Proof of income for Retirement Extension

i am dutch smile.png

does the dutch ambassy give statements too and do they ask for proof ??

The Dutch embassy gives a statement of income, but you have to fill in yourself how much. You don't need to show any proof.

There is also a possibility to do do it by mail, but if you live in a part of Thailand where the mail is not trustworthy you'd better go to the embassy in person. I always go to Bangkok myself for that reason (och, het is een leuk jaarlijks uitje!).

I just send for a proof of income to the Dutch embassy, ems, got it returned to me, by ems, in 6 days.

No proof needed anymore. But make sure you have original papers to proof income when you go see immigration.

The reason for this is that on the form the Dutch embassy gives is this line;

The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands accepts no responsibility for the contents of this document.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it the same deal with the Aust embassy? I have to do mine next month also. I looked for a form online but could not see one so I assume I have to collect from Immigration.

You will do a statutory declaration at the Oz embassy. They don't ask for any proof of your income. They have standard declaration form you will fill out.

Immigration does not have a form for it.

Do you know how the Canadian embassy handles this request Ubonjoe. I know they will provide an affidavit for $50 but will they ask for proof.

They will ask for proof of income to do the statutory declaration at the Canadian embassy.

They will also do it by mail if you have your signature notarized by a Thai notary,

As always Thank you.

What about marriage visa extension? I always used to get the income confirmation letter from the Chiang Mai British Consulate but they don't do this service any more.

When I contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok they told me they only do this for the Retirement visa.

What's going on?

I am always circumspect of things I am told over the phone in Thailand if it fails the common sense test. Go in person.

The embassy confirm your income as per the info you supply. You pay the over priced fee and leave with your evidence. There is no mention of what type of visa extension you are applying for. If you told them it was for retirement extension how would they know what type of extension you are actually applying for? Its the same evidence for each extension only the figures vary. For a retirement extension you can mix income with money in the bank so the embassy will not query your income.

What about marriage visa extension? I always used to get the income confirmation letter from the Chiang Mai British Consulate but they don't do this service any more.

When I contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok they told me they only do this for the Retirement visa.

What's going on?

I am always circumspect of things I am told over the phone in Thailand if it fails the common sense test. Go in person.

The embassy confirm your income as per the info you supply. You pay the over priced fee and leave with your evidence. There is no mention of what type of visa extension you are applying for. If you told them it was for retirement extension how would they know what type of extension you are actually applying for? Its the same evidence for each extension only the figures vary. For a retirement extension you can mix income with money in the bank so the embassy will not query your income.

I think if a person was under 50 they would know it was not for retirement. Also if a person was not on a pension could be an indication.

There have been reports of the embassy having people do a statutory declaration instead of them doing the letter.

What's going on?

I think if a person was under 50 they would know it was not for retirement. Also if a person was not on a pension could be an indication.

There have been reports of the embassy having people do a statutory declaration instead of them doing the letter.

Thank you all for your replies. The issue is now resolved. I sent off my details to the British Embassy and in return they have issued me with a letter confirming my income for the Thai Immigration Office. So my advice to anyone who needs a confirmation of income from the British Embassy telephone the Consular Notarial Section first and explain to them that you need a letter of confirmation of income for immigration purposes i.e. visa extension, then find as much documentary evidence as you can in support of your application e.g. bank statements, letters from your income suppliers etc, fill in the form they supply online at:- https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/402545/Pension_10_02_2015__Master.pdf together with the fee and post by EMS. The embassy quotes 10 working days for this to be processed but in most cases you will receive their letter plus your documents back within 2 or 3 days. Bearing in mind this is for people over 50 as ubonjoe says this will be different for people who are under 50 so contact the British Embassy in the first instance.

Edited by pendingo

I just send for a proof of income to the Dutch embassy, ems, got it returned to me, by ems, in 6 days.

No proof needed anymore. But make sure you have original papers to proof income when you go see immigration.

The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands accepts no responsibility for the contents of this document.

