for the colorblind

robblok

It will be harder and harder to get a license, don't go to mochit as you can't beat that test.

Today I went for a new m/c license, this was the 3rd extention. I did not need a health certificate.

They had a traffic light to test colorblindness, a color came at random at the light (it did not stay on the same place all the time). So this would be impossible to cheat if your colorblind.

I saw someone fail it and I saw someone fail the reaction test. They did not get a license.

If this test gets implemented elsewhere you guys are screwed

I don't agree with all the rules here either (mostly about m/c's) so i can understand that some of the colorblind would find it unfair.

This was just a heads up.

Funny this popped up, I was talking to a Thai colleague today who was bemoaning the new colour blindness / peripheral vision test.

He failed, but apparently can go to the hospital to get a certificate of some sort and they will issue a licence, "This guy is blind, please issue a driving licence".

There was a Thai guy complaining about the reaction speed test saying he has had a driving license so long why did he get denied only because he failed this. Its not that bad you just have to step on the brake when a red lights appears.. i mean if you cant do that you should not be in traffic (not talking about colorblindness but about the reaction speed)

Did not like the video.. it was projected in a too brightly lid room with bad audio and while this was for the motorcycle test (maybe they combined car and m/c I dont know as I was just extending it) it was only about cars. Plus it was all in Thai.. I do speak Thai.. and could understand part of it but with bad audio and bad image it made it all harder.

Funny this popped up, I was talking to a Thai colleague today who was bemoaning the new colour blindness / peripheral vision test.

He failed, but apparently can go to the hospital to get a certificate of some sort and they will issue a licence, "This guy is blind, please issue a driving licence".

Be interested to know if that's true as I'm colour blind myself. Something that just popped into my head, how do the profoundly deaf get on with applying for a licence? The only time it could be a real concern if you couldn't hear a fire engine, ambulance etc, or even another motorist trying to warn you of something.

Be interested to know if that's true as I'm colour blind myself. Something that just popped into my head, how do the profoundly deaf get on with applying for a licence? The only time it could be a real concern if you couldn't hear a fire engine, ambulance etc, or even another motorist trying to warn you of something.

I think deaf might be a problem too.. i mean you lost a complete sense. Then again some drive with music so loud that they don't hear a thing and I heard of friends who drive m/c with sounds in their helmet (though that might be just as bad as a radio playing in a car depending on volume).

There was a Thai guy complaining about the reaction speed test saying he has had a driving license so long why did he get denied only because he failed this. Its not that bad you just have to step on the brake when a red lights appears.. i mean if you cant do that you should not be in traffic (not talking about colorblindness but about the reaction speed)

Did not like the video.. it was projected in a too brightly lid room with bad audio and while this was for the motorcycle test (maybe they combined car and m/c I dont know as I was just extending it) it was only about cars. Plus it was all in Thai.. I do speak Thai.. and could understand part of it but with bad audio and bad image it made it all harder.

One Thai hit Fast Forward a bit,,no one noticed.I Read my Email.n watched U Tube.Complete Farce/

I think deaf might be a problem too.. i mean you lost a complete sense. Then again some drive with music so loud that they don't hear a thing and I heard of friends who drive m/c with sounds in their helmet (though that might be just as bad as a radio playing in a car depending on volume).

You're not actually tested for hearing and I guess if you can read lips you might be able to answer any questions. Never heard of anyone who's deaf applying for a licence though, but I'm sure it happens. If legless and armless drivers can get licences, being deaf shouldn't pose any major problems.

• Like 1

You're not actually tested for hearing and I guess if you can read lips you might be able to answer any questions. Never heard of anyone who's deaf applying for a licence though, but I'm sure it happens. If legless and armless drivers can get licences, being deaf shouldn't pose any major problems.

I am divided... i mean as long as they are no danger to others I am ok with it.. but hearing is important.. color blind.. I guess you can anticipate and work around it. Arms and legs gone.. ok as long as they are as good a driver and able to drive as others.

Well, if your legless, armless, deaf and blind maybe there is a doctors certificate for that. Couldn't be any worse than some able bodied (DELETED) I have seen!

color blindness abnd other vision impairments mean you see less...THIS IS DANGEROUS! - I have a colleague who is color blind, I noticed this as a result of his driving - unable to tell types of road sign and failure to anticipate a traffic light.

After he made these mistakes, i asked if he was "OK" - he casually told me he was color blind so "drove differently" from some people .

i won't go in a vehicle drive by him any more.

color blindness abnd other vision impairments mean you see less...THIS IS DANGEROUS! - I have a colleague who is color blind, I noticed this as a result of his driving - unable to tell types of road sign and failure to anticipate a traffic light.

After he made these mistakes, i asked if he was "OK" - he casually told me he was color blind so "drove differently" from some people .

