Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

well we do have a kick ass Militarytongue.png and our taxes did help produce a realistic film of landing a man on the moonlaugh.pnglaugh.png

And those were paid for by your property taxes?

On a more serious note,

I believe you have been completely incapable of naming any service in the US that is better than the equivalent in Thailand, financed by your US property taxes. Or, in fact, any service at all provided in the US, not provided in Thailand and financed by your US property taxes.

Epic fail!

Well done!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well we do have a kick ass Militarytongue.png and our taxes did help produce a realistic film of landing a man on the moonlaugh.pnglaugh.png

On a more serious note,

I believe you have been completely incapable of naming any service in the US that is better than the equivalent in Thailand, financed by your US property taxes. Or, in fact, any service at all provided in the US, not provided in Thailand and financed by your US property taxes.

Epic fail!

Well done!

again you are concentrating on a single word rather than the context of the conversation

now you want to concentrate on property taxes

Ok have it your way

Property taxes finance education, would you like to argue that the education system in Thailand is superior to the one in the US

Property taxes finance local government services, like building code enforcement, like to argue that building code enforcement in Thailand is superior to the one in the US

Property tax support local infrastructure such as clean water distribution, street cleaning, local law enforcement, community centers, parks and recreation, etc etc etc

Which of these would you like to argue are superior in Thailand

Property taxes finance education, would you like to argue that the education system in Thailand is superior to the one in the US

Which two schools are we comparing?

Inner city Detroit Vs Korat?

I thought we were comparing The US and Thailand

I am not familiar with this other two countries

On a more serious note,

Epic fail!

Well done!

again you are concentrating on a single word rather than the context of the conversation

Ok have it your way

Property taxes finance local government services, like building code enforcement, like to argue that building code enforcement in Thailand is superior to the one in the US

Property tax support local infrastructure such as clean water distribution, street cleaning, local law enforcement, community centers, parks and recreation, etc etc etc

you left out the most important thing when you dial 911 in America a real ambulance comes a real fire truck comes EMT technicians come fully loaded equipment

is available and they are trained to assist you in every emergency where in Thailand they come with body bags and newspapers

But regardless of whether a property tax is or is not implemented in Thailand the fact remains that the Tax liability paid in the US is a premium that supports services not available in Thailand,

I think your statement is entirely wrong.

What services do you get for your property tax in the US, that you Thais don't get free in Thailand?

Cleanliness like sweeping streets, safe water at the tap, health dept. inspections of restaurants, better roads with traffic laws enforced, litter picked up although it's cultural to not litter, clean air, usable clean sidewalks, street lights that work...

There's simply a big difference between Thailand and a first world country.

I never meant to imply that I couldn't live cheaper in Thailand. I simply won't live "like a Thai" and I say that without getting too specific. If I was really pinched for money I might live in Thailand but at my age I'd have concerns about health care and other issues which might make me wish I was back "home."

I see people post that they can't afford to live in their home countries so they retire to Thailand, and then I ask myself what they are going to do when their health begins to fail. Not all costs can be put onto a monthly spread sheet.

Cheers

oh yeah... USA houses are very strong and very safe.... I feel safer in the USA.

USA quality #1.

hey, I can see pieces of your high quality house flying over my head. smile.png

Nonsense

what do you think would happen to a Thai ,or for that matter any other neighborhood in the world hit by a EF5 category tornado

I find it difficult to think that there is any one who would argue that building codes in Thailand are stronger than the US

or their endorsement better than the US

I live in a concrete floored/walled house with a steel frame roof.

I might lose some windows and tiles, but confident the house and lower floor would remain intact.

Wood Vs Tornado reminds me of the three little pigs story.

Don't care about building codes, wood don't cut it.

you need to replace the windows with locking shutters, that way the windows won't break and slice your head off.

HC.... That is a thorough post. My wife joined me for a while when I was working in the USA last year and she pointed out that meats and seafood were cheaper in the markets there than in Thailand. Plus, the seafood tasted better, likely as it was not preserved with nasty stuff. Vegetables and fruits are definitely more expensive in the USA, about 3-4 times what they are in LOS. Most off the shelf items in the grocery stores were cheaper. Medical care is the big hitter in the USA, but if you can avoid that, it is indeed cheaper in the USA these days if you can find inexpensive housing.

