Now This Was A Shocker...

weegee

Just been on the road driving along, and a ute flies past me at approx 90kPH...

In the back of the ute was a PRAM...with a baby inside it. Mother (maybe) was sitting with her back to the cab, the pram was in the middle of the rear Styleside... nearly beyond reach to her.

How the hell is this baby safe?... Made me cringe a little to see it....Imagine yourself in this scenario...

Doesnt take long to become anathematized to that and many other wierd and wonderful and often crazy instances you would never dream of "back home", but here's the thing, you aint "back home", as they Thais say "up to them" !

correct CharlieH....but I just couldnt come to grips with at first....

Doesnt take long to become anathematized to that and many other wierd and wonderful and often crazy instances you would never dream of "back home", but here's the thing, you aint "back home", as they Thais say "up to them" !

Know what you mean mate, the family of four on motorcycle with a baby in Mum's arms doing 60kph is just as crazy to me.

• Like 1

Weegee,

Dude, it's a pickup. Half these people will be trying to work out what a 'ute' is. ???

It's a funny story. I bet you did the 'double take' as it went past.

Now my question is, was this a Ute or a pick-up?

Because to this Englishman a Ute is far superior, having aluminium drop sides on bed raised above the rear wheels with much larger usable area than a "pick-up" which is essentially the woman's shopping car of utility vehicles with its puny bed size and plastic liner.

Is it possible to secure a pram, replete with newborn, on the load bed of a "Ute". We all know it's possible to do so with a pick-up as these have been designed specifically for the school run with tie down hoops on the bed liner.

Weegee,

Dude, it's a pickup. Half these people will be trying to work out what a 'ute' is. ???

Because to this Englishman a Ute is far superior, having aluminium drop sides on bed raised above the rear wheels with much larger usable area than a "pick-up" which is essentially the woman's shopping car of utility vehicles with its puny bed size and plastic liner.

Is it possible to secure a pram, replete with newborn, on the load bed of a "Ute". We all know it's possible to do so with a pick-up as these have been designed specifically for the school run with tie down hoops on the bed liner.

Yep. I have a ute. And of course the more cylinders you can have in ur ute the better in Oz. I wouldn't drive a ute unless it had 8 of them in V configuration......but u pommie softies drive gutless little 1.2 litre buzz boxes in the mother land. What size rubber bands do u stick in ur pommie uses ?

• Like 1

In OZ now...nothing can be put in the back of a ute, unless it's completely secured with ropes or straps....And having someone ride in the back was banned years ago, because of safety...

It's ok boys...weegee has settled down today and trying not to think about it......

Edited by weegee

Know what you mean mate, the family of four on motorcycle with a baby in Mum's arms doing 60kph is just as crazy to me.

Unfortunately i see these horrible things almost every day here in my neighbourhood... Sometimes those gals even have a mobile sandwitched between their ear and shoulder so they can blah blah blah while driving and holding the baby with one hand and some kids on the back of the bike.... CRAZINESS !!! But for Thais "mai pen rai..." -- The General keeps them happy.... facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYdfacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

Unfortunately i see these horrible things almost every day here in my neighbourhood... Sometimes those gals even have a mobile sandwitched between their ear and shoulder so they can blah blah blah while driving and holding the baby with one hand and some kids on the back of the bike.... CRAZINESS !!! But for Thais "mai pen rai..." -- The General keeps them happy.... facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYdfacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

Weegee,

Yep. I have a ute. And of course the more cylinders you can have in ur ute the better in Oz. I wouldn't drive a ute unless it had 8 of them in V configuration......but u pommie softies drive gutless little 1.2 litre buzz boxes in the mother land. What size rubber bands do u stick in ur pommie uses ?

Heard you're UTE got a wash down just recently.....

The sad thing is my wife has done the same for 8 years. I bought her a new car. Too much traffic! At first i used to hide the keys. Always found a way. Turned my back and she did the same. Brick wall situation, i did everything apart from get her by the throat. I ended up saying ''she gets hurt on that bike you better not survive the accident''. Here's the question, if i killed her in a fit of rage for killing my little girl where would i stand here!!

Doesnt take long to become anesthatised to that and many other weird and wonderful and often crazy instances you would never dream of "back home", but here's the thing, you aint "back home", as they Thais say "up to them" !

On one side in the west you need a license and be over 21 to pick in your own nose and on the other side here the 5 year old rides the motorbike with 100 in the town.....

Overprotective in the West and underprotective here. If they would make a one year exchange program with the German police both would improve.

• Like 1

I think people who say this is Thailand, get used to it are wrong. People need to speak up about this kind of thing. To put yourself at risk is one matter to put children at risk is quite another. The authorities need to enact legislation about children traveling in motor vehicles if it is not already on the statute books and it needs to be enforced. I know that therein lies the problem but for people, both Thai and foreign, to say and do nothing is letting down the very people we should be protecting, the very young who cannot protect themelves.

• Like 2

The sad thing is my wife has done the same for 8 years. I bought her a new car. Too much traffic! At first i used to hide the keys. Always found a way. Turned my back and she did the same. Brick wall situation, i did everything apart from get her by the throat. I ended up saying ''she gets hurt on that bike you better not survive the accident''. Here's the question, if i killed her in a fit of rage for killing my little girl where would i stand here!!

I would think, in a corner of a prison cell....

Know how you feel, but as some here have said....we can do nothing about it, even if we wanted to.

The child was fastened into a pushchair in the flatbed. The mother (or some adult) was also in the flatbed. The child was within her reach.

In Thailand this would be described as "Health and safety gone mad".

Health as in Fresh Air,,,,,,Safety as in Tied down,,,,Health and Safety,,,clap2.gif

I've got a 4 year old and a 3 month old and they are strapped in wherever we go and none of the kids have been on a bike yet but if they ever are, they will be wearing a good helmet first. My other half has been pretty good at keeping the kids safe, never questioned it and understands the risks, but then she's a uni grad, ex-K Bank worker so has education, brains AND common sense (a very rare thing amongst Thais). I sympathise with you, at the very least, your wife has no common sense but by the sound of things, not much of the others either!

Try showing her this story from TV a few months ago;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783602-child-7-badly-hurt-as-bike-and-pick-up-crash-into-huge-phuket-hole/

The little girl did not survive the head injuries she sustained and as it transpired from later reports, she was not wearing a seatbelt, something most people has guessed anyway.

Good luck, I hope she sees you point of view before you end up in jail.