Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

-snip-

salaries are just to low in USA and in Europe too. it s just too hard in farangland to make a decent living with a normal job.

Some of us who didn't spend our lives flipping burgers at McDonald's are going to disagree with that. Some of us have a home and all of the trappings in our home country, and still travel anywhere we want at will.

Please don't tell me I'm lucky. As someone once said, "The harder I worked, the luckier I became."

I agree with the idea that hard work and good planning provides one with choices and options. I would be a sad man if I had to move to Thailand purely for the economics of my situation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure if you return to Europe and work you will have to pay tax. But if you work in Thailand you will have to pay tax; in a decent-paying job you will be in a 40% tax band. At least that was the rate when I worked in Thailand. The only way you won't pay income tax in Thailand is if you don't work work or if you plan to work illegally under the radar. It's not an equal comparison that you are making.

actually it's you presenting a comparison that limps like a three-legged dog. "VIPinThailand" clearly stated that in Thailand he does not have to work because of the taxes he saves.

VIPinThailand

if I return home to work, problem is the tax. I will be fully resident and I will have to work to compensate what I lose in tax. why should I pay tax anyway?

I don't file anything as I don't make any money in Thailand...

-snip-

salaries are just to low in USA and in Europe too. it s just too hard in farangland to make a decent living with a normal job.

Some of us who didn't spend our lives flipping burgers at McDonald's are going to disagree with that. Some of us have a home and all of the trappings in our home country, and still travel anywhere we want at will.

Please don't tell me I'm lucky. As someone once said, "The harder I worked, the luckier I became."

Over my years in Thailand, it became obvious that most of those who constantly criticized their home countries, and used all those awful things they came up with as justification to live in Thailand, never had much of a life in their home countries to begin with.

The economy where I'm living is booming. And I'm not flipping burgers. It may not last, in fact, won't last, but I'm going to take advantage of it while it does. There's still plenty of money to be made in the west.

what is your age?

For sure if you return to Europe and work you will have to pay tax. But if you work in Thailand you will have to pay tax; in a decent-paying job you will be in a 40% tax band. At least that was the rate when I worked in Thailand. The only way you won't pay income tax in Thailand is if you don't work work or if you plan to work illegally under the radar. It's not an equal comparison that you are making.

actually it's you presenting a comparison that limps like a three-legged dog. "VIPinThailand" clearly stated that in Thailand he does not have to work because of the taxes he saves.

VIPinThailand

if I return home to work, problem is the tax. I will be fully resident and I will have to work to compensate what I lose in tax. why should I pay tax anyway?

". . . he does not have to work because of the taxes he saves."

Somewhere in there is a circular argument that is beyond my comprehension, and I worked for several years as a tax preparer.

the problem is the tax on residence and tax on citizenship. European citizen don't have to report the money they make in their own country if they are not resident.

in Thailand you report only the money you make in Thailand. the money you make in Europe doesn't have to be reported in your income .not their business as money is made outside of Thailand.

even if you have a shit paid job in Thailand just to keep you busy , the rich pay nothing in tax....

why do you think people are leaving their country to live on a yacht?or relinquish their US citizenship..

as for US guys, it s another problem as US tax everybody worldwide but for many farangs, here in Thailand, returning to their home country to take residence , is like writing a big white cheque to Mr taxman.

I remember that President Sarkozy wanted to tax directly bonds/auctions in 2009 as people use this system to avoid(legally) to pay tax .... it failed because they said people will leave and invest in another countries (UK by example)

Edited by VIPinthailand

Not for good, unless I die prematurely. I plan to retire to Scotland where I can sit in the bar all day nipping into the bookies, having long conversations about the meaning of life and experiences.

Buying a little cottage in the country, walking up the mountains with a tent. Fishing etc.

Thailand is no place for an old man, unless they are delusional or haven't come to terms that sex is over-rated.

You obviously don't have a bone problem like me.........smile.png

Is that bone or boner you have in mind?biggrin.png

he's probably referring to a boner. don't know where this guy is coming from, but the desire does not wane with age it's only the flesh thats mortal.

VIPinThailand

Somewhere in there is a circular argument that is beyond my comprehension, and I worked for several years as a tax preparer.

could it be that a "tax preparer" does not comprehend "no taxes"?

-what part of "no taxes in Thailand" is it that requires an explanation?

-is it not logical to acknowledge that a high income individual saves a bundle if living in Thailand paying no income tax on his offshore proceeds (assuming he is not American)?

-and is it beyond comprehension that the afore-mentioned individual is covering all (and perhaps more) of his expenses in Thailand with the amount of tax he saved?

VIPinThailand

-is it not logical to acknowledge that a high income individual saves a bundle if living in Thailand paying no income tax on his offshore proceeds (assuming he is not American)?

-and is it beyond comprehension that the afore-mentioned individual is covering all (and perhaps more) of his expenses in Thailand with the amount of tax he saved?

When one works, that income often generates taxes due. For example if one earned $100 and had to pay $20 in taxes, he/she would still be ahead by $80.

I guess my point is that income is the driver, not taxes. There is a separate argument to be made that because of high taxes, the remaining income is not worth the effort.

