Royal Endfield overtakes Harley Davidson in motorcycles sales

guzzi850m2

The Indian bike maker sold over 300.000 bikes in 2014 and plan to make 450.000 this year, customers are waiting 12 month for their Endfiels.

It's sad they are not sold here in Thailand and at Indian prices too, I am not willing to pay 200-300.000 baht for one, but at say 150k baht I might buy one.

They write, the most sold motor cycle brand in the world? How many bikes are Honda selling per year? Scooters don't count.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saritharai/2015/02/18/indias-vintage-royal-enfield-overtakes-harley-davidson-by-motorcycle-sales/

Stats for 2014

HD - 47K

Ducati - 45K

BMW - 123K

Honda - 76K (over 250cc for japanese bikes)

Suzuki - 54K

Kawasaki - 43K

Yamaha - 110K

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

I think you have your figures mixed up a bit, particularly with BMW compared to the other manufacturers. The BMW numbers may be correct, but the others need a few zero's added.

I think you have your figures mixed up a bit, particularly with BMW compared to the other manufacturers. The BMW numbers may be correct, but the others need a few zero's added.

See the link. Not my figures - just passing them on.

Stats for 2014

HD - 47K

Ducati - 45K

BMW - 123K

Honda - 76K (over 250cc for japanese bikes)

Suzuki - 54K

Kawasaki - 43K

Yamaha - 110K

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

Of note is that is for japanese production bikes for the first 3 quarters. Honda has big plants in Brazil and Thailand.

It really comes down to price though doesn't it? The Ninja 250 was Kawasaki's best seller for donkey years (may still be). Than the CBR250 came along at a cheaper price and upset that cart. So, as mentioned in the Forbes article, when the product is at best 1/2 the price (and that's in the States where Harley and other manufacturer's aren't stung with import taxes), of course the more affordable option is going to win out.

The figures for BMW are worldwide, the figures you posted for the other brands are for Japan only.

In the US alone 483.526 bikes were sold, which is more than the total of your list.

The figures for BMW are worldwide, the figures you posted for the other brands are for Japan only.

In the US alone 483.526 bikes were sold, which is more than the total of your list.

Japanese produced...

270,726 motorcycles were shipped in 2014

Like I said ...

Read my post - all the manufacturers are not listed. eg. KTM, Husqvarna, etc

I did not list us sales, I listed HD sales. Not Victory, not Indian ...