Question: Heat from bikes riding in Thailand

Be honest. Were you wearing flip-flops or crocs and no socks or even shorts instead of jeans or kevlar pants? Other than this I have nothing postive to add to this thread since I have never ridden either bike.

You show me how to shift with flip-flops biggrin.png

I wore long cargo pants (no jeans), with sneakers and short socks. Still crazy amount of heat around my ankles / calfs

You wore cargo pants with sneakers and short socks while riding a big bike in Bangkok? facepalm.gif

And you're complaining about the heat?

Try wearing proper gear and get back to us and then maybe your question will be taken seriously.

"Proper gear" ? proper according to who?...You must realise that 'sportsbike' riders do not dominate this forum[ tho a few of you do try hard to]...Not everyone who rides a bike feels the need to dress like Darth Vader lookalike....Not everyone is so paranoid about the "what if" scenario..rolleyes.gif

EDIT..i am not knocking your choice to wear whatever safety gear you feel you need it is after all your choice..but don't knock others who don't make the same choices as you do...

Edited by andreandre

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my Versy.

Easier to maintain than a Ducati and a whole lot more comfortable. Goes like snot and super stable. Easier to get touring gear if that is in your future.

Never heard a single bad word about the Versys.

Everyone has an opinion, or so I'm told. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

Have owned a Ninja 650 for several years. Have ridden it all over Thailand, save down in the panhandle area. Love the way it handles. Love the riding position. But seeing as how it's getting to be a bit old, thought maybe I should update. 650 Kawasakis seem like "the bike for me," here, anyway, so I bought a Versys second hand with 17KM on the odo. I couldn't stand that thing! Big, awkward, tricky at spliting lanes, handled like crap. Very tall. And then there was that "sidestand shuffle" thing to deal with. Stop it on a hill by the road, put the sidestand down, step away and all of a sudden, the dang thing leans over another 15 degrees. Sure... I could get one of those big flat foot things for the sidestand. But why would I want to do that? It handled like crap and was quirky, IMO, and putting big metal boxes, top boxes and all that touring crap on it would only make it worse. The Versys was a very far cry from the low, light and nimble Ninja. The Versys is an "adventure bike?" Really??? I'd be far more likely to go up the weird, steep, changing radius swtichbacks on the backside of Doi Inthanon on the Ninja, or even on a Honda Wave, then I ever would be on a Versys. And much happier on the streets of Bangkok with a Ninja as well. So I sold the Versys. Nothing wrong with the Ninja, other than it has lots of KMs. And in fact, never had a =mechanical= problem with either the Ninja or the Versys (other than that weird and apparently universal sidestand issue, to the degree that might be called "mechanical").

Yes. the sidestand shuffle almost gave me a heart attack the first time in happened. Even with a flat foot, it still happens. The flat foot stand is more to stop the stand from sinking into soft ground (grass etc).

Agree to a certain extent what you say about the Versys. However, I could not imagine having gone on my many touring trips around Thailand on a Ninja. The position for the Versys is much more upright and comfortable when covering long distances, especially when riding two up. I also find the high sitting position and the ability to stand on the pegs a real bonus in Bkk traffic, especially for seeing over the top of cars and for deciding which lanes are better for splitting.

An adventure bike it isn't but the Versys is also much better for navigating some of Thailand's less pristine roads - the potholed ones and the dirt roads that are very often unavoidable, depending on your route.

Love my Versy.

Easier to maintain than a Ducati and a whole lot more comfortable. Goes like snot and super stable. Easier to get touring gear if that is in your future.

Never heard a single bad word about the Versys.

