International Schools in Thailand - An Inside Look

Very informative post. Makes me wonder what the target market for these kind of schools is at the price levels.

Surprisingly the cost of education is never part of the equation when cost of living is compared between countries. I'm sure it would make Thailand a lot more expensive compared to many other countries.

My income is even for western European standards not bad, but I'm struggling to pay for one kid on an international school and one on a bi-lingual school.

We live in Rayong and 10 years ago there where scores of western ex-pat families living here and the companies paid the schools, rent, cars, drivers, etc. Apart from a few exceptions this type has died out and the ones that are still here have mostly been moved to local contracts. The current generation western ex-pat is younger and has no family. Next the Russians came, but with the current Ruble exchange rate they are moving out quickly. Oil workers also have to leave some feathers and are less loaded when they come back from the job. Who's gonna fill the schools? Rich Thai's probably? If this is the case the international aspect will be partly lost.

The dilemma remains, Thailand has the worst educational system of Asia, the bi-lingual or English program schools are a bit better, but still don't fully extract your kids from the horror of the Thai educational system and it's compulsory politicized and militarized content and rote learning. No wonder that Thailand has by for the largest number of international schools related to it's population.

If I had the money I would send all kids to an international school, but I don't neither do I have a job in Europe, so for now the bi-lingual school is the only option for us.

• Like 1

Our daughter is nearly 18months. Our plan is Noddy Kindergarden in Yenakart for 2-3 years starting in September and then make the decision between Garden International, St. Andrews Sathorn or Shrewsbury. We have been to look at them all already and liked them all in their own way.

Garden - Small, homely, much cheaper. I would consider it but only till maximum 11 years old as I think its too small for a secondary school.

St. Andrews - In the middle for price, nightmare traffic, looked like a good international mix of students

Shrewsbury - Very impressive facilities, nice location and could stay right through till 18. But expensive and felt like a business. They gave us a 2 hr guided tour...

Good thread, that has brought out my first thai visa post...:-)

• Like 2

I was teaching a manga workshop at RIS-Swiss Section last November and just remembered a telling episode.

One student (about 13 years old) asked me, if I was staying in a 5 star hotel. I told him no. He then asked me, why not? I told him that artists don't make that much money. He looked at me puzzled and replied that his father always stays in 5 star hotels. At least at the school I was, it was very clear that most came from upper class/rich mixed thai/farang couples.

Well behaved kids though (besides the occasional oddball).

• 1 month later...

I have had conflicting answers to this question so thought I would ask

Do teachers working in a tier 1 or tier 2 international school such as Harrow ( Tier 1 ) or St.Stephen's (Tier 2 ) require a teaching license from the teachers council of Thailand?

very surprised to see harrow and shrewsbury being described as mid-tier schools but I can understand the points about high numbers of Thai students, interesting reading.

I have had conflicting answers to this question so thought I would ask

Do teachers working in a tier 1 or tier 2 international school such as Harrow ( Tier 1 ) or St.Stephen's (Tier 2 ) require a teaching license from the teachers council of Thailand?

very surprised to see harrow and shrewsbury being described as mid-tier schools but I can understand the points about high numbers of Thai students, interesting reading.

See Fletchsmile's post above yours. He explains it very well.

What was not mentioned, but is very real, is the GENERAL (not 100%) tendency of Thai students to not give a hoot about actually learning. Blatant plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty are rampant. The more Thai students in a class/school, the lower the overall academic achievement.

Many thanks to IntEdSource for compiling this thread and providing info.

My family and I are currently living in Singapore and my daughter is attending ISS International School (IB curriculum) = yearly fee is about 700K baht (Primary 1).

I am keen for her to complete her secondary education under IB curriculum, as she is 7 there is a long way to go. I have gathered info from NIST in BKK, if we need to return to Thailand this would be the school I would try to enter her into.

My retirement is basically being planned around her education, as i am not made of money.

On a different note, does the OP have any experience or info on Special Schools in Thailand (International and Thai Private - not interested in Thai State Special Schools).

My eldest girl is severely mentally disabled and living way out of the way of BKK or other large cities, unfortunately there is no suitable school available to her. She is a Thai and British national by the way.

I would love to put her back into an International Special School back here in Singapore, but the costs heading towards giddy heights for that (she was in school here before).

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

I agree 100% with your assessment regarding the top 3 schools. The only caveat being that Patana tuition ends with an IB score which is discriminated against in favour of A levels by uk unis as my son regrettably experienced.

Very informative thanks. With twins ill be forced to return to the states eventually. At $20-30k thell be going to free public school

Agreed.

