Car camera's. Don't make the same mistake as me!

Not very helpful such tool.

It should have minimal buffer time.

It should be tolerant to sudden power outage (in case of accident) and so on.

It should be tolerant to a driver in panic (as is the case after an accident).

More of a toy than a "flight recorder" (guess they have more robust technique).

Thanks for the headup and good luck.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can someone explain a car camera and what it does exactly ? What to buy ? Im a car driver and always worry about this ....recommendations please ??

The better cameras have a G-sensor that detects collisions/sharp braking etc. Upon detecting such an event, it saves and partitions the recording in a separate folder (30 seconds before & after the event) and prevents it from being over-written or lost.

Er. Thank you.....so what do I ask for at Tukkom ?

In your defense.. Make sure you emphasize the bike was riding around in the overtaking direction..

Bikes, even literbikes etc, are supposed to overtake on the left and remain entirely in the left hand side of the road, 'under taking' other vehicles.

As such with a lawyer for assistance, you should be able to clearly demonstrate you were in the right.

The better cameras have a G-sensor that detects collisions/sharp braking etc. Upon detecting such an event, it saves and partitions the recording in a separate folder (30 seconds before & after the event) and prevents it from being over-written or lost.

Er. Thank you.....so what do I ask for at Tukkom ?

They nearly all have G-sensors in them, even the cheap ones.

Better to do some research on the net before you buy, here's a start:

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/dash-cam-comparison-table/

The ones in Tuk-com are mainly all cheap quality ones for sell, the G1W is probably

the best cheap one to get from there for around 2000bt.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/

From the OP...

... Now have to meet up on Saturday to negotiate!

If you have insurance, get them to attend any negotiations and keep you advised. This soon after the accident is merely a shakedown exercise with the police and 'victims' since insurers easily take +30 days to settle even the most basic of claims.

"musiclover"

DashCams/Car Cams are small cameras usually smaller than a pack of cigarettes that sit on your dashboard or more precisely attach to the inside windscreen to record a video of your journeys, and more importantly record a video of any accident that you are involved in. As long as it's not you fault, in which case the camera obviously was not working. whistling.gif

The camera has a small memory card where it stores the videos. You set the length of each video clip from about 2min to all day if you want, best to have a short time as you don't want to search through hours of video just to get the bit that you want to look at. I have mine set to 2 min.

The camera should have a second or so overlap as it goes from one clip to the next so if you have an accident at that moment you don't loose any footage.

The video should be set on "loop recording" which means when the memory card is full it will over write the oldest clip so you never have to worry about missing a moment because of "memory full".

On most cameras you have the option of a "G-Sensor" setting. This means that if you have an accident and the car gets a jolt the camera will sense this and lock the last file, the one that hopefully recorded the accident so you won't loose it by being over written.

The camera plugs into the cigar accessory socket so will come on each time you start the car and shut down when you turn off the engine at the end of your journey so once set up you don't have to worry about it anymore.

On most cameras you should be able to play back a video on site of an accident but as they are regular vide files they will play back on the computer and depending on the quality of the video even on your large flatscreeen TV.

There are many cameras at all prices to choose from, some of the cheaper have poor quality recording especially at night. Some have plastic lenses that distort with the heat and some just don't work properly.

I would recommend avoiding the cheap ones. Go for a model that at least has a manufactures WebSite and better still will provide firmware updates.

There are many threads on the subject on this forum so search will give lots of useful information.

Here is what I have:- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/558222-dash-cam/page-3 -Scroll down

And remember DashCams can be fun too. You can sit at home in front of the TV and watch a replay of a special day out on the road, but remember most cameras also have audio so be careful what you say during your days journeys. whistling.gif

Hope this is some help. smile.png

Thanks Daffy, greatly appreciated!

The cameras have a small internal battery that will close and save the last file when the ignition is turned off.

The OP it seems removed the SD card while the camera was still active, not giving the camera chance to save the last file. w00t.gif

Thanks to the OP for posting and reminding us to be more careful.

thumbsup.gif

That's what happened !.

Anyway ended up me having to pay 36k which by the way left a bad taste in my mouth!.

They wanted 100k to repair/replace his bike (Honda cbr300) and the plod in the station was on their side until I had a friend who is married to a top cop call him whilst the meeting was going on and got him to change his tune .

Still winds me up that I have to pay for some other idiots stupidity!.

Edited by 007cableguy

From the OP...

... Now have to meet up on Saturday to negotiate!

If you have insurance, get them to attend any negotiations and keep you advised. This soon after the accident is merely a shakedown exercise with the police and 'victims' since insurers easily take +30 days to settle even the most basic of claims.

If you have supplementary insurance, you're supposed to call them so they can attend the scene. Trying to save your 'no claims' can turn and bite you.

(DELETED - Troll / Flaming) Mirrors are useful also.

Jerry

Edit:- looks like he didn't have supplementary insurance after all. Lucky he didn't damage something expensive like a Vanquish which costs 25 million and can't be repaired in Thailand.

Edited by seedy

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain a car camera and what it does exactly ? What to buy ? Im a car driver and always worry about this ....recommendations please ??

Lazada have a good selection from 500thb, but only the ones over 2000 thb may have a good definition for night driving. I got one for 1000thb, good enough, but If I need to get another one will be the ones with 2 lenses for front and back recording. It is one for about 1800thb in Lazada. Anyway, Lazada return policy allows to return the merchandise in 15 day, trade or get refund, and do not need to pay in advance, just cash at the door and after inspection. Very convenient.

Lazada have a good selection from 500thb, but only the ones over 2000 thb may have a good definition for night driving. I got one for 1000thb, good enough, but If I need to get another one will be the ones with 2 lenses for front and back recording. It is one for about 1800thb in Lazada. Anyway, Lazada return policy allows to return the merchandise in 15 day, trade or get refund, and do not need to pay in advance, just cash at the door and after inspection. Very convenient.

Dual lens cameras give poor quality recording for the rear, better to buy 2 individual

cameras front and back.

Also cheaper to replace one camera than a dual lens if one becomes faulty.

Exactly but there is one major pitfall with this technique. If you drive over Country Roads (which as we know can have a lot of potholes) the G-sensor will be saving files all the time. So please experiment with the G-Sensor sensitivity.

A good advice also could be, Format the SD card ever so often. so that the protected files also get removed, or check the setting "overwrite protected files".