Anyway, I think we are getting a bit out into the weeds on this.

Cheers.

Edited by SpokaneAl

i give up, you win tongue.png even though you talk about work as opposed to the OP who clearly stated he does not work in Thailand but would be forced to work in his home country because of less income due to taxes.

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You are right and if you have a family with kids in schools and a mortgage on your house it gets even far worse!

My brother, who lives in Belgium, was here this summer and has a family with 3 kids like me, but older kids. We live a frugal life to cope with all the increasing cost and spend at least 50% more than my brother!

What are the differences, even mostly using local ingredients for our food? Meat is the same price, vegetables and fruit are more expensive here than in most of the western world, same as milk, beer, cheese, cereals, let alone wine...

Than you have high interest, 7% on our mortgage and only 100,000 Baht is tax deductable on relative high income tax of up to 35%.

Try to buy a car that doesn't guzzle gas and you pay twice the European price, if you finance it you pay extreme interest too.

Send kids to bi-lingual or international schools in stead of the Thai schools where they at least learn something else than standing in line and barking the alphabet and you are bankrupting yourself... I recently discovered that International schools in Holland, my home country, are less than half the price of Thailand....

The problem in Thailand is that it is run by a small group that skims all the money out of the country's lower and middle class. They own the whole chains from animal food to meat in the shop and from fertilizer to vegetables and fruit in the shop. Thai products are cheaper in the US and Europe, how is that possible? Because those countries make sure there is competition in most sectors in the economy. The ruling class in Thailand makes sure they have no competition and by doing so robbing their own people dry!

[/v], ,

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You are right and if you have a family with kids in schools and a mortgage on your house it gets even far worse!

My brother, who lives in Belgium, was here this summer and has a family with 3 kids like me, but older kids. We live a frugal life to cope with all the increasing cost and spend at least 50% more than my brother!

What are the differences, even mostly using local ingredients for our food? Meat is the same price, vegetables and fruit are more expensive here than in most of the western world, same as milk, beer, cheese, cereals, let alone wine...

Than you have high interest, 7% on our mortgage and only 100,000 Baht is tax deductable on relative high income tax of up to 35%.

Try to buy a car that doesn't guzzle gas and you pay twice the European price, if you finance it you pay extreme interest too.

Send kids to bi-lingual or international schools in stead of the Thai schools where they at least learn something else than standing in line and barking the alphabet and you are bankrupting yourself... I recently discovered that International schools in Holland, my home country, are less than half the price of Thailand....

The problem in Thailand is that it is run by a small group that skims all the money out of the country's lower and middle class. They own the whole chains from animal food to meat in the shop and from fertilizer to vegetables and fruit in the shop. Thai products are cheaper in the US and Europe, how is that possible? Because those countries make sure there is competition in most sectors in the economy. The ruling class in Thailand makes sure they have no competition and by doing so robbing their own people dry!

[/v], ,

I am simply too busy in Thailand now having fun and living much more cheaply than in my home country to read your very long post. ;) And playing tennis at the free tennis courts.

What is your point please?

I do consider myself lucky

But I found the opposite of you because in the USA the harder I worked the more the govt took....the more unlucky

I felt.

Lucky for me decades ago I realized the smarter I worked... the less I was required to work & also kept more

to the point I consider myself lucky to have exited that system at 50. I visit from time to time

But 2 weeks is plenty time "for my wife & I" to remember why we left.

For those who find it (US living) better I am happy for them & also happy for others

like us who have found their comfort elsewhere.

Edited by mania

-snip-

Over my years in Thailand, it became obvious that most of those who constantly criticized their home countries, and used all those awful things they came up with as justification to live in Thailand, never had much of a life in their home countries to begin with.

The economy where I'm living is booming. And I'm not flipping burgers. It may not last, in fact, won't last, but I'm going to take advantage of it while it does. There's still plenty of money to be made in the west.

Its not all about the money.

Some people that have the option chooses to enjoy the fruits while still not being old.

Some people enjoy the fruits of their labour when they retire when they are 65 years old.

I dont need 100 million USD. Im just happy with having a comfortable lifestyle in Thailand and being able to travel to other countries.

Everyone is different.

Some people have options, some people dont.

-snip-

Its not all about the money.

Some people that have the option chooses to enjoy the fruits while still not being old.

Some people enjoy the fruits of their labour when they retire when they are 65 years old.

I dont need 100 million USD. Im just happy with having a comfortable lifestyle in Thailand and being able to travel to other countries.

Everyone is different.

Some people have options, some people dont.

It shouldn't be about the money, but often times it is. I find that the farangs who complain the most and loudest almost always have financial problems. And it's compounded by women issues. They have to blame someone--although never themselves--so they blame the Thais.

I will have to work to compensate what I lose in tax

Interesting theory.

I didn't quite get that either. He lives in Thailand and pays no tax on his savings. He doesn't work here. He goes back to Europe and suddenly his savings are taxed so he doesn't have enough to live on so has to work. Why are his savings only taxed when he is in Europe. I know some countries have double taxation agreements with Thailand and you could opt to have them taxed here at 0% if you don't declare them. But is that is what's happening? Only the poster can tell us.

