English teachers in Thai govt schools face test

English teachers face test
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE 46,000 English-language teachers in government schools are set to undergo an international-level proficiency test - the first of its kind in nearly a decade.

It will be conducted this month and next month, Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC) secretary-general Kamol Rodkhlai said yesterday.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) test was last conducted in Thailand nearly 10 years ago, and will cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers.

The test is part of an Education Ministry policy to enhance Thailand's integration into the Asean Economic Community by lifting the country's English-speaking standards, Kamol said.

This means the standard of Thailand's English-language teachers needs to be improved, which will happen after the result of the test are known, he added.

"We don't know the skill levels of Thai English-language teachers because large-scale evaluations and tests were conducted a long time ago," he said.

There are 33,811 teachers in government primary schools under 183 area offices and 12,871 teachers in secondary schools under 42 area offices.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/English-teachers-face-test-30255137.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-02

• Like 1

It's not just about grammar. There's also a listening test, that becomes more difficult when test takers answer the first questions right.

I had to "prepare Thai teachers to pass an A 2 level" on a weekend seminar, which is not possible when they can't even have a basic conversation.

A 2 level is pretty much beginner, so I'm wondering which level they have to pass.

There's no cheating possible, the spoken English is British English, which seems to be pretty much difficult for Thais.

It seems that our educational area xx office knew that already five months ago and it makes perfect sense.

Please see: . http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php Easy for me to score C 2 level. coffee1.gif

Foreign teachers should make it to C 2, or Mastery level. I also believe that this might be the replacement test for non native English speakers.

Good to see that somebody obviously made the right decision. thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-33980200-1425255096_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

My eldest step daughter is 12 Y.O. From all the schools in the Korat region she has just got third place, so she is very smart (Takes after her Mother)

English, she is totally hopeless, she will not speak it because she is afraid of making a mistake.

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif

She wants to be a Doctor, yes another Thai Doctor that can not speak English.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My eldest step daughter is 12 Y.O. From all the schools in the Korat region she has just got third place, so she is very smart (Takes after her Mother)

English, she is totally hopeless, she will not speak it because she is afraid of making a mistake.

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Not a teacher but a Father, My girl was the same , I could ask her a question in English and she would understand it and answer yes or no , so she could understand it but was a bit shy yto speak it , so we sent her to a school that does many of the lessons in English, It took her about 2 weeks for he to lose her shyness and she's fine now ,, not perfect but much better

Good idea , lots of Philippine English teachers about, some are pretty good but some have a proper Philippine accent and I don't want my kids sounding like Carman Miranda when they speak English

The private school where my wife works is full of Filipina teachers.

The school prides it self on having Foreign teachers and are charging the parents a lot of money for Education every year. There are only two native English teachers working there and one Chinese teaching English all the rest are Filipinas.

They get the Filipinas for about 10,000B a month, this school is a complete rip off.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good idea , lots of Philippine English teachers about, some are pretty good but some have a proper Philippine accent and I don't want my kids sounding like Carman Miranda when they speak English

The private school where my wife works is full of Filipina teachers.

The school prides it self on having Foreign teachers and are charging the parents a lot of money for Education every year. There are only two native English teachers working there and one Chinese teaching English all the rest are Filipinas.

They get the Filipinas for about 10,000B a month, this school is a complete rip off.

They all try it. Similar situation in My Son and Daughters school. They lost a few Uk English Teachers at half term in October , my guess it was the visa crack down last year, Everyone was happy with the previous situation I would assume , No tax and WP and visa to pay for , so everyone was a winner. Now they have to do it properly it will cost far more. So enter the Flipper

In 2002 I stayed in Korat for about a month, This Dutch guy and myself were offered jobs teaching English. I told this school that I am not a teacher, his reply was that is not important. The thing that is important is " To be white and can speak some English" The Dutch guy could only speak a little English.

The point I am trying to make is the schools don't care about the children's education they only care about MAKING MONEY

To me this is a very sad situation.

I'm not saying that the Filipinas are not good teachers or the Dutch or German but I do believe that only Native English teachers should be teaching English. I just hope for the Children sake they can fix this problem.

