How many times can you apply for 60-day Tourist visa per year?

Hi all,

I would just like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me out on my questions so far, it is much appreciated. I was wondering if there's a limit to the amount of times one can get the 60-day Tourist visa per year?

Due to the nature of my travels, I have to enter/exit Thailand at least once or twice every month. This means that even though the Tourist visa technically gives me 60-days, I would never actually stay that long, and I would have to constantly reapply for a Tourist visa at least every 3 or 4 months. Is this ok? Or would the consulate refuse to give me a Tourist visa if I applied that often?

Thank you!!

Some years ago, Thaivisa members reported seeing this notice displayed in the Thai consulates of Helsinki and Vientiane:

Tourist%2520visa%2520warning%2520announc

The gist of it is that when a visa applicant has had many back-to-back tourist visas, the consulate may refuse a new visa for the reason that the applicant is suspected of working illegally in Thailand.

There have also been a few posts indicating that some consulates in neighbouring countries of Thailand refused a new tourist visa even when the previous ones were not back.

Usually, before refusing a tourist visa outright, a consulate will give a last visa, accompanied by a warning stamp something like this:

Tourist%25202%2520entries%2520Vientiane%

• Like 2

Maybe a mod can confirm but you're allowed to do multiple back to back 30 day visa exemptions if you clearly fit the profile of a tourist by not staying the full 30 days. I.e. you fly in without a visa, get given 30 days visa-free, over and over, and sometimes you're in Thailand 17 days, sometimes 24, and so on.

That's what O&G or FIFO workers on a 28 day rotation do, and from reading other threads there are still people doing this without being hassled after the crackdown on back to back visa exemption abuse. Because they're not abusing it as a means to work in Thailand.

If you're leaving 1-2 times a month, every month, and can show proof of funds / flight itineraries if asked, then that might be a better option.

There is no limit on how many tourist visas you can get. Some embassies and consulates set there own limit on how many you can get from them. For example Vientiane count the ones you get back to back from them and have a limit of 3 but with financial and address proof you can get more.

You should be able to do most of your trips by getting visa exempt entries if you are entering by air and spending time outside the country between trips. Just always be able to show financial proof. Having the equivalent of 20k bath in cash with you would be good to have with you in case you a pulled aside for questioning.

• Like 2

There is no limit on how many tourist visas you can get. Some embassies and consulates set there own limit on how many you can get from them. For example Vientiane count the ones you get back to back from them and have a limit of 3 but with financial and address proof you can get more.

You should be able to do most of your trips by getting visa exempt entries if you are entering by air and spending time outside the country between trips. Just always be able to show financial proof. Having the equivalent of 20k bath in cash with you would be good to have with you in case you a pulled aside for questioning.

20k? I have asked this question on this forum before and been assured you need to have 10k? Has this recently changed.

Thank you all for your advice! Yes, I would generally be spending (roughly) 3 weeks per month in Thailand, and the remaining week or so in other places around Asia and/or USA (I'm a US Citizen). If I do this consistently for a year just using the 30-day Visa Exemption, I should have no problems, right? Since I'd be away from Thailand for at least a week before entering again each time.

I realize nothing is ever certain, but just wanted to make sure my chances were good. I would make sure to have 20k baht on me as well and bank statements showing that I have sufficient funds.

Thank you all for your advice! Yes, I would generally be spending (roughly) 3 weeks per month in Thailand, and the remaining week or so in other places around Asia and/or USA (I'm a US Citizen). If I do this consistently for a year just using the 30-day Visa Exemption, I should have no problems, right? Since I'd be away from Thailand for at least a week before entering again each time.

I realize nothing is ever certain, but just wanted to make sure my chances were good. I would make sure to have 20k baht on me as well and bank statements showing that I have sufficient funds.

Thai immigration likely won't be a problem upon your entry, however the airline carrier may refuse you boarding if you cannot show onward travel. As long as you have flights booked for departing Thailand before the 30 days then you should be fine.

It depends on the carrier and I've been declined boarding once with Emirates, I've been asked to show a visa or onward travel several times with Qantas (I was holding a tourist visa at the times though) and just this month Thai Air in Heathrow asked me for a visa and said that if I didn't have one they would have denied me boarding. I was travelling with my Thai wife and our 2 kids and even with my 60 day tourist visa he had to check with his supervisor to see if I would be allowed to travel.

Can anyone tell me what the definition of tourists is in the applications for visas if you are coming to Thailand not to work but just to visit family and friends can this be the definition or do you have to live like on holiday in a hotel etc what's the differences between visitors and tourists

Can anyone tell me what the definition of tourists is in the applications for visas if you are coming to Thailand not to work but just to visit family and friends can this be the definition or do you have to live like on holiday in a hotel etc what's the differences between visitors and tourists

You can be a tourist and visit family and friends. Their is no real difference between visitors and tourists. It is just that Thailand calls the visa a tourist visa instead of a visitors visa like some countries do.

