Outrageously erroneous hotel prices quoted by Agoda

Xircal

I really can't believe that Agoda has the temerity to quote reservation rates which are so erroneous and misleading.

I'm currently searching for a decent, but cheap hotel in Patong in June and find hotel booking sites like Agoda useful because they include a map of where the hotel is located. But that's as far as it goes because they are always more expensive than the rates quoted by the hotel itself.

But this was the most outrageous rate I came across today. It concerns the PL House which is located in a dingy alley near Jungceylon. Agoda quotes rooms reduced from 10,000 Baht to just 997,50 and 10,000 Baht to 2,850 Baht. Sounds great eh? You'd think you were getting a real bargain wouldn't you?

But nothing can be further than the truth because if you go to the hotel's own site, you'll find that the low season rates are just 990 Baht a night. Even if you were to book peak season, you'd still only be paying 2,590 Baht. http://www.plhousepatong.com/rates.html

So where they got the figure of 2,850 Baht from is beyond me.

And last, but not least, here's the Google Street View of the hotel. Does that look like a place that would cost 10,000 Baht a night to you?

post-101376-0-94305100-1425310102_thumb.

• Like 1

it is 100% the HOTELS who do the administration.

agoda is only offering the PLATTFORM to sell rooms.

Hotels are being taught how to use the said platform properly and perform a proper administration of their data.

some hotel staff just don't know how to....... that's all.....

• Like 1

Hotel rates set by the hotel.

Strike-through rates invented by Agoda,

Fact!

Yes, exactly. That's the point I was trying to make when I said that it looks from the way it's written that it's the bargain of a lifetime.

it is 100% the HOTELS who do the administration.

agoda is only offering the PLATTFORM to sell rooms.

Hotels are being taught how to use the said platform properly and perform a proper administration of their data.

some hotel staff just don't know how to....... that's all.....

I don't think that's the case because if it was, every hotel would join up. But go look for C&N Hotel on Agoda and you won't find it.

Also, although it states in Agoda's Terms and Conditions that the hotel is responsible for ensuring that prices are accurate, it doesn't mention how those may be applied. I can't link to those directly by the way, so just fill in some fake details for Country and Area to view the page.

In this particular case though, I think it would even be beyond the imagination of a particularly greedy thai to envisage that the room price originally cost 10,000 Baht a night had been reduced to 997,50.

If I see something like that I immediately think it must be located next to a stinking cesspit to warrant such a reduction.

The hotel will quote the requested price to Agoda. After this Agoda will put the price minus their commission on their website.

The strike through price is completely irrelevant and made up Agoda. ( Clearly something went wrong on Agoda side )

Experienced from my own hotel and work with Agoda.

Edited by merijn

I am a hotel manager and I can assure you that both "strike-through" and best rates are set by the hotel and the hotel only. If hotels are not listed, it is because they do not want to pay the (very) high commission.

I went to a very popular hotel in Pattaya. I checked Agoda for price and then called the hotel to make reservations. The price quoted was about 500 baht higher than Agoda. I asked if they would honor the Agoda price, they said no. I booked through Agoda. Sometimes things just dont make sense.

• Like 1

I've just looked at my own strike-through rates and they bear no resemblance to anything I would ever have entered. As far as I know I have never entered a strike-through rate on any website.

The strike-through rate for mine is at leat twice what I would have entered as a default room rate so I still believe that in most cases it is a work of fiction, created by Agoda and other booking websites.

Using asiarooms right price and very good service

After using Agoda two times just to compare...never again.

It is true that sometimes rates at the hotel site or at the hotel door may be better...but....also is true that sometimes needs to get into negotiation or getting bad surprises arriving at the hotel. Most hotels with avoid problems with big agencies.

I went to a very popular hotel in Pattaya. I checked Agoda for price and then called the hotel to make reservations. The price quoted was about 500 baht higher than Agoda. I asked if they would honor the Agoda price, they said no. I booked through Agoda. Sometimes things just dont make sense.

Same experience as me.

I always stay in the same hotel when visiting Penang. Hotel manager told me to give him a call when I wanted a booking as he would give me a discount.

Even with the discount, Agoda price was less. I continue to use Agoda for the booking.

• Like 1

I use Agoda frequently.

Good system, prices are good, good bonus points give good discounts when you use it a lot.

