Expat returning to USA after extended period car insurance

They can be a bit stiff. A few years ago I moved from Alabama to Florida. I decided to switch from Geico to Statefarm. Statefarm gave me a decent quote but when I went down to the office to sign up and pay, they alleged that my coverage had lapsed by two weeks. State Farm increased my premiums by 50% from the phone quote I had from them. In absolute numbers it was about $400 more per year. Now I have an old car, no collision on the vehicle and I just had and wanted basic liability, non-insured motorist and that stuff. So depending what you are insuring it will probably be a higher percentage than what I was running into.

Well the good news is that your driving history is clean due to your absence

The bad news is If you let your US Drivers license lapse you could be in for a real nasty surprise when you have to get a learners permit and start the whole process over. Once you get fully licensed you will be classified, for insurance purposes, as a new driver, which will put you in the high risk pool

They go back three years for accidents, five for tickets and suspensions. If you were gone longer than that, you are clean.

No insurance for a period of time means you are starting over. You'll pay higher rates for one year, then they will come down. Two cars or homeowner's or life insurance added will bring the price down.

Price depends heavily on where the policy is written. LA is far higher than San Antonio, etc.

An older car with basic coverage, that required by law and excluding things like collision, will likely be between $50-80 per month. New cars, full coverage with a $1000 deductible on collision, maybe $110-120/mo.

Had a problem with The People's Republic of California upon returning from first expat stint of 3 years. Car parked at parents, never driven. The yearly registration had lapsed and I was told I was required to have maintained some kind of "non use" registry and had to pay a penalty. Sorry I was young, didn't know....20 years now I remember I drove it to the DMV in Los Gatos and got pulled over by Ponch and John directly in front of the office. Explained and they let me go. Nice guys.

Edited by arunsakda

Well the good news is that your driving history is clean due to your absence

The bad news is If you let your US Drivers license lapse you could be in for a real nasty surprise when you have to get a learners permit and start the whole process over. Once you get fully licensed you will be classified, for insurance purposes, as a new driver, which will put you in the high risk pool

What state requires a learner's permit? Connecticut?

Most states allow a license expired less than a year to be renewed without penalty. Over a year requires written and driving test. Pass and you get a license.

Had a problem with The People's Republic of California upon returning from first expat stint of 3 years. Car parked at parents, never driven. The yearly registration had lapsed and I was told I was required to have maintained some kind of "non use" registry and was had tO pay a penalty. Sorry I was young, didn't know.

Yep. In California, you can put your car up on blocks and store it indoors for ten years, but still requires the yearly registration. Pathetic, huh?

• Like 1

Had a problem with The People's Republic of California upon returning from first expat stint of 3 years. Car parked at parents, never driven. The yearly registration had lapsed and I was told I was required to have maintained some kind of "non use" registry and was had tO pay a penalty. Sorry I was young, didn't know.

Yep. In California, you can put your car up on blocks and store it indoors for ten years, but still requires the yearly registration. Pathetic, huh?

Kalifornia is spelled with a K. Even my spell checker likes it.

Just North in Oregon I have seen bumper stickers aimed at people moving from Kalifornia. They say "Don't Kalifornicate Oregon."

All you have to do is non-op it. My car in storage there is non-operating status. (And no guys it's not the project car in my avatar)

Insurance is based on your driving record, City you are in, mileages to be driven, the coverage, Car make model, and year, That's it.

Since you have had any tickets or accidents in the states being that you have been gone you'll get a fairly good rate. Costs have gone up for all drivers so it may not appear at first you are getting a good rate. So best simply do a quick estimate on line, easy to do.

Take a guess at the car model and year. You'll need to guess at some of the questions but do not worry it's only an estimate. Same issue for ne when i went back after a long absence. Don't sweat it too much.

You can renew drivers license online

Florida gives a 10 year license

Be forewarned about Florida. I am a Florida resident. Florida is doing the TSA mandated "Gold Star" program. When you get a new license or renew an old one, they ask for more than the usual amount of documentation: ID such as a passport, Recent copies of two bills sent to your current address, etc. I just did it in 2012 when my license came up for renewal and it had to be done in person.

Edited by gk10002000

I'm with Allstate in Washington State. They suspend all but the comprehensive coverage when I'm in Thailand. That way I'm covered if the car is stolen or destroyed/damaged in some way while in storage (i.e., my garage). It's pretty cheap. Obviously this approach won't work if your insurance has already lapsed, but it may be something to consider in the future.