Absolute <deleted>. I suppose you think left-handed people drive differently as well? There isn't a colour blindness test in most countries, only an eyesight test, so there's your theory shot down in flames.

your reply - especially your facetious comments about left-handedness, simply high-lights your lack of knowledge of the matter - yes there are color-blind tests in other countries...

http://wereadbetter.com/7-jobs-that-you-are-prohibited-from-with-colorblindness/

Absolute <deleted>. I suppose you think left-handed people drive differently as well? There isn't a colour blindness test in most countries, only an eyesight test, so there's your theory shot down in flames.

your reply - especially your facetious comments about left-handedness, simply high-lights your lack of knowledge of the matter - yes there are color-blind tests in other countries...

http://wereadbetter.com/7-jobs-that-you-are-prohibited-from-with-colorblindness/

If colour blindness was as crucial to driving as you suggest, it would be compulsory in all countries, when clearly it's not. I am colour blind, you are not, I think I know a little more about the subject than you, and your comments and lack of knowledge on the subject clearly indicates that.

..and I'm left-handed - QED!

"If colour blindness was as crucial to driving as you suggest, it would be compulsory in all countries, when clearly it's not." - you DO realise that this is a fallacious argument??

Edited by cumgranosalum

laugh.png

I fail to see how being colorblind would be a problem? I mean once you have learned that red is on top of a traffic light and learned the road signs, what is the issue?

"I fail to see" - is the main problem.

assuming a strong red/green blindness which is your example - traffic lights.

The position of lights at junctions is of course not always the same - especially in Thailand - s if driving at night all one sees in the distance is a "muddy" light - firstly one has to decide this is a traffic light, then one has to decide what part of the sequence it is and then take an appropriate action - none of this is necessary for a non-colour-blind driver and it could so easily lead to a dangerous situation.

you might also consider the problems with warning lights on dash boards, various other warning lights in traffic, brakes, indicators road works emergency vehicles. In broad daylight this is bad but all of this is especially of concern at night

When driving we don't actually "READ" signs, we react subliminally and roads signals and signs are designed with this in mind - being color-blind takes away several elements of this subliminal thought process and can result in dangerously long reaction times or worse still no reaction at all ........I'm seriously concerned that people like giddyup are still driving around the same roads as myself.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Fair enough cumgranosalum but then why do many countries with much stricter laws not require that particular test? I've had 5-6 different licenses over the years and do not recall ever being checked for color blindness.

I fail to see how being colorblind would be a problem? I mean once you have learned that red is on top of a traffic light and learned the road signs, what is the issue?

There isn't an issue. A simple eyesight test would make more sense.

Just to let you know what we from the 'Colonies - i.e. Canada' have ...

Color blind test is look into a viewfinder - think submarine periscope, in this is a paper with various colored dots of various sizes. Hidden in these dots is a number.

You must tell the DOT what that number is. No number - no license.

post-81192-0-80844600-1425972965_thumb.j

"I fail to see" - is the main problem.

assuming a strong red/green blindness which is your example - traffic lights.

The position of lights at junctions is of course not always the same - especially in Thailand - s if driving at night all one sees in the distance is a "muddy" light - firstly one has to decide this is a traffic light, then one has to decide what part of the sequence it is and then take an appropriate action - none of this is necessary for a non-colour-blind driver and it could so easily lead to a dangerous situation.

you might also consider the problems with warning lights on dash boards, various other warning lights in traffic, brakes, indicators road works emergency vehicles. In broad daylight this is bad but all of this is especially of concern at night

When driving we don't actually "READ" signs, we react subliminally and roads signals and signs are designed with this in mind - being color-blind takes away several elements of this subliminal thought process and can result in dangerously long reaction times or worse still no reaction at all ........I'm seriously concerned that people like giddyup are still driving around the same roads as myself.

If you had half an inkling as to what colour blindness actually is, your arguments might hold some water. You seem to think that if you are colour blind you see in black and white. You don't. I can distinguish between green and red and yellow, it's only when they are mixed together on the colour chart that it's a problem. I can also read a number plate clearly from a 100m away, so my vision is not affected. I've also been driving for 55 years with only one accident that wasn't my fault. So perhaps you can point out where my colour blindness presents a problem?

• Like 1

Color blind test is look into a viewfinder - think submarine periscope, in this is a paper with various colored dots of various sizes. Hidden in these dots is a number.

attachicon.gifColor Blind.jpg

If that's what was put in front of me at the Thai licencing I could say it was definitely a 12.

attachicon.gifColor Blind.jpg

Can I apply for a Canadian license? The number is obviously 423.17wink.png

If that's what was put in front of me at the Thai licencing I could say it was definitely a 12.

Good to Go !

If only it was that easy. I still have a couple of years left on my 5 year licence (don't ask how I passed the color test), don't know how I'll go when I have to renew it.