Installing security bars on windows help needed

Kenny202

Naive question coming up: In Switzerland traditionally this security problem was solved by using wood shutters, which can be secured on the inside at night. Good insulation and much cheaper than bars. So why is this option ignored ?

Naive question coming up: In Switzerland traditionally this security problem was solved by using wood shutters, which can be secured on the inside at night. Good insulation and much cheaper than bars. So why is this option ignored ?

Same reason they no longer build wooden houses. Wood is terribly expensive here, not to mention wood provides good nourishment to the endemic Thai termites

are you talking about the side to side shutters or the roll down ones ?

and one reason may be that you have to "think" before you leave to close and lock them......

security bars are always "closed"

Safety first - when installing bars on windows or door areas, at a minimum you should consider the one's that provide a design that enables a method of exit. They have them with a swing hindge that can be opened from inside the home.

The worst thing someone can do is bar up all windows and not have an alternative exit path in the event of an emergency such as smoke and fire. If you have children in your home it's a good time to think about and talk about safety in the home and exit paths if there were ever a fire.

Bars are a deterrent for potential intruders but don't ever bar yourself in from the inside. Think smart when installing bars on the windows.

We bought a rental property with bars. The fire department made us put escape hatches in them. The key to the padlock is kept inside the room. The second time around, I had the escape window made larger.

They are held into the concrete wall with lead anchors, which are pretty hard to remove/

post-103093-0-48043000-1424873718_thumb.

post-103093-0-60992800-1424875454_thumb.

Edited by Pacificperson

Why not instal the bars inside?

When I changed my windows to the aluminum sliding type, they installed the bars on the inside , I asked "Why??" the contractor said, 'if outside, no one can see your beautiful windows...........the bars are in the way', just shook my head and accepted it - the windows look good ,don't really see the bars easily until you are close up...........no Kamoey's so far - knocking on wood.

thumbsup.gif

Would never recommend fitting any bars on windows,

contents can be replaced if stolen,but you and your

family only have one life,If fire breaks out in the house

how do you get out !, saying houses are built of concrete

does not say furnishing cannot catch fire,if you could see

a sofa ablaze,spewing out toxic fumes,which you are more

to die from than the actual fire.

regards Worgeordie

And why could you not use the doors to escape such a fire? Window bars are a fact of life here as they are many places in the world - those living in high rise face the same risks - but fires are few - just as they are few in concrete construction single family homes.

Our house in Jomtien had an electric fence! Was never quite sure it was actually plugged into anything- but looked very impressive!

Personally I would hate to live behind bars.

Do they do those security roller blinds anywhere?

We've just come back from a holiday in Spain and my wife asked if we can get the built in security shutters they use there in Thailand. They're secure and keep out the sun.

Here's a vendor:

http://www.kssthailand.com/products/domestic-shutters/

We just did it. We have metalframed windows, so they weldes the bars with TIG.

Four windows was 16.000 THB incl. job.

20150219_171951.jpg

How did they weld stainless bars to an aluminum window ?

Also lol @ people suggesting using screws to fix the bars, small half inch cold chisel and hammer will have the heads off them screws with ease. they will pop just like squeezing a pimple.

• Like 1