Ringleaders of Valentine's Day poll rally freed after night in jail

webfact

Ringleaders of Valentine's Day poll rally freed after night in jail
The Nation

30254153-01_big.jpg?1424044461394

BANGKOK: -- POLICE released on bail the four leaders of a group that gathered on Saturday night to mark last year's February 2 general election. They had been arrested for organising the rally by more than 300 people in front of the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre.

Three of them were re-|leased after depositing Bt20,000 in cash each as a guarantee. Another was released after a lawyer gua-ranteed him. They were identified as Sirawait Serithiwat, Phansak Srithep, Wannakiart Chusuwan and Anon |Nampha.

The rally breached the National Council for Peace and Order's (NCPO) rule 7/2014, which prohibits any gathering of more than five people.

The incident took place on Valentine's Day at the Pathumwan intersection - |in front of the Bangkok |Art and Cultural Centre - |when the Resistant Citizen group gathered to commemorate last year's February 2 general election, which was nullified.

The gathering was under the theme "My Beloved Election" and was joined by around 300 people. It also attracted some attention from passers-by in the vicinity.

The group began the event by imitating the action of going to the polls, saying they were preparing for the upcoming election, which is due to be held next year.

The four leaders will be summoned for an investigation on March 16 before the case is filed with the Military Court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Ringleaders-of-Valentines-Day-poll-rally-freed-aft-30254153.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-16

Seems as if the matter was more focused on the lack of an election process as opposed to a previous non election process as opposed to an anti junta matter.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Strange this post didn't mention that there hunderds of uni students infront of the police station chanting let them go or we will bring more here to protest, why was that left out? then it say's a gathering of 5 people or more is not alowed, well ok so there were four students in this group not 5, so that can't be why they were detianed, more likly it is some here don't like thier message.

The targeting of uni students is not a good look for any country, and this one's history of putting down dissent of uni students is a bloody one.

I wounder isn't it a good thing that students question and voice opinions, isn't critical thinking a good thing? isn't divercity of theorys and thought a good thing?

Or is it better to have docile drones with no mind of thier own?

many people may say that marcial law is not about peace but about controling those you wish to repress.

The last general that ordered shoot the sh!!t out of the students, put up for BKK Governor in the nineties and was disappointed that everyone told him to go take a walk, he thought everyone would have forgiven him for shooting the students, that's the mentality you are dealing with.

I was about to say, history repeats it self in Thailand like no country I have ever seen. 1976 and 1992 maybe if there's more protests and a bloody crackdown this year one of the lower generals in charge will get the PM job ala Samak.

Saviors of Thailand my behind.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Strange this post didn't mention that there hunderds of uni students infront of the police station chanting let them go or we will bring more here to protest, why was that left out? then it say's a gathering of 5 people or more is not alowed, well ok so there were four students in this group not 5, so that can't be why they were detianed, more likly it is some here don't like thier message.

The targeting of uni students is not a good look for any country, and this one's history of putting down dissent of uni students is a bloody one.

I wounder isn't it a good thing that students question and voice opinions, isn't critical thinking a good thing? isn't divercity of theorys and thought a good thing?

many people may say that marcial law is not about peace but about controling those you wish to repress.

The last general that ordered shoot the sh!!t out of the students, put up for BKK Governor in the nineties and was disappointed that everyone told him to go take a walk, he thought everyone would have forgiven him for shooting the students, that's the mentality you are dealing with.

I was about to say, history repeats it self in Thailand like no country I have ever seen. 1976 and 1992 maybe if there's more protests and a bloody crackdown this year one of the lower generals in charge will get the PM job ala Samak.

Actually the General that led the 1992 slaughter was rewarded a top level CEO position for True.

• Like 1

"The rally breached the National Council for Peace and Order's (NCPO) rule 7/2014, which prohibits any gathering of more than five people."

This law is also being selectively enforced. No arrests or even wagging fingers for the "instant" protest at the US Embassy, nor several other gatherings that were pro-junta.

the rattling car with patched tires is wheezing to a crawl now....

The government of good starts leading no where and selective enforcement strikes again!

• Like 1

Interesting to see the selective amnesia syndrome that affects the supporters of the precious administration concerning their actions in trying to subdue/ ban anti government demonstrations.

On 21 January, 2014 Yingluck's government declared a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding areas, to little effect.

Interesting to see the selective amnesia syndrome that affects the supporters of the precious administration concerning their actions in trying to subdue/ ban anti government demonstrations.

On 21 January, 2014 Yingluck's government declared a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding areas, to little effect.

Let's see, January 2014, a mob of protesters exceeded all bounds of legal protest, obstructed government, vowed to prevent elections, and demanded the government hand over power to an unelected committee for unspecified reforms.

