What to pack for Thailand

tribalfusion001

I was browsing on Google+ the other day and stumbled on this blog about packing for Thailand and southeast Asia. It's written by a lady who is backpacker, some of the things on her list, really!!! Some of the items were, wet wipes, why? Tampons, because they are to hard to find in Asia, really, boots, watsons or 7/11 maybe! Deodorant, same as before, loads of places sell them. Now I know why backpackers have such huge bags, it's all the crap they put in them. The obvious missing item was a travel adapter, you do need a travel adapter if come from the UK!

??

Taking flip-flops to Thailand? Zillions available.

Mosquito spray (DEET)? Tons available.

Tiger balm?????!!!!! Is she serious. This country exists on Tiger balm cheesy.gif

Too lazy to go through each item in the list.

Some I simply don't understand, too feminine tongue.png

Your list seems to point to the right direction.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

??

Tiger balm?????!!!!! Is she serious. This country exists on Tiger balm cheesy.gif

She is serious, I don't know why, novice traveller syndrome I think!

You are right, far too feminine. You should write for everyone, not just your gender if you are blogger.

The mosquito spray and tiger balm is what called me into action, are you serious in se Asia???

I didn't comment on packing list, I'm 700,000 places above her on rankings lol

The obvious missing item was a travel adapter, you do need a travel adapter if come from the UK!

You know you can buy those here too, right?

You're missing the point there. The adapter you can buy in Thailand is made to adapt Thai plugs to other countries electrical outlets.

To clarify, here's a pix of a British 3-pin plug: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/BritishPlugforWikipedia.jpg

And here's the equivalent Thai version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Thai_TIS_166-2549_mains_plug.jpg

As you can see, the spacing between the pins is entirely different.

The obvious missing item was a travel adapter, you do need a travel adapter if come from the UK!

You know you can buy those here too, right?

You're missing the point there. The adapter you can buy in Thailand is made to adapt Thai plugs to other countries electrical outlets.

To clarify, here's a pix of a British 3-pin plug: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/BritishPlugforWikipedia.jpg

And here's the equivalent Thai version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Thai_TIS_166-2549_mains_plug.jpg

As you can see, the spacing between the pins is entirely different.

I meant the one for British plugs. Commonly available around these parts.

Thanks for the photo of a British plug, though. I've only been using them my whole life, after all...

• Like 1

Money in.

Ticket out.

Bring nothing else.

I travel with one carryon, and it is not one of those big backpacks that look suitable for a Mount Everest summit. It is one that the Travel Guy Rick Steves markets. I got to tell you, that thing has held up well and I have had it 12 years now. It is all you need. Undies, T-shirts and a few polo type shirts with collars. Bathing suit. Pack two pairs of shorts. Sun Hat. Small toilet kit.. Don't bring any socks. Don't wear them over there. The one pair on my feet for the plane ride is more than enough. I wear my walking shoes, TEVA things so no need to pack those. I wear a very lightweight wind breaker on the plane ride. That does come in handy when going to the ice box Thai movies. I travel with pants for the long plane flight and one pair is all I have needed once I got to Thailand and even that was rare when long pants were needed.

One year I brought my fold up collapsible travel umbrella and that is 50/50 depending on the season I travel. The bag fits in the overhead. One year when I flew back to the USA connecting through Dallas. I got pulled aside for a bag search. Fine. They were quite upset that I only had one bag for what was a 45 day trip. I said they do have laundries over there and the ladies do a fine job for a couple of dollars. I don't need to bring 30 shirts for 30 days!

• Like 1

Probably going of on a tangent here but I fill my bag with cheese, vitamins, cotton socks for the kids , size 14 footwear , Jägermeister for me( my current favourite that appears unobtainable in BKK), cherries or other cold season fruits, often avocardos good Honey, herbal teas and so on. I have clothes and everything else I need in BKK so it is just the quality luxuries I bring in that are expensive or hard to obtain .

• Like 2

??

Have a read of a good travel guide.

You'll get a load of history, travel tips, immunisation and other shots you need to have some weeks before departure.

Lonely Planet is one of my favourites.

packing to carry on your back for 3 weeks ?

or packing to put in your suitcase , drag to your hotel and leave there for a week and another hotel for the 2nd week ?

I am not going to backpack so I will leave that for others !

If you are flying from the USA you get 1 or 2 bags of 44lb -20kg , I say bring EVERYTHING you can buy at 99c store,

only bring clothes you would not mind leaving if you buy too much in Thailand...... ,

bring 2 pair of shoes that you have worn and walked many miles in ,

Bring small gifts to hand to the kids , bring candy you like (mints) , bring powered flavoring for water bottles (Hawaiian Punch or Lemonade)

Plan on leaving ALL the 99c store stuff in Thailand and bring back other stuff..... (Mama noodles ! )

or bring NOTHING and learn where Big C or Tesco is , how expensive stuff is compared to 99c store , wonder what you just bought , buy salt flavored toothpaste , what you think is detergent and is really toilet cleaner :) etc ohh the fun of shopping in a strange country when you would rather be doing anything else.......

