Teaching prathom - for peanuts...

Mr Somtam

My wife tells me to do it from the heart, yeah right, would a Thai teacher volunteer for this kind of "job" without pay?

I'm sure there are Thai people who volunteer in one capacity or another at local wats. Do you assume only farang can be generous with their time? Of course, the majority of Thais need paid employment of one sort or another just to survive, which is the reason you are expected to get a work permit when volunteering to do work for which a Thai might earn something.

It's understandable that you would be skeptical about what you would be expected to accomplish, but if you feel you're getting to something that's doomed to failure, it would probably better you not accept the offer. Setting everyone up ... the students, you and the school generally ... for a failed experience would do no one any good.

Why not talk with the headmaster about doing something with a much smaller number of students and agree on both the conditions and some realistic measurable goals. If that doesn't suit them, then explain why you think it's not going to work out well.

My wife tells me to do it from the heart,

She's right and considering your apparent cynicism, you probably aren't the right person to do it. As an experienced educator you're probably familiar with the concept of "self-fulfilling prophecy" in educational settings. If you look at the situation and the students as a failure waiting to happen then that's exactly what will happen.

Edited by Suradit69

My Opinion;;;;;;;;For a Foreigner from a (Western country) there in no hope in Hell that you can earn a very good salary here in LOL,,,,,We are here in LOL for our wife/gf and we like the climate and its cheaper living here because our Foreign money goes a hell of of lot further here then in our own country. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7KD27

I think you miss the point of volunteering when you discuss the "pay". If they are asking for help and you want to help and do something nice, do it. If you want money, tell them no. Thailand: the land of "whats in it for me?" There are plenty of people willing to help others for free. Plus, its a temple school, not British international. The kids are there because they have little options.

I think you miss the point of being offered a JOB and then it turns out to be volunteering....

• Like 1

Mr Somtam

You're in business. Amphoe Meuang Nakhorn Sawan is definitely big enough and absolutely has enough of a middle class for you to find what you want.

With reference to the silly job offer, don't get upset about it. Many Thais have unrealistic (exploitative) ideas about farang teachers and half the time it works. I have come across plenty of usually young, enthusiastic teachers working for next to nothing in Thailand. Sometimes it is because they have no idea of what the market rate is. Sometimes it is because they believe Thailand is a very poor country. Sometimes they feel guilty for being a farang. Sometimes they don't care about money.

Anyway put that behind you and move on. Know what you want, know what you will not accept and in Nakhorn Sawan city you will find employment that allows you to stay.

Mr Somtam

You're in business. Amphoe Meuang Nakhorn Sawan is definitely big enough and absolutely has enough of a middle class for you to find what you want.

With reference to the silly job offer, don't get upset about it. Many Thais have unrealistic (exploitative) ideas about farang teachers and half the time it works. I have come across plenty of usually young, enthusiastic teachers working for next to nothing in Thailand. Sometimes it is because they have no idea of what the market rate is. Sometimes it is because they believe Thailand is a very poor country. Sometimes they feel guilty for being a farang. Sometimes they don't care about money.

Anyway put that behind you and move on. Know what you want, know what you will not accept and in Nakhorn Sawan city you will find employment that allows you to stay.

Now this is a reply I appreciate. And to those calling me cynical or whatever: when I can get myself a nice paying job I WILL also be volunteering at the temple school. But for now the PAID job is a little bit more important. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Mr Somtam

Now this is a reply I appreciate. And to those calling me cynical or whatever: when I can get myself a nice paying job I WILL also be volunteering at the temple school. But for now the PAID job is a little bit more important. coffee1.gif

I'm not a teacher but I've been offered two English teaching jobs in Isaan which I declined. I have two Thai women friends who are teachers. Just in visiting their schools and hanging out with them for a couple of days each I was asked if I would teach some English which I did for a couple of days each. I was able to teach the kids to say some important words like colors while holding up each color and writing the words for them. That's just an example. I had no lesson plans and improvised with what was at hand but I thought it was rewarding for all.

Many kids, especially in small schools have never had an NES. I will be really surprised if you can't find a job in the 30 - 35K range just by asking around a bit.

No Bsc and I'm Dutch...

Do you have the Dutch diploma equivalent of a bachelors?

If not then you will NOT be able to work within the standard school system as a teacher .primary (prathom) and secondary (mathayom) schools under OBEC require a teaching license or teaching license waiver, to get a waiver you need a degree. You can work in a language school BUT they are renowned for NOT getting teachers Work Permits.

You may depending on the school and Labour office get a WP as an assistant teacher, maybe something to consider! This is easier at government schools than it is at private schools. Good luck

Today I did an, unexpected, first "session". 135 kids age 3-12 years. Just did some "what' s your name - hello - What do you like to eat" conversation and the ABC song which sounded, well, chaotic! It was just 10 minutes and the idea is I come in every day to do 2 x 10 minutes (1 session for all, 1 session for the little ones seperate). It's fun to do, I have a reason to get up early, keeps me of the street... I told them I don't want any money for this, it's training for me since I haven't really taught that much (20 hours on my TEFL course in 2003...).

I think when I want to earn some OK money teaching English in Thailand is not a very good option. Better go to my homecountry for half a year and save...

Edited by Mr Somtam
  • Like 1

I have encountered this kind of proposal often.

I have some pertinent points for you, Mr Somtam.

1. What do hope to achieve here? If it is language teaching, I would forget it. If it is recognition as a contributor and good person in the community, this is much more feasible. If it is good connections, this is certainly on the cards. But, of course, only you have the answer.

2. Why would the headmaster be interested? Well, many reasons.

a) If you suggested it, maybe he was just resonating with you.

cool.png He may well see an economic opportunity. All schools will use farang teachers as both a selling point and an opportunity to charge the parents more.

c) He may be a believer in prosperity through osmosis. This is a common theory amongst Thai educationalists. Farangs are rich. Farangs speak English (not actually true). Farangs have farang teachers. So bring farang teachers speaking English to my school and wealth will follow.

3. Very shortly, some other Thaivisa members will come on going on about work permits. They will make a big brouhaha about it and possibly call you a criminal. Whilst what you are doing is technically illegal working, I would not worry about it.

GET LEGAL