New requirements for Extension of Stay - Report

Hello,

I just went to Chaeng Wattana today, February 27, 2015, to renew my extension of stay stamp under Non-O Imm Thai wife (3rd time) and just wanted to write a brief report that could be useful for fellow members renewing their 1 year stay.

I came “supposedly” prepared, as I had all the required documents that current rules ask plus 3 copies of everything just in case, which included the Acknowledgment of Condition of Stay (but excluded a form that my spouse had to fill out named “Statement” #3 and some title in thai).

However, I’ll have come back next Monday for three reasons. First, I have to give my signed landlord tabian ban, along with the lease agreement I already showed. Second, the immigration officer wants a statement from my landlord stipulating the reason why dates are amended by hand in the lease agreement (reason being that she just copied the previous lease agreement and just stroke through the old dates and wrote new dates). Third (and it’s not a news for me but didn’t expect the officer to say anything as the previous years), it’s now required to provide photos with spouse in every room of the apartment and in front of the door as well. Wish I lived in a loft right now! The immigration officer stated those requirements were just, but I didn’t see those in any immigration rule though.

On the side note, my current stamp expires this Sunday, but maintained 400,000b “firmly” from December 30. As we are on Friday and it’s the last day of the week I can come, I thought it’d be alright. However, the officer said it wasn’t two months yet and had to wait until March 2nd and show them the passbook. I then noted that my current stamp expires Sunday, March 1st, and if I had to come back the following day, I’d overstayed. The officer denied it telling that because my stamp expires on a Sunday, it’s ok to come back the next business day! Next, I observed that 2 month seasoning doesn’t mean 60 days, as February 2015 only has 28 days and it’s still considered as a full month. Indeed, 2 months can also mean 62 days if you are to report in September (July and August count 31 days each). Nevertheless, it’s beyond their logic I guess!

Anyway, I’ll just need to show up one more time to give them the impression that they are doing a good job. Hope this report helps!

• Like 1

The immigration officer was right, as your extension expires on a day they are closed it is OK to get an extensio the first day they are open again and will not be considered being on overstay.

The photo outside the house must have the house number visable.

• Like 1

Wanting a copy of the landlords house book and ID card is standard now with a lease agreement. Also the concern over the scratched out date seems to be valid.

Photos have always been required. Especially the one with the house number showing in on of them.

The date your money was in the bank seems to incidental with the other problems. You hit a glitch with the 2 months because there is not a 30th day in February.

When you go in on Monday you will not be fined for one day of overstay because your permit to stay ends when immigration is closed.

Wanting a copy of the landlords house book and ID card is standard now with a lease agreement. Also the concern over the scratched out date seems to be valid.

Photos have always been required. Especially the one with the house number showing in on of them.

The date your money was in the bank seems to incidental with the other problems. You hit a glitch with the 2 months because there is not a 30th day in February.

When you go in on Monday you will not be fined for one day of overstay because your permit to stay ends when immigration is closed.

Copy of the landlord house book and ID card is that for all extensions or just for marriage extensions.

I've done retirement extensions at CW in BKK for years, including the most recent one last September. And never has Immigration there asked me to provide any kind of documentation of my rent/housing arrangements. If something has changed on that re retirement extensions at CW-BKK, it would have to be pretty recent.

Other than the passport photocopies and application form, the only other thing they've ever demanded was income documentation either by bank deposit, monthly income or combination of the two.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I also find this hard to believe. I know of too many people who did not have to produce the landlords housebook or ID card. This is important and if this is a new change this needs to be verified. Because this will affect everyone who goes to CW for extensions. I always that my lease with me and never had to show it at CW. Done 5 retirement extensions so far.

• Like 1

Actually, the first thing the immigration saw is my passbook. Note that she took all documents and stamped them, including the financial proof that was issued three days before.

Do you mean that House book and ID card along with lease agreement are standard at the Immigration, right? As for rental agreement purposes only, I'm not seeing that a copy of landlord's house book should be included in the agreement appendix, based on Thai Law.

Handwriting amendments sometimes occur and it's usual practice in Thailand to sign under the changes. Statement is out of chart, just because my rental agreement stipulates that lease is to be renewed every year based on original, unless i want to move out.

I agree photos have always been required. It's just the first time she asked me for specific photos in every room.

On the side note, the immigration officer didn't even bother to ask for my wife's id or tabiam ban!

Proof of address is NOT in the list of required documentation for any type of extension

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=278456

So it can be required, or not. In practice they want to verify that one lives within their area of service.

Proof of residence has been required for some time now at many immigration offices.

It not appearing on the immigration order is not a surprise at all.

