Is this a condominium bargain……… or a sign of difficult times?

Asiantravel

I am noticing in the Pattaya condominium market some developers are now offering their properties for sale on the basis that the developer will guarantee a minimum rental over a fixed number of years.Of course this is not a new idea and in fact rental guarantees have been criticised harshly by some sceptics.

But some developers are even going as far as also offering to purchase the property back after a certain period at the original purchase price. And for commitment to an even longer period of ownership in some cases they are offering to purchase the property back at a higher price in the future than the sale price now.

I’m quite intrigued as to what is making some developers do this. Is it simply a way of them increasingly liquidity to allow them to develop even more buildings? Are real estate developers now finding it more difficult to raise finance through conventional means so this way they can recoup working capital even if it’s only temporary.

But I also wonder what are the risks to the buyer? For example all I seem to hear about now is the growing prospect of deflation in the global economy. A bit like what happened in Japan after 1990 and ever since then that prices slowly deflated and then stagnated. Like air escaping from a tyre.

Under this kind of scenario, how would the real estate development company be able to afford to buy back a property in the future at a higher price if in the meantime real market prices have gone down.

I certainly think prospective buyers and the lawyers will more than any time before need to carefully read the fine print before signing any contract.

I’m just wondering if any TV members here have been presented with this opportunity and whether they think it’s a good idea or not?

But some developers are even going as far as also offering to purchase the property back after a certain period at the original purchase price. And for commitment to an even longer period of ownership in some cases they are offering to purchase the property back at a higher price in the future than the sale price now.

Yeah right cheesy.gif

I wholeheartedly share your scepticism of thislaugh.png

for a minute take this one step further and assume this " marketing concept " is being aimed at Chinese and Korean prospective buyers on the basis they will find the offer too good to miss.

Well anyway this is how they are hoping to shift their stock..............unsure.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

If anyone falls for this " marketing concept " ( i'd use another word ) they probably deserve what they get,though I'd still feel sorry for them.

For anyone thinking of buying ask for a big discount on asking price if they refuse then walk away there is a huge huge amount of condos

comming up for sale in the Pattaya/ Jomtien area the building never stops.

• Like 1

If anyone falls for this " marketing concept " ( i'd use another word ) they probably deserve what they get,though I'd still feel sorry for them.

For anyone thinking of buying ask for a big discount on asking price if they refuse then walk away there is a huge huge amount of condos

comming up for sale in the Pattaya/ Jomtien area the building never stops.

Look even though I am probably as sceptical as you (in my case you can even use the word cynical) but I don’t think you can say it’s the word you would like to use- provided the guarantees they offer could be legally enforced and that is a huge “if “.

For example putting the entire amount of money plus promised increases to the original asking price all in escrow. But then I would be very surprised if any developer agreed to that because it would tie up too much of their money.

It seems to me what they are counting on is capturing the interest of prospective foreign buyers as we gradually see interest rates on bank deposits dwindling to nothing (and in some cases even suffering the effects of negative interest rates). Many foreigners might see this as an opportunity to make the return they are being promised plus getting more money back later? Of course you and I know it entirely contradicts the realities of the property market in Pattaya.

And that was the reason for my question as to whether it's getting harder for developers to raise money in more conventional ways that they did in the past.

Where is this proposed ?

It's not proposed........ they are actually doing it now

Actually my neighbour has just started working for them doing this. I won't name the specific company but it's in the Pratumnak area.

He is now working full-time trying to find buyers in places like China and Korea because apparently (according to his employers) these two nationalities have already been buying condominiums as investments in Pattaya and there are high expectations that they will be an adequate substitute for the Russians who have left the scene.

I'm intrigued as to how they will identify overseas buyers anyway.

You are assuming that the 'Real Estate Development Company' will still exist when the time comes to honour these buy back 'promises'.

They are company promises not personal ones.

ThaidDown is exactly correct. The developer may be bankrupt by the time it proposes to buy back the units.

Where is this proposed ?

It's not proposed........ they are actually doing it now

Actually my neighbour has just started working for them doing this. I won't name the specific company but it's in the Pratumnak area.

He is now working full-time trying to find buyers in places like China and Korea because apparently (according to his employers) these two nationalities have already been buying condominiums as investments in Pattaya and there are high expectations that they will be an adequate substitute for the Russians who have left the scene.