VIPinThailand

But what tax does he save? If he doesn't work in Europe he doesn't pay tax. Or are we talking some other kind of tax like a residence tax.

VIPinThailand

VIPinThailand isn't a high income individual. The other day he was asking about the viability of selling crepes in his local market. Unless he is Auntie Annie, of course.

VIPinThailand isn't a high income individual. The other day he was asking about the viability of selling crepes in his local market. Unless he is Auntie Annie, of course.

my comment does not apply exclusively to TV member "VIPinThailand" but it applies to all high income individuals who selected a tax free or low tax residence (not necessarily Thailand) instead of being robbed of half their income (potentially even more) by a taxman.

what is hard to understand?double taxation is for USA people., Europeans just need to not take any residence at all, and they become tax free.

So can legally live in thailand and earn money from a source outside of thailand and not have to pay any tax in thailand by the official thai rules?

what is hard to understand?double taxation is for USA people., Europeans just need to not take any residence at all, and they become tax free.

So can legally live in thailand and earn money from a source outside of thailand and not have to pay any tax in thailand by the official thai rules?[/quote

sounds reasonable to me

Everyone rationalizes their actions in order to justify their decisions, based on some pretext... It's human nature, even when their statements really don't pass the smell test... In this case, I'm not sure how anyone could state that living in Thailand is more expensive than living in the US... Yes, crap you buy in Walmart is cheaper and electronic gadgets are cheaper due to little or no import duties being imposed on imported good, while at the same time the cost of day-to-day staples rise dramatically...

One factor alone will blow your budget in the US over what you spend in Thailand and that is health care... Unless you and your family are fortunate enough to be covered by a health-care program under which you have no premiums, you will be sorely reminded of the ever-growing cost of health care in the US on your return... And please don't forget that health care insurance coverage is now mandatory in the US...

In 2006, the average family in the US spent an average of $6,400 on health care per year...

In 2014, the average family in the US spent an average of $16,500 on health care insurance and costs per year...

Using the above example, health care, my current annual premiums in the US for 70/30 coverage with a $4500 deductible is $10,860 per year and this is through a retired execs program with a former employer, thus reflecting a 20% discount... My annual premiums in Thailand for 100/100 coverage with $0 deductible is $2,140 USD...

Of course I have just returned to Thailand a few months ago, so perhaps my rose-colored glasses need adjustment, but my cost of living has dropped significantly since moving back... To the tune of being 45% cheaper to live in Thailand vs the USA, while having a better lifestyle...

To each their own, it's what makes the world go round, but please don't blow smoke up our skirts...

You are or must have been self-employed to have been paying astronomical health insurance rates such as those you quoted above.

In the past 5 years, my insurance premiums have not changed much. I pay for 20% of the cost for health insurance, and my employer pays the remaining 80%. This amounts to about $390/month out of my pocket -- mind you, pre-tax.

My family and I rarely get sick, thus we almost never have to see a doctor, or even go to a hospital for treatment. When we do see a doctor, the co-pay is a mere $10. There are no other fees. Dental care is also covered, and two visits per year are free.

In my opinion, some people are fortunate, and others are not. Do I pay over $16K per year in health insurance?... hell no!

at 16k i would take the risk of no insurance and bank the money if i was under 50, but thats just me.

you can quote me on that.

Not quite true. A private pension from a UK source is taxed at source even if paid in Thailand.

So can legally live in thailand and earn money from a source outside of thailand and not have to pay any tax in thailand by the official thai rules?

Not so sure that it is official, more that they get away with it. It is a long time since I have been involved in it so I'm not sure of the current situation but you used to gain residency here for tax purposes after 180 days in a year. Any income sent to Thailand was taxable. Tax was paid by those requiring tax clearance to leave the country and was done at the time of issuing those certificates. When the tax clearance certificates system was dropped the mechanism for collecting tax disappeared along with it.

What is this "double taxation of USA people" that you talk about?

I have US based income that potentially generates US income taxes (depending on the income amount, and after deductions, exemptions etc) and, as a US citizen, is not reported nor taxed in Thailand.

If I earned income outside the U.S., the first $99,200 (in 2014) is excluded from US income taxes, but do assume it would be taxed in Thailand.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I have US based income that potentially generates US income taxes (depending on the income amount, and after deductions, exemptions etc) and, as a US citizen, is not reported nor taxed in Thailand.

If I earned income outside the U.S., the first $99,200 (in 2014) is excluded from US income taxes, but do assume it would be taxed in Thailand.

if a U.S. citizen has investment income outside the U.S. it is taxed fully minus taxes paid abroad if a double tax agreement with the taxing country exists.

the tax free amount of $99.2k applies only when earned by work. if this income (whether investment or work does not matter) is generated in Thailand then Thai income tax applies but can be offset from U.S. taxes due to the existing double tax agreement.

Are you saying that US citizens don't have to report or pay taxes in Thailand whereas other non Thai nationals do.

I am not talking taxes from employment I am talking taxes from overseas investments imported into Thailand.