You guessed it , my suitcases are always overweight , the cleaning ladies at the hotel like the stuff I bring them, the kids like the toys , My friends workers like the T shirts they cannot read !

Best of all, do it with a smile biggrin.png

Money in.

Ticket out.

Bring nothing else.

I travel with one carryon, and it is not one of those big backpacks that look suitable for a Mount Everest summit. It is one that the Travel Guy Rick Steves markets. I got to tell you, that thing has held up well and I have had it 12 years now. It is all you need. Undies, T-shirts and a few polo type shirts with collars. Bathing suit. Pack two pairs of shorts. Sun Hat. Small toilet kit.. Don't bring any socks. Don't wear them over there. The one pair on my feet for the plane ride is more than enough. I wear my walking shoes, TEVA things so no need to pack those. I wear a very lightweight wind breaker on the plane ride. That does come in handy when going to the ice box Thai movies. I travel with pants for the long plane flight and one pair is all I have needed once I got to Thailand and even that was rare when long pants were needed.

One year I brought my fold up collapsible travel umbrella and that is 50/50 depending on the season I travel. The bag fits in the overhead. One year when I flew back to the USA connecting through Dallas. I got pulled aside for a bag search. Fine. They were quite upset that I only had one bag for what was a 45 day trip. I said they do have laundries over there and the ladies do a fine job for a couple of dollars. I don't need to bring 30 shirts for 30 days!

We are of the same ilk... Being a charter member of the IBRT (International Brotherhood of Road Trash) and at times traveling 280 days a year, I got it down to a science... I could stay away from home indefinitely with only packing a standard-size backpack and one roller bag that fits in an overhead... The backpack was mostly for electronics, one change of clothes and my shaving kit, while everything else went in the roller bag... Check NO baggage...

As far as what is needed to pack for a holiday in Thailand, I go with money, passport and ticket out... Everything else can be replaced cheaply...

• Like 1

don't bring anything you can't afford to lose

( like those fools with the gold chains, and expensive watchers, cameras, ect)

So you are saying I should not bring my camera when I travel? Or my laptop?

Get real.

I would not bring a laptop unless you are not going to really move around very much or you have special apps or business stuff. Sure most hotels have wifi and you may have a need to use your laptop. I don't like risking the TSA doing something stupid, or getting it stolen, or breaking it. I use the local internet café (30 baht/hour) for my routine email check ins. That and my Thai cell phone is enough connectivity for 99% of what I need. It is not hard to find an internet café with a printer and a scanner in case you need to download some form and email or fax it. Don't go to Thailand and putz on your laptop too much especially if a holiday. Get out and do or see something. I bring my small digital camera and bring that. I charge the heck out of the batteries before I travel. Remember Thailand is not 120 VAC. Don't bring any jewelry. I wear my standard K-mart $8 USD watch that keeps the grab and snatch eyes pretty much not looking at me very long. Fine. I don't mind being a lesser target

• Like 1

What I do miss is being able to travel with my leatherman mutli-purpose tool. As a boy scout and firmly believing in the motto "be prepared", I bought that thing for trips exactly like this. Small pliers, various screw drives, small file, awl, knife can come in handy. Unfortunately 911 and subsequent airline security policies make it difficult to impossible to bring that as a carry on.

What I do miss is being able to travel with my leatherman mutli-purpose tool. As a boy scout and firmly believing in the motto "be prepared", I bought that thing for trips exactly like this. Small pliers, various screw drives, small file, awl, knife can come in handy. Unfortunately 911 and subsequent airline security policies make it difficult to impossible to bring that as a carry on.

I bought one at a border market here several years ago. While in Vietnam. Never was found in my luggage! LOL

Used it to open a bottle of wine and the screw just broke in two. Used the blade to try and pry something open...not much force...and it snapped. Left it in Hanoi. 55555

Good electronics, quality razors, wine, cheese, etc.. You know, stuff that's expensive to buy in Thailand.

Stuff like sunscreen and regular supplements are a commodity in Thailand.

Not really thread related, but, scanning all your important docs and have it ready in your email just in case.

• Like 1

Condoms are available locally. Even the large size may be a touch tight though.

Seriously, I'm with Friendly Stranger, have copies of all important docs on computer, including photo page of your passport, accessible through webmail if you aren't taking a computer, important contact numbers for loss of credit cards, next of kin contact. I also have hard copies, in each piece of baggage.

I've never needed any of the above, but if I ever do, I'll have it all.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

When I stayed in Thailand for 3 months last year, I took my laptop, DJ mixer, Creative pc speakers, headphones and 1TB external hard drive. So my list was not quite accurate, but I did not take any flip flops or mosquito spray with me lol

Feel free to leave a comment on my blog if you wish...