I'm intrigued as to how they will identify overseas buyers anyway.

I just dont see the Koreans or Chinese as long term residents like the Russians were...The main times you see them is when they are following the flag.

• Like 1

Assuming legitimate developers with contracts of sufficient enforcement clauses to sue for any breach or default of contract, the deal sounds quite attractive. For the developer it's a matter of maintaining a high net asset balance sheet that would be used as a basis for borrowing equity on future projects, sacraficing short-term profit margins for long-term returns. The key to every developer's survival is having adequate inventory and ability to attract capital.

BUT how much security and guarantees can a buyer get from any developer regardless of the amount of due diligence performed? The cost of attorney fees alone for the buyer may turn the deal uneconomical. Like any risky investment, never gamble what you cannot afford to lose. For the investor that has a lot of nonperforming capital resources, this kind of deal would be worth the risks.

It's a genuine and real bargain offer, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to sign up for it. The only issue you may experience is that the company you signed up with will not be around anymore when you decide to claim your rights, but hey that are problems for later,

• Like 2

If the Developer doesn't perform as promised you can hire a Thai lawyer and fight it all the way to the Supreme Court for 5 years.

Fun.

Good luck finding a Thai lawyer that you can trust.

I've got a friend going after a development company now for several issues found after the unit was turned over. Basically, the developer told him to buzz off. He's getting a lawyer, but it's not going to be easy and it's not going to be cheap. He might actually just have to deal with the problems himself. Do some research on the development company first before signing any contract.

As for guarantees, I visited a development in Phuket several years ago that was offering "guaranteed" returns of some X percent a year as they would rent out the unit for you. I asked how they could do this with such a bad economy and stiff competition? Their reply, "guaranteed yes, but not this year". LOL I almost fell on the floor. Promptly walked out.

• Like 2

Yeah right cheesy.gif

This is Thailand and scams are not limited to taxis or tuk tuk

I have always thought Thailand property prices are over inflated, considering 50% of the population are still third world! the prices per sq m are on par with UK, <deleted>.

Do not fall for the (in the future) promise from developers, they can simply go into liquidation or name change and there's always the very very small print in the contract.

I showed some interest in a Condo project in Hua Hin 4 years ago, promotion in shopping malls and free visit, food and drinks to show house, site plans and scale models of the project. Trying to sell off plan, discounted of course, I didn't buy but out of interest, I visit the show house every year, they have sold 75% of the first condo block but they have only just started building so I imagine it will be another 2 years until the project is completed. Apparently they have only just received a licence to build. Feel sorry for the people that signed up 4 or 3 years ago and still waiting.

Over development now, just like Spain, I'm waiting for the crash.

• Like 2

I considered not writing anymore on this topic because it seems as though like Dirty Dog of Teak door at the time, there are those in common with Nero of Ancient Rome who will continue to fiddle whilst the city is burning.

Now if you are still dreaming of buying your condo in Pattaya and still cannot understand why it would be wrong maybe you should take a look at this Youtube link and the many like it from very astute world economists

​Listen to what is being said and the effect it will have on places like Europe as well as Asia

It may wake you from your dream of buying anything here in Pattaya

Edited by Rimmer
  • Like 2

I would imagine there is a lot of fine print, all of which protects the developer & makes the promise worthless. I would think something like they will deduct the price of all rent you have received from the buy-back price, or "subject to market conditions", subtract for wear & tear, etc. In the end, it ends up an empty promise. Do not bank on it having any value at all.

Problems with buying condos in Thailand

1. Visas are a pain now

2. Oversupply, they just keep building condos as that is the only thing they know how to do

3. Up keep: Management money rarely goes towards fixing broken elevators, pool care or making the lobby and hallways look good. Try reselling a condo in a run down looking building with a broken elevator.

There are exceptions. Properties connected to hotel chains would be safe if affordable.

Rents are so cheap, buying seems like a hassle.

• Like 1

Pattaya will end up like spain

can already see the signs... many condo's are only 50% sold so we already can see the bad times coming....

especially in Jomtien, sitting on my balcony i can see 7-8 new building sites. seeing my condo unit only have 50% empty units...

OP, yes it is a sign of difficult times....

• Like 2