Prayut says US disallows him to travel to the states

Lite Beer

I find this very interesting. The PM of Thailand has been disallowed from going to the USA, while it allows an convicted criminal on the run from the law to go. The American law, as I understand it will not allow a visa to anyone that has been convicted in a court of law. It still allowed Thakisin Shinitawatra to travel to the US after he was convicted by the court for corruption, while his Brother-in-Law, was PM.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he is not permitted to travel to the United States.

Read the above bi line carefully. There is a difference between not being allowed to travel and not being invited.

I am quite sure the General can travel to the US when ever he pleases, being invited to a state dinner at the White House is a totally different thing.

So are you telling me that the Obama administration, caters to rich criminals, on the run, but not heads of state?

I find this very interesting. The PM of Thailand has been disallowed from going to the USA, while it allows an convicted criminal on the run from the law to go. The American law, as I understand it will not allow a visa to anyone that has been convicted in a court of law. It still allowed Thakisin Shinitawatra to travel to the US after he was convicted by the court for corruption, while his Brother-in-Law, was PM.

"It still allowed Thakisin Shinitawatra to travel to the US after he was convicted by the court for corruption"

Birds of a feather?

Mr T was convicted of a minor charge of a conflict of interest, not corruption however much people would have liked it to have been. He was the winner of two large majorities in elections and was illegally ousted. The present PM has, and never would be elected and gained power via an illegal military coup. The USA stands for democracy and is no friend of military Juntas, well unless it serves the interests of the USA, and this 'leader' obviously does not.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he is not permitted to travel to the United States.

Read the above bi line carefully. There is a difference between not being allowed to travel and not being invited.

I am quite sure the General can travel to the US when ever he pleases, being invited to a state dinner at the White House is a totally different thing.

So are you telling me that the Obama administration, caters to rich criminals, on the run, but not heads of state?

That is far too vague a question to warrant a serious answer.

"It still allowed Thakisin Shinitawatra to travel to the US after he was convicted by the court for corruption"

Birds of a feather?

Mr T was convicted of a minor charge of a conflict of interest, not corruption however much people would have liked it to have been. He was the winner of two large majorities in elections and was illegally ousted. The present PM has, and never would be elected and gained power via an illegal military coup. The USA stands for democracy and is no friend of military Juntas, well unless it serves the interests of the USA, and this 'leader' obviously does not.

Wall Street talk? Insider trading is a minor charge...? So what if some investors lose their lifetime savings...

coffee1.gif American forces are all over the globe and even in unlikely places like the UK, trying to help the world stop tyrants. Why are US Marines in Australia? Detractors from all over are against the only country sacrificing their riches and military lives for people who hate us. Is that you?bah.gif Why do posters sit around and make up garbage to take cheap shots at America?

what absolute rubbish, the US forces aren't in Australia to protect the country, they are there to use Australia's training facilities and welcomed to do so. The Australian terain/climate resembles that of the middle east. What is this crap that they are the only ones sacrificing thier riches and military lives. If you looked outside your little world you may actually find out that it costs Australia also and aussies have also given up thier lives.

That sort of ignorance and belittling of others is what causes the US to cop flak from the rest of the world.

Without access to American intelligence, spy satellites, military R&D and generosity, Australia (and NATO for that matter) would have little chance against aggression from a serious military power or modern terrorists.

Australian expenditure on military and security is peanuts compare to the US. Should things really go tits up with China and SEA, whose fleet do you think could protect Australia? The RAN ? How many carrier battle groups have you got, or nuclear subs, or long range missiles / bombers?

Australia's a great country with mostly, IME, really down to earth decent people. But it isn't and never will be a significant player on the world scene (apart from sports of course).

Large land mass, few people. You need at least a population of 100m to be significant. Presently, it is just a farang dominated third world country.

If the Poms had any sense they would have locked all the convicts up in cold, wet and miserable England and kept Australia for themselves. biggrin.png

(or are you guys just bagging Oz because of Chooky ?)

Birds of a feather?

Wall Street talk? Insider trading is a minor charge...? So what if some investors lose their lifetime savings...

Well dragonfly94 has coated it in sugar and rolled it in honey but the fact remains that Mr T is nothing more than a criminal who has been avoiding prison time since 2008 by putting himself in "self imposed exile" (God I love that expression!) cheesy.gif

Regarding his downfall, if he was "illegally ousted" he should take that up with whoever "ousted" him. Who was in power at the time ???? Hmmm...........

