Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

don't compare house in Thailand and in the USA. USA have roaches and built with light wood that fly away with tornadoes. quality is very low.

Thai houses are in bricks.

The USA has most obese ladies when here it s very hard to find overweight people.

Tax in the USA is a pain in the butthole, even Séverin(Google man) left to Asia. most people in the USA swim in debts. by the way I m richer than the US government. :), I have no debt.

now I m in Europe, and I can not wait to be back in Thailand . Europe is for losers.

Each time you post I wonder where the heck you get your information.

In the U.S. we own a wood home of quality construction, and it is an energy efficient, insulated, well designed home.

Here in Thailand homes are predominately brick with no insulation and the primary design concerns seem to be low cost and heat dissipation. In Thailand, if it is hot outside, it is or soon will be hot inside the home.

If I lived in a tornado zone, home construction would take that into account. Likewise, if I lived in an earthquake prone area, solid brick would be my last choice.

As far as taxes, you get what you pay for. Here in Thailand taxes are low to non existent and the lack of decent infrastructure reflects that.

Your angry, usually wrong or baseless generalizations and verbal hand grenades do little or nothing to further interesting perspectives and productive conversation in this forum.

Perhaps a more reasoned approach should be considered.

Edited by SpokaneAl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you get the idea that taxes in Thailand are low or non-existent.

Sales tax is higher than the USA. Top rate income tax is about 37% or so, isn't it? (No: apparently It's been 'temporarily' reduced, for another year, to 35%)

Duty on alcohol is moderately high.

in USA, they do holes every 3 meters to put poison, if you don't do it, your house is infected by termites and other nasty insects. no protection against tornadoes in Oklahoma Nebraska and Texas. most house are built in cheep wood mounted in less than a month.

sink and water system is low quality. windows are crap, buildings are horrible . I would not put one peny in a US house.

if Thai house are crap , it's simply because they copy the USA. they want the American dream too.

if you build correctly in the Thai style, you won't have all these problems. why do you think most US citizen are now in debts? because their house are crap and cost too much to maintain . the entire USA system is generally crap, roads are crap, food is crap, airports are crap, army is crap, school system is crap, police is crap, Obama is crap,... :)

Edited by VIPinthailand

Always have a Plan B just in case life here becomes untenable. Been here for 13 years even though I never intended to stay this long. Can live anywhere but this place seems to have a magical hold on me.

sexpat

I don't know where you get the idea that taxes in Thailand are low or non-existent.

Sales tax is higher than the USA. Top rate income tax is about 37% or so, isn't it? (No: apparently It's been 'temporarily' reduced, for another year, to 35%)

Duty on alcohol is moderately high.

I stand corrected. That said, they seem to be using little or none of that money on infrastructure.

in USA, they do holes every 3 meters to put poison, if you don't do it, your house is infected by termites and other nasty insects. no protection against tornadoes in Oklahoma Nebraska and Texas. most house are built in cheep wood mounted in less than a month.

sink and water system is low quality. windows are crap, buildings are horrible . I would not put one peny in a US house.

if Thai house are crap , it's simply because they copy the USA. they want the American dream too.

if you build correctly in the Thai style, you won't have all these problems. why do you think most US citizen are now in debts? because their house are crap and cost too much to maintain . the entire USA system is generally crap, roads are crap, food is crap, airports are crap, army is crap, school system is crap, police is crap, Obama is crap,... :)

Clearly you just write things to get a rise out of others. There is no way you actually believe what you post.

Thais copy the Americans for how they build houses? America has strict build codes with houses primarily made out of wood. Have yet to see see a thai house made out of wood. Have seen a few shacks with tin or bamboo roofs with a couple of pieces of wood as support.

Also along the same lines, never seen a U.S. Built house made from reinforced concrete.

And by the way, I have helped construct both. Not sit back watching or supervising, I was the one swinging the hammer and bending the rebar. So my information is from the real world. Far from the world some posters live in.

Have you ever been to the US? Much less owned a home there?

don't compare house in Thailand and in the USA. USA have roaches and built with light wood that fly away with tornadoes. quality is very low.

The USA has most obese ladies when here it s very hard to find overweight people.