February 2015, a small group of students peacefully protest for elections.

Yep, the two situations are practically identical!

Apparently some one, thinks that a state of emergency and martial law are practically the same thing, who'd a thunk it?

Well I will say it again, until the top man takes centre stage and is able to dissolve parliament acting under advice and call elections like under the Westminster system the military will have control always , you have to operate under the Westminster system because Thailand has a monarchy.

• Like 1

Actually the General that led the 1992 slaughter was rewarded a top level CEO position for True.

Oversee slaughter of protesters, get a slap on the wrist then a cushy CEO or Prime ministers job.

And people on here act like it's all just the Shinwatras cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Until the student success it was corruption alacarte, feasting of the public purse was a hobby.

Below in the link

Just a gentle reminder concerning those paragons of virtue in the last administration that are blindly supported by those Red Shirt followers that are again creeping out of the woodwork even the reincarnated ones.

TheDiva post # 20

Interesting to note the difference between Yinglucks state of emergency which lasted 60 days with any transgressors tried in a civilian court, and martial law that has been in place since last May, involves military courts, censorship, regularly demands for people to go for re-education with threats to seize their assets, no election anywhere in sight, constitution ripped up, need I go on?

Maybe you're right, definite selective amnesia - but by you I'm afraid.

Good old fab4 your tactics, cut and paste and inane comments unlike your name do not change.

TheDiva post # 20

Interesting to note the difference between Yinglucks state of emergency which lasted 60 days with any transgressors tried in a civilian court, and martial law that has been in place since last May, involves military courts, censorship, regularly demands for people to go for re-education with threats to seize their assets, no election anywhere in sight, constitution ripped up, need I go on?

Good old fab4 your tactics, cut and paste and inane comments unlike your name do not change.

What?

• Like 2

Not worth the effort. Despite the 'big meself up' avatar, his views are actually pretty inane. You'll find better arguments put forward in the excremental smearings on the walls of the local nuthouse.

Below in the link

Just a gentle reminder concerning those paragons of virtue in the last administration that are blindly supported by those Red Shirt followers that are again creeping out of the woodwork even the reincarnated ones.

An article about enduring corruption in Thailand written a few months after Abhisit left office. How is that pertinent to the topic?

Where'sWaldo post # 25

Somebody should start an expat forum that is fully encrypted with private membership for these discussion. It's difficult for me to comprehend that so many people with no right to live here have these very public discussions in this environment.

It's difficult for me to comprehend that so many people with no right to live here have these very public discussions in this environment.

And what leads you to state that the posters here have no right to live here, perhaps many of us have more rights than you may think or in fact you yourself may have.

Pray could you would you tell us who in your eyes have no right to be here why you have a right to be here.

Many of here disagree with each other 'tis the nature of the beast, however it is the right of we (illegals in your eye anyway) to voice our opinions.

Where'sWaldo post # 25

Somebody should start an expat forum that is fully encrypted with private membership for these discussion. It's difficult for me to comprehend that so many people with no right to live here have these very public discussions in this environment.

It's difficult for me to comprehend that so many people with no right to live here have these very public discussions in this environment.

And what leads you to state that the posters here have no right to live here, perhaps many of us have more rights than you may think or in fact you yourself may have.

Pray could you would you tell us who in your eyes have no right to be here why you have a right to be here.

Many of here disagree with each other 'tis the nature of the beast, however it is the right of we (illegals in your eye anyway) to voice our opinions.

And I highly doubt any administration, even this junta, would come kicking down The doors of a bunch of farangs moaning at each other on some internet forum. We're just not worth it.

Where'sWaldo post # 25

Rights and privileges are not the same thing. My post assumes that most TV members that live here are doing so on a visa. I do know abut you, Siampolee, but I have to go in every year the extend my visa. There are laws governing qualification for that, but it is clear under that lw that the immigrations officials discretion ultimately governs whether the extension is granted. There is no offcial appeal process. I do not have a right to be here. It is a privilege granted to me as a foreigner by the Thai government.

Those TV members who have achieved Thai citizenship have a right to be here. Those who have achieved permanent residency enjoy something closer to to right than I with my extension, but even they can be ejected.

If you are here on some kind of visa and think that grants you some kind of right, then you need to think again.

Now, the word "guest" often comes up on this forum as well. I do NOT consider myself to be a guest. I live here. I have a home and a wife here. I pay taxes here. I have no other home anywhere else in the world. Thailand is my home. I am not a guest. But I also have no right to be here, and that sometimes makes me nervous. I wish I did have such a right as all my eggs are committed to this basket.