Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

one thing i wont miss about thailand is the constant money issue. it hovers over most interactions either in the form of questions, prices or small daily interactions in a way i dont get in the west.

Who the heck are you hanging out with? I'm around Thais all the time, professionally and socially, and I never get any of this "constant money issues" that you speak of. That's the problem with some farangs in Thailand. You associate with certain types of Thais and assume all other Thais are the same. How about get out of the gutter occasionally?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right to the end,burned at the wat.

Ditto !

Just like dear old (departed) dad. I brought him over for a 1 month holiday in 2008, when he got back (to Canada) he couldn't pack-up, close-up, visa-up and return fast enough. As he was leaving he told his friends that he wasn't ever returning and would die in Thailand. Man of his word ! (He now resides at Wat Dham Samakkee)

He was miserable in Canada. He'd had enough of the cold weather, high prices, taxes (and politics to some degree) and despite having 3 pensions and no debts, was not enjoying his golden years. Moved here, his money went further, the weather was (much) warmer, he got to get out and about more and had some "companionship" to brighten his remaining days.

I've lived in various places over the years like North America (Canada), Europe (Germany) and Thailand. Of everywhere I've been, there's no place I'd rather be than here. The whole "this place has that and that place has something else" argument has been done to death. Everyone has different tastes and different standards. Someone even commented that America has better tasting beer ! blink.png

Some of us can live comfortably and easily in situations that others would find hard to cope with. Some people have different standards of living than others. It doesn't mean your way is the "right" one and theirs are all wrong. So you need (5, 6 or 10,000 dollars) a month to live on comfortably. That doesn't mean someone else can't possibly be happy on less than $2,000/month.

Over the years I've noticed somethings about the foreigners living here. The ones that are the happiest are the ones that try to integrate into the local lifestyle/culture more. Learning the language (at least a little bit), eating the (local) cuisine, participating in activities and having Thai friends (as well as other ex-pat friends).

The ones who seem to be the unhappiest are the ones that make absolutely no effort to do any of that. They sit on their bar stools day in, day out and complain about almost everything, but primarily about how "this place" isn't like "home".

There is no "perfect" place to live in the world. If there was, it would already be overcrowded, under-maintained, too expensive and full of people whining about how things used to be, or how things are so much better somewhere else.

Totally agree. He likely can,t speak a word of Thai and lives within a area of thousands of other foreigners that are unable to cope with life outside the foreign zones. Never have all these problems the foreigners moan about. Why ? I stay far far away from the foreign zones and i don,t look nor act like a common foreigner lost without his bar girl in tow. Having problems ? Learn to speak Thai.

one thing i wont miss about thailand is the constant money issue. it hovers over most interactions either in the form of questions, prices or small daily interactions in a way i dont get in the west.

Who the heck are you hanging out with? I'm around Thais all the time, professionally and socially, and I never get any of this "constant money issues" that you speak of. That's the problem with some farangs in Thailand. You associate with certain types of Thais and assume all other Thais are the same. How about get out of the gutter occasionally?

OMG! You hit the nail on the head. Foreigners that make zero effort to learn Thai and make a small effort to fit in deserve everything they get. Who do they tend to date and marry ? Bar girls ! Without them they are totally helpless. Their nasty stick up their butt looks gets old. Put the bottle down and deal with life. You in Thailand not Germany or Sweden . Can,t handle it. Stop bitching and go home!

Right to the end,burned at the wat.

Ditto !

Just like dear old (departed) dad. I brought him over for a 1 month holiday in 2008, when he got back (to Canada) he couldn't pack-up, close-up, visa-up and return fast enough. As he was leaving he told his friends that he wasn't ever returning and would die in Thailand. Man of his word ! (He now resides at Wat Dham Samakkee)

He was miserable in Canada. He'd had enough of the cold weather, high prices, taxes (and politics to some degree) and despite having 3 pensions and no debts, was not enjoying his golden years. Moved here, his money went further, the weather was (much) warmer, he got to get out and about more and had some "companionship" to brighten his remaining days.

I've lived in various places over the years like North America (Canada), Europe (Germany) and Thailand. Of everywhere I've been, there's no place I'd rather be than here. The whole "this place has that and that place has something else" argument has been done to death. Everyone has different tastes and different standards. Someone even commented that America has better tasting beer ! blink.png

Some of us can live comfortably and easily in situations that others would find hard to cope with. Some people have different standards of living than others. It doesn't mean your way is the "right" one and theirs are all wrong. So you need (5, 6 or 10,000 dollars) a month to live on comfortably. That doesn't mean someone else can't possibly be happy on less than $2,000/month.