I currently have 2 kids going to a Bilingual school in Khon Kaen. That costs me 24 000baht a month.

Australia is my best option with public education costing next to nothing and of the same or better standard than this school.

The bonus being they will grow up in Australian culture understanding the significance of ANZAC day, Australia Day etc..

Thanks for the excellent and informative OP.... I'm in the position where I am about to send my 4 year old son to a proper International school... My question is... Where are the real qualified teachers in Thailand?

I've met enough so-called farang school teachers here to realise that I wouldn't let them train my dog not alone my son! They are people clinging on to "the Thai dream" but I guess they do offer a valuable service in the government system and thus the University of Khao Sarn Road has been in overdrive knocking out Degree's..

I enrolled my son in Sarasas school who is apparently affiliated with Cambridge University... wow, very impressive.. except that is Cambridge, Massachusetts in the US of course.

I really appreciate your most informative post, must appreciated.

In your experience what is it like teaching these types of students? Are there any types of considerations, expectations, allowances, or restrictions in teaching this students?

What do you think of Prem in Chiang Mai?

A more complex question can an English medium school ever do a first rate job of teaching Thai - to the point when graduating high school they are fluent/native speaker/ Thai school level in reading and writing in Thai?

Learn the history of the school...Originally TSV...you'll figure this out... Is it better? It is a nice campus in a community of high priced condos, designed to support the school and community.

As for the quality and the answers to your questions...Well they are trying, but is it enough?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you think of Prem in Chiang Mai?

A more complex question can an English medium school ever do a first rate job of teaching Thai - to the point when graduating high school they are fluent/native speaker/ Thai school level in reading and writing in Thai?

Learn the history of the school...Originally TSV...you'll figure this out... Is it better? It is a nice campus in a community of high priced condos, designed to support the school and community.

As for the quality and the answers to your questions...Well they are trying, but is it enough?

I like Prem's campus and overall I think its a good school although very small - which has its own pros and cons.

I have been talking to friends who are involved with translating and I don't think it is possible or reasonable to expect fluent - native level Thai speakers in terms of reading and writing...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to send my sincere thanks to the OP provides here. This is really good. You provided several new aspects to my considerations. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I have to decide on a primary school in Bangkok for my 6 year old son. What I am thinking off:

- I don't want to pave his way up with money

- I'd rather give him the saved money later, i.e. to start a business

- No school where kids pass all examinations bcs the parents pay the school, and later these kids are accepted by renowned universities just on basis of the name of that school.

- The lessons should be mainly in English but certainly I don't mind him learning other languages, any language, be it Japanese, Thai, German, ... . He speaks English and Chinese well.

Here are 2 articles on Sataban.com about the cheapest International Schools and most expensive international schools in Thailand, which shows a difference, in terms of annual tuition fee, of more than 500,000 Baht a year from the cheapest to the most expensive one! Slightly different numbers since it is calculated as an average tuition fee per annum.

If my family were to head home to Thailand, I would try to enrole my daughter in NIST BKK. She is well into the IB curriculum at ISS school here in Singapore.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I have been doing a lot of research lately on international schools in Bangkok. We plan on moving there in the next 3-4 years at which time our daughter will be 5-6 years old. Finding a good school is a very important factor for us. I myself, grew up as an expat almost my whole life. I'm American but lived all over Asia, Europe and Africa. Growing up as a child, I attended schools in the USA and also Northern Thailand (2 years), in Germany for 5 years (I attended an American school), and Morocco for 3 years (where I attended an international French school). After doing a bit of research on schools in Bangkok for my daughter who is only 2 years old at this moment, I was very disheartened by all the negative stories I read until I came across this one which gave me hope. The prices are definitely shocking, we weren't expecting tuition this high but we will have to find a way to make it work one way or another because it is our dream to live in Thailand and like I said earlier, education is extremely important to us.

Thank you SO much for all of the info, we really appreciate it! We will be looking deeper into the top 3 tier schools you mentioned! Cheers!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a very long absence - for both personal and work-related reasons - I'm going to continue contributing to this thread. Apologies for the long absence if you asked a question and did not receive an answer.

BrainXcel, jh2001, Makhao & ExpatLove:

Thank you!