Everyone has an opinion, or so I'm told. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

Have owned a Ninja 650 for several years. Have ridden it all over Thailand, save down in the panhandle area. Love the way it handles. Love the riding position. But seeing as how it's getting to be a bit old, thought maybe I should update. 650 Kawasakis seem like "the bike for me," here, anyway, so I bought a Versys second hand with 17KM on the odo. I couldn't stand that thing! Big, awkward, tricky at spliting lanes, handled like crap. Very tall. And then there was that "sidestand shuffle" thing to deal with. Stop it on a hill by the road, put the sidestand down, step away and all of a sudden, the dang thing leans over another 15 degrees. Sure... I could get one of those big flat foot things for the sidestand. But why would I want to do that? It handled like crap and was quirky, IMO, and putting big metal boxes, top boxes and all that touring crap on it would only make it worse. The Versys was a very far cry from the low, light and nimble Ninja. The Versys is an "adventure bike?" Really??? I'd be far more likely to go up the weird, steep, changing radius swtichbacks on the backside of Doi Inthanon on the Ninja, or even on a Honda Wave, then I ever would be on a Versys. And much happier on the streets of Bangkok with a Ninja as well. So I sold the Versys. Nothing wrong with the Ninja, other than it has lots of KMs. And in fact, never had a =mechanical= problem with either the Ninja or the Versys (other than that weird and apparently universal sidestand issue, to the degree that might be called "mechanical").

Yes. the sidestand shuffle almost gave me a heart attack the first time in happened. Even with a flat foot, it still happens. The flat foot stand is more to stop the stand from sinking into soft ground (grass etc).

Agree to a certain extent what you say about the Versys. However, I could not imagine having gone on my many touring trips around Thailand on a Ninja. The position for the Versys is much more upright and comfortable when covering long distances, especially when riding two up. I also find the high sitting position and the ability to stand on the pegs a real bonus in Bkk traffic, especially for seeing over the top of cars and for deciding which lanes are better for splitting.

An adventure bike it isn't but the Versys is also much better for navigating some of Thailand's less pristine roads - the potholed ones and the dirt roads that are very often unavoidable, depending on your route.

That sidestand shuffle almost gave me a heart attack every time it happened. Bikes just aren't supposed to lurch toward the dark side the minute you turn your back on them. But I'd have my back to it, often walking away, and then would come that kinda crashing sound. Never happy to see that the bike had decided to lean more.

Riding positions: I'm an old guy, kinda maybe (don't tell anyone). Not old enough to have a bad back, but I do. While many might like the upright riding position of the Versys, my back couldn't take it, and so (for me) that was another complaint. The forward leaning position of the Ninja isn't too radical, but it's enough. For me. And I can stand on the pegs as well. smile.png

Ninja: The bike has about 55,000 KM on it now. Most of that has been touring. My knees start to get tired after 2-3 days of hard riding. Hanging my feet on the frame sliders off and on helps, but it's still gonna happen. Fortunately, I usually stop somewhere for a while before that. There just aren't that many 2-3 day long hard rides here in LOS.

The only road that has ever given me trouble on the Ninja is highway 2195, along the Laos border between Na Haeo and Chiang Khan. There's not a lot of pavement up there, but there is some. And what there is tends to jut up out of the dirt/gravel roadbed. Extremely slow going, uphill and down, with the road bad enough to hammer a rider pretty good. I'm afraid I wimped out about halfway to my destination, and turned south to Loei when I reached highway 2099. My arms, elbows and shoulders hurt for a few days after that, just from the beating the road gave them. The Versys might be better on that road. But that's a hella bad road, and the Versys is top heavy. Can't help but think that it might also spend a lot more time on its side(s). (Remembering a friend riding one a year or two back, with full top box and full metal suitcases and a girlfriend on the back, who came to a stop. As I watched him not moving, I swear he seemed to be thinking "this looks like a good place to lay it on its side," and so he did. Not moving. Plop. And he was a pretty big guy.)

