Bangkok Bank Swift Code

I have recently moved to Australia.I am banking with Westpac.i have tried to transfer money to Bangkok Bank,Chiang Mai branch online.The swiftcode is BKKBTHBK.

Always worked from Ireland

However Westpac is not accepting it,saying it is either

BKKBTHBKXXX or

BKKBTHBKTRD.

Can anybody advise on this.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1. Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK, the one and only code for everyBangkok Bank branch throughout Thailand. You should provide this to the overseas bank or person making the funds transfer via SWIFT to your account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

• Like 2

I have recently moved to Australia.I am banking with Westpac.i have tried to transfer money to Bangkok Bank,Chiang Mai branch online.The swiftcode is BKKBTHBK.

BKKBTHBKXXX or

BKKBTHBKTRD.

Thanks.

In my experience it is usual for the XXX to be added to the end of 8 digit swift codes, or sometimes other letters, so it makes sense that BKKBTHBK would not be accepted without extra letters on the end. When in doubt i ask the receiving bank to let me know the full swift code and id ask to confirm if its XXX or TRD on the end, or both. Edited by paddyjenkins

You would most likely use the one ending with XXX which refers to the primary office...it's the only SWIFT code I've ever used for Bangkok Bank. The one ending with TRD deals with their bonds trading branch. The last three digits are optional and are used to identify a specific branch.

See these weblinks for more info

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/Pages/InwardFAQs.aspx

http://www.swift-code.com/thailand/swift-code-bkkbthbktrd.html

• Like 2

I bank with Westpac in Australia and have been using BKKBTHBKXXX as the Bangkok Bank swift code for the past 4 or 5 years without any problems. I send online and if I do it before about 2 pm AEST the money will be in the Bangkok Bank account by mid afternoon on the following day.

many banks are moving to the 11 digit swift code. just put xxx after the original code

I would agree with "HooHaa".

http://www.theswiftcodes.com/thailand/

According to the website above BKKBTHBKTRD is only for bond trading so I would definitely not use that.

It makes complete since if banks are preparing ahead of time for SWIFT codes going to 11 characters then they would require you to place a "XXX" at the end of what you use to use.

FROM WIKIPEDIA

The latest edition is ISO 9362:2009 (dated 2009-10-01). The SWIFT code is 8 or 11 characters, made up of:

• 4 letters: Institution Code or bank code.
  • 2 letters: ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
  • 2 letters or digits: location code
    • if the second character is "0", then it is typically a test BIC as opposed to a BIC used on the live network.
    • if the second character is "1", then it denotes a passive participant in the SWIFT network
    • if the second character is "2", then it typically indicates a reverse billing BIC, where the recipient pays for the message

as opposed to the more usual mode whereby the sender pays for the message.

• 3 letters or digits: branch code, optional ('XXX' for primary office)
Edited by oneday

many banks are moving to the 11 digit swift code. just put xxx after the original code

The 3 additional numbers at the end of the Swift Code is the individually stated number of the Clients branch, the first "3" numbers are part of the clients account number, each BKB branch has a different 3 starting number in front of their clients bank numbers..

The Bangkok Branch account numbers contain 10 figures as follow X X X - X X X X X X - X and the first "3" numbers state the position of the branch.

The transfer of the Swift Code BKKBTHBK-XXX will be received by ... Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited in Bangkok ... and the last "3" numbers of the Swift Code do outline to them he bank that has to receive the transfer routing for the account holder.

Edited by personchester

I had this trouble with Westpak in Aussie a business customer of ours tried to send to my National Bank in NZ and they said it was wrong I told my customer to tell them to use it he did and I received it, they have lot of the codes wrong, use the code the other guy gave you and tell Westpak to use it.

BKKBTHBKXXX or

BKKBTHBKTRD.

Thanks.

In my experience it is usual for the XXX to be added to the end of 8 digit swift codes, or sometimes other letters, so it makes sense that BKKBTHBK would not be accepted without extra letters on the end. When in doubt i ask the receiving bank to let me know the full swift code and id ask to confirm if its XXX or TRD on the end, or both.

In my experience until I changed banks (the branch,) the U.S. bank didn't want to proper supervise. The person I had to deal with (local small beach town) didn't know or care about their job. Now it gets done within the hour. New branch manager, etc. The swift you have is correct.

The 3 additional numbers at the end of the Swift Code is the individually stated number of the Clients branch, the first "3" numbers are part of the clients account number, each BKB branch has a different 3 starting number in front of their clients bank numbers..

The Bangkok Branch account numbers contain 10 figures as follow X X X - X X X X X X - X and the first "3" numbers state the position of the branch.

