Clean-up of idyllic island off Phuket finally begins

Lite Beer

Clean-up of idyllic island off Phuket finally begins
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1425729799_1-org.jpg

The excavator starts work. The illegal bridge can be seen at the left of the picture.

PHUKET: The cleaning up of a filthy garbage-clogged klong on idyllic Racha Yai Island has begun.

For several years the klong has been jammed with garbage, the clean-up itself bogged down in disagreements between officials and a local resort owner.

Today (March 7), however, with a metaphorical push from Vice Governor Suthee Thongyam, backed by the Royal Thai Navy, an excavator waded into the septic stream and began to remove blockages.

The canal was blocked with garbage at two points, holding back stagnant water. The most unsightly was close to Siam Beach where trash jammed the canal and spilled onto the sand, thanks to an illegal bridge built across the stream by the resort.

In December 2012, Vice-Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosuthirak ordered relevant departments to investigate and prosecute the builders of the illegal bridge, This was not done.

The source of the garbage was impossible to verify, but it, too, is not a new problem. More than two years ago Sarit Jandee, president of the Racha Yai Conservation Club, complained about a growing informal dump on his land.

Today Mr Sarit said, “Everything has depended on business owners and officials. Before, it was hard but now officials can do [their duty]. Only one resort stood against the solution. But, it is happening now that the canal is being dug out.”

The Director of the Phuket Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Centre (MCRCC), Thanet Mannoi, said, "I have been very worried about the waste water in the klong, which has been damaging the environment. It is high time we got this done."

Rachen Pantarakit, Assistant officer of Rawai Municipality said, “This waste water has polluted the island for more than five years. Before this resort built [the bridge], there was no problem about water in canal.

“Everything works better if people agree to help each other. In the past, it was hard because some of them would not work with us. But we talked this morning and now we can work on [the clean-up]. It will be successful, I believe.”

Capt Boworn Promkeawngam, Chief of the Security Office of the Royal Thai Navy 3rd Fleet base in Phuket, said, "I am glad that we have started to clean things up. Before, it was hard to do this because a local businessman resisted the work.

“But I came to talk with him and everything is okay now."

Natthakrit Ponlaphet, Director of Phuket Environmental Office, explained before the clean-up began that it should not take more than two weeks and would be funded by the Rawai Municipality.

The illegal bridge is scheduled to be knocked down in two weeks’ time.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/clean-up-of-idyllic-island-off-phuket-finally-begins-51300.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-07

If I understand correctly, "cleaning" the filthy garbage-clogged klong means unclog it and let all the filthy garbage freely flow to the sea. Nice!

Just thinking exactly the same thing but isn't this normal practice here anyway.

I think twice before I go into the sea anywhere around Phuket

• Like 1

Incredible how a business man can continue to argue against his rubbish dump being cleaned for 5 years.......local government people are such a gutless, kowtowing breed of people really!

Gutless and kowtowing when they are being paid to be

.Probably the money ran out or someone paid a bit more

Incredible how a business man can continue to argue against his rubbish dump being cleaned for 5 years.......local government people are such a gutless, kowtowing breed of people really!

Gutless and kowtowing when they are being paid to be

.Probably the money ran out or someone paid a bit more

Maybe you have not noticed, but things are changing at the moment. When the higherups say something has to be done it will be done.

“But I came to talk with him and everything is okay now." More like i went and told him listen you filthy dumb ass bully boy. It is coming out, any more and your in for the firing squad. The solution to pollution is dilution ''drown to bar stool''

There is a similar thing in Samui. The Big Buddha Temple is built on a small islet. A road was built to the Temple but it is a solid thing built from the seabed and up. This has blocked the flow of water around the inside of the islet and has created a backup of fetid water and rubbish. Also, the sand below the water line has turned into an oily sludge. The answer is simple and applies to this bridge on Racha Yai, simply build large 'pipe' like tunnels through the road below the water line to allow water-flow again. By the way, Koh Racha Yai (and Noi) are idyllic? Been to both, they're not idyllic!

There is a similar thing in Samui. The Big Buddha Temple is built on a small islet. A road was built to the Temple but it is a solid thing built from the seabed and up. This has blocked the flow of water around the inside of the islet and has created a backup of fetid water and rubbish. Also, the sand below the water line has turned into an oily sludge. The answer is simple and applies to this bridge on Racha Yai, simply build large 'pipe' like tunnels through the road below the water line to allow water-flow again. By the way, Koh Racha Yai (and Noi) are idyllic? Been to both, they're not idyllic!

The term idyllic could have been applied ten or so years ago but then the concrete mixers moved in.

What is not idyllic about Racha Noi?

Did I read correctly, "idyllic island of Phuket"? What a bullshit, I have been there 35 years ago and recently in January of this year. I will NEVER return again, because it is the contrary of an "idyllic island". Destroyed by greedy Thais who look after the fast money.

• Like 1

Did I read correctly, "idyllic island of Phuket"? What a bullshit, I have been there 35 years ago and recently in January of this year. I will NEVER return again, because it is the contrary of an "idyllic island". Destroyed by greedy Thais who look after the fast money.

No you didn't read correctly.

May I recommend an optician close to the big roundabout in Phuket Town?

• Like 1