Regardless, I'm sure many people like the Versys and would prefer it over a Ninja for one reason or several. Some no doubt hate Ninjas. Or Kawasakis, or etc. Have mentioned a few bad things about the Versys, and now a few "less than ideal" things about the Ninja as well. Just holding these things (and the matter of service) up to be seen and thought about. Thailand is still a place requiring lots of compromise on the choice of motorcycles. I may be extremely happy with my Ninja here, but it surely wouldn't be the first bike I'd buy back in the world.

Oh, and an actual comment relating to the original question: in the afternoons in the hot season, I often have to ride with my legs pretty much wide open. Intermittently. Heat. Not so much in the cool season. The Versys doesn't have as much of a fairing. Maybe it would be less of a problem on a Versys. Can't really recall. I sold mine after about 1,000 KM. Relatedly, the owners manuals of Kawasaki 650s recommend you turn off the engine if you'll be stopped and idling for more than two minutes, I think it is. Else you risk engine damage.

Sidestand shuffle, one more time: I can't remember whether I took this pic before, or after, the bike did its sidestand shuffle. Amazed that the bike remained "vertical" at all, but it always did... biggrin.png

post-39272-0-08902100-1425844131_thumb.j

^

It's the same with my bike- the highest I've ever seen (stuck in traffic on a brutally hot day) was 101* (and that was for less than a minute- I was watching the gauge like a hawk;))- usually it runs ~90* +/-2 or 3 depending on ambient temperature, going up to ~95*-97* at the stoplights.

Whatever you choose it will be hot out there in summer. One way to avoid getting lower body heat related problems is to buy 2 pair of plastic pants. But both pair on, tie then at the ankles then head into 711 for a few bags of ice. Put the ice in between the 2 layers of plastic pants and lower body temp will be cool. If you tie the bottoms outside your boots the melt water will drain away onto the road. And you will have hours of pleasant riding in the extreme heat.

Want to know how to keep you upper body cool?

I hope I don't meet you outside 711, incontinence pants and ice cubes up you jacksy.........Gross man! biggrin.png

ok oK OK, you don't like that idea? How about m/c air conditioning?

post-63954-0-82674800-1425907369_thumb.j

Whatever you choose it will be hot out there in summer. One way to avoid getting lower body heat related problems is to buy 2 pair of plastic pants. But both pair on, tie then at the ankles then head into 711 for a few bags of ice. Put the ice in between the 2 layers of plastic pants and lower body temp will be cool. If you tie the bottoms outside your boots the melt water will drain away onto the road. And you will have hours of pleasant riding in the extreme heat.

Want to know how to keep you upper body cool?

I hope I don't meet you outside 711, incontinence pants and ice cubes up you jacksy.........Gross man! biggrin.png

ok oK OK, you don't like that idea? How about m/c air conditioning?

attachicon.gifmotorcycle air con.JPG

Yes, sitting next to someone at the lights listening to iced water squelching around in your PVC pantaloons, you won't get many girls like that....oh hang on TIT!

(DELETED)

The ACU looks like a good idea though, but really need to get it into your helmet. w00t.gif

Edited by seedy
off topic

No heat issues with my CRF250M ...... have you considered that perhaps some of your motors are too big? biggrin.png

But seriously - heat between cars in Bangkok can be an issue for any bike.

I think most bikes can stand heat when they are moving - but heavy traffic with minimal air-flow over the motor and radiator(s) is a challenge to bike and rider.

And on the Honda 250 L and M models the right rear foot-peg gets really hot as the exhaust is routed just inside the frame. I've seen some bikes with extra insulation added to keep the foot-rest cooler. It's not a problem out of the city - but in traffic it can melt the shoes of a passenger.

Never ridden a Motard but the M796 is hot - especially on the left side of inside thigh. When riding in shorts and get stuck in a little traffic you will get heat rash and possible slight burn, easy way to overcome is to lift your left leg up onto the footpeg. Even with cargo pants/jeans the heat is not much better unless you have kevlar jeans. All in all though, if you dont mind the slight discomfort of the heat, Duc Monster is a nice bike to ride.

