You chose to retire in Thailand

phinick

I'm addressing this primarily to those over 55 who have decided to retire in Thailand. I'm curious as to:

1. How long have you been in Thailand?

2. Are you satisfied that you made that decision, and what are your thoughts about living there.

This is not a troll. It is simply my curiousity since I'm about to retire there.

Thanks for any input.

1. Yes i chose to live here..., and now its coming up to 5 years.

2. Happy as ''Larry'', great quality of life, happy with it all, the only draw back for ''ME'' is , ''Driving'' its so so dangerous out there..

like i said, happy....

it works for me, but maybe not everyone...

• Like 2

Travelled to LOS more than 30 times over a 10 year period. Now living here for just over 12 months. Should have moved here permanently 10 years ago.

Extremely happy & more relaxed than I can ever remember.

Driving in Bangkok can be a bit of a nightmare if you're not prepared and or confident. I've driven over 17,000k in the past 12 months... no problems except a couple of speeding fines.... but

that's another story.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for & your expectations. Be prepared to compromise at times. I'm happy to answer your questions, PM me if you like.

Cheers..... Mal.

1. Retired at 55, been here 10 months

2. Pattaya rules, warts and all, but I will take another look at Cambodia when Songkran rolls around, simply because the older we get the less likely we are to make a move and I promised myself I would experience something different in retirement. The '6 months here then try something new' sounds great until you start accumulating possessions.

• Like 1

I have been here on & off for 24 years. I decided to retire here because infrastructure is a lot better in Thailand than the Philippines or Cambodia.

I have seen many changes over the years some good some not so good. I have been here for 3 Military coup and this one is a lot different.

Thailand is going through a difficult time right now, some people are trying to stop the corruption but it will never happen. I saw the same thing when Marcos was run out of the Philippines, everyone said that is the end of corruption but no it just got more expensive. I think the same will happen here.

Edited by Jessi
  • Like 1

I've been here full time for over one year and half but having living next door (China) for over twenty year and visiting regularly (bought a house in Bangkok) for the past fifteen years.

Based on my personal experience and those of a number of people I met over the years, I say you can be happy in Thailand if you follow a few rules :

1. Money doesn't buy happiness. It's not because you're relatively more wealthy here than in your home country that it will automatically make your life better or easier.

2. Rely on yourself to solve your daily problems and definitively not on half educated people who maybe have your best interest at heart but are not qualified for the task. It's my experience that you can always find a qualified person who can speak english willing to help if asked nicely.

3. Don't start a business, especially a bar, restaurant or resort, if you have no prior experience. You can't become an entrepreneur at 60 when you've been an employee all your life. There is a learning curve that can be painfully expensive especially when it is paid from your retirement fund.

4. Rent, don't buy. Thaland is not a place that favor long term commitment. Of any kind.

5 . Finally stay in touch with your family and friends back home. You may want to have place to go back if for a reason or an other it doesn't work out the way you like it here.

Beside that, take it easy. Thais are very easy going people, don't sweat the small stuff and you can enjoy many years of happy retirement in Thailand.

6. I almost forgot this one. Pay attention to your personnal appearance, Thais are very sensible to it. A clean shirt and a smile can take you a long way in Thailand.

Very good advice.

• Like 1

Yes, I chose to retire in Thailand, then changed my mind! As it is, I just spend 3-4 months a year there now, as my (Thai) wife likes Canada better, but of course she needs to see her family every year.

There was a time not long ago when the only thing I wanted was to stay in Thailand all the time. I think you know why.

From knowing some expats in Thailand, a few of them wish they had a "bolthole," (a place to go if things go south, or you need a break from Thailand after X amount of years, IE: about 7 years after the honeymoon phase ends..) like an expat I know fairly well, a 22 year stay in Phuket has him now yearning for England, even to visit, but he sold everything in the UK, and has no one there now.

I've only been in Thailand about 3 years total in 3-4 month increments, and eventually I started to appreciate Canada like the wife does, so it's the best of both worlds.