Over the years I've noticed somethings about the foreigners living here. The ones that are the happiest are the ones that try to integrate into the local lifestyle/culture more. Learning the language (at least a little bit), eating the (local) cuisine, participating in activities and having Thai friends (as well as other ex-pat friends).

The ones who seem to be the unhappiest are the ones that make absolutely no effort to do any of that. They sit on their bar stools day in, day out and complain about almost everything, but primarily about how "this place" isn't like "home".

There is no "perfect" place to live in the world. If there was, it would already be overcrowded, under-maintained, too expensive and full of people whining about how things used to be, or how things are so much better somewhere else.

Totally agree. He likely can,t speak a word of Thai and lives within a area of thousands of other foreigners that are unable to cope with life outside the foreign zones. Never have all these problems the foreigners moan about. Why ? I stay far far away from the foreign zones and i don,t look nor act like a common foreigner lost without his bar girl in tow. Having problems ? Learn to speak Thai.

i assume you have no problems with the local noodle vendor in the "non-foreign zone" and a discount of 5 Baht when you order your daily dinner speaking Thai... right? cheesy.gif

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Jeez, thanks for bumming me out.

sad.png

It's too easy to get swallowed up by "Thainess", and one tends to forget the real world...

The primary point I take from your post is, you deal with integrity.

That, I miss the most.

Virtually non-existent here.

Good on ya.

thumbsup.gif

integrity exists here to perhaps a higher extent that where ever you are referring to. the problem is that you havent worked out how to tap that resource. or more likely, it may not be tappable by the likes of you.

I did move to Vietnam based on only 1-month long scouting trip to country, differences were so great that it was actually very easy decision to make especially while being single.

7. Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer. You can travel around the country for month without seeing one traffic accident, and people do obey the traffic rules especially in the cities (everyone wears a helmet). Opposite to Thailand people (local and foreigners) do not drive reckless, they take all other drivers to consideration around them.

"Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer."

That is a bit over exaggerated.

I hope your other enthusiastic written differences in your posting are more accurate. ;-)

100 times safer? blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Thailand death toll per 100.000 people is a very high 38, fourth highest in list,

World average is18.

Vietnam is with nearly 25, not really 100 x safer rolleyes.gif

I know these listings on internet what makes this whole thing so weird, I haven't witnessed even one traffic accident so far. There must be lot more accidents on rural areas and maybe on highways, because in the city you hardly ever see youngsters speeding etc... Traffic culture IS very different here.

What I did witness almost daily while living in Thailand was total disregard towards others safety on streets and roads, and so I did use "100x" on my post to impress my own reception about the difference between countries.

As I stated on my post, I was merely stetting my own personal view and what I have witnessed with my own eyes.

I live in Thailand, drove a lot and drive a lot, all over Thailand.

Saw accidents, but not more than in my home country, where driving is done much faster than in Thailand.

Reckless overtaking in TH, yes, but also many who are showing to much fear, from everything.

On the end, its the outcome what counts, in my home country, 5 death in traffic p. 100.000 people,

Thailand 38, Vietnam 25, so, whatever you feel, the chance you die on a Vietnamese road is,

if you use them, not so much different deadly, compared to Thailand,

than you feel and see it, in your "own personal view." whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Right ! I don,t have a problem with the majority of Thais unlike so many foreigners. You really have to be a dumb ass to move half way around the world and expect Thailand to be home. If i remember correct this is Thailand. Thais speak Thai not German , not Russian nor barely English in most places. If you move here deal with the fact that you will likely have problems if your unwilling to speak the language. If you really believe a bar girl is going to be your guide in life keep drinking. Is that too hard to figure out?

i assume you have no problems with the local noodle vendor in the "non-foreign zone" and a discount of 5 Baht when you order your daily dinner speaking Thai... right? cheesy.gif

koo wallety tourist

"integrity exists here to perhaps a higher extent that where ever you are referring to." blink.png

Pretty vague.

"the problem is that you havent worked out how to tap that resource. or more likely, it may not be tappable by the likes of you."

Disregarding your alleged mind reading claims, just what precisely are you babbling about?

You've learned to lie and cheat as an inherent resource?

Edited by iReason

That, I miss the most.

You need to have some integrity yourself before you can expect to find it in others. In your case, you may be in for a lifelong search.

Another bar stool psychologist.

And I'm not just talking about the Thais, there are some real low life foreigners here.

The kind of "entrepreneurs" that would be jailed in the west.

Shove your conjectures.

biggrin.png

I can't even get what I have in the US in Thailand because Thailand is a rotten, smelly rathole. It's great for a vacation and then I need to get back to a first world environment.

As for health care, a lot of guys in LOS are retired and eligible for Medicare in the States. It's not expensive.