• Like 2

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Not a teacher but a Father, My girl was the same , I could ask her a question in English and she would understand it and answer yes or no , so she could understand it but was a bit shy yto speak it , so we sent her to a school that does many of the lessons in English, It took her about 2 weeks for he to lose her shyness and she's fine now ,, not perfect but much better

Thank you for that ExPratt.wai.gif

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif

Some children might be uncomfortable having a respected family member (eg stepfather) as a tutor - they are afraid to make mistakes in front of someone they see every day. Which is a pity, 'cos it seems you might be the best English speaker in the area!

Suggestion: dilute her discomfort level by offering to tutor your daughter and her best friend(s) in a small informal group. This way, the daughter will have her support group with her and will not be the only focus of attention, and her friend(s) will probably want to learn English from a native speaker for free.

Some children might be uncomfortable having a respected family member (eg stepfather) as a tutor - they are afraid to make mistakes in front of someone they see every day. Which is a pity, 'cos it seems you might be the best English speaker in the area!

Suggestion: dilute her discomfort level by offering to tutor your daughter and her best friend(s) in a small informal group. This way, the daughter will have her support group with her and will not be the only focus of attention, and her friend(s) will probably want to learn English from a native speaker for free.

Last week I started to teach her English with her younger sister 8 Y.O. and also their Mother. One hour Saturday & Sunday I am trying for. A bit of back ground, my wife is a teacher also a qualified Thai Chef. She prefers to work as a chef. When we first met we spoke using google translate, now with her crappy English and my dreadful Thai we can have a conversation.

The younger daughter will have to start with the ABC, the first lesson I started with the body parts just trying to get them to say the words is a challenge.

I really take my hat off to teachers because no way I could ever do it for a living.

In 2002 I stayed in Korat for about a month, This Dutch guy and myself were offered jobs teaching English. I told this school that I am not a teacher, his reply was that is not important. The thing that is important is " To be white and can speak some English" The Dutch guy could only speak a little English.

The point I am trying to make is the schools don't care about the children's education they only care about MAKING MONEY

I'm not saying that the Filipinas are not good teachers or the Dutch or German but I do believe that only Native English teachers should be teaching English. I just hope for the Children sake they can fix this problem.

Non native speakers are prefectly abled to teach English. I had a Dutch English teacher in school, I am sure an Englishman could not tell he was not British, just a perfect Accent.

I disagree with you.

• Like 1

My english lessons started in english language from day 1 with "take your books at the tables please" while nobody knew what to do. NO other language was allowed during the lessons AT ALL.

I'm happy the Thai finally realised that the problem is their english teachers (who can't speak english at all).

Next step is teach all radio/tv prominents good english before they are allowed to speak english words during a broadcast.

The Thai just need good examples and get rid of the "me shy"-culture.

The first one who mixes the R with the L deserves some slapping tongue.png , after teaching my wife for 15 years she still mixes them up sometimes.

• Like 2

I have met and worked with numerous native speaker teachers in Thailand, and I can say that I would never allow most of those "native speakers" to get any close to any kids let alone teach them. Travellers, junkies, fugitives and all sort of scumbags account for a large number of native speakers in Thailand. I know there are some good teachers as well. I would say that native speakers should teach listening and speaking. Unfortunately, most of them have no idea how to teach academic writing, IELTS, or grammar. Why would you let them teach these subjects?

The best teachers I have met were non-native speakers, and some of them had real great knowledge of English language.

• Like 2

The other day i looked at the homework the neighbours kids were doing and noticed they even don't learn the ABC-alphabet. They had a mixture of the Thai-Western alphabet which they had to learn.

After seeing that i refused to help them with their homework, come on, which idiot developed these lessons? English is in ABC and nothing else!

So i hope/guess many Thai english teachers will loose their jobs. Those kids even go to a very expensive school at the other side of BKK.

One of two things will happen, either they will do the test properly & over 90% will fail, or they will all cheat, as they wont sack teachers, no prizes for guessing what will happen.... Keeping everyone poor stupid, seems to be one of the main aims of every Thai government, elected or not...