Tax in the USA is a pain in the butthole, even Séverin(Google man) left to Asia. most people in the USA swim in debts. by the way I m richer than the US government. smile.png, I have no debt.

now I m in Europe, and I can not wait to be back in Thailand . Europe is for losers.

You are a total moron.

Tax in the USA is a pain in the butthole, even Séverin(Google man) left to Asia. most people in the USA swim in debts. by the way I m richer than the US government. smile.png, I have no debt.

You are a total moron.

I'm guessing he was just trying to divert the conversation into abusive bickering, in the hope of getting the thread closed. I normally divert the discussion to rugby league if that's my objective.

And on that score there really is no comparison. The USA has a flourishing amateur league (might even be semi-professional),and played in the last World Cup- do you remember the last game against Scotland at Barton on Irwell?

On the bright side, Thailand has played a few international games - I vaguely recall a thumping by Greece - and they've got a game against Japan coming up soon

SC

Always have a Plan B just in case life here becomes untenable. Been here for 13 years even though I never intended to stay this long. Can live anywhere but this place seems to have a magical hold on me.

sexpat

Do you ever get sick of being a complete a-h0le ? One line snipers are one of the reasons many who come here simply dont post - give it a rest.

sexpat

Do you ever get sick of being a complete a-h0le ? One line snipers are one of the reasons many who come here simply dont post - give it a rest.

One-line snipers - the irony is commendable, albeit unbearable.

Perhaps he was feeling a bit Oscar Wilde - brevity is the soul of wit.

There seems to be a lot of Oscar Wildes here - or is that repeating what fey said.

By the way, fey

Are you Fay Fife

fi' Fife?

(he stuttered)

SC

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You paid $22 for Levis? w00t.gif

I just bought Wranglers at Walmart for $9.99 on sale. I think regular price is about $16. whistling.gif

Wranglers are for old men. whistling.gif

I'm still a stud.

Studs don't wear jeans nor underwear...

If young girls were not interested in old men most of you would not be here nor married. Take the females out of the equation and Thailand would be just another backpackers buckling destination. Cheaper goods and services USA vs Thailand? Usa hands down. Shop discount places like The Dollar Tree and The Dollar Store which are cheaper and the quality better than same brand name items in Thailand, if you can find them.

Usa or Thailand doesn't matter because all the things I like are expensive. I'm not a penny pincher nor a coupon cutter. I wouldn't own anything I would have to maintain so I'm not concerned with poor service, warranties or return policies. High prices were factored in when I made the choice to live here.

Wow.

I've had a home in Florida for 17 years and never exterminated once.

I better move because its too close to the water and the cool breeze may blow away the clean fresh air that I breathe here,

Its a good thing they have such crappy services here too, like fully equipped ambulances and EMT equipped fire engines,

I have seen the ambulances in Thailand,

They are vans with body bags

VIP Thailand is the sign I see on the 12/ story massage parlors

Yes, we dont have any of the problems that Thailand has,

We have a clean life here

- 1 for this topic.

I dont have a problem with the OP - it seemed like a simple enough question:

Anyone see yourself here till the end?

That's it - not a single mention of the merits of life in the US vs Thailand. Anyone looking to move on could choose to return home or move to another country - either in the region or elsewhere. It's one thing to say that the UK, Europe and Australia dont have as much to offer those on a fixed income, but unless you happen to be a US citizen that's a moot point. What might have been a discussion of the relative merits of Thailand's 'competition' for retirees seems to have gone straight down a single path. The thread has been almost completely dominated by two TVers who neither live here in Thailand nor profess any desire to live anywhere else in the region. Worst of all, an absolutely massive post from the first page was quoted repeatedly by people who've posted a single line in response - hideous etiquette.

It's easy to get into a to-and-fro when you take a stance, but to bang on about the US for 35 pages takes the cake for mine, particularly when several of the Americans who do live here tried to express an alternate view and were promptly shut down by the aforementioned arbiters of what this thread should be about, neither of whom were the OP. Epic fail.

If I can be allowed to address the actual topic, I'll be leaving Thailand in May - Cambodia for at least 6 months then review my options.

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

But you sure do spend a lot of time on "Thai"Visa. Must be something about the LOS that keeps you coming back.