And dont take much notice of the crap given by those for wearing anything but full leathers/kevlar clothing. Yes you run the risk of skin damage if you come off, but in Thailand that will be the least of your problems........

Edit: Even with the stock cans/cat converter replaced with Carbon, the heat hasn't come down much at all on the left thigh - mainly heat from the engine and not much you can do about it.

Edited by powdermonkey

If you have seen the film "The World's Fastest Indian" Burt Monroe had a top tip. He got an electric blanket made of asbestos and wrapped the stuffing around his leg. Works up to 320kph I believe.

You might find it hard to find one in Thailand though, especially asbestos....Perhaps an exhaust bandage instead, the colours are a bit drab though..

Never ridden a Motard but the M796 is hot - especially on the left side of inside thigh. When riding in shorts and get stuck in a little traffic you will get heat rash and possible slight burn, easy way to overcome is to lift your left leg up onto the footpeg. Even with cargo pants/jeans the heat is not much better unless you have kevlar jeans. All in all though, if you dont mind the slight discomfort of the heat, Duc Monster is a nice bike to ride.

And dont take much notice of the crap given by those for wearing anything but full leathers/kevlar clothing. Yes you run the risk of skin damage if you come off, but in Thailand that will be the least of your problems........

Edit: Even with the stock cans/cat converter replaced with Carbon, the heat hasn't come down much at all on the left thigh - mainly heat from the engine and not much you can do about it.

What's your suggestion for riding gear in Thailand? Full leathers are extremely hot, no question about that. But skin rash is a real b*tch.

What's your suggestion for riding gear in Thailand? Full leathers are extremely hot, no question about that. But skin rash is a real b*tch.

My suggestion is to dress to whatever floats your boat taking into account the risk and likelihood of crash effect under each ride. Instead of tearing pieces out of other peoples choices like it seems a lot do on TV, maybe give them something to think about and let them decide for themselves.

Myself:

If I am going on a long highway ride where the highest likelihood in a crash is a bitumen slide due to the higher speed, then yes full protective gear is probably the most appropriate choice. Plus there is no worry about heat issue (due to full protectiver gear) either as the wind will help cool the body so there is no effect on attention span while riding.

But if I am doing low speed riding, city traffic etc, the highest liklihood when crashing is either impact with another object (vehicle, pole, reo bar sticking out of pavement, street wiring taking your neck off.......) or getting run over by other traffic, the effect of having full protective gear is mostly negated in such scenarios. There is no doubt I will still get some skin rash but this is also minimal and I am prepared to live with that. The big plus is that dressing more comfortably for the situation allows me 100% attention on the riding thus reducing the risk of an accident in the first place. Example for me: Ducking into central Pattaya is helmet, gloves, closed shoes with shorts and t-shirt.

If you are sufferring from any sort of excessive body heat created from full protectives, your attention span is reduced - greatly in some cases depending on the circumstance. And before the comparision happen, riding on a racetrack with heat stress is a completely different risk profile from road riding with heat stress.

Update:

After a week away an business, with a little time to reflect... and a weekend of PCX riding through Bangkok where I talked to other bike riders in the streets... I am still struggling about many things but I am getting more and more sure about the purpose of that bike wish and that means, not touring but focussed on fun short rides and town. For touring another bike later.

That opens up a few interesting option in street bikes, although the seating position an height often takes it away from me... I do prefer a more upright seating position - at least to some extend - and also my long legs make it harder to use the shift easily or have a "naturally feeling" doing it.

So a a few other options I did look into:

-> Yamaha MT-07 (FZ-07)
- super interesting alternative from what I can get information about.

- Amazing price point

- I do love the dash board which is underwhleming with the Ducati, to say the least

- I am not sure about the height. It might be a little low... and I can test how my long legs fit around it

- It is just not available in Thailand yet.