The British Embassy include a similar disclaimer in their income confirmation letters, despite their requirement for original proof!

The British Embassy include a similar disclaimer in their income confirmation letters, despite their requirement for original proof!

I see no such disclaimer in the letter in front of me, which I will be presenting to Immigration in the next couple of days. It reads as follows:

This is to confirm that Mr E..., holder of British Passport No.xxxxxx by the Identity and Passport Service on (date), is recognised as a British Citizen.

Mr E.... has stated that he resides at (address)

Mr E... has also stated that he receives monthly pensions and income totalling GBPxxxxx and has also shown to us letters from the Pension Service, XYZ, ABC P60 End of Year Certificate, DEF, and PQR Registered Office stating that he receives Pensions and income totalling GBPxxxxx per annum.

The Embassy would be grateful for any assistance you can provide Mr E...

I wish they'd cure themselves of using the phrase "per annum". Thai IOs don't understand it, and one year the officer looked at the letter, scratched his head and asked me what my monthly income was. I showed him the summary which I had submitted (at that time) to the Jomtien Consulate. I have never felt the need to submit bank statements. The State Pension is paid gross, and all the other docs from pension providers or the letting agent show gross and nett figures, so I just tot up the nett..

I would have thought that the format of the above letter would support any application for which proof of income is required.

Edit:- Sorry I notice that there is a statement at the bottom of the page, not in the body of the letter, which says that the service provided should not be taken as certifying that the document is binding in law, which is pretty much like the general 'E & OE' that appears (or used to) on many documents, so to that extent there is a disclaimer.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

I have a question about the money order for payment at the UK embassy

Where can I get this in Pattaya - will a cheque from my bank not do

You get it any Thai post office. From: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/402545/Pension_10_02_2015__Master.pdf

"The fee is payable by Money Order (available from Post Offices) for the exact amount - THB 2,440. Ensure the Money Order is payable to the “British Embassy” to be cashed at “Nana Post Office Bangkok 10112.”

Don't you think it is easier if you google for British Embassy, call them and make sure you get the right answer?

No need after the correct answer is given above, as most often happens, by ubonjoe.

Seems like you can't get used to that yet.

• Like 1

So, I went to the Brit Embassy on the 18th Feb with a copy of my passport, a scanned copy of HM pension's letter confirming my pension from 5 April 2015, the Embassy's application form duly filled in and the money order for 2440 baht. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

I have just received my proof of income letter by post, today is the 21st Feb.

There is NO NEED for any other documentation, as Ubonjoe and others have said, NO NEED for 12 months bank statements for example and if I hadn't been in Bangkok I'm sure it would have been just as easy by mail.

So, I went to the Brit Embassy on the 18th Feb with a copy of my passport, a scanned copy of HM pension's letter confirming my pension from 5 April 2015, the Embassy's application form duly filled in and the money order for 2440 baht. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

There is NO NEED for any other documentation, as Ubonjoe and others have said, NO NEED for 12 months bank statements for example and if I hadn't been in Bangkok I'm sure it would have been just as easy by mail.

Presumably, then, you will be using the "combo" method of proving finances for your upcoming retirement extension as the UK State Pension (which is what I assume your reference to "HM pension's letter" relates to) won't by itself meet the 65,000 THB minimum monthly income requirement!

Presumably, then, you will be using the "combo" method of proving finances for your upcoming retirement extension as the UK State Pension (which is what I assume your reference to "HM pension's letter" relates to) won't by itself meet the 65,000 THB minimum monthly income requirement!

You have obviously never heard of SERPS!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have heard of SERPS !

Anyone relying on a UK retirement pension + SERPS would be vulnerable and exposed to currency exchange rate risk !

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retirement/guides/state-pension-explained/state-second-pension-and-serps/

Maybe something to bear in mind ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have heard of SERPS !

Anyone relying on a UK retirement pension + SERPS would be vulnerable and exposed to currency exchange rate risk !

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retirement/guides/state-pension-explained/state-second-pension-and-serps/

Maybe something to bear in mind ?