The transfer of the Swift Code BKKBTHBK-XXX will be received by ... Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited in Bangkok ... and the last "3" numbers of the Swift Code do outline to them he bank that has to receive the transfer routing for the account holder.

Absolutely not true, banks do not have individual SWIFT codes for individual branch offices. They will have their main SWIFT code used for normal payments, and some banks will also have a few extra codes used for special purposes when deemed necessary (as for instance the one quoted in earlier posts by Bangkok Bank used for payments related to bonds trading). If the OP tries to put his branch code at the end of "BKKBTHBK" the payment is guaranteed to fail as no such SWIFT code will exist.

Sophon

From the Bangkok Bank website

"Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK, the one and only code for every Bangkok Bank branch throughout Thailand. You should provide this to the overseas bank or person making the funds transfer via SWIFT to your account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand."

• Like 1

I transfer from both ANZ and St George banks in Australia to Bangkok Bank here regularly using BKKBTHBK. No problems at all and have never been asked for anything else. The same when I transfer from the UK and from Hong Kong to Bangkok Bank. It sounds like it depends on what bank you are transferring from rather than the bank you are transferring to that requires different things.

I transfer from both ANZ and St George banks in Australia to Bangkok Bank here regularly using BKKBTHBK. No problems at all and have never been asked for anything else. The same when I transfer from the UK and from Hong Kong to Bangkok Bank. It sounds like it depends on what bank you are transferring from rather than the bank you are transferring to that requires different things.

The software of some remitting banks is able to process the eight-digit SWIFT code, possibly most banks.

Absolutely not true, banks do not have individual SWIFT codes for individual branch offices. They will have their main SWIFT code used for normal payments, and some banks will also have a few extra codes used for special purposes when deemed necessary (as for instance the one quoted in earlier posts by Bangkok Bank used for payments related to bonds trading). If the OP tries to put his branch code at the end of "BKKBTHBK" the payment is guaranteed to fail as no such SWIFT code will exist.

Sophon

Your reply in indicative of the fact that you did not understand what was stated here, because several banks that transfer via Swift Code use slightly different applications such as ...

1). Bank Name Bangkok Bank

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Payment reference A/c: Name ------ ------

-----------" ------------ A/c : Number XXX--XXX XXX -X

---------------------------------------------

2). Bank Name Bangkok Bank

Swift Code BKKBTHBK -- XXX

Payment to A/c Number XXX - XXX XXX - X

-------"------- A/c Name. -------- --------

3). Bank Name Bangkok Bank

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Branch Code XXX.

Transfer to A/c holder -------- --------

-------" ----- A/c Number XXX - XXX XXX - X

It is well known that the '3' branch code figures that are at the end of the Swift Code are not part of the 8 figured Swift Code ... they are the firsts 3 parts of all the clients branch account numbers and the 8 figured Swift Code is not involved in it and is 100 % independent.

Sophon

Your reply in indicative of the fact that you did not understand what was stated here, because several banks that transfer via Swift Code use slightly different applications such as ...

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Branch Code XXX.

It is well known that the '3' branch code figures that are at the end of the Swift Code are not part of the 8 figured Swift Code ... they are the firsts 3 parts of all the clients branch account numbers and the 8 figured Swift Code is not involved in it and is 100 % independent.

You stated:

"It is well known that the '3' branch code figures that are at the end of the Swift Code are not part of the 8 figured Swift Code ... they are the firsts 3 parts of all the clients branch account numbers"

Again, there is no '3' digit branch code at the end of the SWIFT code. Technically all SWIFT codes are 11 characters, but most banks only state their main code with 8 characters, and their systems know to add the 'XXX' before processing the payment. This is necessary because all SWIFT messages require 11 character SWIFT codes. The three additional characters can be digits or letters, and some banks have additional SWIFT codes for special purposes to separate for instance institutional payments from normal customer payments. But in no case is the branch code at the end of the SWIFT code. It wouldn't make any sense anyway, as the SWIFT standard is international and very few countries have three digit branch codes.

To take your examples:

1:

No mention of a three digit branch code:

2:

If the 'XXX' field at the end of the SWIFT is a required field, it would (in the case of Bangkok Bank) have to be filled in with the characters "xxx". Using the Thai branch code would cause the payment to fail, as the SWIFT code including the branch code would not exist.

3:

The branch code field is a separate field and not "at the end of the SWIFT code". It has nothing to do with the SWIFT code field. The SWIFT code identifies the bank and the branch code identifies the branch. Unless sending bank has made it a required field it should not be necessary to fill in the branch code, as Thai bank account numbers are unique, i.e. no two customers in a bank will have the same account number.

I did work 13 years in an international bank developing internet banking systems for corporate customers, which included international payment systems, so I do know how SWIFT codes work.

