Will never complain about Patong again

phuketrichard

Yes, Samui really is Paradise Lost.

Went to Chaweng beach in 1982. Bungalow right on the beach 100 Bt per night. Only place to eat was the restaurant belonging to the bungalows.

We used to collect Hoi Lai straight off the beach, boiled 'em up and ate them.

A stunningly beautiful coconut palm covered island.

that's 33 years ago.....everywhere changes and usually not for the best.I have been on Samui 8 years now and i have also noticed the changes.Now there are too many cars,trucks,buses etc.and too many actually residing here now.It's a shame used to be a lovely place.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more with your post, I've been going to lamai for the past 9 years and even in that short time I've seen a drastic change and definitely for the worse such a shame because I fell in love with the place first time I went. I was there for 2days just before Xmas and it was like a ghost town.

• Like 2

Spent 3months on Lamai beach in 1989 it was fantastic. I met the owner of Palm Burger. He was upset because he was unable to open a second location as it would have been deemed a franchise and back then branchs or franchises were not allowed......

Samui is paradise lost like so much of Thailand. Wall to wall shops , obnoxious foreigners and obnoxious Thais. Mafia controlled , numerous foreign criminals, over priced crap Thai food, crowded beaches. Travel half way around the world to the pit of humanity for what ? Having said that Pattaya , Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai, Pai, Koh Chang and other locations add to the list.

• Like 1

Every thing has changed- I really believe the golden age for travel has gone- anywhere remote is now filled with back packers with dubious personal hygiene.

The major cities are a nightmare- just so crowded- cheap flights pour in every where.

Samui certainly used to be a pleasant destination , last time I was there- a huge screen on the beach showing football ( the most boring sport in the world), those idiots waving fire around and trance playing- it's all so banal and predictable.

• Like 1

Oh Your talking about the infamous Kho San Road - Full Moon Party morons. Or hippie wannabes. What a great bunch.

Every thing has changed- I really believe the golden age for travel has gone- anywhere remote is now filled with back packers with dubious personal hygiene.
The major cities are a nightmare- just so crowded- cheap flights pour in every where.
Samui certainly used to be a pleasant destination , last time I was there- a huge screen on the beach showing football ( the most boring sport in the world), those idiots waving fire around and trance playing- it's all so banal and predictable.

Samui is paradise lost like so much of Thailand. Wall to wall shops , obnoxious foreigners and obnoxious Thais. Mafia controlled , numerous foreign criminals, over priced crap Thai food, crowded beaches. Travel half way around the world to the pit of humanity for what ? Having said that Pattaya , Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai, Pai, Koh Chang and other locations add to the list.

Seems you've pretty accurately summed up the whole scenario,especially island life. For years I loved going to Phuket ( karon beach) and diving in the similans. I haven't been able to go for 4/5 years and now been widely advised against revisiting. It begs the question, where now for a beach holiday especially as I'm a snorkelling/ diving fan? Went to Cha am last week for a few days and visited Hua hin for a day. Ok for a break but beach/sea underwhelming,especially in Hua hin, and no enthusiasm for a repeat trip especially compared to what Phuket used to be like. Went to koh Chang about 8 years ago and again underwhelmed (poor beaches)So where's the next island/ beach resort to try?...... Koh Lanta and adjacent islands? I've recently emigrated to Phimai (korat) where we have a house but wish to get away on a regular basis Answers on a postcard please?

First went to Samui in 1978, it was a true unspoiled tropical paradise back then. But of course everything changes. I've made countless visits to Samui over the years since then and have lived there a couple times for lengthy periods. Even though the island grew and became developed it was still good, still had some special charm. However last visit just about 8 months ago was horrible. I hated everything about the rotten island. Over-developed, crowded, terrible traffic, stinking fumes from the roads, Thais burning their trash & plastic everywhere. I hated every minute I was on the island, was ecstatic when I finally got off it, and I'll never go there again. After Samui we went to Krabi and that was great, had a real nice time there.