And the USA has been known to be friends of military juntas, do a little bit of research before making such blatantly bs comments (lies)

It may come as a surprise to find that other countries, or at least their newspapers, also have suggestions to make about the military takeover here.

While folk are getting their knickers in a twist about who the USA may or may not invite to their dinner table, there are a great many other countries which also have a view.

The latest UK "Guardian" has an interesting editorial, suggesting that the takeover hovers between farce and tragedy, reminiscent of Vichy France's "travail, famille, patri".

Certainly things whizzed along in the first weeks of the takeover, with a number of people with their fingers in the till being taken away, and the editorial commented on the farce of 'impeaching' a Prime Minister who was no longer in power, by an assembly who did not have the power to impeach.

To quote: " The tragedy, as this drifts on, is that Thailand is wasting time that it can ill afford. Its economy is faltering just when it most needs growth. The attempt to fix the country's political future should be abandoned. A return to democratic rule is overdue."

In the North, things do not seem to have changed. Regional airports are closed due to choking pollution and poor visibility: hospital admissions have gone up with respiratory and cardiac problems, most people are wearing facemasks: the police seem to be ineffectual in controlling motorists and motor cyclists, who break every rule there is. I won't even start on the abysmal Immigration offices the expat community has to tolerate.

Does the North have any representation in government?

Well no, no one except for those who are in the government has any representation - that is the nature of a junta government!

Given the fact that the north was, and still is the centre of the former (elected) governments power base, then I should imagine that the chances of them having any representation in the near future are very slim indeed.

That said, I had cause to call in to Chiang Rai Immigration office (which is about as far north as it gets) last week, and they were quick, efficient and very pleasant. In fact the only irritation was from the noise of aircraft landing and taking off from the adjacent airport, which was most definitely open!

F.Y.I. I did say "Regional airports". CNX is an international airport. Regional airports must have clear visibility of at least 5km.

Good to see a positive report about CMI.

It may come as a surprise to find that other countries, or at least their newspapers, also have suggestions to make about the military takeover here.

While folk are getting their knickers in a twist about who the USA may or may not invite to their dinner table, there are a great many other countries which also have a view.

The latest UK "Guardian" has an interesting editorial, suggesting that the takeover hovers between farce and tragedy, reminiscent of Vichy France's "travail, famille, patri".

Certainly things whizzed along in the first weeks of the takeover, with a number of people with their fingers in the till being taken away, and the editorial commented on the farce of 'impeaching' a Prime Minister who was no longer in power, by an assembly who did not have the power to impeach.

To quote: " The tragedy, as this drifts on, is that Thailand is wasting time that it can ill afford. Its economy is faltering just when it most needs growth. The attempt to fix the country's political future should be abandoned. A return to democratic rule is overdue."

In the North, things do not seem to have changed. Regional airports are closed due to choking pollution and poor visibility: hospital admissions have gone up with respiratory and cardiac problems, most people are wearing facemasks: the police seem to be ineffectual in controlling motorists and motor cyclists, who break every rule there is. I won't even start on the abysmal Immigration offices the expat community has to tolerate.

Does the North have any representation in government?

Well no, no one except for those who are in the government has any representation - that is the nature of a junta government!

Given the fact that the north was, and still is the centre of the former (elected) governments power base, then I should imagine that the chances of them having any representation in the near future are very slim indeed.

That said, I had cause to call in to Chiang Rai Immigration office (which is about as far north as it gets) last week, and they were quick, efficient and very pleasant. In fact the only irritation was from the noise of aircraft landing and taking off from the adjacent airport, which was most definitely open!

F.Y.I. I did say "Regional airports". CNX is an international airport. Regional airports must have clear visibility of at least 5km.

Good to see a positive report about CMI.

Actually he was takling about Chiang Rai. CNX, CMI is Chaing Mia Airport, Immigration.

I'm sure he knows the reasons why the US won't let him in, so there really wasn't any reason to reiterate their stance, I was just being facetious in my earlier post, and don't really see the big deal about not letting him into the USA.

I have a love hate relationship with the USA , many of them still support terrorist organisations such as the IRAQ and often fundraise on their behalf but yet have such a Hardon for Islamic terror groups?

They have lapse immigration laws when it suits, I personally know a lad who has lived and worked there for nearly 3 years with no SS card and no green card and is also a part time firefighter.