Sophon

Sophon

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Branch Code XXX.

The entire Bangkok Bank branches are alright to receive the clients transfers from the 8 figured Swift Code produced by the "Bangkok Bank Head Office in Bangkok.

All the electronic Swift Code transfers arrive at the BKB Head Office in Bangkok and they make the payments to their applied branches.

The BKB Head Office in Bangkok gives each of his opening branches three official numbers to create their individual code.

To place these three code numbers at the end of the Swift Code is not causing a Swift Code failure because the BKB Head Office knows that the number belongs to the receiving branch.

There is no transfer confusion about it, because the Swift Code consists of 8 letters and the Branch code consists of 3 numbers, but it does not need to be done because the three branch code numbers are the 3 front parts of the customers account numbers. i.e. XXX - XXXXXX -X .

In many cases the first 8 will suffice.

It may depend on the system the details are being entered into whether it accepts 8 digits only 11 digits or either.

The XXX at the end refers to the primary code for the bank in that country.

So for banks that only have one SWIFT code per country there's only one code to go to and you can add XXX if the system will only accept 11.

The last 3 digits get used by banks for different purposes.

eg BBL uses TRD for its bond trading desk to differentiate from its primary one XXX.

eg in some countries the last 3 digits can be used for branches among other things. If you google and look at Stan Chart globally

SCBLCNSXBJG and SCBLCNSXSHA

are used for Stan Chart China Beijing branch and Stan Chart China Shanghai branch respectively.

I had to go thru similar to OP for my bank in Singapore a couple of years back when they updated their IT systems. Previously could use 8 then internet banking insisted on 11.

If you fill in the paper version and give it to a bank clerk they should know which is needed. (Not always tho :) ) but for internet banking if forced to enter 11 digits most retail customers will be ok with the XXX one if in doubt and it's not obvious.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Sophon

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Swift Code BKKBTHBK

Branch Code XXX.

You stated:

"It is well known that the '3' branch code figures that are at the end of the Swift Code are not part of the 8 figured Swift Code ... they are the firsts 3 parts of all the clients branch account numbers"

Again, there is no '3' digit branch code at the end of the SWIFT code. Technically all SWIFT codes are 11 characters, but most banks only state their main code with 8 characters, and their systems know to add the 'XXX' before processing the payment. This is necessary because all SWIFT messages require 11 character SWIFT codes. The three additional characters can be digits or letters, and some banks have additional SWIFT codes for special purposes to separate for instance institutional payments from normal customer payments. But in no case is the branch code at the end of the SWIFT code. It wouldn't make any sense anyway, as the SWIFT standard is international and very few countries have three digit branch codes.

To take your examples:

1:

No mention of a three digit branch code:

2:

If the 'XXX' field at the end of the SWIFT is a required field, it would (in the case of Bangkok Bank) have to be filled in with the characters "xxx". Using the Thai branch code would cause the payment to fail, as the SWIFT code including the branch code would not exist.

3:

The branch code field is a separate field and not "at the end of the SWIFT code". It has nothing to do with the SWIFT code field. The SWIFT code identifies the bank and the branch code identifies the branch. Unless sending bank has made it a required field it should not be necessary to fill in the branch code, as Thai bank account numbers are unique, i.e. no two customers in a bank will have the same account number.

I did work 13 years in an international bank developing internet banking systems for corporate customers, which included international payment systems, so I do know how SWIFT codes work.

Sophon

thank you, i was going to respond to this nonsense, but could not be bothered as the OP had been provided enough information to complete his transfer without the need for replies to become pedantic. Sophon was however quite obviously wrong despite his vast "expertise"

Probably the best way to transfer money to Bangkok Bank in Thailand is to transfer your funds to the Sydney branch and they will make a direct payment to the CM branch for you. It cuts out the middle man who will also charge a handling fee, like HSBC. They have been known to change currency into baht despite the funds being sent to a FCD (Foreign Currency) account.

Edited by Anon999

Forgive me if I am wrong here. My UK pension, went BKK bank asked for the swift code, they said they didn't use swift....w00t.gif ...So took all the banks details and passed it on to the UK........Noo probs with paying into my BKK bank account.

Electronic transfers from UK banks to the BKB branches in Thailand can be done by two different transfer procedures, either via the "Swift Code" or via the "BACS System"

The "Swift Code" goes of course directly to the BKB Head Office in Bangkok and then within 2 or 3 days the sum reaches the branch of the account holders bank.

The "BACS System" goes firstly to the BKB branch in London, then the BKB London branch sent the transfer to the BKB Head office in Bangkok, and then after about one week to sum reaches the branch of the account holders bank.

The UK bank costs via the BACS System is lower than the costs via the Swift Code.