Booties?

WingNut

I went to Panda Rider today for the first time. Nice looking shop, but a bit out the way in terms of location. Sales people are very helpful too. I tried on some TCX S-Sport Tour boots (photo attached).

Price was 6,400 Baht minus a 10% member discount. So they are nicely within my budget.

Problem I had was sizing. I tried a size 46 and they fit perfectly in the back, but too tight on the sides of the toes and pushed my toes together too much. Not much space in front of my toes either.

I understand when your feet are on the pegs at a 45 degree angle that your toes pull back a bit, but still the sides weren't comfy and I can imagine after a couple hours of riding they would be no fun at all.

They didn't have a size 47 in that model boot for me, but they had a 47 in another similar model. I tired the 47 and they fit perfectly in the front, but I had some extra space in the back and, when I walked around in them, my heels moved up and down in the back a bit. So not ideal either.

They offered to try and order a 47 for me in the S-Sport Tour model, but I assume they might be loose in the back too.

I'm not sure if I should buy a pair of TCX boots at all at this point since sizing doesn't seem quite right for my feet.

I also tried on a pair of Daytona in size 45. I think they were the Roadstar GTX model perhaps, and they fit more naturally to the shape of my foot, but there was something uncomfortable rubbing at the back of my foot on those so I'm not sure they would work for me either. Price was also double the TCX boots.

At this point I'm not sure if I should order a pair of those TCX boots though knowing they will be a bit loose in the back of the heel?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426147927.743177.jpg

Are you looking for day to day riding boots or mostly for touring purposes? For touring, I use Forma

attachicon.gifforma.jpg

so comfortable, I can wear them the whole day long, walk in them even.

About 6-7,000 at Paddock

That you, they definitely look worth considering. But perhaps a bit too high up for me on the shins.

Would save you the hassle of wearing shin guards though.

I usually wear my riding trousers over the boots so it doesn't look so geeky. They also happen to be very water resistant. My biggest problem with shoes is that my feet are rather wide and can't squeeze into narrow boots. These ones are a perfect fit

Good thing about the ROAD STAR GTX is that they are available in 3 different widths, not only different sizes:

stiefelsize.gif

Panda can order them, but i dont know how long it takes doing so. Panda only stocks the M sizes.

Daytona boots are nice. I have the ARROW SPORT GTX with GoreTex and i like them. Even in heavy rain my feets stayed dry (as long as no water gets in from the top). I use them together with soccer shin protectors as they are short boots. This combination is very comfortable. And its enough safety for me on my small bike.

ArrowSportGTX-detail1.jpg

Very interesting about the different sized inner. Didn't know they do something like that. I guess I would need to try them on first still to know what fits me best. I am not sure though exactly which model I tried on. I think it was that model, but not 100% sure. I was just guessing from the web site. Waterproof shouldn't be such a concern for me though. I won't be driving in the rain I don't think. I wish they offered some lower priced models though. I am afraid I am not ready to spend that much on boots. I am still mainly an occasional rider. Maybe I should still consider those TCX boots. They offer good enough protection at a reasonable price. Even if fit isn't perfect they might be OK for my use. Still mulling it over. Haha. Thank you and Gweiloman though for your kind input.

^

But if you ride in rainy season you will automatically ride in the rain. There is no other way if you want to ride. I am very happy to have Goretex boots and good rain gear. Much less thinking about "will it rain now, should i better look for a dry place and stop?". I really dont like riding the rest of the day in wet gear. And if leather boots are totally wet it can take days to get them dry again. Would maybe ruin my weekend. Like this i just stop. put on rain gear and continue the ride. Better than sitting under a bridge for maybe hours hoping the clouds will move away from where i am heading to. I did this several times, no fun for me as i mostly ride alone.

Thanks. I used to ride to Pattaya a few years ago during rainy season at times, but I stopped doing that. Haven't been there in a couple of years in fact. I did get caught in rain once going down there. And I did look for a bridge and parked under it for a little while. Luckily it was only 20 minutes or so that I had to wait. I am too fearful of the dangers of riding in the rain though to ride often in wet weather. I will probably avoid it for the most part.

That TCX boot I am looking at does come in a waterproof model though for a bit more money. Maybe another 500 Baht or so on cost I think.

Get the TCX, if they feel a little big, then you can always put in some inner soles.

Thanks. That is a good point. I assume the innersole wont make the front tighter, only the back?

I think they will fit just right in the front and only a bit big at the heel. I think they even have just heel pads for things like this.

I just noticed though that this model boot is on close-out on Revzilla.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-sportour-boots

I wonder if that means it is a model that TCX is planning to discontinue very soon?

Also, if you look at the photo of the boot on Revzilla and the photo of the book on the Panda site it has a different looking logo on it than the one in the photo I snapped today in the shop. In fact, the whole design of the boot looks completely different. That is strange. See below.

post-170983-0-54777100-1426176145_thumb.

Like the idea of the boots, but must be selective.. should I buy the jacket first...a bit more expensive..

Cheers Up to Panda Riders in a month to check it out.

Edited by Rhys

Like the idea of the boots, but must be selective.. should I buy the jacket first...a bit more expensive..

I'd get the jacket first. You are much more likely to injure your arms/elbows or shoulders in an accident, as they are normally the first parts to hit the ground.

I'd get the jacket first. You are much more likely to injure your arms/elbows or shoulders in an accident, as they are normally the first parts to hit the ground.

Actually, the feet and legs are the most commonly injured areas in motorcycle accidents- according to the Hurt Report:

Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

Actually, the feet and legs are the most commonly injured areas in motorcycle accidents- according to the Hurt Report:

Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

I stand corrected. Would you recommend he get boots before a jacket?

I'd recommend both, but in order of importance, I'd say it's helmet (not due so much to likliehood of injury, but, rather, the potential ramifications of that injury), boots, gloves, jacket, pants, in that order. On a scooter, I'd probably put pants above the jacket due to the prevalemce of lower-extremely road-rash injuries occurring from lower-speed accidents. Your feet will nearly always contact the ground in a get-off, likewise your hands, which is why gloves and boots are so important (and good boots can lower the likelihood of a serious knee injury by dissipating the impact force before it can do damage higher up).

Not really, quite often a near fall or avoidance calls for using you feet to save you.

If either wheel starts to slide to much, you dont want flipflops as the first point of contact !

And they are obviously the closest part of you to the the ground.

But jackets are necessary too

(oh i see others beat me to the punch)

Edited by kaorop