It may be wanted to insure that people do not go to a different office than their assigned office. But they may want it as s confirmation of where you are really living.

• Like 1

P. S.: In my report, I forgot to mention that the immigration officer asked a COPY OF WATER BILL and COPY OF ELECTRICITY as well!

How would I do, if I lived in a hotel and change every 3 months?!

You would bring your hotel bill.

By the way in most cases for stays longer than a month water and electric are itemized charges even at some hotels.

I went in good spirit, so it doexnt actually bother me much. But it's quite laughable and pathetic to being required so many details and being so picky!

Look at the state of Thailand! There's no sidewalks. Even metal detectors and doors don't work at Chaeng wattana. Free shuttle bus that is supposed to show up every 30 mins don't even come. And you ask me a statement as a proof regarding normal amendments on my rental agreement???

It's a real comedy!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I went in good spirit, so it doexnt actually bother me much. But it's quite laughable and pathetic to being required so many details and being so picky!

Look at the state of Thailand! There's no sidewalks. Even metal detectors and doors don't work at Chaeng wattana. Free shuttle bus that is supposed to show up every 30 mins don't even come. And you ask me a statement as a proof regarding normal amendments on my rental agreement???

It's a real comedy!

Have to agree Thailand is clearly not the place for you!

Best you return home to the place that has "sidewalks" !

• Like 2

I took a water bill, a cable TV bill, a prior residence certificate processed by the immigration office, a Google Map of my Soi, plus a current lease and copy of Landlord's Thai ID and a copy of the document that proves ownership. Because I have moved 3 times over six months in this resort area to get a good rental deal, I had typed a time line with address and landlord contact info... That part of the application process went easily... They even gave me a new Residence Certificate...

However, from reading hundreds of TVF Immigration posts -- I find that Extensions for Marriage are heavily scrutinized - while Extensions for Retirement - not so much...

My tactic was to over document without overwhelming ... the I/O glanced at the documents and handed about 1/2 of them back... Bottom line -- I felt the I/O had little doubt about the validity of my residence because of the way I did it.

Everything would have probably gone well without some of my over documenting - but I just didn't want to have to come back or go someplace to get copies - as the Krabi Immigration office is off by itself with no businesses close by.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Yep, I agree. I wasn't expecting this scrutiny though, as previous years went smoothly, knowing that I have been staying at the same place for about three years now. But, i'll definitely keep that in mind for next year and even take home delivery receipts, and offer her to have a look at them. I'll see if she's got sense of humor!

Yep, I agree. I wasn't expecting this scrutiny though, as previous years went smoothly, knowing that I have been staying at the same place for about three years now. But, i'll definitely keep that in mind for next year and even take home delivery receipts, and offer her to have a look at them. I'll see if she's got sense of humor!

I don't think she will have any, especially when the reason for the inconvenience caused is a new boss that wants everything done from scratch no matter what. She deals with him/her everyday, you only once a year.

I don't think she will have any, especially when the reason for the inconvenience caused is a new boss that wants everything done from scratch no matter what. She deals with him/her everyday, you only once a year.

Thanks for the info. Good to know she has a new boss, as it explains why they do such things. Do you know the new boss' name by chance?

Thanks for the info. Good to know she has a new boss, as it explains why they do such things. Do you know the new boss' name by chance?

I don't know for sure, it's my assumption only. Zeroeing previous records for marriage extensions it's done only under high-powers instructions.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a real comedy!

Have to agree Thailand is clearly not the place for you!

Best you return home to the place that has "sidewalks" !

Wow, an 'if you don't like it go home post.' How original.

• Like 2

Talked to the owner/landlord of my condo this morning about copies of the book/id card, she owns an apartment building and five condos in different locations here in Bangkok, and asked her if anyone she rented to asked for this stuff. Her answer was never but then again she makes Shure immigration gets the proper reporting from her when a tenant moves in one of her condos. So maybe the OP and others who had to produce this stuff was because their landlords weren't doing their jobs and doing the reports to immigration. Just a thought.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Regarding the length of time required for the "seasoning" of funds.

I may be wrong but I think it is in fact 60 days, not 2 months, that is required for the first (initial approval) extension

Then it is 90 days, not 3 months, for all renewals after that.

They are usually not that picky, but maybe it was just a bad day.

whistling.gif Regarding the length of time required for the "seasoning" of funds.

I may be wrong but I think it is in fact 60 days, not 2 months, that is required for the first (initial approval) extension

Then it is 90 days, not 3 months, for all renewals after that.

They are usually not that picky, but maybe it was just a bad day.

The OP was applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage the police order states the money has to be in the bank for 2 months.

For retirement it is written as 60 days for the first extension and 3 months after that.