Austrian FM defends ban on foreign funding of mosques, imams

webfact

Austrian FM defends ban on foreign funding of mosques, imams

BERLIN (AP) — Austria's foreign minister is defending his country's revisions to a century-old law on Islam, which increase many protections for Muslims but also ban foreign funding for mosques and imams.

Sebastian Kurz told Germany's Bild newspaper Thursday that lawmakers didn't want foreign countries exerting political influence.

He says "I'd think it would also be strange if the German chancellor were to send pastors to us who were employees of the German government."

The measure passed Wednesday updates a 1912 law that made Islam an official religion in Austria.

Among other measures, the Austria Press Agency reports that the law enshrines the right for Muslims to have their own chaplains in the military, courts, hospitals and elsewhere; have male children circumcised; and practice the ritual halal slaughter of animals for food.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-26

So long as all religions are treated the same in Australia, no problem. Taxing all religions, the Catholic church is big business in Australia, but are they paying enough tax? And getting rid of the 'Lords Prayer' in parliament should be a priority. There are plenty of churches in Canberra where the more zealous ideologues in government can go and recite the 'LP' in peace. Reciting the 'LP' in parliament sounds a tad hypocritical while kids are locked up in detention.

• Like 1

It all sounds legit. And as someone mentioned regarding Thailand, perhaps other countries should look at imposing the same ban....including the Austria that has an extra "a" and an "l" and kangaroos.

I was empresses with the quote from King Mukut (if I understood correctly). The paraphrase goes something along the line of telling the European powers that Thailand welcomed the medicine, the technology but as to religion, the King said thank you but we have our own surperstitions. The Kings of Thailand had early set the stage for welcoming any faith but not having religion dictated. And, yes, as a Buddhist, I do recognize I am living in a basically Buddhist country.

It all sounds legit. And as someone mentioned regarding Thailand, perhaps other countries should look at imposing the same ban....including the Austria that has an extra "a" and an "l" and kangaroos.

I was empresses with the quote from King Mukut (if I understood correctly). The paraphrase goes something along the line of telling the European powers that Thailand welcomed the medicine, the technology but as to religion, the King said thank you but we have our own surperstitions. The Kings of Thailand had early set the stage for welcoming any faith but not having religion dictated. And, yes, as a Buddhist, I do recognize I am living in a basically Buddhist country.

Thank goodness...can you imagine the hash-up if Thais as a nation took up Christianity? Wats with crosses atop them and blaring out organ music, monks crossing themself and adding Hail Mary to their morning food run blessings, trees with ribbons and crucifices tied around them, Chinese new year celebrated with pigs heads, crackers and communion wine, portraits of the Madonna with incense sticks and food offerings and a statue of Ganesh placed in front......

"The measure passed Wednesday updates a 1912 law that made Islam an official religion in Austria."

I think, we Austrians have forgotten some laws from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire as also

the mostly Muslim Bosnien Herzogowina belonged to our -One Country-many Nations building.

As did for short also the Muslim - Sanjak of Novi Pazar, a province of the Ottoman Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-Hungary

Small Austria was at that time,

"Austria-Hungary was a multinational realm and one of the world's great powers. Austria-Hungary was geographically the second-largest country in Europe after the Russian Empire, at 621,538 km2 (239,977 sq mi),[5] and the third-most populous (after Russia and the German Empire). The Empire built up the fourth-largest machine building industry of the world, after the United States, Germany, and Britain.

Thank goodness...can you imagine the hash-up if Thais as a nation took up Christianity? Wats with crosses atop them and blaring out organ music, monks crossing themself and adding Hail Mary to their morning food run blessings, trees with ribbons and crucifices tied around them, Chinese new year celebrated with pigs heads, crackers and communion wine, portraits of the Madonna with incense sticks and food offerings and a statue of Ganesh placed in front......

'Never miss an opportunity, eh? So lame.