US must not impose its idea of democracy: PM

Lite Beer

47TH WHARTON GLOBAL FORUM
US must not impose its idea of democracy: PM
THE NATION

30256005-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prayut says you cannot tailor one dress for everyone, and each country must take into account its problems

THE UNITED STATES should not try to impose a one-size-fits-all democracy on the rest of the world, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

Prayut took to the podium as a keynote speaker at the 47th Wharton Global Forum at a Bangkok hotel and used the opportunity to extend an olive branch to other nations.

He asked the audience, including alumni and faculty members of the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, to relay the message to the US.

"Please tell the United States that in tailoring you cannot just cut one dress and expects it to fit all. There must be many sizes for each to fit. That's why a tailor is needed. You cannot tailor one dress and expect the whole world to wear it. Each nation has its own problems that differ," said Prayut, adding that any aid from the US should be on the basis of equity.

Prayut said he was determined to strengthen Thailand's ties with other nations.

"For those countries that won't invite me, I'll send a deputy prime minister to visit instead. Even if the US won't let me visit, I am open for them to visit [Thailand] because we have longstanding relations lasting two centuries."

Acknowledging criticism that he was not elected and the fact that he seized power through a military coup last year, Prayut also sought to defend the military regime.

"I am still being criticised today, accused of making Thailand a bad example for governance in the world. I don't get it. Every country is watching us to see how Thailand will proceed and they are surprised that Thai people have no problem.

"And they think some groups of Thais do not want the country to be democratic. So they are puzzled. We told them Thailand is unlike others."

The prime minister, who left for an official visit to Japan yesterday afternoon, insisted that no matter what, Thailand will continue to seek closer economic, political and security ties with countries like Asean member states, China, South Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

"Today, we have relations with many nations. I ask all countries not to be angry at Thailand simply because of me. If there's any inconvenience today, I will clear it up.

"Please return and tell your country if there's any problem then let me know. I'll clear it up. There's no point to meet in a conference and just shake hands. We must be able to relate because we're friends," said Prayut, adding that Thailand has been rated as the happiest nation on Earth.

"Thailand has been rated as the happiest nation on Earth because we adhere to the philosophy of a sufficiency economy. We're moving ahead firmly and we must not become bankrupt."

He seemed to be referring to a recent analysis by Bloomberg News that put Thailand at the top of a list of the 15 happiest economies in the world, which included Switzerland, Japan, South Korea, China, the US, Malaysia and Germany.

Inflation and unemployment, two factors that make consumers unhappy, are remarkably low in those countries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-must-not-impose-its-idea-of-democracy-PM-30256005.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-14

This verse is no longer sung in the popular hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful - I dedicate it to the good General.

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3668059/The-story-behind-the-hymn.html

Anybody who still believes that there is such a thing as democracy in the US or other similar countries is very deluded.

Yu'p Thailand is different, and so is the EU and UK, NZ, AU, and Timbuktu is different as is every other country out there, so quite right, one size dose not fit all.

Now for the kicker, basic rights and freedoms that should come with any attempted legitimizing of a democracy, otherwise your just taking the p*ss.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so my opinion's have not one ounce of weight in the current situation, nor it's past or future, and a mature government would see that, UNLIKE some people here that openly call here on TV for the searching, detention and deportation from the country of some people as they don't agree with their views, and when called out on it try's to spin it instead of backing it up and the MODS need to do something about that, ie rules, ( not criticizing, just a suggestion)

Most of us are individuals, (people of the world) we have our own opinions and moral values, we set our own standards just as different countries do, Thailand is a sovereign nation and sets it own standards.

As for linking aid and politics, in this case the US has it's own laws it must follow and that of aid to a country under a military coup's weather the government like it or not.

alex88, " Anybody who still believes that there is such a thing as democracy in the US or other similar countries is very deluded".

Please , tell me why Australia is not a democracy?

• Like 2

Lee Kuan Yew have said this very same thing so many years ago, that Western concept of democracy and human rights will not work in Asia.

And there's nowhere that hides it's corruption better than Singapore.

Thanks to the Lee family.

So, democracy Singapore's style is so similar to that of USA...

"And they think some groups of Thais do not want the country to be democratic. So they are puzzled. We told them Thailand is unlike others."

All OK here folks. We've been having coups since almost day one. We are the HUB of Coups!

We have one every 5 or 10 years whether we need one or not!

• Like 2

The United States is not a democracy. It is a republic. Voters elect liars people to represent them in congress and the White House.

If the US were a democracy, we would not be going to war continuously; creating a pubic debt of tens of trillions of now worthless dollars; nor allowing illegal immigrants good jobs and social security and free school and medical.

No, Mr Couper, the US is not a democracy.

That is why it is doomed.

But then, Thailand ain't one either.

Tens of trillions? Have a look at the debt counter at Times Square.

Over a thousand and a half trillion?

Edited by trogers

The United States is not a democracy. It is a republic. Voters elect liars people to represent them in congress and the White House.

If the US were a democracy, we would not be going to war continuously; creating a pubic debt of tens of trillions of now worthless dollars; nor allowing illegal immigrants good jobs and social security and free school and medical.

Size clearly does matter! smile.png

Size clearly does matter! smile.png

That's why their aircraft carriers have aircrafts.

As always, Gen Prayut makes another unrestrained attack on the US in defense of his military-led government. His inelegant and bombastic condemnation of the US comes on the eve when a Thai delegation is going to the US to argue fair and balanced treatment on Thailand's listing with Tier 3 countries. This delegation was going to "help" the US understand that Thailand is meeting all its obligations in stopping and preventing human trafficking.

"We told them Thailand is unlike others." Thailand doesn't need US democracy but it wants unrestrictive access to all US markets.

So fine, the US is also unlike others, will also stand behind its democratic principles, and impose Tier 3 sanctions on Thailand because it DOES UNDERSTAND what Gen. Prayut stands for.

• Like 2

I was stating the "official" debt.

But yes, it is far more than that.

Then you have the 1.2 quadrillion debt of derivatives ...

Democracy comes from the people, not from the government. Thais have no desire/ability to achieve democracy, any more than the last few generation of Americans do.

Give 'em a couple of TVs, and a vehicle, some cheap food, and...what was the question??

• Like 2

Every dress needs material like every democracy needs involvement by the people in gubernatorial choices. The PM's tailor is sewing this wonderful new material that only Thai people can see. The beauty of it is it never goes out of style because it changes every day at his whim.