Bangkok 117th among cities for quality of living

webfact

SURVEY
Bangkok 117th among cities for quality of living

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Vienna has secured top spot in Mercer's annual quality-of-living survey while Bangkok placed 117 out of 230 cities. Baghdad was last.

European cities dominated the top spots along with major cities in Australia and New Zealand.

Zurich, Auckland and Munich are ranked second, third, and fourth while fifth-placed Vancouver is the highest-ranked city in North America and the region's only city in the top 10.

Singapore (26) is the highest-ranked Asian city while Dubai (74) is the top-ranked Middle East and African city. Montevideo in Uruguay (78) takes the top spot for South America.

In the US, San Francisco (27) is followed by Boston (34), Honolulu (36) and Chicago (43). New York City and Seattle are both ranked 44.

Behind Singapore, the second highest-ranked city in Southeast Asia is Kuala Lumpur (84). Manila is ranked 136 and Jakarta 140.

"As with last year's survey, we continue to recognise emerging cities that are increasingly becoming competitors to traditional business and finance centres," Mercer said.

"These so-called second-tier emerging cites are investing, particularly in infrastructure, to improve their quality-of-living standards and ultimately attract more foreign companies."

Mercer conducts its quality-of-living survey annually to help multinational companies and other employers compensate employees fairly when placing them on international assignments. Employee incentives include a quality-of-living allowance and a mobility premium. Mercer's Quality of Living report provides information and hardship-premium recommendations for over 440 cities throughout the world.

"Taking a short- or long-term work assignment in a new country is both an exciting and challenging experience for employees and their families," said Slagin Parakatil, the principal at Mercer.

"Cultures, societies and comparatively different climates, as well as political instability, high crime rates and poor infrastructure can be difficult to navigate and settle down in for employees and their families.

"Employers need to assess whether their staff and families will encounter any drop in quality of living when relocating and ensure they are fairly compensated for it."

Asia is the region with the largest range in quality-of-living standards, Singapore's 25th place compared to Tajikistan city Dushanbe's 214th spot.

Topping the ranking across East Asian cities is Tokyo in 44th place.

Other key cities in this part of the region include Hong Kong (70), Seoul (72), Taipei (83), Shanghai (101) and Beijing (118). Notable emerging East Asia cities include South Korea's Cheonan (98) Taiwan's Taichung (99).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Bangkok-117th-among-cities-for-quality-of-living-30255399.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-06

Pollution, worst traffic jams in the world, lack of green space, terrible for cycling and walking, mono cultural, and as ugly as sin.

Yes but all of that was true of KL just 30 or 40 years ago...and although it's a much smaller city it has managed to address those issues and make tremendous strides.

I come from Vancouver, have lived in Bkk for over 12 years. I go back for 2 -3 weeks per year for fishing and hunting and family but the only way I am ever going back there to stay would be feet first.

I guess if I had kids I might reconsider. Thank God for condoms (big size, don't care if they fall off. I guess I am Thai now)

• Like 1

Why is it behind New York by so much? Just proves that this "survey" is b/s not to be taken seriously. New York is a third world roach infested rustic hell hole. Agree about Bern though.

Oh well, I guess music and the arts are just not your thing. The roaches are a lot bigger in Bangkok.

And yet you have masses of foreigners wanting to live here.... can't be all that bad..... there are always things that can be improved... some of it they are laying the foundations for (transit), cleaning up the khlongs for boat transit..... yes, it could use more park areas but a lot of cities are in the same boat with that....

Pollution, worst traffic jams in the world, lack of green space, terrible for cycling and walking, mono cultural, and as ugly as sin.

Yes but all of that was true of KL just 30 or 40 years ago...and although it's a much smaller city it has managed to address those issues and make tremendous strides.

Go ask the KLites today and they will tell you that traffic jams is much worse off and all green space have been overtaken by ugly buildings and the above ground light rail tracks. Live there for 12 years and really not much different from Bangkok, Jakarta or Manila.

But...but...we just read how Thailand was number one in the economy happiness index...? How can this low number be? Must have been some fat old drunk disgruntled ex-pats that were asked about Thailand's quality of living...no REAL man would have said anything bad about the Thai culture...

Why is it behind New York by so much? Just proves that this "survey" is b/s not to be taken seriously. New York is a third world roach infested rustic hell hole. Agree about Bern though.

Oh well, I guess music and the arts are just not your thing. The roaches are a lot bigger in Bangkok.

NYC is a roach-infested hell hole? Pray tell, how often have you lived in or visited the Big Apple, and, in which of the five boroughs did you hang your hat?

Edited by lifeincnx

NYC is a roach-infested hell hole? Pray tell, how often have you lived in or visited the Big Apple, and, in which of the five boroughs did you hang your hat?

Roaches are a lot bigger in South America where some can grow to the size of 15cm (6 inches)..... but then their are different species of cockroaches.... I don't see the point of the size of different species of cockroaches....

Yet, Monocle loves BKK. That is most likely because they actually immersed themselves in the city with an open and sharp mind, rather than the insipid "analysis" you provide.