It's a great place to visit and I have many friends living all over the various states and I've never had a bad time or experience in th numerous times I've been. Oh apart from eating grits!!! That left me feeling very unwell!! 5555

America is no different from lots of other countries as in they think they're the best but in reality they're no better or worse it's all down to how you personally interact with the people that's makes it good or bad.

Just like here, I have more grief from farangs on this site than I have from Thais around my local area. ?

"....and don't really see the big deal about not letting him into the USA."

There's no deal, big or otherwise, he can go there but the US won't invite him.

You might find it very interesting also that Thaksin can travel on the passports he holds of countries where he does not have criminal record.

Edited by Sviss Geez

I'm sure he knows the reasons why the US won't let him in, so there really wasn't any reason to reiterate their stance, I was just being facetious in my earlier post, and don't really see the big deal about not letting him into the USA.

I have a love hate relationship with the USA , many of them still support terrorist organisations such as the IRAQ and often fundraise on their behalf but yet have such a Hardon for Islamic terror groups?

They have lapse immigration laws when it suits, I personally know a lad who has lived and worked there for nearly 3 years with no SS card and no green card and is also a part time firefighter.

It's a great place to visit and I have many friends living all over the various states and I've never had a bad time or experience in th numerous times I've been. Oh apart from eating grits!!! That left me feeling very unwell!! 5555

America is no different from lots of other countries as in they think they're the best but in reality they're no better or worse it's all down to how you personally interact with the people that's makes it good or bad.

Just like here, I have more grief from farangs on this site than I have from Thais around my local area. ?

Did you happen to read this headline, Geez?

"

"Prayut says US disallows him to travel to the states"

Are you suggesting he's a liar?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you'd expect from US admin, whether Obama's or any other President's, just a bunch of dummy spitters who think there's only one way.....USAway!

Wrong........Can't fix own probs, i.e. racial issues, healthcare, etc, etc, MYOB!!!

If you read CAREFULLY, you'll see that the US has not told him he can't come. The US is not in the habit of inviting coup leaders to the US for diplomatic visits. That said, if he wanted to go, he doesn't need an invite. As a head of state he would be admitted.

He's not head of state.

I think you have to read that article again.

It said the US is not inviting him in. It doesn't say, they banned him from entering the USA.

Slightly different. I'm sure there is absolute no problem for him to go on a quick shopping trip

to New York if he wishes.

Doesn't he state himself the USA disallows him to travel to the states ? Isn't that techno speak for "banned"

Isn't that not the very same thing as you're not allowed to stage protests? In other words protests are banned?

Semantics indeed, and I never said in my post any thing about him being banned ?

"I'm sure he knows the reasons why the US won't let him in..."

Semantics indeed, "wont let him in", "banned", no connection at all between those expressions.

The article is as clear as mud. Can he go or can't he? No visa? Maybe a visa? No invitation from Obama?

Clear as mud only to those who didn't read the OP in full. He can go, he won't be invited, of course he needs a visa.

The article is as clear as mud. Can he go or can't he? No visa? Maybe a visa? No invitation from Obama?

He would be labeled a diplomat, with said privileges. no visa required, getting into the White House, there then is another issue!

He's labelled as the leader of a military coup with said privileges.

cant go to Aussie either can he ?....for the same reason

He's seems to be speaking for the Americans again. His assumption just because Obama ain't invited him. The billionaire Wall St. connected Thaksin, a convicted criminal fugitive with 15 outstanding criminal court cases got a visa ok on a private visit, unusual for America. And the former PM Ms. Yingluck was always dropping hints about a "White House invitation" that never came.

Who America invites, allows in and doesn't invite or prohibits is there business. Hypocrisy is up the them.

As for Aussie - why would he want to visit a piss pot country with an idiot PM?

Excuse me but Australia, not "Aussie" is a great country and every bit as good as the USA. Besides, why would the Thai PM need to go to the USA anyway? What does the USA sell that I can find in Thailand? A few car care products? Give me a break, at least I can find a lot of Aussie meat and food products here in Thailand and with most foreign investment in Thailand from China, Japan and other neighboring countries, the USA is pretty irrelevant in Thailand. They certainly won't be building that high speed train from Kunming, that's for sure.

• Like 1

He would be labeled a diplomat, with said privileges. no visa required, getting into the White House, there then is another issue!

