Move to Phuket

pbonline

Hi.
Im a new member here and a Swede that want to find out as much as possible about how it is to live in Phuket full time.
Today I live in Hua Hin but have some thoughts about moving south.
Phuket have so much nicer nature but I also hear there is some things not so good, expensive, russians etc.
But I would like to here from you guys living there if all is just a myth or what?

It is funny that you should post this today because I was just talking with a Thai friend from Phuket this morning. She knows quite a few Westerners there and she said that she was struck by the large number of them who told her they were considering moving to Hua Hin. Their basic reason seemed to be that Phuket was just too expensive now.

I'll give you the advice that was given to me.

Try it for a year, don't commit yourself to a long-term arrangement. i.e. rent somewhere.

Then if you live through all seasons especially low-season then you will know it it's right for you.

A lot comes down to where you live, whether you have friends & family close by etc.

+1

I am living in Phuket for 18 years now, my rent never went up, I have a great friendship with my (Thai) landlord. The original lease contract was set up for 2 years, we never extended it, I am just paying my rent... No problems at all. I wish you can find a landlord like that guy... I suggest never rent from a falang...

I am living in Phuket for 18 years now, my rent never went up, I have a great friendship with my (Thai) landlord. The original lease contract was set up for 2 years, we never extended it, I am just paying my rent... No problems at all. I wish you can find a landlord like that guy... I suggest never rent from a falang...

All well and good if you can find an old school Thai who is not greedy.I also lived on Phuket for a long time and my rent only increased by 500 bht over 8 years.That is until the landlords son came on the scene and the rent started to go up and up and if you tried to reason with him he just got aggressive and told to you to move out.

I think out of the 8 houses he owned 6 moved out and the rent almost doubled.

That with all the other crap that goes with Phuket seemed a good time to move on.

Fortunately I only have to return to Pooket for one week a month now.

All depends what you want but I prefer the quiet places now.

• Like 1

The grass always seems greener on the other side ;-)

I´ve been living in Hua Hin for 2 years now and for sure, it´s a nice small easy going town, but really booring when youré in party mode, It takes about 15 min to walk slowly around the bar area here and it is always the same shit and ugly girls.

Ok we have some really nice golfcourses if you into golf but golf is a really money burner even up here.

The beach is ok for walking, really great for walking actually when it´s low water but not for swimming, the water is not what you could say clear comparing to the Phuket area...

I got lucky and found a very nice landlord, actually an English guy and the rent is ok and the house is in probably in the best village here and that whats keeping me thinking twice about moving. But there is a lot of houses for rent here so not really a problem if I want to come back.

When you say it´s expensive in Phuket, what exactly do you have in mind?
Here in Hua Hin I pay 25.000 baht/month in rent for a really nice fully furnished 3 bedroom villa with real european kitchen, close to the communal pool and close to centre of town.
What would you have to pay in Phuket for something similar?

I don´t really know anything about the areas in Phuket but what I heard Rawai is a nice place to live in?

Is it more things that got expensive in Phuket?
I never use taxi and I presume you can eat noodles för 35 baht over there to if you know where to go?

If a nice quiet retirement destination is what your looking for then better look another place. If partying with unmannered cheap charlies, crowd and queues is what you look for go for it.

Yep, was waiting for the Phuket bashers to start piping in, I wish there was an automatic script that made these types plug in "how much time actually spent in Phuket", "Where do you really live full time" "Time spent in Phuket was in what area (95% would be had a week in Patong)". Felt 35 where does the OP say "quiet retirement destination"?

OP many different parts of the island, maybe you can describe what you're after and those of us that actually live here can help you out. Now, goofball Phuket bashers in Nakon Nowhere, have at it, the rest of us will enjoy our lives here.

That is why I asked you guys that really lives in Phuket about how it is, I´ve also been at Bangla and walking street in Pattaya..whistling.gif

I am just 49 years old so retirement is still a bit away, for a quiet retirement I would recommend Hua Hin..

I like to live in a quiet secure village not so far away from city but what I´m missing in Hua Hin is nice nature and fun party within a reasonable distans.

I would never live in Patong for holiday but can easily spend 2 hours at Bangla one or two times a year just looking at crazy people laugh.png

If you not count rent and golf, how much do you spend for a month for a Non cheap charlie life, I don´t drink much alkohol so skip that to but I have a gf that sometimes needs a 300 baht dress and some nailpolish wink.png

Edited by pbonline

If a nice quiet retirement destination is what your looking for then better look another place. If partying with unmannered cheap charlies, crowd and queues is what you look for go for it.

Pretty sad comment, and perhaps reflects your own lifestyle rather than the majority of others.

What is perhaps the biggest draw of expat potential residents to Phuket is it's diversity and general ease of living. There are places on the island that are extrememly quiet, and conversely there's 'Pattaya style' entertainment venues in Patong. Whether dining out, or shopping, pretty much everything is covered. Some great beaches, offshore islands that are within easy reach, sports and social activities of good standards, and of course it's own international airport and a range of hospitals.

