you always this grumpy. Why, because it the easiest way for me to find out it's available. Hope you don't have a problem with that. But if you do it's just too damn bad.

20 baht plus standard rate, meaning? So instead of 35 baht starting rate and after that the same as Bangkok taxis?

this is the usual add if you call a taxi.

I always have to pay 20 Baht extra when they call a taxi for me from the call center