As indeed have I!

But vague and ambiguous references to an "HM pension's letter" mean all things to all men!!

It is probably also worth mentioning that although totally not clear who it will affect they are proposing doing away with your personal tax allowance in the uk which will mean that all income will be taxed, I haven't looked into it in great detail but still worth a read especially for those that have income from rented property etc

It is probably also worth mentioning that although totally not clear who it will affect they are proposing doing away with your personal tax allowance in the uk which will mean that all income will be taxed, I haven't looked into it in great detail but still worth a read especially for those that have income from rented property etc

Ok I decided to look further into this and found the following

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11272572/Expats-will-keep-their-tax-break.html

Yes, I'm British, and did this recently.

Just go to the embassy in the morning with your bank statements in your name (originals), or in the cases of E-Statements Barclays told me I could print them out after downloading them and treat them as originals.

As long as it's all in order, there's a special form in the embassy to fill in, and you come back to collect after 2.30.

Why are bank statements necessary ? Shouldn't the letter from the Gov. pension people be enough,it tells you how much pension you are getting ?

Moreover, letters from pension providers show gross figures (which are what count in Immigration's reckoning of monthly income), whereas bank statements, of course, only show net figures after the jolly old taxman at HMRC has taken his share. The 20% difference could be critical if net income is hovering around the 65.000 THB minimum requirement and the GBP takes another downward plunge in advance of the General Election on 7 May.

incorrect bank statements show weekly/monthly gross figures,for oap.returns at end of financial year sort out tax,in fact its providers that show net on bank statements.

Yes, I'm British, and did this recently.
Just go to the embassy in the morning with your bank statements in your name (originals), or in the cases of E-Statements Barclays told me I could print them out after downloading them and treat them as originals.
As long as it's all in order, there's a special form in the embassy to fill in, and you come back to collect after 2.30.

Why are bank statements necessary ? Shouldn't the letter from the Gov. pension people be enough,it tells you how much pension you are getting ?

Moreover, letters from pension providers show gross figures (which are what count in Immigration's reckoning of monthly income), whereas bank statements, of course, only show net figures after the jolly old taxman at HMRC has taken his share. The 20% difference could be critical if net income is hovering around the 65.000 THB minimum requirement and the GBP takes another downward plunge in advance of the General Election on 7 May.
incorrect bank statements show weekly/monthly gross figures,for oap.returns at end of financial year sort out tax,in fact its providers that show net on bank statements.

Interesting !

I recently secured (by EMS post) an income statement from the British Embassy . As "evidence" of income I used my State OAP statement and my occupational (Government ) pension statement. Both state GROSS income !

No need for "bank statements"

Well my bank statements at any rate show amounts for my occupational pension after PAYE tax has been deducted. I believe that these amounts are called NET figures.

• Like 1

ifYes, I'm British, and did this recently.

In Aus all income up to $33,000.00 per year for over 65 yo is free of taxation which is just a bit more than the 65000 THB which is enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand. The tax payable from $33,000 up to $50,000 is quite low ( like 12%) ...tax regardless of what country you come from is just another living expense like the money for house rent, food, girlfriends shopping, 2nd girl friends expenses and so on. I can't see how you would need to include in your proof of how you spend your money in your income statement., be it tax or any other expense.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

In Aus all income up to $33,000.00 per year for over 65 yo is free of taxation which is just a bit more than the 65000 THB which is enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand. The tax payable from $33,000 up to $50,000 is quite low ( like 12%) ...tax regardless of what country you come from is just another living expense like the money for house rent, food, girlfriends shopping, 2nd girl friends expenses and so on. I can't see how you would need to include in your proof of how you spend your money in your income statement., be it tax or any other expense.

Agreed - it's only gross figures that Immigration are interested in.

Went to Aust Embassy y'day to get my stat dec for retirement income witnessrd. In and out in 20 min and 510 baht. Warning - parking in Tai Wai building as advertised is not available due to construction. I parked in Shell servo next to embassy (50 mtr past embassy entrance)