In Town:

You summarized one of the significant differences between top tier international schools (not only in Thailand, but in all countries) in respect to quality: they invest far more in ensuring that each student's individual needs are met. This is not to say that teachers at other schools do not care, but rather that it's more difficult to do so given the resources.

toenail:

You also made a very accurate observation in the differences between those teaching in mid and high tier international schools versus those elsewhere. The former tend to be those who consider this a profession, one in which they will continually develop. The latter often, though not always, teach English as a backup or to simply have the opportunity to live abroad. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I and many others began careers in education that way. However, it does mean that quality international schools are highly unlikely to hire them.

mike324:

"...it really all depends on your kid, no school can make your kid a genius..." I agree entirely with this. I do believe that the top schools are worth the investment, but only if your child is motivated and willing to take advantage of the opportunities offered. In many cases I've seen parents pay several million baht to send their children to a good international school, only to have them enroll in a university here in Thailand. While it may be understandable if they simply have the money to spend and will have a guaranteed position for their child (in a family company or through personal connections), I personally don't see it as a good decision.

long klong:

Each school has different procedures. In both I've worked at here in Thailand, interviews were conducted with multiple individuals - most often one or more of the leadership team and also departmental supervisors. In some cases this included a Thai representative, but not always. Beyond qualifications, personality and cultural awareness were taken into consideration. However, that is likely not the case at other mid and low tier schools.

Though the Thai cultural training course is mandated for teachers at international schools, I frankly do not think it is effective in ensuring that teachers who are unfamiliar with Asian and/or Thai culture will be able to adapt.

carter1882:

You make several excellent points, and I agree with all of them!

ExpatOilWorker:

When considering the top schools, they're all excellent from kindergarten to high school. At the earliest ages, the question would rather be whether you wanted your child to be significantly larger school - one that has them learning alongside many others - or in a small kindergarten focused only on that age group. There are advantages and disadvantages in either case, and it boils down to personal preference. Beyond that, any overarching plan for your child would be heavily dependent on what your aims are. University in Thailand or abroad? Ivy League or small university matched to their interests? Strong involvement on your part or allowing them to develop more independently?

Tim Dime:

Thank you, and feel free to PM me if you have you have any specific questions.

A1:

It's difficult to really recommend one over the other, as it's so heavily dependent on preference. The most obvious difference is in their curricula, American versus British versus IB, but all three provide such a high quality education that it's possible for a capable, motivated student from any of them to be accepted into a top university. As a parent, you would really need to visit each one to get a feel for the culture if you did not want a specific curriculum. I would say that in terms of international recognition, ISB would be first, followed by Patana and NIST, simply because it has been established the longest. However, all three schools are known at many of the admissions offices of universities in the UK and the US, and students applying from them may be more carefully considered than those coming from many other international schools in Thailand because of that.

dan153:

Thank you - I appreciate the kind words. I did a little bit of digging, and based on what I've been able to find, I do think they're taking the right approach in starting a new school. Given that and your daughter's age, I would have no qualms about recommending that you enroll here there versus a longer-established school. Depending on how they pursue accreditation options and present a plan for further development, you could later make a choice about keeping her there or transferring her to a school that has a demonstrated track record of getting students into good universities abroad.

recylcer:

All of the top schools put a cap on the number of Thai students (25-30% in most cases), and they have no shortage of applicants from that demographic. The expatriate population primarily represents the children of embassy and UN staff, the large multinational corporations (which do still either pay the fees or at least provide some assistance), and business owners. In the case of ISB, Patana and NIST, there is a waiting list for them as well, so the demand is there. As you point out, much of it is driven by the problems endemic in the public schools.

Satcommlee:

In my experience the mid tier schools specifically seek to hire "real" teachers. In the school in which I previously worked, we aimed for candidates with degrees in education or in their subject areas at the secondary level, as well as some sort of teacher training. There were cases when we would hire individuals without teaching qualifications if they had background in a specific area (physics, math, etc.) under the proviso that they get that training. (Contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to do this at schools in Thailand. The MOE and Kurusupa simply mandate that any such hires acquire the necessary teaching credentials within a designated time period in order to qualify for the Thai teaching license.)

At the upper mid tier and top tier schools, it's not even a question. The teachers are qualified.

Rhys:

You would probably have to be a little more specific. The best answer I can give for now is that it isn't teaching ESL. The majority of students I've interacted with at both of my positions in Thailand have already been fluent in English or at least on par with others of their age in the UK and US. That is definitely the case in my current school. Expectations are certainly high, but the school culture is such that it's also recognized that teachers are learners as well, and that the best approach is ensuring continual support and professional development.

peterkroll:

Based on your criteria, your best option would be a quality, established mid tier school, though it obviously depends on your location and budget as well.

romain22:

On the posts on your site, showing the cheapest and most expensive average tuition rates, you ask "How would you explain such a huge difference in terms of annual tuition fee when the 3 cheapest international schools in Thailand and the 3 most expensive schools in Thailand are all accredited by legitimate foreign authorities--American, French, British and more, and have trained, qualified and competent teaching staff with the required experience and diploma?"

