How to train a Bangkeaw Dog To Stay Out of an Area?

FACTOR

I have two young, and very active, Bangkeaw dogs. I want to train them to stay out of the open-air ground floor area of our house which is traditional style -- on stilts, open on all sides, and our eating area is there. At first, we let them stay there, but now they are chewing stuff -- table legs, electrical coverings etc... (ref my previous post), and just sort of making the place dirty. My wife wants to put up a small bamboo fence around the whole area, but I'd like to take the approach of training the dogs to stay out.

Any advice on how I can train them to do that? Take them by the collar, point to the area and firmly say "NO" over and over until they get it?

Thanks.

I would have thought you got enough answers in your last post,,, "you could start watching The Dog Whisperer on you tube"... if your dogs are anything like mine were the only thing that will keep them out is a fence... you can beat the ass of them but as soon as you turn your head they will be back especially if they like an area,,, Bang Keaw's are as stubborn as a Thai wife when her mother is visiting,,

At the end of the day they want to be part of the family and unless you build a fence, tie them up , or put them in a kennel they will pretty much do what they like when your not around to stop them.....

• Like 2

Your authority over a dog diminishes with absence, even though when you return to the scene you can re-assert it.

Reminds me of the people who had a dog who had been "trained" to never sleep on a large rug in the living room. Every morning they would get up and the dog would greet them, wagging his tail. He was never on the rug when this happened, but if they put their hand down on one particular corner, they would feel the warmth of where he had been ....

I'm for building the fence.

A dog's most sensitive sense is its sense of smell. put something which the dog finds unpleasant around the area ... I once lived in a small resort where my neighbour befriended all the stray dogs and cats in the area and the previous occupant of my bungalow was also complicit in this. I ended up spraying them with fly spray every time they tried to come inside or onto my balcony. It took a week or so, but i was never troubled by them again.

post-220724-0-56996500-1424688111_thumb.post-220724-0-94184000-1424687939_thumb.post-220724-0-77480600-1424687873_thumb.I would give them a treat and loads of affection when they are out of your forbidden zone and both ignore when inside and a pat on the nose with an angry tone of voice when inside. My experience has shown that dogs learn quickly from the tone of your voice and hand signals when you mean business. They soon learn what "Out" and "Home" means.

I have six dogs.

I told you once on this topic....... you are screwed, wrong breed and clueless "owner."

You do not understand that the dog receiving a beating from you just thinks you are asserting your dominance as he would expect from any other top dog around. Also, shouting at dog is just like barking and meaningless to him other than signal for him to get to barking also.

You do not deserve to "have" a dog. Get a pro trainer. Dont you read answers on this venue or just enjoy asking repetitive questions???blink.png

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance and I know I could look it up but what is a Bangkeaw dog? Also how old are they? If they are young, say under 1 year, get them a crate each, and this is where they are to stay when you don't want them inside and want to train them. Not all day mind you. By letting them stay in that area you have created a rod for your own back and it will take time and many repetitions for them to learn. Also, with two dogs, very difficult to train together, if you intend to do it by yourself.

Never ever hit them, they have to trust you and you must establish yourself as the alpha leader. If you do not, then kiss goodbye whatever you attempt to do. Believe me. dogs are not dumb, some are just a little slower to learn. Grab yourself some doggy treats, you may have to do this by trial and error to see what they react best to. I found my German Shepherd loves the little milk bottles you can get from most pet shops. You must start with the basic obedience, especially the stay position. If you cannot spend at least half an hour a day, doing this, then forget it. With the chewing your dogs are bored, and sound like they need more exercise. Just remember a tired dog is a good dog.

They must be scolded if they do something not to your liking but softly, do not raise your voice but when they do want you expect, give them heaps of praise and treats. My dog is 8 months old and was allowed in the bedroom, not on the bed, up until he was 6 months old. I gave him a command to stay out and showed him, as well as praise and treats and despite a few of sleepless nights he now remains outside the room unless I allow him to enter.

It will be up to you to pick the suitable command but it must be done every day and always with kindness and praise when they succeed. I don't know your layout but if you have a grassed yard around the area you want to keep them out of, then beside the crates, put in a stake, attach a lead to their collar and then make then sit, drop and stay, using treats at all times, and keep this up daily. Obviously you do not leave them chained at all times but let one off at a time and if he ventures toward where you do not want him to go, then scold him with a stern NO or what ever else you choose for a command. If he does not enter, then praise and treat. Also, very important, if you are training, do not let any one else interfere, two different people giving the same command will only confuse the dogs.

Never forget that there is no magic bullet in training an animal, and that is what they are, they are not humans and definitely not children, so do not treat them as such. Just get them to accept you as the pack leader, trust you and be prepared to spend the time with them. If you do you will have obedient and a loyal best friend, one with out any expectations other than a kind and caring master. Years of joy for you both.

I have seen the other posts suggesting you scowl loudly and hit the animals. If you do then you really do not deserve dogs, if you don't then treat them right and just repetition after repetition and you will end up with happy, obedient and loyal dogs. If not then you could end up with double trouble.

Same way as monkeys: 22 rim fire. Or- get off you butt and put some serious time into training your dogs. Bad dog = unconcerned owner. Then out comes the 22 rim fire. For the dogs, of course. Stupid humans we just have to live with.

To people like KhnomKhonm ( Dont you read answers on this venue or just enjoy asking repetitive questions???blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_TIbQsYc) and TomYumpoochai (This is groundhog day right? I thought i read n replied to this yesterday? ) who can't grasp the differences between my two posts --- the first one about dealing with a specific problem of dogs chewing, seeking a range of remedies, not just training, and my second post which was more general about training dogs, LEARN TO READ, or are you just naturally grumpy? If just grumpy, go back to the General Topics forum and get off the PETS forum; I came to this forum to get away from people like you.

Thanks to all the others for some great general ideas about training dogs.

I told you once on this topic....... you are screwed, wrong breed and clueless "owner."

You do not understand that the dog receiving a beating from you just thinks you are asserting your dominance as he would expect from any other top dog around. Also, shouting at dog is just like barking and meaningless to him other than signal for him to get to barking also.

You do not deserve to "have" a dog. Get a pro trainer. Dont you read answers on this venue or just enjoy asking repetitive questions???blink.png

KhnomKhonm wrote: You do not deserve to "have" a dog. Get a pro trainer. Dont you read answers on this venue or just enjoy asking repetitive questions???blink.png

Thanks for reminding me that the more people I know the more I love my dog.

attachicon.gifDSC00123.JPGattachicon.gifleo and roller.jpgattachicon.gifDSC00219.JPGI would give them a treat and loads of affection when they are out of your forbidden zone and both ignore when inside and a pat on the nose with an angry tone of voice when inside. My experience has shown that dogs learn quickly from the tone of your voice and hand signals when you mean business. They soon learn what "Out" and "Home" means.

I have six dogs.

my way was a pat on the nose with a rolled up newspaper,and yes a strong message with a different tone of voice,the same as when telling the wife,THEY ARE NOT COMING.[inlaws]

dont forget they are part of the family so where you eat,sleep and even crap they to are welcome.as for cleaning after them thats part of the wifes housework.