Turkish tourist shot dead on Koh Samui

Thaivisa News

Must be one he'll of a pub is security gaurds are armed.

Is it legal here for pub / bar / club security guards to be armed? A repeating shotgun no less by the report.

I guess many use off duty police and military, so maybe more are armed than you'd expect.

I've heard the Solo Bar is not owned by some St. Michael's College boy scouts... Maybe, rather, some 'influential people' from a local organised crime family, then...? But how could that be, when those people seem to have such excellent relations with the police?

As for the 2am closing time... yes, a few weeks, during the curfew days, but come and have a look for yourself now in Chaweng, quite some places remain open later, bad mouths(?) say they pay the police for it, but who would believe that...?

And 'Turkish mafia', on Samui? What a laugh, maybe the odd bad guy or two from there, very few Turks on the island... 'Self employed' then, or working for a foreign mafia group, which do exist, f.i. from Russia, Israël, France and other countries, maybe, don't count on the BiBs to look into it though...

"he had several businesses on Koh Samui and he had also been acting like a mafia providing protection to farang on the island."

"Thewet said Forlet was notorious for often engaging in quarrels after he became drunk."

But they classify him as a "tourist". dry.png

So he seems to have been known as a protector eh? Do farang need protection on Samui? Are Farang business what need protection? What's the local scoop on the island? I have not stayed there for any length of time yet.

Its call extortion and protection racketeering. You can title it anyway you see fit.

Security guards are armed in many countries, leave your cultural biases home and learn to live where your backside resides.

Nothing to do with cultural biases really. It might well be legal in many countries but it isn't legal in Thailand. The law changed in November 2013 making it illegal for anybody including security personnel (but not including police of course) to carry firearms in entertainment venues. It also became illegal to carry arms where crowds gather and where tourists visit. There's lots more to the law but that is the basis of it.

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware the law changed; apparently, I am not the only one.

• Like 1

I could start to believe this conspiracy theory. Things don't add up to me. I've never seen a security guard with a shotgun. A shotgun with buckshot is deadly but awkward/bulky. Who would walk around a nightclub with one?

Someone who's bigger than you are can take a shotgun away from you right after he surprises you by grabbing it and pointing it away from himself. The gun is no good in a crowd. It's great for defense (or murder) if the victim is unaware and somewhat away from the gun, or if an opponent is some distance away up to about 100 yards/meters.

A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 ("double aught") buckshot fires 9 - 12 pellets with each shot and each is about the size and speed of a 9mm handgun round. That's a lot of firepower.

In that environment I can see someone just waiting for the victim, killing him, and planting a gun(s) on him. Even if the victim was already armed I still can't get my head around carrying a bulky shotgun as a guard in a nightclub.

I'll just repost what I said yesterday. The shotgun was the giveaway that it was a murder.

Some of the conspiracy-lovers here are obviously not using their brains.. IF the guns were planted don't you think that his wallet would have been checked too? And why plant two guns? One would do the job too :P Besides, point out to me one single Thai that will leave 100.000 THB in a wallet, just one, come on...... This Turkish guy was obviously well known and had a reputation of being a nasty guy. I can relate to the security guy who probably expected him back and waited for him with an good old fashioned shotgun... I say 'Good riddance'!

Overkill makes it seem more justified. No reason to say he is mafia nor how many weapons he had. They say all of that negative profiling to make people like you and others believe it is justified and therefore there is no sympathy.

Some of the conspiracy-lovers here are obviously not using their brains.. IF the guns were planted don't you think that his wallet would have been checked too? And why plant two guns? One would do the job too tongue.png Besides, point out to me one single Thai that will leave 100.000 THB in a wallet, just one, come on...... This Turkish guy was obviously well known and had a reputation of being a nasty guy. I can relate to the security guy who probably expected him back and waited for him with an good old fashioned shotgun... I say 'Good riddance'!

Overkill makes it seem more justified. No reason to say he is mafia nor how many weapons he had. They say all of that negative profiling to make people like you and others believe it is justified and therefore there is no sympathy.

Did you not read? They planted one, apparently not knowing that he already had one, concealed. As for the money and drugs, that is not clear. It's not a particularly large amount of money, but you don't need that much a 'walking around' money on Chaweng.

There is more to the story and I can find out, but on further inspection, it's not something about which I need concern myself.

Security guards are armed in many countries, leave your cultural biases home and learn to live where your backside resides.

Nothing to do with cultural biases really. It might well be legal in many countries but it isn't legal in Thailand. The law changed in November 2013 making it illegal for anybody including security personnel (but not including police of course) to carry firearms in entertainment venues. It also became illegal to carry arms where crowds gather and where tourists visit. There's lots more to the law but that is the basis of it.

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware the law changed; apparently, I am not the only one.

The guy that owns bar Soilo is a son of one of the 5 famlies (the original families on Samui from the beginning of life on the island) and as such above the law. Hence security guards armed with multi-round shotguns and staying open until 8 in the morning every day/night. I always found gim nice and the family friendly but there you go! The Turkish guy would have known about the family situation I imagine but mayve to his own connections back home or wherever thought he was also untouchable? I found this piece regarding the law changes. Cheers. http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/New-gun-security-guard-laws-aim-improve/22688 *UPDATE* I just read the Turkish chap was murdered by the bar manager (shown on a CCTV clip) and that he planted the weapon on him. No surprises there then.

Edited by Alwyn
  • Like 2

So the manager shot and injured him with a shotgun and the security guard finished him off with his handgun? Also apparently on video it is to be seen that the security guard planted a weapon after the murder, not realising that the victim already had a weapon.... Then why are they not arrested for attempted murder and/or murder? Or are they??

Gun was planted on victim after his death to prevent murder trial .

Yes you are right, now the police got hold of the cc tv footage from near by places. The bar manager shot him and then the security guard shot him again, total two shots and the revolver was planted by the security guard its clearly shown on the cc tv footage.

• Like 2

yes lots of humble pie, gone quiet haven't they, i bet he had more than 100 grand on him as well, i think a lot of you farangs have spent too long in this country, you are starting to think like a THAI ha ha if it wasn't for the video, i was expecting the "suicide" route.

• Like 1

Gun was planted on victim after his death to prevent murder trial .

Pure f**king genius you are. Who would have thought of that??????mfr_closed1.giflock.gifannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG

Thank you for your lovely compliment .... smile.png , made my valentine night a bit brighter smile.png

You are welcome and due to a CCTV review are also correct. Sorry if my comment re stating the obvious seemed like a slight directed at you.wai.gif

• Like 1