Edited by TSF

Seems you've pretty accurately summed up the whole scenario,especially island life. For years I loved going to Phuket ( karon beach) and diving in the similans. I haven't been able to go for 4/5 years and now been widely advised against revisiting. It begs the question, where now for a beach holiday especially as I'm a snorkelling/ diving fan? Went to Cha am last week for a few days and visited Hua hin for a day. Ok for a break but beach/sea underwhelming,especially in Hua hin, and no enthusiasm for a repeat trip especially compared to what Phuket used to be like. Went to koh Chang about 8 years ago and again underwhelmed (poor beaches)So where's the next island/ beach resort to try?...... Koh Lanta and adjacent islands? I've recently emigrated to Phimai (korat) where we have a house but wish to get away on a regular basis Answers on a postcard please?

My answer: just return to Karon or Kata and ignore the nay sayers.

I went to Samui for the first time this christmas and then I went to Phuket over new year also for the first time.

It was the first and only time, will never go back to either Samui or Phuket again, shithole both of them if you ask me.

There is so much nicer places in Thailand but I will not tell you where.. ;-)

A couple of months ago you were planning a move to Phuket.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783883-move-to-phuket/

You were given lots of good advice about how to live there as an expat. Did you ignore it all and just head to Bangla Road on your brief visit?

Perhaps Isaan is calling your name.

• Like 2

Went to Chaweng beach in 1982. Bungalow right on the beach 100 Bt per night. Only place to eat was the restaurant belonging to the bungalows.

For 100 Baht, must have been a really nice place wink.png

My first trip to Koh Samui was also in 1982. Paid Baht 50/night for what I considered a very nice bungalow. There were cheaper places, but I wanted a bungalow with it’s own private bathroom, shower, and it had a hammock out on the lanai. Talked the owner of the bungalows into renting one of his motorcycles to me. Traveled all around the island. Never saw another Farang on a motorcycle the whole time I was there. Went to a nice waterfall and went for a swim. There were a couple of kids hanging out, but never saw anyone else. It was pretty laid back. Pre-internet. Back when you found out about places by word of mouth. In fact, I found out about Koh Samui when I was sitting at a little open air Bar-Beer across from the water in Pattaya. Drinking beers and talking with a guy from Great Britain. He told me about “This great little island in the south” that he had just come from, and how to get there. Traveling solo as a young man it was all very adventurous and exciting back then.

My wife keeps bugging me to go since she has never been, and Koh Samui is “Famous”. So far I’ve been able to resist

• Like 1

My first trip to Koh Samui was also in 1982. Paid Baht 50/night for what I considered a very nice bungalow. There were cheaper places, but I wanted a bungalow with it’s own private bathroom, shower, and it had a hammock out on the lanai. Talked the owner of the bungalows into renting one of his motorcycles to me. Traveled all around the island. Never saw another Farang on a motorcycle the whole time I was there. Went to a nice waterfall and went for a swim. There were a couple of kids hanging out, but never saw anyone else. It was pretty laid back. Pre-internet. Back when you found out about places by word of mouth. In fact, I found out about Koh Samui when I was sitting at a little open air Bar-Beer across from the water in Pattaya. Drinking beers and talking with a guy from Great Britain. He told me about “This great little island in the south” that he had just come from, and how to get there. Traveling solo as a young man it was all very adventurous and exciting back then.

My wife keeps bugging me to go since she has never been, and Koh Samui is “Famous”. So far I’ve been able to resist

I was there around the same time, but how come you guys remember what you paid? I have no clue what I paid for something 30+ years ago. Did you receive a receipt (would be unheard of) and keep it?

I was there around the same time, but how come you guys remember what you paid? I have no clue what I paid for something 30+ years ago. Did you receive a receipt (would be unheard of) and keep it?

Maybe they have a good memory

I never speak of the places i travel to. Soon or later the sex tourists with the help of the bar girls will follow. Hippie Wannabe/Gap year idiot soon not far behind. As soon as one English sign appears it is only a matter of months if not a year the mobs will follow. Have moved more than once because of this. I moved to Thailand to live with the Thais. If i wanted to hang with a bunch of mostly obnoxious very questionable low quality human beings i would just stay in what i call the foreign slums. They are like sheep . Once word gets out and they are able to drink booze non stop and dine at their favorite Burger King or Pizza Hut kiss paradise goodbye. Never have understood the logic. Travel so far and hang with the same group you left behind, eat the same crap food, watch tv and basically treat the Thais like crap.

Edited by Jungle Jim