I read the post title, but chose to put in a different perspective. Hope you didn't mind.

Options and choices can come in handy sometimes, as stress buster.Yes, I chose to retire in Thailand, then changed my mind! As it is, I just spend 3-4 months a year there now, as my (Thai) wife likes Canada better, but of course she needs to see her family every year.

There was a time not long ago when the only thing I wanted was to stay in Thailand all the time. I think you know why.

From knowing some expats in Thailand, a few of them wish they had a "bolthole," (a place to go if things go south, or you need a break from Thailand after X amount of years, IE: about 7 years after the honeymoon phase ends..) like an expat I know fairly well, a 22 year stay in Phuket has him now yearning for England, even to visit, but he sold everything in the UK, and has no one there now.

I've only been in Thailand about 3 years total in 3-4 month increments, and eventually I started to appreciate Canada like the wife does, so it's the best of both worlds.

I read the post title, but chose to put in a different perspective. Hope you didn't mind.

Options can come in handy sometimes, real handy..in case you change your mind one daygiggle.gif

2. Pattaya rules, warts and all, but I will take another look at Cambodia when Songkran rolls around, simply because the older we get the less likely we are to make a move and I promised myself I would experience something different in retirement. The '6 months here then try something new' sounds great until you start accumulating possessions.

Staying in Pattaya won't help your moniker, but branching out to Cambodia will assist in the matter, I agree about less is more, but I learned that the hard way too.

I got stuck on the third one or so(read Thai woman), and never did get a chance to branch out further..laugh.png

Congrats thumbsup.gif on getting it done at 55.

I guess I took the OP a little too literally when he posted this (bolding is mine):

I'm addressing this primarily to those over 55 who have decided to retire in Thailand. I'm curious as to:

1. How long have you been in Thailand?

2. Are you satisfied that you made that decision, and what are your thoughts about living there.

This is not a troll. It is simply my curiousity since I'm about to retire there.

That seems like a fairly specific set of parameters to me. I'll admit that number 2 is a doozy - no two TVers are identical (cyber dopplegangers notwithstanding) but relocating your life halfway around the world is a major decision and I respect the fact that he's willing to listen to pros and cons. That said, when I decide on my next destination I wont be basing that on the opinions of anyone on a forum that I haven't met face-to-face. Good luck, OP.

Staying in Pattaya won't help your moniker, but branching out to Cambodia will assist in the matter, I agree about less is more, but I learned that the hard way too.

I got stuck on the third one or so(read Thai woman), and never did get a chance to branch out further..laugh.png

Its just a board name, but for some reason many here seem to get hung up on it and the avatar - beats me. I suspect that many here see Cambodia as a backward step from Thailand, but its 4 years since I last set foot in PP and I'm hopeful that there have been a few changes. No personal attachments to worry about - in Pattaya, that would have been a seriously bad idea given my limited social circle but I've never been much good at longterm relationships anyway.

As for 'getting it done at 55', I readily admit that I was at the point where one more week in an office looked a lot like a year in a coal mine. Not at the stage of some of the 'minimalists' here in Pattaya but that sort of penny-pinching was never in my DNA. We pay our money and we take our chances - I assume the OP realises that.

1. how long is a piece of string

2. living here is more a case of not living elsewhere. satisfied? no.

move? when you are at the top it is only down hill that you can go but i still keep an eye out for possibilities and occasional reconnaissance.

Edited by peni ferret

1. 12 years

2. Yes. Retiring to Chiang Mai has been one of the best decisions of my life. While IMHO it's not as good as when I moved here, it still beats my home country, the US, hands down. I leave every March and April due to the air pollution.

If you're doing both things at once, retiring and moving to Thailand, it can be quite a shock. I went from working full speed to a dead stop in about two days. Took a while to believe it was real.

