Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

You ran away. cheesy.gif

I realized a long time ago that I am but a cog in the machine and that anyone that rails against the machine in a significant manner is squashed like a bug... That might be your idea of idealism, but hardly mine... I also realized there was little to nothing one person could do to stop the crimes being committed by the US... Hell, they are well known and in the media daily... You can choose to stand in the way of a tsunami, but not me... I left to spend the rest of my days in relative peace and quiet, away from the upcoming social and economic crisis heading toward the western world...

Perhaps you have heard of some of these folks that tried to blow the whistle on US indiscretions...

Andrew Breitbart

Michael Hastings

Edward Snowdon

Julian Assange

John Kiriakao

Thomas Drake

Bradley Manning

Phillip Marshall

and on and on and on...

Here is a bit of reading on the topic if you are so inclined...

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/09/obamas_unprecedented_war_on_whistleblowers/

Now, if you really want to call me a coward, do it to my face... If not, then <deleted>...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If indeed you did enjoy all the time you spent in Thailand, a reader can be forgiven for not seeing such from that post! But some detail perhaps - alas I no linger live in Chiang Mai, instead I live out in the sticks, where:

3BB has no spare circuits thus I must make do with TOT 15MB fibre which, is always available and never goes down.

It is nigh on impossible to eat food of an extremely high standard and pay more than THB 225 per dish, including outstanding western dishes prepared by the ex-chef of The Four Seasons. More modestly however, a pretty decent range of more simple fare is available for under 40 baht per. True it's not McD, Booger King or any of the myriad of western style fast food places, thankfully, but it more than satisfies even my usually high standards for food.

Tradespeople, workers with adequate skills to tackle the job given exist in droves at under 400 baht per day each, diamonds do exist and are easily found.

My house my wife's house is encumbered with an ufstruct, which means I have a legal right to live there but nobody else does. It also means that any sale that property cannot be complete without my approval, this includes receiving a cheque for the sales value, made out to me.

My electric bill runs no more than THB 1,200 a month, that in the hot season and supporting a garden sprinkler system that covers one rai of gardens. Did somebody earlier really imply that electric bills here as expensive by comparison.

Our health care is not free, indeed we have to pay for it, but at prices so low as to make it uneconomical to pay insurance premiums these past ten years, this despite one coronary stent en-route.

The tax thingy is interesting because I do pay tax here, I pay VAT. But if not the oppressive VAT then what I ask myself, is a combination of Federal, State. City, SSc and Sales tax any better of an idea, I don't think so.

And so on, and so on.

I did indeed enjoy my time in Thailand. It is simply a childish rumor, perpetrated and pounded about by a few insecure, ignorant and bitter old men, that I didn't.

But the fact remains, it's a big world, and there are many places to enjoy one's life. Some are even better than Thailand.

From Post #5 this topic: Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

OK.

If indeed you did enjoy all the time you spent in Thailand, a reader can be forgiven for not seeing such from that post! But some detail perhaps - alas I no linger live in Chiang Mai, instead I live out in the sticks, where:

3BB has no spare circuits thus I must make do with TOT 15MB fibre which, is always available and never goes down.

It is nigh on impossible to eat food of an extremely high standard and pay more than THB 225 per dish, including outstanding western dishes prepared by the ex-chef of The Four Seasons. More modestly however, a pretty decent range of more simple fare is available for under 40 baht per. True it's not McD, Booger King or any of the myriad of western style fast food places, thankfully, but it more than satisfies even my usually high standards for food.

Tradespeople, workers with adequate skills to tackle the job given exist in droves at under 400 baht per day each, diamonds do exist and are easily found.

My house my wife's house is encumbered with an ufstruct, which means I have a legal right to live there but nobody else does. It also means that any sale that property cannot be complete without my approval, this includes receiving a cheque for the sales value, made out to me.

My electric bill runs no more than THB 1,200 a month, that in the hot season and supporting a garden sprinkler system that covers one rai of gardens. Did somebody earlier really imply that electric bills here as expensive by comparison.

