Farangs need to pass "Thainess" course to get teacher license

Thaivisa News

"Thai education concepts, to Thai educational psychology, and to educational evaluation."

​Because the Thai education is a failure not only by international standards but by Thai standards as well, this is rubbish. Its like a whitewash for MOE failures.

When the MOE gets their house in order and produce results then indoctrinate new teachers

• Like 1

Wouldn't want those farang teachers to put crazy ideas like democracy in those kids heads....

Sing songs, bow, shut your mouth... education Junta approved.

One item missing: Be able to memorize and recite these (teachers as well, of course):

The twelve Thai Values are:

1) Upholding of the three main pillars of the country: the nation, the religion, and the monarchy

2) Honesty, sacrifice and patience with positive attitude for the interest of the public

3) Filial piety towards parents, guardians and teachers

4) Seeking of direct and indirect knowledge and education

5) Preservation of Thai traditions and cultures

6) Morality, integrity, considerateness, generosity and sharing

7) Understanding and learning of true democratic ideals with His Majesty the King as Head of State

8) Maintaining of discipline, respectfulness of laws and the elderly

9) Being conscious and mindful of action in line with His Majesty's the King's royal statements

10) Applying His Majesty the King's sufficiency economy, saving money for time of need,

being moderate with surplus for sharing or expansion of business while having good immunity

11) Keeping physical and mental strength, unyielding to the evil power or desires,

having sense of shame over guilt and sins in accordance with the religious principles

12) Putting the public and national interest before one's own

Good precepts from the king & his forebears, but how many Thais follow any of these???

This came around first time 10 years or so ago, at that time I was teaching in a Thai Government school. With a little digging around with some Thai friends we found that the idea was proposed and initiated by a retired Thai school director and her cronies.

I forget now how many teachers there were in Bangkok alone but it was a substantial number.

The course cost 20,000 baht, with 25 on a course that was 500k a week per course.

Massive earner. Submit plan to Ed ministry, half for you half for me.

Big smiles all round.

I refused to go but some friends were forced to go by their schools at risk of losing their jobs.

They were taught to count to 40, how to say hello, be krieng jai and never to say anything bad about Thailand , the king blah blah blah.

Times are hard time to bring out this lovely earner again.

Ker ching and welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

Who should teach who?

Rules in teaching ??? culture differences ??? what kind of idiot could manage to find this obstacle for the teacher?

Isn't easier to say we don't want you ???

By the centuries there was one rule only ; Teacher ..teach ..and student obey teachings ...that's all and whole generations did not have any problem about that..

For me ...it looks like someone is spoiled to much and it must be uneducated student who can put in life such idea.

Yes , this days everything which was abnormal in old time became normal and opposite.bah.gif

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Source for this? the last culture course dates were months ago and only accomodated about 20 people per course. An absolute joke.

Some more information about this, IE official press release or some such would be nice. Would be good to know some prices, dates and the like. The kurusapha website is also a shambles.

So.

Now you understand Thainess

And who pays for this course? The individual teacher, the teacher's school, or the Ministry of Education?

If you can stop bashing yourself in the head long enough MB.

Long shot - but I'm guessing the foreigner might have to pay for it.

"To get a teachers’ license in Thailand, foreigners must first take a 21-hour course on Thainess and Thai education laws"

Is this really an issue for a professional teacher currently in Thailand?

I realise it could well be for the other 200,000 Thai Visa posters who somehow see it as a violation of their human rights and will willingly post here in the hope that the Thai Government will be intimidated by their stern remarks.

• Like 1

And who pays for this course? The individual teacher, the teacher's school, or the Ministry of Education?

You want to teach in Thailand, you must get the proper qualifications You want to teach,,,you pay,,I would say on top of that you would have to speak Thai so you could explain in class what the hell you are trying to say/teach,,,,,,My Gf son got an English teacher at school he can't talk Thai you know what,He is hopeless/useless he can't explain anything so he is teaching FA/nothing to the kids, they don't understand him so they don't learn anything.

• Like 1

Seems reasonable to me. I lived in the Netherlands almost 20 years and last November I had to go back to take 7 hours worth of cultural integration tests to prove I knew I wasn't supposed to park my camel in the front lawn, slaughter goats in the house, shoot guns in the air to celebrate weddings or New Years , let religious leaders mutilate my daughters genitals and that I knew the proper way to cut in line.

• Like 1

He adds that the longer course covers a total of 42 hours, with content spanning from Thainess, to Thai laws, to Thai education concepts, to Thai educational psychology, and to educational evaluation.

I'll tell you what; when Thailand is able to figure out their own concepts and the other above mentioned.Then you can pass them on to us and the rest of the world!

Ok - it seems like a daft idea and a lot of people might not learn anything new from doing this course. But do I understand correctly that if you do this course you will get a teacher's licence in Thailand? If so then I say full steam ahead - don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Seriously? How does an understanding of Thainess (whatever the f**** that is) help n teaching English? Maybe the Junta should take a course in international relations? I can't wait to see how this plays out in the ASEAN. Thailand was wonderful 20 years ago, but now it is heading the route of Laos, Cambodia, or Myanmar circa 1975. Damn idiots.

Edited by carib102

So can we inference that those without a teachers license from their home county just have to take the longer course to get a teachers license in Thailand( presuming they already have a degree of some sort as well)?

Sounds like good news to me (if my deduction is correct). Better than having to get an education degree..

Edited by EmptyHead

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

THAI EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY:

1) everyone passes no matter what.

2) If everyone is unable to pass the required %, you must lower the required % so everyone passes.

Exactly top post and there are better English teachers who have not got contracts, far superior than any Thais or Phiippino teachers . A disgrace and in one High School in Danmakhamtia, Kanchanaburi the Thai teachers say up to you and clean the classroom, or get rid of the rubbish bin and they will pass no problem..

Yes some Farlang just do not turn up on time, let alone teach full classes. It is really Tom and Jerry stuff, it really is.

The so called Director has admitted that Special Event Days take priority over teaching subjects.

About sums it up a complete joke.

• Like 1

The last time I did that , it was on Saturdays. 6 hours I think. We had to pay 2,500 baht .a few months later there was a new government and the whole thing was scrapped. The certificate is less useful than my toilet paper. Then they had the 25 credit education certificate. 6 months part time. It was 50,000 baht. I had no degree, but they said oh never mind . If you have this you can get a teachers license. But no. That certificate is no longer valid either.

If I had a degree in any subject at all. I would not be teaching English in a school for 30,000 baht a month that's for sure.

Edited by greenchair

Excellent, they can show us how to consistently achieve the lowest rankings in SE Asia and how to cheat on our teachers entry exams.

Excellent reply.

The poor kids wasting their money here on education are let down by Thailand's abysmal teachers.

Edited by Jay Sata

Seems reasonable to me. I lived in the Netherlands almost 20 years and last November I had to go back to take 7 hours worth of cultural integration tests to prove I knew I wasn't supposed to park my camel in the front lawn, slaughter goats in the house, shoot guns in the air to celebrate weddings or New Years , let religious leaders mutilate my daughters genitals and that I knew the proper way to cut in line.

Yep, nothing racist, bigoted or marginal in that comment