People should be living in Thailand if they want to be on ,,Thai Visa,, Admin should rule on this ,,, If you don't live here Get off,,, thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

Some of us who have left Thailand have substantially more time living in Thailand, and so have more knowledge of Thailand, than many of the posters who currently live in LOS and post erroneous information.

Nonetheless, I don't object to you being on here.

- 1 for this topic.

I dont have a problem with the OP - it seemed like a simple enough question:

Anyone see yourself here till the end?

That's it - not a single mention of the merits of life in the US vs Thailand. Anyone looking to move on could choose to return home or move to another country - either in the region or elsewhere. It's one thing to say that the UK, Europe and Australia dont have as much to offer those on a fixed income, but unless you happen to be a US citizen that's a moot point. What might have been a discussion of the relative merits of Thailand's 'competition' for retirees seems to have gone straight down a single path. The thread has been almost completely dominated by two TVers who neither live here in Thailand nor profess any desire to live anywhere else in the region. Worst of all, an absolutely massive post from the first page was quoted repeatedly by people who've posted a single line in response - hideous etiquette.

It's easy to get into a to-and-fro when you take a stance, but to bang on about the US for 35 pages takes the cake for mine, particularly when several of the Americans who do live here tried to express an alternate view and were promptly shut down by the aforementioned arbiters of what this thread should be about, neither of whom were the OP. Epic fail.

If I can be allowed to address the actual topic, I'll be leaving Thailand in May - Cambodia for at least 6 months then review my options.

Haven't you only been here about five minutes?

It's really hard to understand why Americans think Thailand is expensive, especially since we can't buy houses in LOS and the import taxes are so high.

I'll presume you meant why Americans think Thailand is INexpensive.

Actually I meant that Americans think Thailand is expensive - for a third world country, and if one doesn't "live like a Thai."

I have never met an American that, if they even know Thailand is a country, thinks living there is expensive.

If one only rents, no children-dependants in Thailand, no car only motorbike then yes Thailand is awesomely cheap. You own a house, make improvements, buy a car, have children, get married, things add up and is not as cheap as you might have assumed.

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

But you sure do spend a lot of time on "Thai"Visa. Must be something about the LOS that keeps you coming back.

People should be living in Thailand if they want to be on ,,Thai Visa,, Admin should rule on this ,,, If you don't live here Get off,,, thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

I was more interested in thai visa before I moved to thailand. Restricting it to residents is a ridiculous idea.

What is the requirement for being a resident? How do you plan on enforcing this?

How about the few a-holes who offer nothing to the discussion get banned instead.

I can think of one reason for going back, at least for Americans, regardless of the pro and con merits of which place is better for any particular person.

If I understand this right, one's Thai wife can become eligible for spousal Social Security benefits (assuming the U.S. husband is eligible for SS) provided they have lived together in the U.S. for at least 5 years at some point during the marriage. That could be an important estate planning consideration

I think my wife here would kind of like to visit the U.S. at some point in the future. But I don't think she has any desire to live in the U.S. -- at least that's what she maintains prior to having visited there. However, as we hopefully get older, I'd expect to be explaining about SS to her and persuading here that, at least at some point, we probably ought to put in our required 5 years in the U.S.

That said, anyone doing so should also be aware of the divorce laws (community property or equitable distribution) that pertain in the state they're planning to move to. Since relocating to the U.S. for SS purpose also will establish residency there, and make you subject to U.S. divorce/spousal and child support laws in the event of a divorce there. That said, by the time we reach that age together, I'd imagine she'd be unlikely to be leaving me for greener pastures elsewhere.

Haven't you only been here about five minutes?

Compared to many of the longtimers, yes, and many of those same people would say that Pattaya isn't the 'real' Thailand anyway, but I do live here. If you're referring to the fact that I'm leaving after only 12 months in retirement, it was supposed to be ~6 months but I got sidetracked : such is life. I'll never be an 'old Asia hand' - started far too late in life for that - but I would like to experience something beyond Thailand (good and bad) even if my previous trip to PP was a disaster courtesy of food poisoning. Did I ever see myself living in Thailand 'till the end' ? As a weekend warrior over 18 years, absolutely, particularly during the hours spent in that fracking Departure Lounge at DM/Swampy but that was replaced by a desire to live close enough to visit without necessarily living in the Kingdom.