-> Yamaha MT-09 (FZ-09)

- 3-zylinder enginge promises heaps of fun

- tester rave about it

- interesting alternative that is available in Thailand

- but nearly same price as the Ducati with less emotion on my side

- but I did not test it yet, not even sit on it

- never saw one in the streets or could talk to someone about it

- seating position kinda low

-> Honda CB650F

- totally different baby, compared to what I looked in before

- 4 zylinder engine (never had one, not sure about that)

- great sound and look from what I see in BKK streets

- seating position tollerable, even if not fully upright but I am missing some height

- price point again convinsing

- again with Honda big bikes, I had no chance to drive one myself

- most personal information I got from drivers in the streets I asked about their bike - not objective info I assume

-> Honda CB500X

- lacking in power and a bit of everything

- makes that up with very competitive price

- still do not get the "feeling" for it

- very low for me, awkward seating position (from what I can test by sitting on it)

-> Kawasaki er6n 2015

- beautiful and a lot of it is similar to the Honda 500X

- just to low for my and the leaning forward position feels a little too much

- even though I did not drive it

-> Ducati Hypermotard

- height and seating position is good for me

- legs folding around with the (lower) Thai seat is still not optimal (I would order the original one for the rest of the world)

- engine is just fun and exciting

- Ducati has good support

- although many Thais complain about high prices and incompetent service of some dealers

- highest price in general of all choices

- maybe more challenging than the others but that is also for me the fun part

I am leaning strongly towards on buying the Hypermotard at this point, heat or not... struggling with the suboptimal dealers here and the lack of promotions thereof

Since I found a Dainese shop in Bangkok where I could get some essential gear I did not have (or not find, due to sizes and Asian cut) in Thailand, I am hoping it can make a difference. Otherwise I am agreeing on the later posts here... I doubt, that I would were full kevlar jeans and full protective gear in town for a short commute in the heat of the day. At night, with the sun gone maybe but even then still the AC exhaust from cars is killing eveybody stuck in between them. Everybody wh did fight his way through Sukhumvit or Rama 4 on a Friday night knows what I am talking about. That sucks in any constellation. So still some room for improvement...

I just wish I there were options for decent test drives as we have them in Europe... where you get a bike for a full day.

Thanks to everybody contributing here. It was interesting to read and did learn a bit.

I really enjoy the 'what bike should I get' threads as it's like 'fantasy bike shopping! smile.png

But your list has a big price range? Normally there's budget constraints as well as the practical touring vs city considerations.

From your list I reckon the CB650F is the best value/capability option that fits your needs of city, fun rides and not for touring, and the Ducati is in a different price band.

The 500X direct competitor would be the Versys - which has more power and weight and is a lower cost alternative to the Hypermotard.

One thing to consider about heat is that with city riding the heat is more of an issue for the rider than the bike - and bigger/heavier bikes take more physical effort to wrangle through traffic and this creates more body heat.

Do you not fancy the Ducati Scrambler? Slim and light enough for traffic.

The amazing price point of the MT-07 in other countries will not translate 1:1 to the price in Thailand, the big Yamahas are all imports from Japan and even though the import duty is declining gradually to 0, it's still more expensive by a big margin than locally made bikes.

Regarding the CB650F: just go test ride it. Also the seating position is completely upright for your height (0 degree lean angle, check cycle-ergo.com).

In general just test ride as many bikes as you can. If one is not available for test rides, don't buy it and tell them why. Dealers need to learn.

Also do some research about Yamaha service quality here. I don't know if it's good or bad but there are not many Yamaha big bikes around so investment into servicing is likely on the lower side. They kinda have a chicken-egg problem going on. No proper dealer network so noone buys the bikes and because noone buys the bikes they wont invest in dealers or a local factory...

For Kawa, Honda, Ducati you can always find a dealer around BKK who does the job acceptably.

The amazing price point of the MT-07 in other countries will not translate 1:1 to the price in Thailand, the big Yamahas are all imports from Japan and even though the import duty is declining gradually to 0, it's still more expensive by a big margin than locally made bikes.

