Buying 2nd hand pickup tomorrow from another Farang in Pattaya

There have been numerous posts here a TV that have stated that the buyer must have a Certificate of Residency from either Immigration (cheap) or from one's Embassy (expensive) but that the seller does not need one

How about someone who has actually sold a vehicle here in Thailand reporting exactly what is the rule

JESUS! So much B/S over 1 simple question! Ive BOUGHT AND SOLD VEHICLES AT THE PATTAYA TRANSPORT OFFICE.

Each time we did it both of us turned up with a residents letter EACH from jomtien and passports. We then got as many photocopies as they wanted ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY as it varies, we went into inspection where the frame n engine numbers are verified and then paid the transfer fee. Once the paperwork is in and checked its a safe bet that the deal is done so thats the time to hand over the cash and go while the buyer waits for the updated book. End.

yes we know you can change names on PATTAYA registered cars in the Pattaya transport office but you CANNOT change names for a BKK Registered car there.

OP Car has BKK Plates

Can I at least go to Pattaya transport office by regents school and pay the tax that is due now?

The blue book will be another two weeks I am guessing, and the tax expired last month. I must drive the truck this weekend to Surin, and along the way the cops have checkpoints about every 50 kms it seems.

yes tax and government insurance can be done any DLT

Make sure you have a copy of blue book,

you must have or make new government insurance before they will renew your tax

Government insurance can be done at small window next to stairs, after you got that go to information and get a number

Yes, I have the seller's copy of the blue book.

I have to get this govmt insurance? What if I am getting 1st class insurance? Then I don't need the govmt? Is that only if you don't have insurance? I don't know what this govmt insurance is about.

Thanks

Went to Pattaya transport office by Regents school and paid the tax.

We inquired about changing the name there when I get the blue book released from the bank. They said "Mai Dai"....that is cannot for the non-thai speakers.

So it looks like I will be doing the Agent because I don't want to go to bkk.

We inquired about changing the name there when I get the blue book released from the bank. They said "Mai Dai"....that is cannot for the non-thai speakers.

I think you can be pretty confident that anyone with > 100 posts knows both "mai dai" and "mai mee" just fine :)

As far as I am aware the fact that the car was registered in another province was not an issue when the buyer made the transfer.

Correct.....it's a fallacy that if you buy (or sell) a car from another province, it has to be re-registered in the province you live.

the only slight draw back would be if you lost the log book, you would have to go back to the province where it was registered to apply for a duplicate.....

Strange that all the vehicles i've bought with registration plates from other provinces have had to be "moved" to Chonburi ( Chonburi DLT not the one near Regents they wont do it ) and be issued with new number plates...the alternative given by the DLT was to go to the province they are allready registered in and transfer names there keep the number plate too...not so convenient if its registered in Chaingmai.

There are of course "agents" who seem to be able to fix all issues.

As I said

As I said

Yes, and I meant to thank you for your excellent advice, but forgot....so thanks!

where is the car registered, its a blue book, green is motorcycle

In Pattaya, or Chonburi province.....The seller lives here as well. I don't have it in my hand yet, but I am assuming it's registered here for now. If not, I will deal with that later.

Where ever this truck was last registered you will have to go there to re register it, ie the seller bought the truck in Chaing Mai and registered it there before moving to Pattaya you will have to go to CM to re register it. Done this twice not advice fact.

where is the car registered, its a blue book, green is motorcycle

In Pattaya, or Chonburi province.....The seller lives here as well. I don't have it in my hand yet, but I am assuming it's registered here for now. If not, I will deal with that later.

Where ever this truck was last registered you will have to go there to re register it, ie the seller bought the truck in Chaing Mai and registered it there before moving to Pattaya you will have to go to CM to re register it. Done this twice not advice fact.

I have no idea why you had to return to the province the vehicle was registered in, twice.

As I have already posted in this thread. I bought a BKK registered car from a dealer in Pattaya. The car was transferred to my name in Pattaya. I never went to BKK.

Drove another car with Songkhla plates to Udon Thani and sold it to a friend. The car was transferred to my friend's name. My friend never had to go to Songkhla.

TSF So you went to the Pattaya DLT and transfered a Bangkok plated car there yourself or did the dealer do it for you ?

With the BKK reg car I bought in Pattaya it was the dealer who took care of everything and had the vehicle transferred to my name.

With the Songkhla reg car I sold in UT there was no dealer involved. I went with my friend to the vehicle reg department in UT and we signed some papers. The vehicle was transferred to my friend's name. He didn't have to go to Songkhla.

TSF So you went to the Pattaya DLT and transfered a Bangkok plated car there yourself or did the dealer do it for you ?

With the BKK reg car I bought in Pattaya it was the dealer who took care of everything and had the vehicle transferred to my name.

With the Songkhla reg car I sold in UT there was no dealer involved. I went with my friend to the vehicle reg department in UT and we signed some papers. The vehicle was transferred to my friend's name. He didn't have to go to Songkhla.

Yes so the dealer in Pattaya used an agent or was an agent and the Songhla car was re registered in Udon Thani so got new plates

Yes so the dealer in Pattaya used an agent or was an agent and the Songhla car was re registered in Udon Thani so got new plates

Guess so.