wife wants a new job

crickets

My wife manages one of the big convience stores in pattaya and gets about 25k a month but says it had too many hours and i agree about 90 a week sometimes. She wants to start selling clothes at a market. Anyone know how much those vendors make in a month and how much the setup is?

4-5 years ago , vendors claim to sell 10 000 per day

2-3 years ago , 3000 per day

This year 300-500 per day.

Rent at theaparsit 700

No personal experience, know this info from 1 neighbour and an ex-staff.

Neighbour has been selling markets for at least 6 years.

Ex-staff begged for her job back after 2 months

• Like 2

Just speak to the Buakhao Market supervisor. He has the only 7-day-a-week fruit and veg stand on the far side of the market space and he's usually there solo. Go there on non-market days, otherwise he's too busy. Sorry I've now forgotten the Tuesday-Friday stall rental prices. On non-market days, it's 700 baht a day for a big space, if I remember correctly.

Rompho Market (Jomtien) has an office open weekdays. They have fixed spaces along the bar complex road, inside and out. But you can only sell at the outdoor market in evenings and it's too much money for a food vendor and not enough customers, if you ask me. I and the GF watched some evenings.

Short story, my GF sold soup for 3 months at Buakhao on non-market days. Very good product and a lot of customers. Still she was not clearing very much profit even after paring down costs. I think it's very hard to make money at markets because of the fixed costs and auxiliary out of pocket costs.

• Like 1

My Mrs when we came from the UK brought a container with all our domestic goods in together with a big stock of stuff from the mail order companies n the UK.

This was very good quality ladies dresses, coats lingerie Etc.

In all fairness the markets on The Thepprasit road or Jomtien were just too far for her to go so she settled for a stall on the old market on the middle of So Siam Country club road which has always been a busy and thriving market

After dong the market for about three months it became apparent it was a waste of time she was averaging maybe 5/600 baht a day in income over the period

If you took in to effect the daily journey and the simple cost of the stock in the UK even though bought very cheaply it couldnt ever have made a profit

Now if you are interested in some very nice stock and want a 3 x 3 secured (wired mesh) market stall please PM me and I will put your Mrs in touch with mine.

Finally if you do decide to do a market then dont go to the Thai alone markets because to have any chance of making any real money you need to be in the Thai/Tourist spots

We made a mistake in going to the Thai markets and maybe if we had to do it again would go for the best Thai/Tourist spot we could afford like on Thepprasit of Jomtien markets

Selling clothes at a market clearing 25,000 baht per month.

lots of work setting up/taking down then lots of boredom sitting around waiting for customers.... for ( probably ) very little reward

best to keep the job she has now and try to work less hours.

25000 a month? What kind of manager ? The ones I know make 50+

Exactly never known a manager from a BIG convenience store to earn 25K

Then you never saw the salary slip from the manager of the team that re-fills the sweetened milk section ... She would be happy getting 25 big ones a month biggrin.png

Luckily the sweet-milk-section-refill-manager is married to the senior deputy manager of the engineering team (you probably saw him around there, the boy who holds the ladder from the one who changes the light bulbs).

• Like 2

I think 25000 THB/month pay for a person without high education is a good salary in Thailand. I know some people with university degree working for a lot less, and with a hard schedule. Only after many years of employment some get over that amount, but not more than 35.000/40.000. Most Thai working for those salaries in Government jobs that I know, do it because the stability, the benefits and retirement terms.

Self employment looks very risky in Thailand without good management and accounting skills.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 2

Maybe the wife do not need to work if you can support her financially ? If she works 90 hours per week, how can you have time together ? Maybe better to give her some pocket money ?

Last year paid sin sod bought her a car and put down a deposit for a house in her name and renovated her parents house. I dont think she wants to sit around the house all day. She has a home loan in her name.

Caring husband, car, house, all what she needs now, is a baby.

Last year paid sin sod bought her a car and put down a deposit for a house in her name and renovated her parents house. I dont think she wants to sit around the house all day. She has a home loan in her name.

If she loved you she will be with you

this seems like a con

Sorry to inform

Not everybody wants a lazy dark cockroach as a wife !

Some of us enjoy staying with an educated person who has something else to talk about but food and kids...

But yes, if the OP is rich enough he should open her a REAL business, not what the poorest do when they cannot do anything else.

Tesco. My point is some days 7am sratr to 1am finish is too much for anyone. I know 25k profit at a market is unrealistic but i am happy with 12k. Dont like seeing her half dead through work. Have been togeather for 5 years and she did it to prove a point on being self sufficent. I know what its like to hate your job but have never done those kind of hours. She has no degree and i dont want her in a resteraunt or bar.

Credit to her for working so hard. If you want to see her less tired and see more of her, then help her establish a market business. But as you note, she won't make much money. If any, I say. If it's just to keep her busy, admirable indeed. However, there are probably a 1,000 clothing sellers in the Pattaya area. The mobile carts at night sell dresses for a 100 baht, which probably means 20 baht profit. Girls won't look at a dress for 150 or 200! Might want to think of higher end but then you'd have to have an expensive shop in a decent area.

Overall, the problem at markets is they're way oversubscribed, just too many selling the same things. A tough project.

If she loved you she will be with you

this seems like a con

Sorry to inform

Not everybody wants a lazy dark cockroach as a wife !

Some of us enjoy staying with an educated person who has something else to talk about but food and kids...

But yes, if the OP is rich enough he should open her a REAL business, not what the poorest do when they cannot do anything else.

I bet to deffer with you what educated person who has something else to talk about but food and kids.works for about 65 baht a hours basic on 90 hours a week for 25,000

Would you have such a educated person who love work for that.

Something makes no sense

My wife staryed there 3 years ago and worked her way up. She didnt expect this kinda of work load to happen and i will make her quit next year. She is 27 and its a good experience for her. As for the "im being conned" thing thats rubbish. I waited almost 4 years of living with her before i got her anything and i have been living in pattaya long enough to know the good the bad and the ugly. You wont find many as good as mine i assure u that.