Regarding the CB650F: just go test ride it. Also the seating position is completely upright for your height (0 degree lean angle, check cycle-ergo.com).

In general just test ride as many bikes as you can. If one is not available for test rides, don't buy it and tell them why. Dealers need to learn.

Also do some research about Yamaha service quality here. I don't know if it's good or bad but there are not many Yamaha big bikes around so investment into servicing is likely on the lower side. They kinda have a chicken-egg problem going on. No proper dealer network so noone buys the bikes and because noone buys the bikes they wont invest in dealers or a local factory...

For Kawa, Honda, Ducati you can always find a dealer around BKK who does the job acceptably.

Love the cycle-ergo.com site. Thx for the info!

I am still working around a bit with the kinks but it seems to help answer a few basic questions.

Service is indeed a factor I do consider and I did no research on Yamaha yet. Though it seems for big bikes they have very little presence in Bangkok.

Agree on test rides. I am working hard for them... so far, very little success. Even as a seasoned farang with decent appearance and appropriate credentials, I do not get a bike for longer then 15 mins.

I would be willing to rent some of these bikes if possible. Even that is hardly possible in BKK. The few big bike rentals around here have a rather weird selection - for my taste. Does not help me at all.

I really enjoy the 'what bike should I get' threads as it's like 'fantasy bike shopping! smile.png

But your list has a big price range? Normally there's budget constraints as well as the practical touring vs city considerations.

From your list I reckon the CB650F is the best value/capability option that fits your needs of city, fun rides and not for touring, and the Ducati is in a different price band.

Correct observation. And good that you enjoy it rather being annoyed by it.

Let me answer it this way: I was originally hooked on the 2015 Multistrada S, which will not be available for me locally produced before Oct this year.

The import S model is currently priced with 1,4+ Mio THB the old S was around 1 Mio at the with big discount - nobody wants it anymore. BTW, I just have been in Florida on business where the imported 2015 Multistrada S goes for 19.700 USD which equals roughly 650k THB. That is less than half from here. That sucks big time... ah, and available in first week of April, even in white... gnarl

Anyway... back to my point, compared to a Multistrada or BMW GS 1200 the price range we are talking here (around 300k-500k) is a bargain... the whole "fun bike for town" idea hit me rather unexpected but hard.

...and yes I am aware that I can't compare those and I do have a distorded view on that because I am greedy for a fun toy, eager to get that into my hands... human I might argue.

I agree with you, a good price point is always a very convincing reason. For instance, when the 500k price of the Hypermotard compared to eventuall 330k vor a Kaw Versys 650 + 250k for a Yam MT-07. That would be a sweet solution.

I will sure buy a touring machine anyway... somewhat later.

...also without the heat experience from the Ducati, I would have never started this thread.

Edited by foodieontour

I would be willing to rent some of these bikes if possible. Even that is hardly possible in BKK. The few big bike rentals around here have a rather weird selection - for my taste. Does not help me at all.

Pop Carrent in CNX has the CB650F for rent, along with others. Been a while since I rode by, but give them a call to check what they have available. Or pop carrent facebook has a list.

Just be aware that no first class insurance available.

I will again beat the drum for the V650 2015, it's an awesome bike for the money but perhaps not quick/power enough for some?

The little adjustable windscreen is very well designed and me at 1.86 cm runs it at lowest settings and can go very fast without felling much wind but heard some take it all the way up for rainy riding (not yet tried, if it rains, I take my truck).

It get many positive comments from Thais when I stop for red or a thumps up, the green Kawa color suits it very well.

I can't get comfortable on a CBR650, I had a couple of test sits on a few and can fell it's not for me, perhaps at +50 years old I have become a comfort animal.