If you were visiting a Thai family member or a foreign parent you could get a non immigrant O visa to visit them.

• Like 2

So Joe. Lets say for example you received 2 tourist visas from Vientiane and went and got a 3rd from another country could you go back on your 4th to Vientiane and they would consider it as your 1st from them.

Since they look at back to back visas from them getting a visa from another location would break the chain of visas.

Not sure I would call it the 1st visa but it would start a new chain of visas.

• Like 1

Hi Ubonjoe,

In your post #10, you say that one can get a Non-Immigrant O visa if we want to visit a family member.

My dad is retired in Thailand, so could I get a Non-Immigrant O visa ? And what are the requirements ?

Is it for 90 days ? and then I can extend it inside Thailand for 1 year, correct ?

If yes, then can I do this for as long as my dad is retired ? or is there a limit ?

Thanks a lot.

In your post #10, you say that one can get a Non-Immigrant O visa if we want to visit a family member.

My dad is retired in Thailand, so could I get a Non-Immigrant O visa ? And what are the requirements ?

Is it for 90 days ? and then I can extend it inside Thailand for 1 year, correct ?

If yes, then can I do this for as long as my dad is retired ? or is there a limit ?

Ubonjoe said a Thai family member, which your father is not. One needs to be 20 or younger and living with him to qualify for visa and extensions of stay.

Edited by paz

yes i guess that makes sense, but he said "foreign parent", so I thought maybe there was an option that allows family members to stay longer than a regular tourist visa...

Nothing prevents the consulate from issuing you the non-imm visa anyway, although I doubt. All you have to do is to ask. But for the extension, you would have to be 20 or younger, that's in writing.

yes i guess that makes sense, but he said "foreign parent", so I thought maybe there was an option that allows family members to stay longer than a regular tourist visa...

It is possible to get a non-o visa for visiting a non Thai family member. You can get it for visiting a parent or a child that is on an extension of stay here. Some embassies or consulates will even issue a multiple entry non-o.

But you cannot get an extension of stay unless you are 20 years old or younger. If a parent with a child on extensions you can get an extension if your are 50 or over.

So Joe. Lets say for example you received 2 tourist visas from Vientiane and went and got a 3rd from another country could you go back on your 4th to Vientiane and they would consider it as your 1st from them.

Since they look at back to back visas from them getting a visa from another location would break the chain of visas.

Not sure I would call it the 1st visa but it would start a new chain of visas.

Having been in said situation and having failed to get situation resolved. It's almost certain no embassy or consulate will not look at the previous two from Vientiane and come up with the same answer, you are not a 'tourist' under their definition of tourist and will insist you obtain the correct visa for your situation.

Unfortunately for some folk, there is no correct visa, as they don't fit any category. Over 50, retired, married to Thai, Thai family etc.

BTW I managed 6 back to back before I was presumed to be working by the consulate staff and red lined.

Having been in said situation and having failed to get situation resolved. It's almost certain no embassy or consulate will not look at the previous two from Vientiane and come up with the same answer, you are not a 'tourist' under their definition of tourist and will insist you obtain the correct visa for your situation.

Unfortunately for some folk, there is no correct visa, as they don't fit any category. Over 50, retired, married to Thai, Thai family etc.

BTW I managed 6 back to back before I was presumed to be working by the consulate staff and red lined.

In these cases just obtain a new passport. The consulates do not keep records. When applying bring proof of funds remitted from abroad to prove one is not working.

ubonjoe makes matters clear yet again. Thank you kindly—again.

Edited by tookwan cottage

• 4 years later...
On 2/26/2015 at 6:52 AM, ubonjoe said:

Wondering if somebody can give me an update on this as of 2019.  I currently have a "retirement extension" that will expire end of September.  I want to stay in Thailand one more year but no longer want to do it with the retirement visa.  I am considering either an ED visa which I know I can get for sure, but am also considering the idea of of back to back 60 day tourist visas (or even a METV from my home country) since the Ed visa would prevent me from traveling away from Chinag Mai (class attendance requirements).

So, what are the chances (in 2019-2020) that I can get four (4) back-to-back visas for the year by visiting embassies in adjoining countries?  If four is unlikely, how long do I have to be outside of the Kingdom before I can get another visa?

What about traveling back to my home country to get a new 6 month METV, extending it to 9 months, and then after it expires, getting one 60 day tourist visa that I can extend to 90 days?

Also, what effect will there be applying for a tourist visa when I have already been granted a retirement visa; will that cause an issue?  

Sorry to ask such an in-depth question and I know a lot of this depends on the particular embassy/consulate, but info on Google is very sketchy and dated.  Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

So, what are the chances (in 2019-2020) that I can get four (4) back-to-back visas for the year by visiting embassies in adjoining countries?  If four is unlikely, how long do I have to be outside of the Kingdom before I can get another visa?