While there are many differences that could be cited - including location (and the related costs of the land), resources, facilities, age range (which partly explains one on your list), affiliations and memberships, and others - I'll focus on the specific areas you identified in the question. As I had mentioned in my original post, the legal title of international school in Thailand necessitates registering the school as such through the MOE. Many schools have not done this and thus technically do not have claim to that title.

Those that do so usually apply for membership to ISAT, which requires that they be accredited through specific, approved organizations. Simply having accreditation through ONESQA does not qualify them, and if they fail to apply for the necessary overseas accreditation within a designated time period, ISAT rejects them for full membership. Other schools have actually lost their accreditation through those organizations; I know of several low tier schools that have faced that exact situation. The owner of another school, in an effort to make it appear as if they undergone additional external assessment, has created his own "affiliation" of schools outside of Thailand. Not all accreditation is equal, and there is a direct correlation to quality.

Similarly, not all teachers are equal. As I pointed out in my answer to Satcommlee, schools in Thailand are not actually obligated to hire teachers with teaching credentials as long as those individuals acquire the necessary training within an initial two-year period or within a one-time extension period that can be granted after that. Additionally, I have known of cases at low tier schools in which teachers were registered as non-educational staff, bypassing the process entirely. Simply perusing the staff lists of some schools results in a large number of non-education degrees and no other teaching qualification. Compare this to the upper mid tier and high tier schools, where a significant percentage of the teachers not only have such qualification, but also master's degrees in education or their subject areas.

Again, these are only two factors among many others, but it's safe to say there is a significant difference in quality as related to the difference in price.

eddieblack:

At this point I would not necessarily say that either St. Andrews chain is bad by any means, but given a choice between the two I'd lean toward those operated by Nord Anglia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great post. Really informative, detailed and nuanced. I think one of the key points you raise is not-for-profit issue. This makes a huge difference to the governance of the school and largely eliminates or at Keats reduces the potential for interference from parents or others on the running of the school, pedagogical issues, assessment, class make-up and so on. For those that complain that the fees are too high it is important to keep in mind that you have to pay good teachers a good salary to get them and keep them. I can only say that I am continually impressed at the culture of excellence that exists amongst the teaching staff at my kid's school. Not only a culture of excellence but one of continuous improvement. (Tier 1) school by your category and our reason for choosing the school was primarily based on good governance and student outcomes, the latter information being in the public domain for most schools. I wish your piece had been available ten years ago as it would have saved me a great deal of leg work. Once again, well done.

We will be moving to the Rangsit area at the end of the year, and I'm looking for a good bilingual/international school to send my 2 children. They are currently finishing Anuban 3 and will be starting next year at grade 1. Does anyone have any recommendations for this area?

I was considering trying to get them into AIT. I notice that is not one of the international schools mentioned on this list. I assume that means it would be considered tier 3? Does anyone have any experience with this school? And are the rules for a school associated with a university any different from those that govern a more traditional international school?

Thank you for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

MrJohnson:

I'm in absolute agreement. While the top schools do charge substantially more than many others, the advantages they provide are often immense (and not often discernible until your child is enrolled). Being a non-profit is also highly conducive to a more positive learning environment in most cases, though there are also non-profit schools that still struggle with the same issues as those that are for-profit. One key to overcoming this is ensuring that the school possesses strong, positive leadership on both the part of the management and the board. If they both recognize and accept their nature of their roles, and work together for the good of the school, the culture of excellence develops naturally.

Also, thank you for the very kind comments!

Monomial:

Being as far on the outskirts of Bangkok as it is, I have little personal experience with AIT International School and cannot provide a recommendation based on any first-hand knowledge. However, I would say at least three points favor it: accreditation through the Council of International Schools, the right kind of person leading it (at least in respect to a teaching and leadership background, and international experience), and a surprisingly diverse student body for such a small school. Given their fee range, it seems like a very reasonable option if price is a major concern, as most of the other international schools (particularly Harrow and ISB, both a little closer to central Bangkok) would be much higher. I would actually like to hear from parents who send their children there as well if any happen to be in this forum.

There should be no significant differences in terms of legal status or requirements due to its association with AIT, though it could possibly benefit from additional resources and support as a result.

Maybe you should try Krabi International School. www.krabiinternationalschool.com It's new. They'll open first Gen. in September 2015 They choose good quality teachers and responsible teachers to work with them. And use technology to teach students.

• Like 1