He's actually recognised as the leader of a military coup and is, therefore, afforded all the privileges that go with that, i.e. none. Everyone requires a visa of some sort, even diplomats.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifMCD Ying Rubs OBAMA.jpgattachicon.gifMCD Ying loves Obama.jpg

Okay, so don't let Obama come to Thailand, boot out the US Ambassador.

The U.S. NEEDS Thailand, more than Thailand needs "Big Yankee Brother" these days.

I don't think the Chinese Authorities would have any problem with OUR P.M. paying them a State Visit.

Sounds very much like Obama is still dreaming, of how a previous Thai PM " fell all over him."

Exactly. Can't remember the last time the USA made any investment in Thailand anyway, save for GM building some Chevrolet pickups and SUVs but those plants now employ mostly Thais anyway.

Most other foreign investment comes from Japan and increasingly China. The future of Thailand is with China, like it or not. One day we'll all forget there ever was a relationship with the USA because everything sold in Thailand not made locally will be made in China, which in fact is already close to being the case anyway.

Why would he want to go to a civilized country when he is such an ultra right wing fundamentalist who does not welcome foreigners? I am glad he is banned, banned from Australia too and hopefully the rest of the world until that country starts to act like an adult rather than a petulant child.

To be honest, I don't know what this whole "doesn't welcome foreigners" rhetoric is all about. Even under PM Prayuth, all you ever hear about is "welcoming" more foreign tourists to this country and as we all know, the 24-26m foreigners that supposedly enter per year are not individual tourists, but entries made. The number of unique visitors may actually be 8m foreign tourists per year and the whole reason for short term visas is so visa runs are necessary to prop up the visitor numbers. Sure, attempts have been made to stop all the visa running on visa exemptions, but that's because the country wants to look serious about not having people abuse the visa exemption, perhaps in preparation for the AEC. It doesn't mean foreigners are no longer welcome. Quite the contrary. So obsessed is Thailand with tourism and numbers, every foreigner in Thailand is considered a tourist, even permanent residents. As long as they make an entry into Thailand they are counted as a new tourist. Only once someone becomes a Thai citizen do they cease being a tourist.

I think you have to read that article again.

It said the US is not inviting him in. It doesn't say, they banned him from entering the USA.

Slightly different. I'm sure there is absolute no problem for him to go on a quick shopping trip

to New York if he wishes.

since he presumably has a Diplomatic passport as de facto head of the country, it would be a major international story if they actually banned him from entering.

"...as de facto head of the country..."

Since when? I think you'll find that someone else has that crown, so to speak.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you'd expect from US admin, whether Obama's or any other President's, just a bunch of dummy spitters who think there's only one way.....USAway!

Wrong........Can't fix own probs, i.e. racial issues, healthcare, etc, etc, MYOB!!!

If you read CAREFULLY, you'll see that the US has not told him he can't come. The US is not in the habit of inviting coup leaders to the US for diplomatic visits. That said, if he wanted to go, he doesn't need an invite. As a head of state he would be admitted.

He's not head of state.

As PM he's not the head of state?

Are you suggesting the only head of state is the King?

Maybe you're being a bit picayune?

forum rulcoffee1.gif American forces are all over the globe and even in unlikely places like the UK, trying to help the world stop tyrants. Why are US Marines in Australia? Detractors from all over are against the only country sacrificing their riches and military lives for people who hate us. Is that you?bah.gif Why do posters sit around and make up garbage to take cheap shots at America?

"Why do posters sit around and make up garbage to take cheap shots..."

I think it's one of the Thaivisa rules.

• Like 1

Military coup, court the Chinese, befriend North Korea and you expect US to welcome you with open arms? Better study up on US policy politics and culture. After you relinquish power dear General, you still will be banned from USA.

• Like 1

It can be hard for Thai people to get visas to go overseas. Looks like it's no different for Prayuth!

Not to worry Gen Prayuth, you'd hate it - too much bread.

Oh, and those vampy females who lounge around at beach resorts - wearing bikinis. Too much temptation. They must be asking to be raped.

And you must be asking to be labelled a clown for going way off topic and fabricating nonsense.

• Like 1

Did you happen to read this headline, Geez?

"

"Prayut says US disallows him to travel to the states"

Are you suggesting he's a liar?

Yes, I did. I also read the full OP, that you clearly didn't.

Edited by Sviss Geez