Teaching prathom - for peanuts...

Mr Somtam

I had a talk with the headmaster of my local temple school about teaching there. Another teacher told me I could expect 200 baht/hour, but he did not know how many hours the job would be etc.

It turns out they would like me to "teach" 135 kids at a time, no formal salary, and just make it fun for the kids maybe they will learn a thing or two. There is no budget, no planning, no curriculum or books, nothing basically.

I will go take a look next monday but have a bad feeling about it already.

My wife tells me to do it from the heart, yeah right, would a Thai teacher volunteer for this kind of "job" without pay?

• Like 1

Briggsy, good points!

I think doing something for the community and connections would be my main reason to do it. But it's all show and I am not really that kind of person, I would be proud when I added something for real, not just looked like I did.

135 kids is way too many. if you decide to go ahead suggest to divide into smaller groups based on their English language ability. the kids and you will both benefit far more.

find a local speaker of english to help you manage the 'lessons'.

i did similar work while i was in china, it was fun even though i knew there was a hidden agenda (not that well hidden) and my chinese friend was benefiting financially from my work. i drew the line when asked to run teacher training workshops for local teachers for no payment.

• Like 1

If you will teach for the money, and not because also you REALLY love to teach, no money will be enough. If you will teach because it is your PASSION any money will be OK...but..remember. By the present immigration laws do you need to have the right visa, work permit or volunteer extension to teach even FREE....privateley, in a school, or in a temple.

The g/f used to do something like this for fun with younger kids and they loved it....

http://supersimplelearning.com/songs/themes-series/halloween/the-skeleton-dance/

The sort of thing you can have fun with. I'm sure there must be other similar simple ways too.

I think many of us remember this sort of simple thing, especially for younger kids.

Muffin songs You Tube. Loads on there. Great fun - or am I being too simplistic?

Edited by WhamBam

I want to teach, not be a clown...

then you have come to the wrong country. Taught for 5 years here and the best part of the job was being a clown, or a pilot, or a singer, dancer, fireman, bumblebee etc...kids of all ages here love being entertained while learning. I do not have any stats to back me up but believe they retain what they have been taught better as well.

Think of 150 native English speaking children of various ages and abilities trying to learn French from a Native French speaker going on and on about grammar and proper speech patterns blah, blah, blah....teach them dance, or being a bit of "clown" goes a long way.....in my humble opinion anyways.

• Like 1

I was not going to teach grammar, that would be rediculous in that age group. They have thai teachers for that [emoji12] anyway... But just fooling around and having fun, I don't know... Have to think hard about it. Where I come from English education starts at age 12-13, what do they suppose 6 year olds will "learn" ?

I think you miss the point of volunteering when you discuss the "pay". If they are asking for help and you want to help and do something nice, do it. If you want money, tell them no. Thailand: the land of "whats in it for me?" There are plenty of people willing to help others for free. Plus, its a temple school, not British international. The kids are there because they have little options.

Go ahead an do it - once. It will be fun, and if you are creative, you can inspire the kids to want to learn more. Use it as an opportunity to to show them how useful English will be in their future, study techniques on their own, go through some accurate pronunciation drills real quick, and make some new friends and contacts - perhaps some single pretty ones - after school "bpai tee-o nakhrap! ;)

Do it and have fun with it. Don't get too caught with the "I'm a teacher " ego. Most teachers here in Thailand except those that are at crazy expensive international schools spend more time entertaining than actual teaching. Just go and have fun and let the kids have fun. It's true you need a visa and work permit. It should also be noted that many officials gladly turn a blind eye when it's to the benefit of the local community.

Follow your heart.

I have encountered this kind of proposal often.

I have some pertinent points for you, Mr Somtam.

1. What do hope to achieve here? If it is language teaching, I would forget it. If it is recognition as a contributor and good person in the community, this is much more feasible. If it is good connections, this is certainly on the cards. But, of course, only you have the answer.

2. Why would the headmaster be interested? Well, many reasons.

a) If you suggested it, maybe he was just resonating with you.

cool.png He may well see an economic opportunity. All schools will use farang teachers as both a selling point and an opportunity to charge the parents more.

c) He may be a believer in prosperity through osmosis. This is a common theory amongst Thai educationalists. Farangs are rich. Farangs speak English (not actually true). Farangs have farang teachers. So bring farang teachers speaking English to my school and wealth will follow.

3. Very shortly, some other Thaivisa members will come on going on about work permits. They will make a big brouhaha about it and possibly call you a criminal. Whilst what you are doing is technically illegal working, I would not worry about it.

Some excellent points there.

Something for nothing is a waste of time for everybody.

Charge them 20 baht each per hour. Take that money and put it into a kitty, rewarding the best students the end of the month. You can also use money for buying materials.

As for the truly poor kids, use some of the same money for scholarships for those who do their homework.

I would love to give something to the local community, for free. But since it was first discussed as a JOB I expected excactly that. I don't have any source of income at the moment so I am looking for WORK, as in "trying to earn some money to live."

If I can't make any money I will be back in my home country in no time and I won't be able to add anything to the community.

I don't expect much but when they first talk about a job and then talk it down to volunteering for a chocolate bar and a coke, that's just disappointing. Too bad the kids will always suffer because of this cheap charlying ...

This subject sure seems to get worn out, on this website. Imagine trying it in your own country. Many friends in Thailand sent their

children to English school, in Thailand.... Problem? They didn't speak English at home. They must live in the condition, where it may berequired .... What else can one say? End of conversation....

Mr Somtam, go ahead and do it, you may very well enjoy it, google educational games for children. But do remember that technically, you do need a work permit, although in that case, especially up in the sticks, no one will bother you.

There are Farangs all over Thailand helping out at English camps etc, playing games with the children. Have a good time.

Okay, we are getting somewhere now.

Mr Somtam needs money or it is back home time for him. This is his motivation.

Mr Somtam,

Are you living in the middle of nowhere? If so, there are few money-making opportunities. You will just have to go around all the local schools leaving your CV. Much better if you can speak Thai or you can expect the school secretary to run away when she realises you cannot speak Thai and you expect her to speak English.

If you are near a bigger town, go to a language institute and the teaching agencies. Stick your name down along with leaving your CV and you will get your 35,000 a month if you put in the hours.