People who dive into a $1,500 a month lifestyle in Thailand are living as one would live in a slum in the US. I have never seen a middle class apartment, condo or house in Thailand that has the amenities that my US house has. Not even close with central aircon, full Western kitchen, Western bathrooms, garage with opener, and on we go. It's paid for so all I have is reasonable taxes, insurance and utilities. That's at most $500 per month all in and I couldn't rent that in Thailand for that much money.

A lot of guys go to Thailand to retire because they can't afford their home country. Then they live like a pauper in a cheap apartment and eat noodles and tell me it's cheaper.

No thanks. thumbsup.gif

Smelly it may be, people may be interested in only getting something out of you and "LOS" may be one of the biggest oxymorons, but it IS possible to have very comfortable life in Thailand. Given all the pluses and minuses, it does offer most bang for the buck, figuratively and literaly.

Health care in the US is a grand scam. Most of US doctors are greedy rats afraid only of lawsuits. When you sit in that little compartment and his highness shows up, all he sees in you is his $300+ racquet fee. The faster he gets you out of there, the sooner he can bag another $300. So much for the quality of care in the US. As for the cost, I pay for my doctor visits here (international hospitals with US/EU trained doctors) about the same I was paying in the US for just copays and deductables (after about $1200 a month in insurance premiums). You have be to half-dead to be eligible for Medicare and even then only if you have money to barely survive, otherwise there are copays.

My standard of living in Thailand is far superior to what I had in the US. Even not considering the fact that I have an extra 8 hours a day to spend on myself and not work. I live in a more comfortable place, in a more comfortable climate, in a concrete structure (as opposted to a plywood box), I don't have to cook or clean and I travel whenever and wherever I want to. I can go and eat top quality food on 87th floor overlooking BKK skyline for less than the price of a steak in the US. I can have a taxi pick me up and drive me to the airport, etc.

As for the quality of homes, it all depends on what you make out of it. American homes are cookie-cutter, beige, plaster-covered wooden boxes with squiky floors. You can hear even cat walking on the upper floor. Fixtures in most American homes are pathetic designs from 50s and 60s. If you want to get anything more decent, you better be a millionaire. Do you or any of your friends have European designed fixtures? I haven't seen one single home with non-standard fixtures (never mind the price tag of homes being over $1mil).

I don't know where you live, but standard property tax is about 1% in most desirable places. Most of my friends have homes of $1mil +. So they are paying $10,000+ in just property taxes every year. Add to that $200-300 a month for maintenance (even for houses, because they live in "gated comunities) and it's about $15k a year down the drain. You can travel for one year around the world (avoiding "developed" countries) for $15k.

My rought estimate is that for comparable quality of life, Thailand is 2-3 times cheaper than the US.

That, I miss the most.

You need to have some integrity yourself before you can expect to find it in others. In your case, you may be in for a lifelong search.

And I'm not just talking about the Thais, there are some real low life foreigners here.

Shove your conjectures.

biggrin.png

Aaah, I see. Everyone else is scum and you're just beyond reproach. If you're constantly around con men and swindlers, perhaps it's not them but YOU. You've got issues buddy.

That, I miss the most.

Shove your conjectures.

biggrin.png

Aaah, I see. Everyone else is scum and you're just beyond reproach. If you're constantly around con men and swindlers, perhaps it's not them but YOU. You've got issues buddy.

Another beer goggle diagnosis.

In general, Integrity and business here, is as much an oxymoron as military intelligence.

From the top down.

And don't distort my words with your mind set.

I didn't say everyone else is scum.

Edited by iReason

Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

That does explain a lot about why those who've left are still posting on TV....although you seem to have a severe case of "selective reading." But I hope all the malcontents and miserable mugs who are still in Thailand read your Vietnam post and decide to follow you out there. Maybe they'll prefer a Communist country to what we have in the LOS.

It's actually good that people who left share their experiences, even though probably most of them do not want to have anything to do with "LOS." Why are you so afraid of people who think differently from you?

That, I miss the most.

Shove your conjectures.

biggrin.png

Trust....integrity....is in the eye of the beholder.....unfortunately....many need an extra pair of eyes....

Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

That does explain a lot about why those who've left are still posting on TV....although you seem to have a severe case of "selective reading." But I hope all the malcontents and miserable mugs who are still in Thailand read your Vietnam post and decide to follow you out there. Maybe they'll prefer a Communist country to what we have in the LOS.

It's actually good that people who left share their experiences, even though probably most of them do not want to have anything to do with "LOS." Why are you so afraid of people who think differently from you?

So you only want to hear one side? It's up to you if you've already made up your mind, but many others have not. When you read comments like MN, don't you wonder why so many others have such vastly different and contradicting opinions? Aren't you even a little curious to know why that is?

I did move to Vietnam based on only 1-month long scouting trip to country, differences were so great that it was actually very easy decision to make especially while being single.

7. Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer. You can travel around the country for month without seeing one traffic accident, and people do obey the traffic rules especially in the cities (everyone wears a helmet). Opposite to Thailand people (local and foreigners) do not drive reckless, they take all other drivers to consideration around them.

"Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer."

That is a bit over exaggerated.

I hope your other enthusiastic written differences in your posting are more accurate. ;-)

100 times safer? blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Thailand death toll per 100.000 people is a very high 38, fourth highest in list,

World average is18.

Vietnam is with nearly 25, not really 100 x safer rolleyes.gif

I know these listings on internet what makes this whole thing so weird, I haven't witnessed even one traffic accident so far. There must be lot more accidents on rural areas and maybe on highways, because in the city you hardly ever see youngsters speeding etc... Traffic culture IS very different here.

What I did witness almost daily while living in Thailand was total disregard towards others safety on streets and roads, and so I did use "100x" on my post to impress my own reception about the difference between countries.

As I stated on my post, I was merely stetting my own personal view and what I have witnessed with my own eyes.

I live in Thailand, drove a lot and drive a lot, all over Thailand.

Saw accidents, but not more than in my home country, where driving is done much faster than in Thailand.

Reckless overtaking in TH, yes, but also many who are showing to much fear, from everything.

On the end, its the outcome what counts, in my home country, 5 death in traffic p. 100.000 people,

Thailand 38, Vietnam 25, so, whatever you feel, the chance you die on a Vietnamese road is,

if you use them, not so much different deadly, compared to Thailand,

than you feel and see it, in your "own personal view." whistling.gif

No idea what you're talking about mate.

You say that in Thailand you don't see more accidents than in your home country, but in the next line you admit that the traffic death rate in Thailand is a whopping 800% higher.

Then you give the death figures for Vietnam, which are about 35% lower than Thailand, and continue to say that the risk of death in Vietnam is same same.

Don,t you just love the foreign criminals here.

That, I miss the most.

Shove your conjectures.

biggrin.png

This post is dedicated to the farang <deleted> with his better half from Isaan who was in the TOT office in the N Mark Plaza Bang Kapi last year.

Your first problem was gobbing off about the service in English, which at least half a dozen of the Thai women in the office could understand.

Your second problem was your long haired translator and her attitude and the way she was dressed.

Your third problem was you actually assumed she could speak Engerlish.

Your fourth problem was believing what she had told you, "no can do"

Your fifth problem was you know eff all about Thai culture, the office staff were more than able to help you, the problem was your teelak couldnt explain it to you in English, think she was more concerend with getting you to the gold shop.

The woman sat right opposite me understood every word you said and was going to offer to help, I told her in Thai not to bother, cant be assed writing in Thai it would only be deleted, never mind when I referred to you as "man" the Thais were pissing themselves.

The slapper you were with heard every word and scurried out the shop like a rat deserting a sinking ship, lost all face, and you, you gormless tawat didnt have a clue what had just taken place.

Welcome to Thailand.

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You tried living a western lifestyle in a Southeast Asian country. Of course it was expensive for you here!

Duh!

stickman is finally leaving so it cant all be good news in los ,he was nice and cosy so why would he leave if it was so perfect ??

Maybe he woke up to the fact, its time to get a haircut and get a real job.

Why dont you ask him, fire off an e-mail to him.

Its all nice and cosy up where I am.

correct ! This is Thailand ! never have understood that logic. Move here and act like you never left home. the only difference is the make believe Thai bar girl girlfriend who you have no idea what she is saying while she chats with her Thai boyfriend on the phone.

Huh????

You tried living a western lifestyle in a Southeast Asian country. Of course it was expensive for you here!

Duh!

This post is dedicated to the farang <deleted> with his better half from Isaan who was in the TOT office in the N Mark Plaza Bang Kapi last year.

Your first problem was gobbing off about the service in English, which at least half a dozen of the Thai women in the office could understand.

Your second problem was your long haired translator and her attitude and the way she was dressed.

Your third problem was you actually assumed she could speak Engerlish.

Your fourth problem was believing what she had told you, "no can do"

Your fifth problem was you know eff all about Thai culture, the office staff were more than able to help you, the problem was your teelak couldnt explain it to you in English, think she was more concerend with getting you to the gold shop.

The woman sat right opposite me understood every word you said and was going to offer to help, I told her in Thai not to bother, cant be assed writing in Thai it would only be deleted, never mind when I referred to you as "man" the Thais were pissing themselves.

The slapper you were with heard every word and scurried out the shop like a rat deserting a sinking ship, lost all face, and you, you gormless tawat didnt have a clue what had just taken place.

Welcome to Thailand.

He should have gone on his own then.