The Versys is one of the most versatile mid class bikes on the market, hence the name versys= versatile systemrolleyes.gif

No test rides to be had on the V that I know of (perhaps in BKK?) so I took the chance with mine but read all the test/forums I could find on-line before buying it and no regrets for my limited budget.

I will again beat the drum for the V650 2015, it's an awesome bike for the money but perhaps not quick/power enough for some?

The little adjustable windscreen is very well designed and me at 1.86 cm runs it at lowest settings and can go very fast without felling much wind but heard some take it all the way up for rainy riding (not yet tried, if it rains, I take my truck).

It get many positive comments from Thais when I stop for red or a thumps up, the green Kawa color suits it very well.

I can't get comfortable on a CBR650, I had a couple of test sits on a few and can fell it's not for me, perhaps at +50 years old I have become a comfort animal.

The Versys is one of the most versatile mid class bikes on the market, hence the name versys= versatile systemrolleyes.gif

No test rides to be had on the V that I know of (perhaps in BKK?) so I took the chance with mine but read all the test/forums I could find on-line before buying it and no regrets for my limited budget.

I concur. Arguably the best bang for bike at this price point. Great in the city, excellent for touring Sufficient power for 99% of situations in Thailand.

I agree on most aspects of your comment. And yes two weeks ago when I started this thread I was very close to 'just get it' meaning the Versys, because they had one in stock (black) in my dealer close by. I do prefer the black one because I can't stand the Kawa Green and no other color option available here.

Actually without a minor weird story where I did test drive it and felt a little cheated from the shop, I would probably bought one. That is another story.

Now, a week later I am glad I did not, because the Versys might be an awesome bike yes but for 'fun in town' maybe not a great option. If not living in Bangkok I would probably have a very diffrent view on that.

Also... I might consider the Versys as a (somewhat) touring option for later, to go to Chiang Mai or such with the bike...

to the Versys:

- the boxes and all the utilities are a cool option - not for town though

- I want the wind... so the windscreen would have to go off

- seating position is ok for me, not that awesome though (90cm inseam length makes it hard in any case)

- engine is not very emotional

- power is ok but lacks excitment... yes enough for a most situations but sometimes I want be able to feel more... for instance, most of the time I drive a car like a grand dad on valium, still I do apreciate a sizable amount of horsepower for the few times where needed or enjoyed.

- heat from the engine is there... much less than Ducati though

- overall a smart, good but somewhat emotionless decision

...that is my thinking

Edited by foodieontour

I am talking about the CB650F which is quite different seating position from a CBR, much more upright, also the bike looks much cooler IMO.

CBR would not work for me anyway, as all the racers are just not my cup of tea.

I agree on most aspects of your comment. And yes two weeks ago when I started this thread I was very close to 'just get it' meaning the Versys, because they had one in stock (black) in my dealer close by. I do prefer the black one because I can't stand the Kawa Green and no other color option available here.

Actually without a minor weird story where I did test drive it and felt a little cheated from the shop, I would probably bought one. That is another story.

Now, a week later I am glad I did not, because the Versys might be an awesome bike yes but for 'fun in town' maybe not a great option. If not living in Bangkok I would probably have a very diffrent view on that.

Also... I might consider the Versys as a (somewhat) touring option for later, to go to Chiang Mai or such with the bike...

to the Versys:

- the boxes and all the utilities are a cool option - not for town though

- I want the wind... so the windscreen would have to go off

- seating position is ok for me, not that awesome though (90cm inseam length makes it hard in any case)

- engine is not very emotional

- power is ok but lacks excitment... yes enough for a most situations but sometimes I want be able to feel more... for instance, most of the time I drive a car like a grand dad on valium, still I do apreciate a sizable amount of horsepower for the few times where needed or enjoyed.

- heat from the engine is there... much less than Ducati though

- overall a smart, good but somewhat emotionless decision

...that is my thinking

Nothing wrong with you thinking that way, thankfully we all think differently or we would all be riding the same bike and that would be boring as hell.

