Soft handshakes..

sipi

It's not just Thai people that proffer a soft handshake. It's the same in many other places.

On the other "hand"...

Why do Americans, Brits, and Aussies shake hands like it's some kind of macho wrestling match?

Because they're insecure in their sexuality, so if they're forced to do something as potentially gay as touching another man, they must compensate with a display of manly strength.

Better over-manly than undermanly.....

The only gay I know has a hearty male handshake...

It's not just Thai people that proffer a soft handshake. It's the same in many other places.

On the other "hand"...

Why do Americans, Brits, and Aussies shake hands like it's some kind of macho wrestling match?

Because they're insecure in their sexuality, so if they're forced to do something as potentially gay as touching another man, they must compensate with a display of manly strength.

For me a cool handshake is smooth and light, that's a cool handshake. Now you bikey, you might worry me, you little homo you.....................

• Like 2

I can't recall any hand-shake with any Thai male. Everyone is wai-ing here.

Staff come wais...staff goes wais.....if my company gets bigger I need an extra staff who is doing all the waiing for me.....

You being the boss, you are not supposed to wai your 'inferior' staff. A visible nod of your head into their direction is absolutely sufficient

• Like 2

Not about Thais in particular, but anyone... What I don't like apart from wet fish handshakes is people putting their hand near horizontal over mine rather than both vertical/equal. Also people who keep hold of your hand for extended periods of time.

Firm but not aggressive grip, one, two, let go, and keep eye contact (once you've established the handshake, so as to avoid missing while initiating contact).

• Like 1

whistling.gif Thai custom is not to shake hands.

That's a Farang thing anyway.

Even Thai males will "wai" each other on first meeting.

By the way the "hearty handshake" thing goes back to the long ago times when robes and even Togas were common.

The reason then was that if you grabbed the person you were meeting and shook his or her arm vigourusly, you might shake loose any dagger they were concealing in the sleeve of his or her robe or Toga.

The "handshake" started out centuries ago as a protective grabbing of the arm of the person you were meeting.

Yes, and the wai started as a discreet way to pick your nose in public.

• Like 1

Possibly because shaking hands is not a Thai custom. Nor is the current craze for fist-bumping. You never know where those sweaty hands have been! Some Thais view a handshake as merely the symbolic touching of hands.

The 'wai' is both hygienic and respectful.

Shaking hands?.......Disgusting habit............

That's why I always give a soft kiss on the cheek of whoever I meet......Thai or farang...........

Looking forward meeting you people.....................

You mean you would kiss Demos Rousses? Pardon the spelling.

• Like 1

Possibly because shaking hands is not a Thai custom. Nor is the current craze for fist-bumping. You never know where those sweaty hands have been! Some Thais view a handshake as merely the symbolic touching of hands.

Kiss me on the cheek Costas and I would probably give you a Liverpool kiss, a good nut on your nose.

Scouse Kenny

That's why I always give a soft kiss on the cheek of whoever I meet......Thai or farang...........

• Like 1

Kiss me on the cheek Costas and I would probably give you a Liverpool kiss, a good nut on your nose.

Scouse Kenny

• Like 2