Many people don't distinguish between the experiences of visiting tourists, and those of resident expats. Few expats live the life of perennial tourists, have their own transport, and are extremely unlikely to have a rush of blood to the head and crave the need to ride a jet ski.

I see you live in Chalong area, what can you tell me about it?

We are going to Phuket for a week holiday over new year and I´d like to explore the areas where we might like to live. I don´t really know anything about outside the tourist areas, only heard that Rawai is nice.

I don´t want to live in the middle of nowhere and like to hang around with other falangs, can´t speak thai wink.png

Also nice if there is a good gym in the area.

Edited by pbonline

Pretty sad comment, and perhaps reflects your own lifestyle rather than the majority of others.

What is perhaps the biggest draw of expat potential residents to Phuket is it's diversity and general ease of living. There are places on the island that are extrememly quiet, and conversely there's 'Pattaya style' entertainment venues in Patong. Whether dining out, or shopping, pretty much everything is covered. Some great beaches, offshore islands that are within easy reach, sports and social activities of good standards, and of course it's own international airport and a range of hospitals.

Many people don't distinguish between the experiences of visiting tourists, and those of resident expats. Few expats live the life of perennial tourists, have their own transport, and are extremely unlikely to have a rush of blood to the head and crave the need to ride a jet ski.

I see you live in Chalong area, what can you tell me about it?

We are going to Phuket for a week holiday over new year and I´d like to explore the areas where we might like to live. I don´t really know anything about outside the tourist areas, only heard that Rawai is nice.

I don´t want to live in the middle of nowhere and like to hang around with other falangs, can´t speak thai wink.png

Also nice if there is a good gym in the area.

Both Rawai and Chalong cover qjuite extensive areas, and are next to each other, are are both popular with expats. Both have broad ranges of housing options, diverse restaurants, and local gyms. Chalong has more shopping, though Rawai is only minutes away from them also (depending on the traffic at Chalong circle). Rawai has a more established expat scene (bars with mix of tourists and residents).

Best you have a look around, I'm sure there will be something that interests you.

Yep, was waiting for the Phuket bashers to start piping in, I wish there was an automatic script that made these types plug in "how much time actually spent in Phuket", "Where do you really live full time" "Time spent in Phuket was in what area (95% would be had a week in Patong)". Felt 35 where does the OP say "quiet retirement destination"?

OP many different parts of the island, maybe you can describe what you're after and those of us that actually live here can help you out. Now, goofball Phuket bashers in Nakon Nowhere, have at it, the rest of us will enjoy our lives here.

To comment on your question regarding time spent in Phuket.. official address in Phuket from 8. November 1996 to present. I have not accumulated any pension points from Patong and last time there for me was the rescue and clean up operations under and after the Tsunami 2004.

Correctly grumpy the OP do not ask for a retirement destination but he ask for info from people living here. I'm a "people " living here and retired, a property dealer or car dealer living here would probably have another answer to the OP so would my Finnish friend who start the day with a Vodka and always say he feel like living in Paradise.

Of course its a sad comment the place do not deserve a positive or happy comment as the status are now. 15 years backward I would say it was okay standard both on resident and tourists. Hopefully the General can turn it around again but it will take years.

You shall have praise for that you are clever to make propaganda from a place which the Thai Government have huge problems to control anything from crime gangs to Land officials. "Diversity and ease of living" It was easy to live here. Diversity, well the Swede have triple that where he comes from.

My lifestyle, wheels with spokes and running flats.Btw, how did the LPT goes for you this year. I set a new PR and in a great time at my age.

^

The point that I was making is that Phuket offers a choice of lifestyles to suit many/most persons needs. Again, those of us who live here, rarely come into contact with the elements that are perennially criticised in the media and on this and other forums. I also think that everywhere has changed, Phuket certainly, but as has the whole of Thailand and the world. Speaking to fellow expats who have recently visited their home countries, they don't paint a favourable picture of life 'back home' either.

Congratulations on your triathlon success. I only cycle, and occasionally swim. I do some excellent routes around the island, with great scenery, and meeting pleasant people. Probably average around 300km a week, with my longest ride this year being 208km. Just had friends arrive to stay with me for a few weeks, so not ridden for a few days, however my last ride was just under 100km, at an average of 32.5km/hour, and managed to get 13 new Strava segment PR's. More than a little pleased as I broke my collar bone in a fall 7 weeks ago, and at very nearly 62, it took longer than I would have liked to get on the bike again.

My lifestyle, wheels with spokes and running flats.Btw, how did the LPT goes for you this year. I set a new PR and in a great time at my age.

Great news. One day, you'll be the healthiest corpse on the island.......