Motard or MT09 sounds like it something for you man or Hyperstrada which I tried last year, loved it.

Then you can fit the windscreen back and mount the side cases and you are ready for heading to Chang Mai and back for a good weekend trip, no need to buy 2 bikes unless money is not a problem for you.

In the end of the day, it's your choice and your money so go for whatever rock your boat.

Now now a Kawa has to be green off-coursewink.png , mine have a lot of black all the right places (engine, wheels) which make washing it much easierbiggrin.png

One thing to consider about heat is that with city riding the heat is more of an issue for the rider than the bike - and bigger/heavier bikes take more physical effort to wrangle through traffic and this creates more body heat.

City/sun/ AC exhaust heat - yes, that's the worst

Ducati Scrambler?.... hmm, I do not fancy this retro style bikes. Do I miss something?

I guess the deciding factor would not be the bike itself but the riders I experienced of those retro things... I associate them strongly with doushey (just my experience - not ment as offence to anyone)

City/sun/ AC exhaust heat - yes, that's the worst

Ducati Scrambler?.... hmm, I do not fancy this retro style bikes. Do I miss something?

I guess the deciding factor would not be the bike itself but the riders I experienced of those retro things... I associate them strongly with doushey (just my experience - not ment as offence to anyone)

Give it a spin and see how you like it. Ducati is happy to do test drives. Suffice to say, it does not handle nor perform like a retro bike.

What bikes did you test drive so far?

What bikes did you test drive so far?

Just The Ducati HyperMotard and the new Kawasaki Versys 650.

Honda does not let me, Yamaha FZ-07 is not available in TH yet... (I heard it will be presented on next weeks Motorshow)

Beside opportunity... time is an issue... I am 2-3 weeks per month away on business. And last week in BKK I had so much work, no progress at all on the motorbike.

...but frankly, I guess I will order next week a Hypermotard

Hm Honda Bigwing Phuket was happy to let me test drive the CB650F for half an hour, surprised they don't offer that in BKK.

Instead of the MT-07 I would try the MT-09 which is available in TH, but not sure if they have a test drive model as it's import and they dont seem to sell many.

You might get a deal at the motorshow for the Hyper if you are lucky. BTW I don't have a great experience with Ducati Thonglor with my current order, takes ages and a couple pokes to get replies even by SMS (noone there seems to reply to mails at all) so maybe give the Vibhavadi branch a try. Some people on this forum posted good things about them and I've read they are the most modern service station in SEA. Gonna give these guys a visit beginning of April to shop around for some accessories and apparel.

Hm Honda Bigwing Phuket was happy to let me test drive the CB650F for half an hour, surprised they don't offer that in BKK.

Instead of the MT-07 I would try the MT-09 which is available in TH, but not sure if they have a test drive model as it's import and they dont seem to sell many.

You might get a deal at the motorshow for the Hyper if you are lucky. BTW I don't have a great experience with Ducati Thonglor with my current order, takes ages and a couple pokes to get replies even by SMS (noone there seems to reply to mails at all) so maybe give the Vibhavadi branch a try. Some people on this forum posted good things about them and I've read they are the most modern service station in SEA. Gonna give these guys a visit beginning of April to shop around for some accessories and apparel.

- Honda BigWing in Rama 3 in Bangkok does not give any test rides. Other shops deny on the phone test rides too

- MT-09 is horribly overpriced in TH. From 8.000 USD (which equals ~240.000 THB) they come up with 435.000 THB as the local price - buh

- Hypermotard is with 500k THB comparibly OK in TH, also I do consider the used bike value... the demad for the Hypermotard in Bangkok is high, selling it should be easy

Ducati shops: As far as I know Thonglor and Vibhavadi branch belong to the same owner, and have the same high(er) reputaion when it comes to quality of support and service. That's what I can say from lots of Facebook & Phantip feedback. I plan to order at Vibhavadi branch.