which truck would you pick

rickthailand

The current Vigo is based on a 10 year old platform. While there is no doubting it is a solid performer, it is showing it's age.

I would rate accordingly:

Resale: Toyota Vigo

Interior: New Nissan Navara 4wd (if you haven't seen the interior, you really should)

Exterior: Ford Ranger

Best All Round Performance: Ford Ranger

Best 'Family Car' truck: Tie between Ranger (more space) and Navara (most creature comforts, ergonomics, and liberal use of leather inside).

I am personally waiting for the face-lifted Ranger coming in about 2-3 months. It'll get some nice upgrades to the suspension, front grill etc, and greatly improved interior electronics. The Mazda BT-50 will also be getting a face-lift to remove it's current grin around mid-2015, but I'd still go for the Ranger unless you are a Mazda fan. Handling and interior of the upper-tier Ford's are generally accepted to be nicer.

Toyota will be coming out with an 'all new' Vigo at the end of 2015. Although release date might be early 2016.

• Like 1

I'm looking to replace our Dmax and am keen on either the 3.2 Ford Ranger or Mazda BT50. Though the fiord is undoubtedly a decent looking truck I see them everywhere now. The Mazda do look a bit smiley but the look grows on you. They look much better in white or silver than the other colors IMHO as well.

If it comes down to price, new the top Mazda is over 100K cheaper for basically a very similar machine.

I like the the I5 engine as well.

If me I would wait a little to give the NEW Toyota the once over. smile.png

Hoping the new Toyota is also technical new. The current models have quite old engines, transmission and chassis. But Toyota has still the best resell value. Why not look at a second-hand model from Toyota SURE?

Our family uses a Mazda BT-50, because we a «Mazda Family». The new Nissan looks great and seems technical to be up to date. Isuzu seems to be good, too. Chevrolet has a bad reputation in Thailand.

Ford had a chassis problem with the Ranger (rusting). The Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT-50 shares the same technology with the exception of the frame and the rear suspension (Mazda is softer).

Just a thought. My nephew works for Isuzu and I bought a deisel 4 door truck 8 months ago and no problems. $30,000 with everything and 4 wheel drive.He told us that the only truck made in Japan is the Isuzu truck and that Toyotas were still having QC problems and were made here. He made no money on his sale to us and added lots of extras for free, not that you would expect that. Would probably be comprable to price with Toyota but not exactly sure.

My Vigo 4 door 3.0 D4D Automatic will be 8 years old in July and it has done 283,000 km without a single hick-up.

Toyota builds the strongest pick up, no wonder it's so popular with ISIS, Taliban, and other militias all over the world.

450,000 on our 2004 Dmax 3.0 only needed normal consumables as far as part go.

• Like 1

the Ford Ranger and the Mazda are both built in the same plant, same engine, gearbox ETC, the main difference is the inside and the shell. I have had Fords for years, but engine parts brakes etc I always brought at a Mazda dealer. check it out, In America all Mazda and Fords are trucks are made at flat rocks just south of Detroit. same truck different companies. Plus one is cheaper. Ford has been a partner with Mazda for many years now.

I have a Mitsubishi Triton. just now and I love it has power, easy to drive, easy to service. when the turbo kicks in, look out. I had it five years not a problem. still looks and feels new goes up the mountains with ease, does not slide when braking, brought it when I first came to Thailand, but if I had to buy a new one it would a Ford, Mazda (same truck) or a Mitsubishi. I have done my home work on these, just depends on what you are looking for in style, power, comfort. etc.

Just a thought. My nephew works for Isuzu and I bought a deisel 4 door truck 8 months ago and no problems. $30,000 with everything and 4 wheel drive.He told us that the only truck made in Japan is the Isuzu truck and that Toyotas were still having QC problems and were made here. He made no money on his sale to us and added lots of extras for free, not that you would expect that. Would probably be comprable to price with Toyota but not exactly sure.

Isuzu trucks sold in Thailand are made in Japan according to your nephew?

• Like 2

I recommend you go for a test drive and then decide yourself. Personally I'd choose either the Toyota or Isuzu Pick up. But why not have a look at some others as well. And as Transam suggested, you may want to wait another 2 months or so for the new Toyota pick up to be launched.

The Toyota is famous for reliability, but way too boring.

The Ford Ranger is very nice looking, but a bit too expensive compared to the competition.

And if you want to add roof rails to your new Ranger you have to buy a whole dress-up kit

(which includes "upgraded"grill and non-functional fiberglass roll-bar) for 100,000 baht.

If you want to add roof rails to your D-Max the cost is well under 10,000 baht.

Also, the new Mitsubishi Triton was just released. A lot more for the money and well worth

considering.

Isuzu trucks sold in Thailand are made in Japan according to your nephew?

And of course they are not. Isuzu and Chevy made side by side sharing many same parts.

I can only tell you what my nephew told me and that the Isizu truck I bought was not made in Thailand but Japan . We had to wait 3 months to get it. he has worked for them for 3 years now. So maybe 2fishin2 is more of anexpert than my nephew. I didn't watch the truck made. Sorry but there is no reason for my nephew to lie to me.

So I called my nephew. As best I can understand is that all of Isuzuz parts are made in Japan and esembled here and he is not sure if Toyota and others make everything they put in their cars in Japan, He also claims that Toyota is having more serious QC problems since the floodings several years ago. but again I have no facts to back that up. So perhaps he is just so brainwashed that he feels his trucks are the best without all the facts and perhaps he is right. Can never be sure except by some rating agency here in Thailand which to my knowledge does not exist. But 2fishin2 is correct that they arenot made in japan as I had thought had been explained to me.

Been looking at this myself as I'm after a new truck, been to many auctions just to have a look and so that I could talk with as many mechanics/people in the trade as possible. They all said stay away from fords and the majority of people recommended Toyota, I actually wanted a Ford but think I'm swaying towards a Toyota now.

• Like 2