Our health care is not free, indeed we have to pay for it, but at prices so low as to make it uneconomical to pay insurance premiums these past ten years, this despite one coronary stent en-route.

The tax thingy is interesting because I do pay tax here, I pay VAT. But if not the oppressive VAT then what I ask myself, is a combination of Federal, State. City, SSc and Sales tax any better of an idea, I don't think so.

And so on, and so on.

I did indeed enjoy my time in Thailand. It is simply a childish rumor, perpetrated and pounded about by a few insecure, ignorant and bitter old men, that I didn't.

But the fact remains, it's a big world, and there are many places to enjoy one's life. Some are even better than Thailand.

From Post #5 this topic: Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

OK.

It surprises me that you, of all people, would not understand that a mature personality has the ability to enjoy himself anywhere, under any circumstances.

It surprises me that you, of all people, would not understand that a mature personality has the ability to enjoy himself anywhere, under any circumstances.

You're not convincing anyone but yourself - and from the tone of your posts I doubt even that.

And so on, and so on.

OK.

When I am enjoying myself, I am generally not prone to calling it a wasted day.

no one in their right mind would prefer to be in a relationship with someone much older.It's simply a trade off where needs must.If a young asian lady has a high education,is well qualified,and can earn more than enough to support herself,save,get a morgage,i dont think she's going to be looking at some old fella for a relationship.When i go back to sydney i see hundreds of young asian ladies,and they would not give me the time of day......they dont have to.

So come on guys do not be kidding ourselves...you want a young lady here you are going to have to pay for the priviledge.

My husband is 15 years younger than me. He makes more money than I do.

lucky you...but you are the exception rather than the rule.

That's nice, Crab.

I stayed for the last four years in a place I did not really want to be, but made the best of it for my wife's sake. I made myself happy to keep her spirits up. Once my wife's family situation was finally resolved, and she was coming to the States, I had options. Not one of them included Thailand.

Regardless of whether or not I was enjoying myself, once my wife could leave, staying in Thailand for me was wasting my life.

Grow up and get over it, guys.

Yeah, get over it. And grow up, so maybe someday you can understand what mature men base their life decisions on.

I'm quite interested in Thailand, always will be, and my reasons for posting here are none of your business, but certainly seem to pose a terrific threat to you and your two or three socially awkward buddies.

EDIT: Spell check

Edited by HeijoshinCool

You ran away. cheesy.gif

I realized a long time ago that I am but a cog in the machine and that anyone that rails against the machine in a significant manner is squashed like a bug... That might be your idea of idealism, but hardly mine... I also realized there was little to nothing one person could do to stop the crimes being committed by the US... Hell, they are well known and in the media daily... You can choose to stand in the way of a tsunami, but not me... I left to spend the rest of my days in relative peace and quiet, away from the upcoming social and economic crisis heading toward the western world...

Perhaps you have heard of some of these folks that tried to blow the whistle on US indiscretions...

Andrew Breitbart

Michael Hastings

Edward Snowdon

Julian Assange

John Kiriakao

Thomas Drake

Bradley Manning

Phillip Marshall

and on and on and on...

Here is a bit of reading on the topic if you are so inclined...

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/09/obamas_unprecedented_war_on_whistleblowers/

Now, if you really want to call me a coward, do it to my face... If not, then <deleted>...

I'm not laughing at you. But, your email threat was funny.

I laugh at high-minded justifications for moving to Thailand.

Admit it. You moved to Thailand because it's a decent place to live. US foreign policy didn't force you into exile.

That's nice, Crab.

I stayed for the last four years in a place I did not really want to be, but made the best of it for my wife's sake. I made myself happy to keep her spirits up. Once my wife's family situation was finally resolved, and she was coming to the States, I had options. Not one of them included Thailand.

Regardless of whether or not I was enjoying myself, once my wife could leave, staying in Thailand for me was wasting my life.