Yep. The beef has gone up recently, but the quality is far superior and still cheaper than LOS. Some veggies are cheaper in Thailand, but not much of a variety. Ever buy a spaghetti squash or Brussels Sprouts in LOS?

The key in America is to work hard at that job that pays so well, long enough to be debt free and have your house free and clear. Then stay in good health, and life is far less expensive, with far more variety and benefits, than in SE Asia.

Oh yes, "THAT job" !, and "your house free and clear" ! I wish I had only known . Thanks for telling us so now we know!

yes indeed. We all can work really hard and all will get a house we own clear of debt. Yep, the tens of millions at minimum wage, two jobs, for sure!

Gosh....a lot of sensitive people here when it comes to Thailand vs USA, trying to compare which is better or which is cheaper.

Get over it ....Can't compare apples to oranges. Question is which suits you best for your circumstances?

I have choosen to live in Thailand because that's the right decision for me and the family. I didn't choose Thailand because I wanted to live in a nanny state....quite the opposite, Thailand NOT being a nanny state is one of many reasons for choosing to live in Thailand. I am from the US so I know that everything said about the US in support is true. What is also true you are paying througn the nose for it .....TAXES. US has even figured out how to tax you taking a dump......sewer fees!

Personally I don't need 99% of the superior services provided by Taxes paid in the US.....so if Thailand's standard is less ....so be it. The effect on me is minimal and worth in savings far outweighs the cost. Don't get me wrong....Even though I live in Thailand I STILL think the US is a great place to live...just was never a fan of the tax system ....still pay US taxes (property, state, and Federal)...unfortunately ...another one of the costs of being a US citizen.

Again not knocking the US....just saying, I've moved (Thailand) and I'm happy here, have a good life, and a great family. Seems most here are seeing the trees and missing the forest....Oh well

For the purpose of this discussion I think it is necessary to note that Most Americans are not as fortunate as you to be able to afford a $580,000 home or to have a German citizenship and as this is a discussion of the affordability of Thailand vs Us not apropos.

Let me also answer this in what might sound like an arrogant response:P

But it would be helpful in achieving a consensus to talk in averages,

Many of as exist at the far ends of the spectrum,(I am not saying which end I belong:P ) but we are not representative and as such irrelevant to the issue at hand

on an unrelated note, being familiar with the areas in FL you mention , and given the description of your humble adobe:lol: I would be willing to bet you were located in either Ormond Beach, Port Orange if on the intercoastal , or Ponce Ilnlet

I used to keep my boat in the inlet Harbor Marina and loved to frequent Inlet Harbor restaurant, I loved to seat on the deck, consume large quantities of my avatar, and watch novice boaters trying to negotiate the sharp turn of the marina outlet in low tide , especialy with a single motor and the bimini top up on a windy day:lol: those familiar with power boats will know exactly what I am talking about

i [not so] humbly beg to disagree that by talking about averages we can reach a consensus. it would only be generalising, not pin pointing and lead to wrong conclusions. good examples of misleading generalising are median prices of homes in any given country or the information "when living in the Greatest Nation on Earth™ the income tax per capita in my household was $ 13,625 per annum" by adding my two dogs to the calculation.

averaging gives also a totally wrong impression because the tax situation of a U.S. citizen living abroad is completely different from that of a Brit, a Tcherman or an Aussie.

by the way, one of your guesses hit the nail on the head. whenever i returned to the marina and i saw from far the American flag blown sideaways, cold sweat started running down my back. i was a boating novice (switching from a 5m motorboat i owned years ago to a 38' without proper training). when i finally managed to do a sequence of a 90º, 180º, 90º and a reverse to moor my boat i was drenched in sweat and did not really appreciate the standing applause of people like you. i don't even dare to think how my performance would have been having only a single engine instead of my two Volvos sad.png

Gosh....a lot of sensitive people here when it comes to Thailand vs USA, trying to compare which is better or which is cheaper.

Get over it ....Can't compare apples to oranges. Question is which suits you best for your circumstances?