It remembers all your details if you log-in, so you just need the 3 digit security code on your credit card to complete a booking.

Had a couple of times when I had to change bookings and Customer Service were easy to deal with.

No complaints.

each and EVERY hotel provides the price information and agoda, booking.com, asia travel etc ONLY place up the info

they have ZERO control on the price

I worked for Planet holiday before it was agoda

travel now

priceline

Hotels are not allowed ( in the contract) to undersell the price they provide agoda an others

Sometimes u can get a cheaper rater if u walk in but never booking online unless its a hotel that does not honor their contracts.

I have also experienced this.

I have tried to save the hotel the commission but they were not interested.

• Like 2

Don't believe any of those booking websites, the platform used is purely illustrated to try to sell rooms.

99% of the time the info will be incorrect so don't rely on it.

Walk in price is often cheapest ......wai2.gif

Incorrect.

The online sites are always cheaper for 4 and 5 star hotels, in fact the times I have tried to go direct, they advise me to go to Agoda as it is MUCH cheaper.

...the lower end hotels might do a deal for slightly cheaper to save of the commission, but not the big guys that rely heavily on online booking.

You don't know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

Don't believe any of those booking websites, the platform used is purely illustrated to try to sell rooms.

That could not be further from the truth!

• Like 2

I guess it depends on the category of the hotel. I can assure you that in the upmarket hotels, walk-in prices are often much, much higher than what is on the 3rd-party and OTA (Online Travel Agent) sites.

• Like 1

"Walk-in price is often the cheapest..."

What utter tosh!

Here's a little scenario for you to ponder:

Exhibit A:

A weary traveller standing in the lobby with rain beating down outside and his kids screaming and his wife fuming who is desperate for a bed and a meal and a drink.

Exhibit B: The guy sitting at his computer with a nice glass of his favourite beverage patiently browsing the various booking portals and calmly comparing the offers available at one hotel and perhaps some others nearby.

Now, ask yourself who is going to get the better offer in this scenario: the guy at the end of his tether bent over a barrel or the guy with all the time in the world to make his mind up where his hard-earned goes?

Edited by fester the benevolent
  • Like 2

Using asiarooms right price and very good service

Off-topic, but the owner of asiarooms (Laterooms), has just announced that they are closing down the Asiarooms.com website - apparently not enough website traffic.

I have tried to save the hotel the commission but they were not interested

Often, the front desk staff do not have the authority to make decisions like this.

Or it may be down to hotel policy.

For example, at one of my little hotels, I will not accept 'walk-in' customers - everyone has to book via Booking.com.

Although it may look crazy to turn away commission-free customers, I have found that using just a few sales channels (ie travel websites), makes the administration of that hotel more efficient - the hotel is usually booked out anyway and so walk-ins are not possible.

The commission paid for the occasional walk-in customer would be neither here nor there.

I have booked online whilst in a taxi to a Hotel and got a room for $70.

When I arrived and was checking in, a walk in arrived and they quoted $180 for the same type of room.

Walk ins always pay more and more often than not the person accepts that rate.

I am a hotel manager and I can assure you that both "strike-through" and best rates are set by the hotel and the hotel only. If hotels are not listed, it is because they do not want to pay the (very) high commission.

Useful to know.

I know booking.com charges 30% which I assume gets added to the room rate and I would imagine that Agoda does something similar.

each and EVERY hotel provides the price information and agoda, booking.com, asia travel etc ONLY place up the info

they have ZERO control on the price

I worked for Planet holiday before it was agoda

travel now

priceline

Hotels are not allowed ( in the contract) to undersell the price they provide agoda an others

Sometimes u can get a cheaper rater if u walk in but never booking online unless its a hotel that does not honor their contracts.

Aha, that might explain why C&N doesn't appear on Agoda because they offer a discount if you book directly with their site.

dont get too worked up. shop on the internet as you would on the high street. visit various travel agents and take the best deal.

next.

I wasn't worked up for that reason. It was just that ludicrously inflated price which was then 'discounted' to an equally ridiculous figure which put my back up.

But I've noticed that Thai hotels are back to their old tricks again i.e. "Not many tourists around? Put the price up!"

Prices generally have been increased significantly compared to last year in spite of the recession in the EU and other Western countries.

Maybe the Chinese have plenty of dough to chuck around although I can't imagine that that's the case somehow.