Grow up and get over it, guys.

If I wanted to grow up, I wouldn't bother posting on here.

If you were here in Thailand to support your wife and generally enjoying yourself, you might have been forsaking greater income opportunities in the US (not to mention snowboarding) which you then felt that you could no longer pass up, but I would then not characterize my time in Thailand as wasting my precious time.

Edited by JLCrab

Thailand would be a much better place if Thailand was the 51st state of the USA.

why the USA don't invade Thailand? all we want is to live the American dream. not true?

If Thailand became the 51st US state, then all the smart people would have to leave because we know, from reading all your stuff, that smart people like yourself don't pay any taxes.

Thailand would be a much better place if Thailand was the 51st state of the USA.

why the USA don't invade Thailand? all we want is to live the American dream. not true?

The UK occupies that spot, Thailand would have to be satisfied with the 52nd.

We are going "home",too, though it hardly feels like that. Seems people here have just about come to accept in the tourist centres that farang are of some use financially.I have lived in Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and more. Elsewhere?

I have lived here for nearly 20 years. I am totally pissed off with the racism.

Sat in an upcountry Issan bar last night. Singers,Lao and Vietnamese hookers.UK football. Street full of Honda NSRs, Harleys, Valkyries etc. Police taking pics of them all..where does that sort of money come from in Issan? Anyway sat drinking a bottle of Singha in a bar that was empty at 20.00. By 21.00. was asked 5 times to go and sit somewhere else, as "local people needed to sit down" Wife, who is from the town,, comes and tells them to piss off. Becomes clear that there are seething problems between the customers, bar owner, other cafes, police. Wife says: you have no idea about these people. She says maybe they are drug traffickers, people traffickers or whatever. You lucky someone not draw a knife or a gun. She also said something really interesting, well to me! Stop looking at people! Keep your nose in your glass! Never encountered anything similar in LOS or in any other country in the world. I do not need that in my life!

And don't get me started on schools!!!!!

Seems like you need to leave Isan, not Thailand. I have no problems with the locals in my tourist less place of residence.

But then I have to put the other side of the story

1, I can buy a three bedroom house on 1 hectare of land for GBP20000

2. My children have free health care and schooling

3. Tax. ?What tax?

4. I can buy 2 meals a day for 1.20GBP

3. I can rent a 3 bedroom house for 120GBP a month

4. Electric and water are about the same (with aircon!)as the UK

5. I can open any shop I want, in the street or in the shophouse. No permit required. No Health and Safety!

6. I have mobile phones and broadband: about the same as the UK a month

7. I have an airport. 30GBP one way 800 kilometers to the capital, one hour.

8. Can summon a workman to mend anything within 1 hour. Maybe 5.00GBP a day

9.Petrol 60p a litre

10. Can buy anything 24/7

Now think about the UK! If it were not for the schools Never mind the people I dont think we would leave.!!

Seems your reasons are almost entirely economically driven.

1. Maybe, but won't be much of one, and you can't own it.

2. The schooling is not free. The head teacher will come around every year and collect. Besides, you get what you pay for.

3. What tax? It's called VAT, and for anything imported, it's called oppressive.

4. And such a variety at those prices!

3 (are we counting down here?). If one owns a home, they don't need to rent, so scratch that off the list.

4 (going up again). Okay, but if the bills were higher in the west, that would be because the power doesn't regularly go out for hours at a time, stopping the meter.

5. No you can't, and good luck with a business in LOS, unless you are an international corporation with clout. The vast majority of small ones fail, often because the locals get pissed. But yes, no health and safety hey, wait! Let's look again at those cheap meals you just mentioned!