I have choosen to live in Thailand because that's the right decision for me and the family. I didn't choose Thailand because I wanted to live in a nanny state....quite the opposite, Thailand NOT being a nanny state is one of many reasons for choosing to live in Thailand. I am from the US so I know that everything said about the US in support is true. What is also true you are paying througn the nose for it .....TAXES. US has even figured out how to tax you taking a dump......sewer fees!

Personally I don't need 99% of the superior services provided by Taxes paid in the US.....so if Thailand's standard is less ....so be it. The effect on me is minimal and worth in savings far outweighs the cost. Don't get me wrong....Even though I live in Thailand I STILL think the US is a great place to live...just was never a fan of the tax system ....still pay US taxes (property, state, and Federal)...unfortunately ...another one of the costs of being a US citizen.

Again not knocking the US....just saying, I've moved (Thailand) and I'm happy here, have a good life, and a great family. Seems most here are seeing the trees and missing the forest....Oh well

I dont think that most of as are missing forest from the trees, I know there is a lot to read in this thread and not possible to read all replies,and or cut through the minutia of arguing individual points

I have not read all of them also

but most supporters of the US side take pains to say that at this point of our life Thailand is not for as, but at an other earlier time it was ,or might be again.

We , take the reasonable in our opinion stance that life in Thailand is less expensive , than in the US, but only because you get less,

and if less is what you want, or need. then Thailand is better for you, Indeed , if less is what you need Thailand might be superior to the US,because in the US , less might not be an option

You say that one of the reasons you chose Thailand is because Thailand is not a "nanny state" .

At this stage of your life that'a a reasonable option, but perhaps later on in life when you are older and not able to care for your self in the ways you can now, a "nanny state" might be more desirable.

It was not always for me, but as I am getting older and face medical issues, It is becoming more so,

perhaps I am over reacting and when my medical issues stabilize and I learn to manage them better Thailand might become a more viable option for me again.

,I wish you and your family the of best luck

Cheers smile.png

HC.... That is a thorough post. My wife joined me for a while when I was working in the USA last year and she pointed out that meats and seafood were cheaper in the markets there than in Thailand. Plus, the seafood tasted better, likely as it was not preserved with nasty stuff. Vegetables and fruits are definitely more expensive in the USA, about 3-4 times what they are in LOS. Most off the shelf items in the grocery stores were cheaper. Medical care is the big hitter in the USA, but if you can avoid that, it is indeed cheaper in the USA these days if you can find inexpensive housing.

Yep. The beef has gone up recently, but the quality is far superior and still cheaper than LOS. Some veggies are cheaper in Thailand, but not much of a variety. Ever buy a spaghetti squash or Brussels Sprouts in LOS?

The key in America is to work hard at that job that pays so well, long enough to be debt free and have your house free and clear. Then stay in good health, and life is far less expensive, with far more variety and benefits, than in SE Asia.

Oh yes, "THAT job" !, and "your house free and clear" ! I wish I had only known . Thanks for telling us so now we know!

yes indeed. We all can work really hard and all will get a house we own clear of debt. Yep, the tens of millions at minimum wage, two jobs, for sure!
And whatever you do, don't go through a divorce and come out with 10% of your net worth. Starting over in your 50's is a bitch.

Which two schools are we comparing?

Inner city Detroit Vs Korat?

I thought we were comparing The US and Thailand

I am not familiar with this other two countries

So you think all government schools in the US are great, and all schools in Thailand are substandard?

Don't I read stories where many US schools have armed guards on the gates searching the kids for guns and knives as they enter.

Don't I read stories about US kids going into schools shooting as many of their classmates as they can before the police kill them?

Sorry but that sort of thing doesn't seem all that widespread in Thailand.

you left out the most important thing when you dial 911 in America a real ambulance comes a real fire truck comes EMT technicians come fully loaded equipment

is available and they are trained to assist you in every emergency where in Thailand they come with body bags and newspapers

We're talking about service paid for out of US property taxes.

I thought EMT and hospitals in the US were privately funded?

When apples are cheap I eat lots of apples, when oranges are cheap I eat lots of oranges.

No need to compare them, they are all fruit!

You say that one of the reasons you chose Thailand is because Thailand is not a "nanny state" .

I chose Thailand because America won't let me stay there full time (British passport no good).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

At this stage of your life that'a a reasonable option, but perhaps later on in life when you are older and not able to care for your self in the ways you can now, a "nanny state" might be more desirable.

It was not always for me, but as I am getting older and face medical issues, It is becoming more so,

perhaps I am over reacting and when my medical issues stabilize and I learn to manage them better Thailand might become a more viable option for me again.

Cheers smile.png

Yes....one of the reasons for moving to Thailand was that Thailand is not a "nanny state". But the main reason was that my Thai wife did not want to live in the US even though I owned a beautiful house on a lake in northern California. She went as far, though, to say "she would live in the states if that's what I wanted"

In assessing whether to move to Thailand, although her wish to live in Thailand was a big factor ....I also have medical issues. My personal view of Thai doctors and facilities is that although not on par with the US, they do have facilites and doctors right up there. In the States I was paying more than $1000 dollars/month for insurance which I have passed on for the last 10 years (living in Thailand...self insured) ......a savings of $120,000 dollars (and growing) which I have invested and have available for self pay of medical services in Thailand if needed. As noted by earlier posters medical treatment is cheaper in Thailand (a LOT cheaper) than the US so hopefully even the worst medical outcome for me will be covered by said fund ......if not....I die...we all do ...whether in the US or Thailand.

Best of luck with your medical issues smile.png

And whatever you do, don't go through a divorce and come out with 10% of your net worth. Starting over in your 50's is a bitch.

Yep, been there done that, starting over as a homeless man in your 50's seems like no fun at all.

For the first 6 months, then I found myself living in a much warmer country with a much younger (and warmer) woman.

If you play it right, it's actually a lot of fun!

Seriously, the first thing to reach you is probably a fire truck because every small town has a fire department with EMT's or paramedics and equipment on board. People including firemen can be injured in fires and they are ready. These are paid by property taxes.

The ambulance which shows up will also have paramedics to transport. Those are privately funded as are the hospitals. I have what's called Medicare F aka Medigap which covers everything with no deductibles so the ambulance and hospital would cost me nothing and same for the fire dept.

BTW I can't get that coverage in LOS at any price. It costs me about $250 per month. It is insurance I choose to pay.

Cheers smile.png

Yes....one of the reasons for moving to Thailand was that Thailand is not a "nanny state". But the main reason was that my Thai wife did not want to live in the US even though I owned a beautiful house on a lake in northern California. She went as far, though, to say "she would live in the states if that's what I wanted"

In assessing whether to move to Thailand, although her wish to live in Thailand was a big factor ....I also have medical issues. My personal view of Thai doctors and facilities is that although not on par with the US, they do have facilites and doctors right up there. In the States I was paying more than $1000 dollars/month for insurance which I have passed on for the last 10 years (living in Thailand...self insured) ......a savings of $120,000 dollars (and growing) which I have invested and have available for self pay of medical services in Thailand if needed. As noted by earlier posters medical treatment is cheaper in Thailand (a LOT cheaper) than the US so hopefully even the worst medical outcome for me will be covered by said fund ......if not....I die...we all do ...whether in the US or Thailand.

Yeaa, for me also, and for most of us the wife factor is/was the main factor for moving to or being associated with Thailand.

My wife is a little ambivalent about moving back to Thailand for good. On one hand she loves Thailand like most Thais do, on the other hand she is getting used to the comforts in the US and realizes that after her parents pass away, and I am gone, being much older than her, there might be little for her in Thailand

so a plan B for a return to the states for her is in the cards for as, when we retire to Thailand

I on the other hand love Thailand perhaps more than my wife does, perhaps because it is new to me and I am still enjoying the wonders of discovery. But I also have to face realities novelty of discovery could wear off, and I will get older, if I am luckytongue.png

I have very good medical insurance provided to me by my Trade Union,

Self insuring is not an option, I had Aortic Heart valve replacement that cost $240,000 dollars, and at some point I might need it again, if I had to pay for it my self it would had wiped me out financially, Tomorrow I have a doctors appointment to consider the need for a Hart Pace maker..... The sad part is that I am 5'10"" weight 165 lb always ate healthy and was physically active, go figure

There are many medical conditions that could also derail once plans they some times come from left field it did for me,

My medical insurance is in the US that is a reality for me.

It is easy to say now "if not I will die.. we all do"

now....

but then the time comes trust me , most of us sing a different tune.

My dying is easy, but what about my responsibilities? what about my wife, my daughter? do I leave them along to fend for them selves? I might be a bit of a control freak, but........

Though it is good to make love not war

it is also prudent to be prepared for both

and with that sentiment in mind, forgive me if I hedge my bets and not fully commit to Thailand yet

I believe that anyone who burns their bridges and does not have a plan B is making a serious mistake

but that's me .....smile.png

I have being wrong in the past, and I am willing to consider the however improbable possibility, that I might be wrong againtongue.png

sirineou

but perhaps later on in life when you are older and not able to care for your self in the ways you can now, a "nanny state" might be more desirable.

i beg to differ. in a country like Thailand one can get a 24/7 nursing service in your home for THB 35-40k a month. in a nanny state that cost would be exponentially higher. in Germany a friend of mine employs two qualified nurses (one from Poland, one from Hungary) to take care of his mother.

his total cost (salaries, contribution to social insurance and health insurance) is in the range of € 4,800 a month = THB 168,000 at prevailing exchange rate.

I find the turn on the this thread towards how Thai wives feel on living in the U.S. vs Thailand interesting.

My wife of 40 years has grown more comfortable with the amenities of the U.S. vs life in Thailand. We split our time between both countries and it does seem that my wife looks forward to returning to the U.S. each year more than I do.

She is also fairly adamant that if and when we begin to experience health related problems she expects our visits to Thailand will end.

Edited by SpokaneAl

On a more serious note,

Epic fail!

Well done!

Property taxes are for local support. The majority goes to schools. To argue that schools aren't better in the US than in LOS is a lost cause. Sure there are some schools in inner city ghettos that are a mess.

Where do you think all of this advanced technology comes from if the kids aren't educated? The US has 12 year old kids writing computer code. Thailand talks about maybe buying kids tablets (again) so they can do facebook. Not better?

Property taxes pay for local streets, street lights, street sweeping, a health department which among other things assures that food sold including in restaurants is safe. They pay for first rate fire/paramedic departments which cost you nothing if you have an emergency. They respond to accidents, medical emergencies such as heart attacks and of course fires and related injuries.

They pay for building inspectors when building anything, local courts, police and so on.

There is great value received from property taxes. It's value which can't be purchased at any price in LOS.

sirineou

but perhaps later on in life when you are older and not able to care for your self in the ways you can now, a "nanny state" might be more desirable.

i beg to differ. in a country like Thailand one can get a 24/7 nursing service in your home for THB 35-40k a month. in a nanny state that cost would be exponentially higher. in Germany a friend of mine employs two qualified nurses (one from Poland, one from Hungary) to take care of his mother.

his total cost (salaries, contribution to social insurance and health insurance) is in the range of € 4,800 a month = THB 168,000 at prevailing exchange rate.

This might be true , but nursing is not the only requirement when one get's older,

For those of as being fortunate to be able to afford self insurance Thailand might be fine, but for the rest of us .....

If I understand it correctly Private insurance would be not available for some one over 65, if available would be very expensive and will not cover pre-existing conditions

In the US, aside from the social safety net available to me, I Have Major medical insurance that will cover all of my needs

For me this is the only concern, If I can have in Thailand the same medical I have in the US all the rest are insignificant

Cheers smile.png

Yeaa, for me also, and for most of us the wife factor is/was the main factor for moving to or being associated with Thailand.

My wife is a little ambivalent about moving back to Thailand for good. On one hand she loves Thailand like most Thais do, on the other hand she is getting used to the comforts in the US and realizes that after her parents pass away, and I am gone, being much older than her, there might be little for her in Thailand

so a plan B for a return to the states for her is in the cards for as, when we retire to Thailand

I on the other hand love Thailand perhaps more than my wife does, perhaps because it is new to me and I am still enjoying the wonders of discovery. But I also have to face realities novelty of discovery could wear off, and I will get older, if I am luckytongue.png

I have very good medical insurance provided to me by my Trade Union,

Self insuring is not an option, I had Aortic Heart valve replacement that cost $240,000 dollars, and at some point I might need it again, if I had to pay for it my self it would had wiped me out financially, Tomorrow I have a doctors appointment to consider the need for a Hart Pace maker..... The sad part is that I am 5'10"" weight 165 lb always ate healthy and was physically active, go figure

There are many medical conditions that could also derail once plans they some times come from left field it did for me,

My medical insurance is in the US that is a reality for me.

It is easy to say now "if not I will die.. we all do"

now....

but then the time comes trust me , most of us sing a different tune.

My dying is easy, but what about my responsibilities? what about my wife, my daughter? do I leave them along to fend for them selves? I might be a bit of a control freak, but........

Though it is good to make love not war

it is also prudent to be prepared for both

and with that sentiment in mind, forgive me if I hedge my bets and not fully commit to Thailand yet

I believe that anyone who burns their bridges and does not have a plan B is making a serious mistake

but that's me .....smile.png

I have being wrong in the past, and I am willing to consider the however improbable possibility, that I might be wrong againtongue.png

My situation is obviously different ......I have a plan B, and C and D...all available if the time comes. So have not burned any bridges ....quite the contrary I'm always in the process of building more.

sorry if I made light of dying by saying "if not I will die....we all do"

But as you said it is prudent to prepare for it. My situation is that I have recently finished a resort on the beach which my wife and I presently live in the owners unit with other units available to rent.

My wife and children are therefor set for life in the event I do die ....which I hope is years down the road. We also have a house in Bangkok which the kids (all adult age) presently live but will soon help their mother run the resort.

10 years ago I had 2 stents put in. I was in Thailand visiting at the time I was told this was needed (still had insurance at the time). I asked the Thai doctor how much? was told $10,000 dollars.

I asked "why so expensive?" not even knowing what a realistic cost was at the time. He told me the drug coated stents come from America ($4000/each) and that was the reason. Well....decided to get a second opinion so went back to the States to see what they thought. US heart doctors response was "I don't see what the problem is ....you still have one good valve".

It wasn't until I told them that in Thailand they wanted to operate the next day until they relented and did the operation. Cost in America $70,000, fortunately covered by my insurance.

So, yes, we all have different situations and reasons for what we do, and I can see your reasoning for not leaving the US. Appears that is the best for you....

Good Luck and best in the future.

PS ...best part of the trip to Thailand 10 years ago was I met my present wife while in the hospital! thumbsup.gif

Edited by beachproperty

Seriously, the first thing to reach you is probably a fire truck because every small town has a fire department with EMT's or paramedics and equipment on board. People including firemen can be injured in fires and they are ready. These are paid by property taxes.

The ambulance which shows up will also have paramedics to transport. Those are privately funded as are the hospitals. I have what's called Medicare F aka Medigap which covers everything with no deductibles so the ambulance and hospital would cost me nothing and same for the fire dept.

BTW I can't get that coverage in LOS at any price. It costs me about $250 per month. It is insurance I choose to pay.

I use the local Thai ambulance service unless there is a major problem and then I use the cardiac ambulance from the hospital.

Cardiac mobile units are fully equipped with CDMA systems that link to hospital's patient record, database system, and consultation. Whilst in transfer, the mobile ambulatory teams, cardiologist and doctors at hospital can arrange for immediate interventional coronary procedures, such as coronary angiography, cardiac catheterization, balloon angioplasty, bypass surgery or as prescribed by the cardiac specialists.

Thai ambulance service has taken me to the hospital twice and got me home one night when I was late very quickly. I can't remember how much, I think I gave them 500 baht. The cardiac unit is covered by my insurance so I can't tell you exactly how much it is seems like I remember it being a couple thousand baht nothing real expensive.

On a more serious note,

Epic fail!

Well done!

Ok have it your way

I assume like so many things on Thai Visa that you are talking out your bottom and never have taken a local ambulance.

I have ridden in them a number of times. Let me tell you what happens. They come to where you are very quickly as there are a lot of them. They climb 4 flights of stairs in a minute with a board thing. They gently put the board under you and strap you to the board and carry you down 4 flights of stairs in a jiffy.

Then they turn on the siren and drive to the hospital very quickly. All this for less than the price of a Starbucks coffee in some places.

True story of my experience. Nothing out of newspapers or rumors or things that happened to a friend of mine.