Nothing against a last one on the podiumbiggrin.png

Edited by Felt 35

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

^

The point that I was making is that Phuket offers a choice of lifestyles to suit many/most persons needs. Again, those of us who live here, rarely come into contact with the elements that are perennially criticised in the media and on this and other forums. I also think that everywhere has changed, Phuket certainly, but as has the whole of Thailand and the world. Speaking to fellow expats who have recently visited their home countries, they don't paint a favourable picture of life 'back home' either.

Congratulations on your triathlon success. I only cycle, and occasionally swim. I do some excellent routes around the island, with great scenery, and meeting pleasant people. Probably average around 300km a week, with my longest ride this year being 208km. Just had friends arrive to stay with me for a few weeks, so not ridden for a few days, however my last ride was just under 100km, at an average of 32.5km/hour, and managed to get 13 new Strava segment PR's. More than a little pleased as I broke my collar bone in a fall 7 weeks ago, and at very nearly 62, it took longer than I would have liked to get on the bike again.

Great to hear that your cycling goes well. 300km a week is a very respectable amount of cycling by anyone.

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remark removed
  • Like 1

Getting back to the OP's request for information...

We've lived in Phuket on and off for the past 8 years, and have been contemplating a move to Hua Hin, but we're now thinking of other areas as well. The reason for looking outside of Phuket is that we'd like to have a couple rai of land, which is really not practical here as land prices are so high.

Many have advised to stay away from Patong, which I can understand, but please be aware that there are also areas of Patong that are quiet and relaxed. We happen to live in a very quiet area, but no more than 2-4 minutes from the beach, shopping mall, restaurants, hospital, etc. All of the conveniences that expats typically desire are within easy reach. The downside is that every square meter of land has been developed and the entire town seems to be sealed in concrete. No parks, green areas, and definitely no sort of civic planning. My wife and I typically go down to Bangla Rd maybe once every 2 months to have a few beers, people-watch, and listen to live bands, so the nightlife isn't really important to us.

I find the west coast beaches in Phuket to be much nicer than those in Hua Hin. Although we live just a couple of minutes from Patong beach, we typically make the 15-20 minute ride to Kata beach, mostly because Kata is much less crowded, and better managed by the local officials.

Living in almost any area of Phuket, you'll most likely come in contact with a lot of tourists, as well as expats. The demographics of tourists and seasonal residents have changed over the last few years, shifting from many Scandinavians, Germans and Australians, to primarily Chinese and Russian/Eastern Europeans.

Prices seem to be higher for food and housing. Noodles and simple Thai food start at about 50 baht, as compared to 30-35 baht upcountry. I've seen very nice 2-3 bedroom houses and villas for rent in Hua Hin in the range of 20-25,000 baht/month. In Phuket, the emphasis is on condos due to an ongoing condo building boom and huge over supply. A nice 2 bedroom condo in any sort of desirable location will start at about 25,000 on a long-term lease, and go up from there. House and villa rentals with a private pool (comparable to the 25,000 baht rental homes in Hua Hin) are considerably more.

As others have mentioned, best to come and get a feel for the area yourself. Rent a motorbike and ride around the island. Get off the main roads, and look around the back roads at the housing situation (if you're more interested in a house/villa as opposed to a condo).

• Like 1

For the OP. I think Russkis have had their travel plans restricted because of all this crap going on in Russia. So perhaps you wont be seeing many of these people around with their 1980s haircuts and fashion sense.

With regards of where to live on the island. If you want cheap and cheapskates then Chalong and Phuket Town is for you. The mom and pop shops are busy with old western grandads drinking long necks of Leo out the front.

Rawaii is a nice area, but if you want somewhere nice to live in the middle is Kata

• Like 1

For the OP. I think Russkis have had their travel plans restricted because of all this crap going on in Russia. So perhaps you wont be seeing many of these people around with their 1980s haircuts and fashion sense.

With regards of where to live on the island. If you want cheap and cheapskates then Chalong and Phuket Town is for you. The mom and pop shops are busy with old western grandads drinking long necks of Leo out the front.

Rawaii is a nice area, but if you want somewhere nice to live in the middle is Kata

If that's you in your avatar you display quite a unique sense of humour in criticizing other people's haircuts and fashion sense!

O.k., well when you're done patting yourself on the back for helping with the Tsunami cleanup, when finished marveling us with your tremendous time for your age in the LBT and you look back on this post, you sure you don't want to get a mod to delete (?) as the first sentence is completely wrong, the second some experience of yours that many of us don't encounter. This is no help to the OP whatsoever.

As far as your drunken Finnish friend, why not be a true friend and help him find something other to do all day than be drunk?

Okay grumpy, it was partying under and after the Tsunami and patting myself on the back was of course for beating my Finnish friend in our annual Lonely pool tournament. Ok with that! I mean would be awful if someone strayed and had a life outside the wolf pack.

Deleting my post, well I don't like lying and cover ups. I'm 100% sure you don't encounter my experiences but when it comes to the suggestion about helping my Finnish friend I'm speechless, He is a Finn and his morning drink goes as milk to the rest of us.smile.png