6. Shame the signals suck.

7. Gotta admit, I always like that myself, and made frequent use of it.

8. Yes, very cheap labor. Shame so few of them have any real expertise ... or pride or integrity.

9. Gas is far cheaper than 60p per liter in the US. Cheaper, not cheap. It's a scam everywhere.

10. I'm not sure that's a great thing, but enjoyable in many countries, east and west.

Without having read much of this thread:

When a poster takes such a negative view on virtually all aspects of life in Thailand, it seems to me there is another agenda at work so there's not much point trying to debate which view is correct.

My suggestion is that if you can read back through what you have written and state objectively and honestly, hand on heart, that you believe it all, I can only imagine that you must have been exceptionally unlucky in all aspects of your stay in Thailand, every day you were here. Were it me I might consider never leaving home and not going out, ever again.

Chiang Mai is no more representative of all of Thailand, than Washington, D.C. is America.

So until you have spent four years living in Rhek Thum, you really should not judge motives you know nothing about.

But go ahead and do so if it pleases you. You might consider, if it were you, never leaving home, but I thoroughly enjoyed every day of my life in Thailand, even in Rhek Thum, happy to live there because I love my wife and stayed by her side during difficult times for her.

So Rhek Thum is a real place?

I thought it was a gag, on a place called rectum.

Sorry if I was slow on this, in either direction

Whilst the sun is still shining and the living continues to be easy I'm likely to stay way beyond my welcome.

When I first arrived here on a 3 month contract we very quickly referred to Thailand and Bangkok as the Matrix, it wasn't quite real and with that level of thinking the Matrix should really be a place to visit but not stay.

Over the years though I have come to recognize that it is everywhere else that is the matrix so I'd really have to take that cold, rainy, wet miserable blue pill if I was to leave and go back to the illusion of reality/normality.

Now the sun is not going anywhere soon but the idea of the living is easy is something most expats really need to consider carefully.

Without long term financial stability and I don't mean minimalist survival people including myself are probably better off heading back home.

Career, educations systems, family, health care systems, land ownership/housing ladder are all reasonable draws back to your second home countries when times get a bit harsher and the living as not so easy as perhaps it once was.

Over the years, career and long term financial security has probably the biggest reason I have seen people move on for, if you are lucky enough to have those sorted then you are much more likely to have this decision as a real choice rather than a pushed decision.

What is a man?

Is it getting off, utilizing the services of prostitutes, or running from ones problems?

What is a man?

Take Arnold Schwartzenigger for example. This guy gets off on whatever he's doing at the time. His entire life is like having sex and getting off. He could be anywhere or doing anyone or anything, but prefers of course to do it in the USA.

Could make a great philisophical thread, but this thread is about leaving THAILAND. You need to include something about that to be relevant.

To keep on topic myself, I hope I die before I have to leave Thailand, as it's sooooooo much hotter than the cooooold place I come from.

The USA is not perfect, neither is thailand. In regards to the original topic I find many pros a cons for each, but at this stage in my life i don't feel thailand has the career path to offer me financial security in the future. I enjoy my life here but will never adopt all the things to be able to survive like an average professional thai. In twenty years my mentality will be much different as will thailand.

So for me I'm not here for the long haul now just yet. But in the future this may be a place at the top of my list to retire. But by then I'm sure it will be a completely different place maybe better, but most probably worse. In the year+ I have been here I can already see significant negative changes that discourage me from staying.

I went to Numbeo to check out your claim that Port Charlotte is just as affordable as, for example my town of Chaing Mai. Nope.. Port Charlotte is at least TWICE the cost in every sector.. I went to Craigslist to confirm rentals. No, no, no!!

Happy in Chaing Mai.

When one rides enough VIP buses in Thailand no wonder some come to consider themselves as VIP's.

Buses ? That's crazy talk - you can be a VIP here for a lot less. And you will have left Thailand, keeping this discussion within the parameters of this crazy thread.

DSC09256.jpg

I akkready leave thailand for the next 5 month!

nobody ask me how long you stay

I get always asked in Austria, -How long you stay- tongue.png -When you go back to Thailand.

in Thailand, get questioned only, when I am in the Tourist centers.smile.png