Ever seen a "Roto-Tiller" in Thailand?

bigguy

Bought a small tiller for the garden in the US recently. Needed a narrow one, to get around the plants etc, decided on a Honda FG110, very happy with it. But was a bit surprised when I noticed the label on the tiller, stating MADE IN THAILAND. Beats me why they don't sell that here as well! Cost? About half of what a bit of a bigger machine cost here, second-hand import from Japan,looked ok but starting up with great difficulties...

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2015 at 5:10 PM, pigeonjake said:

personaly, i think they will bounce all over the place with the hard soil here, i had one in the uk and it bounced there at first,

i think youll be pi££ing in the wind

I would have thought that it is pretty obvious that you have to wet the ground thoroughly before hand, after all it is a Tiller not a Kango !

All of the ones I have looked at here are overpriced and junk quality. The chain drive on them is my biggest complaint, I mean how hard is it to make it with a gear drive to the tiller ? http://www.nihonmono.com/product-hand_tractor-type_39.html in bkk imports some nice used equipment from japan which looks to be much higher quality than what I see here.

On 01/04/2017 at 10:14 AM, alfieconn said:

I would have thought that it is pretty obvious that you have to wet the ground thoroughly before hand, after all it is a Tiller not a Kango !

Bought a Kubota TD700 last month.

Got to use it this week for the first time after some decent rain.

Ploughed first then rotvated. Great bit of kit, especially round young rubber.

Bought a Kubota TD700 last month.

Got to use it this week for the first time after some decent rain.

Ploughed first then rotvated. Great bit of kit, especially round young rubber.

Is your model description correct? I did a google search but didn't give much results.
Or if not big hassle for you, just post a picture here.
Thank you!

No, sorry, TVF won't upload photos >1mb and I would have to get the laptop out, download the photos, resize and post from there. Might give it a go tomorrow. They call them hand tractors here.

There is a version of the 2-wheel tractor made by Kubota that has a power take off (PTO) to which a rotary tiller is attached. See here: http://www.siamkubota.co.th/product/tillers/453-PEM1408-แข็งแกร่ง-ทนทาน-ได้งานคุณภาพ 

I first learned about it at wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_tractor#Thailand 

For years before moving to Thailand (in 1998) I had roto tillers in the US and used them often.  I thought for sure I would have one after moving here, because I have rural properties and I like to farm small-scale.  However, I never got one.  Initially, it was because I could not find one for sale, even tho there are dozens of large farm-supply shops in Chiang Rai.  15 yrs later, I saw some for sale, but they looked awful in terms of unsteady.    

Now, I'm doing less farming, and am not actively looking for a roto-tiller.  However, if the right type showed up for a good price, I might buy it.  I particularly like 2nd hand things.  I'm a recycler and a cheapskate.   If there were flea markets or thrift stores in Thailand, I'd be there weekly.

9 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Hope you didn't cut the roots of the rubber trees, like they do with bonsai trees.  

Rubber 3 y/o. Probably the last year we'll plough but shallow roots not yet fully developed usually year 4/5 and canopy starts to close.

Shallow roots don't start growing again until about a month into the rainy season. Will start fertilizing after Songran.

Our year 9 rubber we don't touch except weeding out large shrubs and pulling out grasses. And digging in fertilizer obviously.

IMG20170409121133.jpg

On 09/04/2017 at 4:13 PM, CLW said:

Is your model description correct? I did a google search but didn't give much results.
Or if not big hassle for you, just post a picture here.
Thank you!

IMG20170412085336.jpg

Greetings all you farmers and want to be farmers,
Growing up in the US on a farm we always has a roto-tiller for the smaller garden areas. I live up in Isan and I've been looking everywhere for a tiller. As usual the hardware store employees look at me like I've got 2 heads and just walk away.
Has anyone seen a tiller for sale anywhere??
Thanks,
Bigguy

Hi big guy, I have this one for sale. I'm near Nakhon Pathom

IMG_1059.JPGIMG_1063.JPGIMG_1060.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect