Does anyone know how much water those clay water jars hold?

Kenny202

Thanks mate. Great info. We're in the same boat. Luckily were starting to get some storms now. I have cut the town water completely. It's either off or mud. Have 2 1000 liter tanks and 3 ongs I can pump with a submersible to our main tanks. So far so good

• Like 1

The ongs as seen in post #3 are typical sizes.

From a Thai website:

an ong about "neck height" (assume 1.5 / 1.6 m?) has 1800 to 2000 l (appr. 500 US gallons).

http://www.lifecivil.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=73f1d879cb05b833182969ac7d9c1d9f&topic=4657.msg28496#msg28496

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks mate. Great info. We're in the same boat. Luckily were starting to get some storms now. I have cut the town water completely. It's either off or mud. Have 2 1000 liter tanks and 3 ongs I can pump with a submersible to our main tanks. So far so good

I have 7 tanks on the side which are not plugged into the system and that is where the fire truck pumps the water into. I bought a pond pump last month for 1,500 baht and using a 1inch to 3/4 stepdown I can pop the pump into an ong and connect it with 3/4 inch blue piping (push fit only) to any other ong to fill it. Switch it on and walk away and if the pump runs dry it has a thermal cut out. Chuck it into the next ong and by the time I move the pipes it is good to go again.

My ideal would be to build 2 or 3 - 10 x 4 x 2 metre tanks into the ground with a concrete slab roof and an access manhole. That would give me 80,000 litres per tank but the cost would come out to a bit over 1 baht per litre of water so a 10 x 4 x 2 tank giving me 80,000 litre would be, including a good Grundfos pump and the new pipework, around 100,000 baht. The tanks following that would come in around 85,000 baht each.

Edited by billd766

Weigh it, I think the weight of the jar can be ignored, or for perfect accuracy you could weigh an empty one.

One litre weighs a kilogram!

Do you have one of those scales fishermen use?

Fishermen use scales that can weigh 1.5 - 2.0 tons?

• Like 1

go get a gallon jug and fill the container up! Don't forget your count as you refill the jugs.

Thailand uses the metric system of litres and kilograms.

Which gallon jug would you use as a standard measure, Imperial or US?

A quick comparison table a bit further down the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems

If you are talking about the concrete ongs I have 27 of them.

The maximum they hold is 1,700 litres but the outlet is up a bit and the maximum useable is around 1,500 litres.

Where I live in Khampaeng Phet province the government water supply stops every year for a couple of months. This year however it stopped in the middle of january and IF we are lucky it will come back in time for Songkran in another month. If not It will be during the rainy season which is due in May.

Sometimes we get a delivery by asking the Tessaban and thyey send the fire truck along but we haven't seen that for over 2 weeks.

attachicon.gifNormal water storage_resize.JPG

Good onya mate,good to see you are organised.

For anybodys information I am in the process of replacing all the plumbing pipework as it has been the for 7 or 8 years.

I started at 06.30 (it was nice and cool then) on a row of 4 tanks and on one tank as I cut the old piping out the concrete around the 1/2 female connector on the ong just fell apart.

Fortunately I had drained the tanks anyway and I also had some 2 part glue and spare connectors. I had to cut the shoulders off the female connector as it is only about 1/4 into the outside of the ong. The first try fell off and I mixed a bigger batch of glue and having put the 2nd connector on I taped it then went for breakfast. It was OK by 10.00 but I went down to the village to get more bits for the next row and a small bag of cement to renew the broken stuff. I will do that this evening when it gets cooler again and finish the rest tomorrow.

The really good news was that the fire truck topped up my 6 spare ongs (first water delivery in 3 weeks and it only cost me 3 cold Leos) so I will have some cross pumping to do and empty the next row of ongs ready to replace the pipework.

The plastic pipe is good for drinking water?

We only use the water from the ongs for general household and kitchen use. For drinking water we us a couple of 3,000 litre stainless steel tanks and decant from them.

I suspect that 95% or more of the houses, condos etc in Thailand use that plastic pipe and if it is hidden from the sun and the uv rays it is quite harmless.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, but about how much does an ong / cement pot cost?

The last ones I bought about 5 years ago were 1,000 baht each, with concrete lids, delivered to site and put in place only once. If you need it moved afterwards you need a couple of people, and empty the ong and a bit of luck as they can break. They also come with 2 x 1/2 inch blanking plugs.

When they are full they are close to 2 tons in weight.