Edited by mesquite

why are you only interested in primarily over 55 year olds comments.

some people retire early, lucky me wai2.gif

55 is early, although technically you can get the extension of stay from 50. Given that I wanted to move here from roughly 2000 when the departure lounge really started to get to me, the 14 or so years before I was able to do so seemed like an eternity but given that I wouldnt have been eligible for any sort of government pension payment until 67 - another 12 years - it was an easy decision. The current Treasurer in Oz has been making noises about the need for Australians to work into their 70s - hilarious stuff when you consider how few employers are interested in anyone over the age of 50. I know - shrewd investments at 30 yada yada - but the majority of his audience are happy if they can make it from week to week.

I've been here full time for over one year and half but having living next door (China) for over twenty year and visiting regularly (bought a house in Bangkok) for the past fifteen years.

Based on my personal experience and those of a number of people I met over the years, I say you can be happy in Thailand if you follow a few rules :

1. Money doesn't buy happiness. It's not because you're relatively more wealthy here than in your home country that it will automatically make your life better or easier.

2. Rely on yourself to solve your daily problems and definitively not on half educated people who maybe have your best interest at heart but are not qualified for the task. It's my experience that you can always find a qualified person who can speak english willing to help if asked nicely.

3. Don't start a business, especially a bar, restaurant or resort, if you have no prior experience. You can't become an entrepreneur at 60 when you've been an employee all your life. There is a learning curve that can be painfully expensive especially when it is paid from your retirement fund.

4. Rent, don't buy. Thaland is not a place that favor long term commitment. Of any kind.

5 . Finally stay in touch with your family and friends back home. You may want to have place to go back if for a reason or an other it doesn't work out the way you like it here.

Beside that, take it easy. Thais are very easy going people, don't sweat the small stuff and you can enjoy many years of happy retirement in Thailand.

6. I almost forgot this one. Pay attention to your personnal appearance, Thais are very sensible to it. A clean shirt and a smile can take you a long way in Thailand.

Hi op very good advice you are giving the op but one thing on the money thing you say money dose not buy happiness you said , now if you did not have money could you be in a place like thailand with out money I think not I am one who say if you don't have money you have nothing and don't get me wrong I have been there in my life with no money and I never ever want to be there again so money buy anything you want look at the thai , how sad thais are when not have money ok land of smiles yes but behind the smile a lot are sad and not just thais people all over the world are the same cheers .

Home is what you want and what you make it.

irrespective of where and when and what it is down to you home is your concept,your dream or your nightmare.

Personally at nigh on 70 years young I am happy here and have been so for 24 years working and retired .

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

What has your name (moniker) got to do with anything Pattaya or Cambodia?

Excellent advise. I'm in a position to observe many new expat retirees in Chiang Mai and see how they adjust and also I assist long-time expats who get themselves into difficulty.

To the above advice, I'd add:

1. Have your finances in order, with the ability to access emergency funds here in Thailand i.e. a local bank account. Don't try to keep all your funds in your home country.

2. Get health insurance or at least personal accident insurance. If this isn't possible, have a plan for what will happen if you're suddenly incapacitated and can't travel

3. Develop a few good friendships within the local foreign community -- good people who know how to get things done (legally). They'll come to your aid when you get into trouble.

4. Pay attention to your health and fitness -- perhaps join a gym or take up a hobby that involves activity like swimming or hiking.

5. Make an effort to learn the Thai language. Formal classes will help to keep your brain active and you'll have a better appreciation of the local culture. At least learn numbers, how to give directions and be able to explain where you live.

Also, if you live in Chiang Mai and can afford to do so, leave during March and April, for your health!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807185-chiang-mai-hospitals-warned-of-worsening-smog/?utm_source=newsletter-20150310-0743&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

moved here in my fifties, wish I had done it a lot earlier but making the most of it now. Very happy with my decision as I have so much more going for me here, living costs are great, I dont have any pressure on me, do basically as I like. I am not a drinker so dont go to the bars/clubs that seem to screw up so many expats, and dont hang out with expats either, much prefer spending time with my wife and family plus her old uni friends. Moving here was the best thing I have done apart from my daughters, it is what you want it to be, a few bitches occasionally but overall its great. As stated above, get yourself a hobby or an interest, makes it even better

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2