Taken at Tuk Com

CapGary

I don't shop at TukCom because its a firetrap. What are the chances of a fire breaking out in there with all that electronic equipment?

The management has rented the areas designated for escaping in an emergency. The entrance lobby and hallways 80% blocked by vendor tables and merchandise.

Barely one person can squeeze past the front door. Bodies will be piled high if there ever is a fire in there.

Greedy bastards putting all the staff and customers at extreme risk.

I wonder if the fire prevention officer at the fire station ever heard of Santika and the 60 or more charred bodies piled up?

• Like 2

Sounds par for the course; one coward Thai only slapped him because there was several of them to back him up. Just sad.

I don't know. If a foreigner is abusive and loud in a public place doesn't he deserve a slap or two? He may have had a beef with the owner of the phone stall, but why should that involve everyone else in earshot? That is no way to behave no matter what his problem.

He most certainly did not deserve a slap. In fact I would suggest that would be called assault and in a normal country the offender would be hauled before a court to answer for his cowardly actions.

As for raising his voice in a backward and violent country with little consumer protections I agree he should have known better.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

I don't shop at TukCom because its a firetrap. What are the chances of a fire breaking out in there with all that electronic equipment?

The management has rented the areas designated for escaping in an emergency. The entrance lobby and hallways 80% blocked by vendor tables and merchandise.

Barely one person can squeeze past the front door. Bodies will be piled high if there ever is a fire in there.

Greedy bastards putting all the staff and customers at extreme risk.

I wonder if the fire prevention officer at the fire station ever heard of Santika and the 60 or more charred bodies piled up?

So true. Someone should inform the authorities about this deathtrap, but with authorities I of course don't mean the laughing bunch at city hall.

If these sellers are going to do business in a shop that is open for all the see and hear what is going on, then they shouldn't express surprise or outrage when the whole world can see and hear unhappy customers

And guess what, most farangs don't buy into this mai pen rai crap and if you, as a Thai, want to do business with us, then don't expect us to act as meek little sheep like your Thai brethren

• Like 2

While the story may well be true , it may well also be true that this gentleman tried to scam the shop.

There is no shortage of quality expats and tourists around trying to pull scams.

Shops know their phones because they attach warranty stickers.

thats it konying blame the victim thai's always blame the victim thats why these scum bags get away with everything

• Like 2

Bought heaps of phones there. Never had a problem. They would be stupid to sell a fake as a original, it would give the whole place a bad name and there would be to many angry customers coming back. As for accessories most are fake which is why they are so cheap.

Bought heaps of phones there. Never had a problem. They would be stupid to sell a fake as a original, it would give the whole place a bad name and there would be to many angry customers coming back. As for accessories most are fake which is why they are so cheap.

Stupid? Probably. But they do sell lots of fake phones there. Mostly telling customers that's what they are, but not always.

Buyer beware.

While the story may well be true , it may well also be true that this gentleman tried to scam the shop.

There is no shortage of quality expats and tourists around trying to pull scams.

Shops know their phones because they attach warranty stickers.

thats it konying blame the victim thai's always blame the victim thats why these scum bags get away with everything

I think "konying" is a Thai, as he / she always blames the victim.

Sounds par for the course; one coward Thai only slapped him because there was several of them to back him up. Just sad.

I don't know. If a foreigner is abusive and loud in a public place doesn't he deserve a slap or two? He may have had a beef with the owner of the phone stall, but why should that involve everyone else in earshot? That is no way to behave no matter what his problem.

I understand the farang did not start with a loud angry voice. The clerks were not listening to him and hoping the problem (him) would go away or hoping he would have "Thainess" and just do the "Y" , smile, and then walk away not saying more. He raised his voice and YES, it is considered rude in Thailand but because Thais don't disagree and are afraid to ask questions or complain (especially to the one that is older than him/her) the clerks were not trained in customer service with Westerners. ( of course they are certainly eager to sell their products to us). Shops that rip of their customers should be embarrassed when there is a shouting customer. That is part of Thailand's problem in making improvements in anything, no one will dare "complain" or point out how something could be better.

Been buying phones there for 11 years never got burnt . It is really obvious it you are buying a I pad 2 or a Samsung note 3 for 6000 baht you know it is a copy.

the only copy I bought from there ever I was told that the Nokia was a Dtel & it even started with a dtel logo not a great phone but for 450 baht I wasn't expecting more than an emergency back up phone. Besides hello it is the age of the web. you can actually go online & run the manufacturers numbers & that lts you know if they made it or its a copy. Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it is to cheap you know its not real, that should not require a degree in engineering to figure out.They have always been square with me & tell me up front if it is a copy at tuc com . But if I am to buy a nice phone I always go online to the manufacturer & check the serial number. Real hard to get burned & it only takes coming back for the purchase later. Now tools are a different story Most are from China & usually fail the online check as the serials numbers rarely match the production runs.

But you know thee saying if it sounds to good to be true it is. If you bought it. It is a horse on you. Even at central I check the companies serials numbers to see if they even match the equipment. I gave up on tools they are all made in China here. & never have real production serial numbers that match England U.S. Australia Germany or anywhere else. Cameras good luck on that one!

There are a handful of decent shops in TukCom, notably JIB.

For the rest, especially the stalls, it's mostly a den of complete thieves and liars such as one would find running jet-ski scams on Beach Road.

It comes as little surprise to me that they are also violent.

Yes, come to mention it there are a number of franchise stores in Tukcom, so buying there is as good as from any other branch eg. JIB, Banana IT, Hardware House and the big one IT City (top floor)... not to mention the 2 Apple Stores on the ground floor and Power Buy one floor up.

This shops you can trust. May be also to mention Wattana Computer. A small branch of Wattana Pattaya Klang.

• 3 years later...

Sometimes you have to use the same methods that the Thais use to extract "justice". A friend of mine paid a nominal fee to a couple of toughs and the offending party was reported to have had massive hospital expenses. One of the reasons that farangs are not respected here is that they fail to use the methods that get results. They naively appeal to "reason" and "fairness" and these qualities are considered weak and stupid by most Thais. Power and disproportionate violence are languages that are very well understood here.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2015 at 6:20 AM, joesanunu said:

didnt that happen already? the place was empty for many years afterwards before being rebuilt as tukcom. not sure what it was before. I could be wrong.

as far as buying stuff like memory cards, prices are about the same at central and you dont have to memorize the stall you got it at and worry if they will refund you

Edited by phycokiller
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As in all things in Thailand for Farangs, remember "Buyer Beware".  Know what you are buying and from whom you are buying it from. If the price is just "too good to be true", it's probably NOT true, not original brands, and is a copy. That said, whenever I buy USB flash drives or other memory devices, I like to have them plugged into their laptop to show me exactly how much memory they really have. In the past I've bought some without checking, but usually from a friends sisters shop. When I did have a problem with a 16GB Micro card only having 1GB memory I took it back to her immediately. She checked it out on her laptop and sure enough, it was NOT as it should be. She has now stopped buying those products from that supplier. She wants to protect her customers and limit her liability. She's concerned about her reputation. Most shops in TukCom think this same way, but remember, they also are constantly faced with scammers and cheats trying to screw them over by returning used items as new, etc.....  Again:  BUYER BEWARE.

Edited by ehs818
  • Like 1