You could get 4 without a problem. Three in Vientiane should not be a problem but get the 3rd one after you one after getting a visa somewhere else such as Savannakhet.

12 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

What about traveling back to my home country to get a new 6 month METV, extending it to 9 months, and then after it expires, getting one 60 day tourist visa that I can extend to 90 days?

That would be a good plan. No problem to get a single entry tourist visa after the METV.

13 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

Also, what effect will there be applying for a tourist visa when I have already been granted a retirement visa; will that cause an issue?  

No problem to get a tourist visa after being on extensions based upon retirement.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get 4 without a problem. Three in Vientiane should not be a problem but get the 3rd one after you one after getting a visa somewhere else such as Savannakhet.

That would be a good plan. No problem to get a single entry tourist visa after the METV.

No problem to get a tourist visa after being on extensions based upon retirement.

Thanks!  You seem to be the go-to guy for straight, concise answers!  Most appreciated.

Warning to those who believe you can pop in and out with just visa exemptions.

I now live in the States and thought I could visit Thailand several times a year for about 2 months a time. I didn’t think of a visa as I wouldn’t stay in Thailand for the full 30 days. I planned to use Thailand as a base and make side trips to SEA countries lasting from a week to over 2 weeks.

On my first trip to Thailand (last year), I had to make 2 side trips due to a miscalculation. On my second trip (this year), I made a side trip to Indonesia for about 2 weeks and was initially denied entry when I came back to Bangkok.

They didn’t suspect working since I’m old enough to use the priority lane.

But they said I wasn’t a “tourist,” so I need a visa. They told me to go back and get a visa, then I could enter Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 10years said:

I now live in the States and thought I could visit Thailand several times a year for about 2 months a time. I didn’t think of a visa as I wouldn’t stay in Thailand for the full 30 days. I planned to use Thailand as a base and make side trips to SEA countries lasting from a week to over 2 weeks.

Use Cambodia (1 year ME VISA $300) or the Philippines (no VISA required) as a base.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

Just one more question, if you don't mind. 

My understanding of a Single-Entry Tourist Visa (which is what I would be seeking, to replace my "retirement extension" when it expires Sep 30) is that "...Single-Entry Tourist Visa is valid for entering Thailand once within 3 months from the date of application.

I am planning a leisure trip to Bali (where there is a Thai Consulate) next month, and it would be nice to get the SETV out of the way.  I wonder if I can do this:

1. Get a re-entry permit for my retirement extension.
  2. Travel to Bali, and apply for SETV (but not have it de-activate my retirement extension.
  3. Return to Thailand under my retirement Extension, and have it remain in effect until its' expiration, when I would want the SETV to go into effect.

I'm just not sure if getting the SETV stamped in my passport would de-activate my "retirement visa" or cause confusion with IMM officials at the airport when I return to Thailand (even though I would have the re-entry permit for the retirement visa.) 

And then the question would be "how would I activate the SETV once my retirement extension expires.  Could I do this locally at Chiang Mai IMM office, or would I have to fly out and re-enter to activate it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by CangguSurfer

19 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:
  • 1. Get a re-entry permit for my retirement extension.
  • 2. Travel to Bali, and apply for SETV (but not have it de-activate my retirement extension.
  • 3. Return to Thailand under my retirement Extension, and have it remain in effect until its' expiration, when I would want the SETV to go into effect.

1. Yes

2. Possible.

3. That would depend upon the officer when you enter the country. 

I'm just not sure if getting the SETV stamped in my passport would de-activate my "retirement visa" or cause confusion with IMM officials at the airport when I return to Thailand (even though I would have the re-entry permit for the retirement visa.) 

Your extension would still be valid if you got a tourist visa.

The officer when enter the country may ask what you want to use when you enter the country. Be sure and put the re-entry permit number on the TM6 arrival card. The officer might want to use the tourist visa if the 60 days it allows is longer than what you would get from the re-entry permit.

And then the question would be "how would I activate the SETV once my retirement extension expires.  Could I do this locally at Chiang Mai IMM office, or would I have to fly out and re-enter to activate it?

You would have to leave and re-enter the country to use the visa. You could do a border hop at Mae Sai to use the visa.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes

2. Possible.

3. That would depend upon the officer when you enter the country. 

Your extension would still be valid if you got a tourist visa.

The officer when enter the country may ask what you want to use when you enter the country. Be sure and put the re-entry permit number on the TM6 arrival card. The officer might want to use the tourist visa if the 60 days it allows is longer than what you would get from the re-entry permit.

You would have to leave and re-enter the country to use the visa. You could do a border hop at Mae Sai to use the visa.

Thanks again! ????