58-year-old German drowns in Krabi

Thaivisa News

Krabi:- A 58-year-old German tourist drowned in a Krabi sea Thursday when he and his son tried to swim to an island that is located about one-kilometer away from the beach, police said.

The tourist was identified as Martin Hofstetter, according to Pol Lt Montha Thongma of Klong Khanan police station in Krabi’s Nua Klong district.

Kriengsak Sudthong, the head of Moo 3 village in Tambon Koh Sriboya, told police that the tourist and his 38-year-old son arrived at the Koh Jam beach on the Ayaza bay on a motorcycle.

They went into the sea immediately and they apparently tried to swim to Koh Singto, which is about one-kilometer away from the beach.

Witnesses told police that when they were about 200 meters from the shore, they were pulled down by a strong current.

Local people on the beach saw them drowning so they rushed out on their kayaks. But when the kayaks reached the two, the father already drowned. The local people could save only the son.

The local people combed the sea bed and found the father’s body. Rescuers of the Santisuk Nua Klong foundation sent the body to the Nua Klong hospital.

Kriengsak said the two were not staying at any resort on the beach but they rode a motorcycle from another area. They did not rent kayaks or inquire about the sea from local resorts so they did not know that there was a strong current in the sea, Kriengsak said.

He said he would consult with local people and the authorities to prevent tourists from drowning in the sea there again.

Assuming the OP is 100% correct, then two things spring to mind.

The stupidity of a 58 y.o. to attempt such a swim, and secondly the reaction of the locals which I consider pretty good.

I know there are a number of us in the autumn of our life, who still think we're pretty fit - and that might be the case for our individual ages. But I've learned that we go downhill so slowly that we don't often notice it. It might be a co-incidence that the 38 y.o. survived, but it might prove my point.

Anyway, awful tragedy for the family of the deceased.