US names first global envoy for gay rights

webfact

US names first global envoy for gay rights
JOSH LEDERMAN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States is naming its first international envoy for gay rights.

The State Department says Randy Berry will be its special envoy to promote human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

Berry is a veteran diplomat currently serving as consul general at the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He's also served at U.S. posts in Bangladesh, Egypt, Uganda and South Africa, and speaks Spanish and Arabic.

The State Department said earlier it would appoint an openly gay foreign service officer to the post.

Secretary of State John Kerry says Berry will help the Obama administration put gay rights at the core of its human rights efforts globally. The U.S. has urged foreign countries to eliminate laws that criminalize consensual same-sex activity.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-24

They are still struggling with gay rights in their own country, get that fixed first.

Struggling yes, but clearly moving in the right direction, towards greater civil rights. Unlike some other countries like Russia and some in Africa that have moved in the wrong direction.

They are still struggling with gay rights in their own country, get that fixed first.

Struggling yes, but clearly moving in the right direction, towards greater civil rights. Unlike some other countries like Russia and some in Africa that have moved in the wrong direction.

Right for you maybe.

Who says it's the right direction? I like how they do it in China. Homosexuals marry and have kids to preserve the tradition, but then have same-sex relations on the side. It's effectively tolerated but in a mixed way.

With people in certain 3rd world countries breeding like rats, do we really need a lower birth rate in the civilized world?

Maybe he will come here where it is open to all and learn.

The only thing I have against the LGBT group is that the radicals seem to think the world should bow to them. The court cases forcing businesses to make cakes and do photos of weddings is a little over the top.

Maybe he will come here where it is open to all and learn.

The only thing I have against the LGBT group is that the radicals seem to think the world should bow to them. The court cases forcing businesses to make cakes and do photos of weddings is a little over the top.

Read the OP. The international focus is mainly to oppose criminalization. Nothing radical about that.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shouldn't matter whether its a choice or not. It's about basic human rights for a widely oppressed minority. Christians in Egypt can choose to be Muslims. Makes no difference either way if its right or wrong to oppress them.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Who says it's the right direction? I like how they do it in China. Homosexuals marry and have kids to preserve the tradition, but then have same-sex relations on the side. It's effectively tolerated but in a mixed way.

With people in certain 3rd world countries breeding like rats, do we really need a lower birth rate in the civilized world?

The difficulty I have with your suggestion is that it is very unfair to a lot of women. How would you like for your daughter or sister to end up with a closeted gay guy, who gets her pregnant but keeps her in a loveless marriage while he dabbles around with the lads?

To each their own, but any relationship needs to be built on some modicum of honesty. If they both are agreeable, I have no problem, but deceiving another person is most unpalatable to me.

But we are staying off topic a bit.

Obama administration put gay rights at the core of its human rights efforts globally!

This is one area the US should mind their own business...with the world falling apart economically...with wars going on in a multitude of countries...with innocent people being removed from their homes and many being slaughtered for no good reason...Obama wants to send out a gay envoy to promote gay rights around the world...

I can hear the international community laughing their heads off at this new Obama initiative...

I know...all you gays are busy ordering penis cakes to celebrate...

• Like 1

Obama administration put gay rights at the core of its human rights efforts globally!

This is one area the US should mind their own business...with the world falling apart economically...with wars going on in a multitude of countries...with innocent people being removed from their homes and many being slaughtered for no good reason...Obama wants to send out a gay envoy to promote gay rights around the world...

I can hear the international community laughing their heads off at this new Obama initiative...

I know...all you gays are busy ordering penis cakes to celebrate...

Ignoring your idiotic homophobic comment insinuating that being gay is all about sex organs, let me remind reasonable people that one of the reasons innocent people are being slaughtered in the world is because they are gay. These murders are inspired by both Muslim and Christian based rationales.

As Hillary Clinton, our next U.S. president most likely, famously said: Gay rights are human rights.

And one human right is not being murdered (or beaten up, imprisoned, etc.) for who you are ... whether race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1