Cleanliness like sweeping streets, safe water at the tap, health dept. inspections of restaurants, better roads with traffic laws enforced, litter picked up although it's cultural to not litter, clean air, usable clean sidewalks, street lights that work...

There's simply a big difference between Thailand and a first world country.

I never meant to imply that I couldn't live cheaper in Thailand. I simply won't live "like a Thai" and I say that without getting too specific. If I was really pinched for money I might live in Thailand but at my age I'd have concerns about health care and other issues which might make me wish I was back "home."

I see people post that they can't afford to live in their home countries so they retire to Thailand, and then I ask myself what they are going to do when their health begins to fail. Not all costs can be put onto a monthly spread sheet.

Cheers

My father in law in Thailand had an accident and broke his back. They found a couple young girls from the family to take care of him at home 24/7 for almost nothing.

In the States your family will put you in a nursing home, spend down your money till you have less than $3000 dollars (I think that is the amount) and people from other countries who barely speak English will abuse/pretend to take care of you in a building that smells like urine.

Nothing cheery about it. http://www.nursinghomeabusecenter.org/veterans-and-nursing-home-abuse.html

"Straightforward physical abuse of elderly veterans is a significant problem in VA facilities, as it is throughout the United States. Physical abuse is defined as the non-accidental use of physical force against an elderly person. The intent of the force is to inflict pain or humiliation, and the result can be catastrophic. When considering the weakened state of many veterans who require a bed in a VA nursing home, the mildest physical abuse can result in death if the injuries are neglected."

Found a typical household budget breakdown... http://budgeting.thenest.com/typical-percentages-household-budgets-3299.html... And thought I'd annotate it with #my# (YMWV... Your Mileage #Will# Vary) best guess of a Thailand Budget.

Housing (34% - covers mortgages & lots of taxes etc... that you wouldn't need to pay so I'd guess 15%)

Housing costs normally take the biggest bite out of your budget. The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ annual report on consumer expenditures showed that 34 percent of Americans’ spending goes towards housing costs. Roughly 60 percent of the average housing expense covers mortgage or rent costs, real estate taxes and homeowner’s insurance, while the rest goes towards utilities, furnishings and maintaining the home. Potential lenders use this budget line item to determine how much mortgage you can qualify for. BankRate.com states that potential lenders limit your basic housing expense, including mortgage payment, real estate taxes and homeowner’s insurance, to 28 percent of gross annual income.

Transportation (17% covering 2 cars, would suggest this is more like 10% for Thailand)

Transportation is normally the second-largest expense in a household budget, although this amount can vary quite a bit depending on your personal situation. The BLS report shows that the average American two-car household’s transportation expense accounts for over 17 percent of the overall budget. This expense may run as low as 10 percent or as high as 20 percent if you work from a home-based office, live in a metro-center with public transportation or have a long working commute.

Food (15-20%, feels more like 15% for Thailand)

A big chunk of most household budgets goes towards food. Although budgeting 15 to 20 percent of your expenditures towards food is acceptable, food spending for most Americans is closer to 13 percent of their overall expenditures. At-home food consumption accounts for almost 60 percent of all food spending, while Starbucks and the local cafe eat up the remaining 40 percent.

Savings, Insurance and Health Care (5-10%... 15% including Visa costs feels about right)

Life insurance, health care expenses, retirement savings, personal savings and cash contributions can take a toll on your budget, but they are the most important line items in your budget. Life insurance and retirement amounts to over 10 percent of the average household budget, health care comes in at roughly 6 percent and cash contributions almost 4 percent. Although Americans sometimes falter when it comes to personal savings, you should budget 5 to 10 percent of your budget towards it. Debt specialists Care One recommends taking a “pay yourself first” attitude when it comes towards savings to be sure you have enough reserves built up in case the unforeseen happens.

Personal Expenses (16%... 100% of whatever's left sounds better so 45% smile.png)

According to the BLS, roughly 16 percent of the average American’s spending goes towards clothing, personal services, education, reading, entertainment, tobacco, alcoholic beverages and other miscellaneous expenses. Be careful when calculating your entertainment expenses to not include meals eaten away from home, as they should be incorporated into your food budget.

www.numbeo.com