chinese New Year with Thai family

retoohs

Tonorrow i go with my girlfriend to celebrate the Chinese New Year with her Thai family. I asked her how much money I should give and do I give it to everyone. She gave the typical Thai answer and said up to me. I said that is no help and she replied you don't have to give any to me and up to you how much. Even less help as I would rather give her money than people I do not know very well. I dont want to offend anyone but we are saving for a house and the money printing press is out of action so greenbacks are limited. Appreciate advice from those who have dealt with this issue.

You don't have to give actually. Just bring 2 mandarin oranges or buy a hamper for the parents. Remember don't wear black or white- traditional Chinese old folks like red.

Remember to greet them with good words like Gong Xi Fa Cai or Xin Nian Kuai Le when give them the oranges/hamper.

Edited by Cpkt8
  • Like 2

Try to get a bunch of red envelopes (pockets) (hong bao) for the children, and put a 20 baht note in each.

Should really be two notes, but definitely not adding up to 40, and paper money is preferable to coins.... so you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I reckon a single 20 is fine.

Faced with this quandary, in the post-currency crisis recession of 1998 (or thereabouts) the Hong Kong Monetary Authority thoughtfully issued a 10 HKD note, that persists to this day...

SC

• Like 1

It depends how Chinese they are.

Red packets for the kids are probably the most important way to make a good impression. A basket of oranges or even better, a kumquat plant for the parents.

The greeting in Cantonese is Kung Hei Fatt Choy (easier to pronounce than the versions given above).

If they are not Chinese at all, just give them what you would normally give to your hosts.

• Like 1

Well done, you did the right thing. Give nothing where possible or it'll set a precedent. Best to be a miserable tightwad in the eyes of the extended family than an ATM schmuck. We are also in Thailand, balls to China. I wore black wink.png

Well aren't you special. Black is also a funeral color. However, it doesn't really matter, Thais sometimes wear black just because it looks cool. Same with white. Red is the Chinese color of good luck, the Thai color of Sunday, and generally a happy color to wear to a party. Lots of people immigrated from China when King Mongkut was changing the tax system from forced labor to money, so most Thais have at least one Chinese ancestor.

Edited by Acharn

Well done, you did the right thing. Give nothing where possible or it'll set a precedent. Best to be a miserable tightwad in the eyes of the extended family than an ATM schmuck. We are also in Thailand, balls to China. I wore black wink.png

You seem pissed that thai people are celebrating a chinese festival. Well the fact of the matter is chinese new year has a very big influence in thailand.

Red card are only meant to be giving to the young ones provided the youngs ones are not yet married.

You are not chinese neither is she.. You could play the I am a Farang card and don't understand.

Did the family members get you a gift on Christmas or your birthday? What ever they did there is your answer.

Edited by wow64
  • Like 2

Why is it with Asians its always about money and it always seems them not giving to us but the other way around. Mate, I would suggest you "Forget" your wallet or better still fall suddenly ill. Thais will understand that and its a great face saver and you save big bucks.

• Like 2

You don't have to give actually. Just bring 2 mandarin oranges or buy a hamper for the parents. Remember don't wear black or white- traditional Chinese old folks like red.

Remember to greet them with good words like Gong Xi Fa Cai or Xin Nian Kuai Le when give them the oranges/hamper.

He mentioned they are a Thai family.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why's a Thai family expect money for a Chinese New year?

Could it be that they're Chinese Thai as is my girlfriend and her family?

Flowers and some fruit for her mother and a small amount of cash for her mid 70's mother in my case. 500 baht was suggested but I didn't have any 500 baht notes so I put 1,000 baht into an envelope.

Alan

Thanks everyone. I think of them as a Thai family but my gf is quarter Chinese. As said earlier I ended up giving no money instead I gave the children boxes of chocolates and took a bottle of Jamaican rum for the adults. Everyone seemed happy. I feel they didn't expect anything now but I am happy I was able to contribute. It was a great day. I feel this has been a good thread and not only helped me through this day but will make it easier for the future when similar situations arise.