Thais flock to worship ‘sacred iron wood’ trees before lottery draws

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: As the first of March is coming up, Thairath Online has compiled a list of what many Thais believe to be “sacred takhien” or iron wood trees haunted by female ghosts.

Thairath said the believers hope the ghosts residing in the trees would help them find winning lottery numbers that they will bet on.

These believers place their hope on the trees two times a month – before the first and sixteenth days of the month when the lotteries are drawn.

Thairath has listed eight takhien trees or objects made of the trees that many Thais worship and believe they could find the winning numbers on the wood. The believers normally put powder on their hands and rub the wood to look for numbers.

The first one on the list is a boat made of takhien tree at the Amphawan Temple in Ubon Ratchathani’s district.

The second one is a log of takhine tree at the Sangkharachawas Temple in Sing Buri’s Muang district. The people believe this log is haunted by two sister ghosts.

A large takhien tree that has fallen down in Samut Sakhon’s Muang distric was the third one on the list.

The fourth one is a boat made of takhien tree at Bandaichang Temple in Tambon Huawieng in Ayutthaya’s Sena district.

The fifth one is a takhien tree inside the Thamdua Temple inKamphaeng Phet’s Muang district.

An ancient boat retrieved from a canal, which is being kept at the Thalard Temple in Ubon Ratchathani’s Don Moddaeng district, is the sixth one on the list.

The seventh one is a boat made of takhien wood that has been recently unearthed from a shore of Yung River in Roi Et’s Phonthong district.

Finally, a large takhien log at Takhien Ngarm Temple in Rayong’s Klaeng district is the eighth one on the list.

Thairath said please use your own judgment to believe it or not.

"the believers hope the ghosts residing in the trees would help them find winning lottery numbers that they will bet on." blink.png

Say's it all.

"trees or objects made of the trees that many Thais worship and believe they could find the winning numbers on the wood."

Ignorant serfs with twisted priorities entangled in ghostly pu ying filled trees.

facepalm.gif

It baffles me the things and objects they worship in that country. Thais would bow down to a teapot if you told them it was once belonged to x and that same teapot has held by x for x years etc my god what a joke.

But over in the west its much more clean with idiots happily paying $8 a minute on 19** numbers to speak to some nutter who think they know their life story and their future.

If anyone has seen the movie "Leon" when the little girl asks "Is life always like this or only when you are little" Leon says "Always like this" - No need for a god-dam teapot to tell me what to do!! I prefer to listen to Luc Besson movies.

In 1948, behavioral psychologist B.F. Skinner published an article in the Journal of Experimental Psychology, in which he described his pigeons exhibiting what appeared to be superstitious behaviour. One pigeon was making turns in its cage, another would swing its head in a pendulum motion, while others also displayed a variety of other behaviours. Because these behaviors were all done ritualistically in an attempt to receive food from a dispenser, even though the dispenser had already been programmed to release food at set time intervals regardless of the pigeons' actions, Skinner believed that the pigeons were trying to influence their feeding schedule by performing these actions. He then extended this as a proposition regarding the nature of superstitious behavior in humans.

stevie-wonder-o.gif

Edited by Mcffee

why of all things is this so strange, Thailand has a ministry of justice, Thailand has a police force, Thailand has a ministry for education, these things a far more unbelievable.

This is from the Ministry of Tingtongness

Look at who they worship in this country. One of the many gods is now a "Female Ghost inside a Tree"? Explains the open drains and poverty that's what you get when you worship false gods.

as opposed to real gods you mean ?

• Like 1

The believers normally put powder on their hands and rub the wood to look for numbers.

My dysfunctional, Issan family members do the same thing with the large toads in their garden, rubbing talcum powder on the toad's stomach and then trying to identify lottery numbers in the stomach black markings.

With a blackboard marker and several willing toads, you can have hours of enjoyment watching the family members scrambling amongst the wet grass for these 'lucky' toads..

post-174-0-54598500-1425256933_thumb.jpg

For some reason, my Issan wife and I went our separate ways shortly afterwards cheesy.gif

This morning at 5am a resident Tom cat in our development took down a rat with lighting precision with no noise or scream from the rat. Must be a lucky cat. I will seek him out around the 15th for tips on how to pick lottery numbers.