Explosion of New Good Quality Affordable Indian Restaurants in Pattaya

Jingthing

Indian Chimney on 2nd road close to the soi for Pattaya International Hospital has moved after it was closed due to demolition of space, previously on Beach Road. Indian Chimney at the old location had an above average Indian tour group lunch and dinner buffet, used to be about 250 baht, and also a good full a la carte menu. I recall the tandoori chicken was excellent. I don't know yet whether the new place is the same concept or not as I just passed on a bus ... but hope to check it out.

I nearly went there the other evening after my wasted trip to the Crown of India.

Indian Chimney was also completely deserted. Nothing puts me off a buffet more than seeing absolutely no sign of any other customers. Have they all been taken to hospital? Are they queueing for the toilets? Or do they just not get beyond the front door, like me?

For just three hundred Baht more at lunchtime I can go the Hilton where I have to pre-book a table or may get turned away, and where, on Thursday, I can also get some nice curries in the buffet plus a load of other good things. What is wrong with this picture?

Edited by KittenKong

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naan N Curry ... I meant in Thailand.

Their sign says they have north and south food.

Based on the location next to Madras Darbar I'd say it is definitely an authentic Indian restaurant.

I used to love a place in San Francisco of the same name but I doubt it's related as that place is strictly authentic Pakistani food.

The location is a bit prime across from the mall so I doubt it's cheap. Only guessing but I assume its a similar price level to Madras Darbar. Guess I need to check it out. Just don't feel like Indian that often though. Maybe weekly or so.

Edited by Jingthing

Indian Chimney buffet old location catered to group contracts. Meaning sometimes it was empty and sometimes packed when a group arrived.

Note it's just a basic style buffet. No tandoori meats.

Did you catch the buffet price there?

I get that you like the Hilton but it seems off topic here as not new and not an affordable Indian restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

MUMBAI'S GREAT PUNJAB RESTAURANT.

There is an Indian restaurant by the same exact name here in BKK on Suk Soi 13, and has been here for some time. Given the name, probably branching out to Patters.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d6158108-Reviews-Mumbai_s_Great_Punjab_The_Indian_Restaurant_Bar-Bangkok.html

Indian Chimney buffet old location catered to group contracts. Meaning sometimes it was empty and sometimes packed when a group arrived.

Note it's just a basic style buffet. No tandoori meats.

Did you catch the buffet price there?

I ate there before when it was in the old location so I know what it's about.

The sign out on the street (it looked like the one they used to have when it was in the old location, so I suppose they brought it with them) had a very small hand-written sticker over the price. I think it said 250 but it wasnt clear. The place was very unappealing and both escalators were out of order. The other Indian place that opened up a year or two ago just opposite on the same floor has closed.

I saw people in the Lantern (near the big Tony's on 3rd Road) the other evening when driving past. That's rare also but at least that place is at ground level and looks appealing. Parking is easier there also though the tour buses dont care about double-parking!

I'd love to know what the tour groups actually pay per head in these places. My bet is around 100-150B.

OK. Thanks. Not really familiar with the Lantern. Yes I think 250 was the price at the old location. What groups pay isn't really relevant to us unless you happen to be an Indian tour packager. Geez nobody ever said it was high end food or worth a lot of money.

That's what intrigued about the Crowne concept. Somewhat higher end and priced and giving you more ... not focused on tour groups.

OK, I can now provide some background information on the slick new Indian restaurant Naan-N-Curry, previously mentioned.

As I suspected does have a connection to a Bangkok Indian restaurant.

The same owners who own Sanjha Chulha (Bangkok and Pattaya) also own Naan-N-Curry.

They also own two other Indian restaurants in Bangkok, with different names. One all vegetarian.

There is only one Naan-N-Curry in Thailand though, and this is the one.

I was told the menu of Naan-N-Curry and Sanjha Chulha are very similar but was also told the prices are somewhat lower at Naan-N-Curry.

Of course each restaurant has its own kitchen and cooks so that means there will be some differences between them.

I perused the menu. It is quite large. Prices on some items seemed on the high side for the Pattaya market and some others seemed moderate.

Anyway, it is definitely a NEW Indian restaurant here as per this thread's concept. "Affordable" -- that might be debatable.

There is a bar being constructed for the outside area.

This is more of a fashionable place ... I noticed Indian families there who were rather well dressed, Indian style of course.

I forgot to ask if they add charges to the check ... I think probably so as I think I recall that from Shanjha but I am not certain.

I ate one time before at Sanjha and really didn't think it was worth the money, but that is hardly any kind of fair and comprehensive review.

This new place Naan-N-Curry seemed to be pleasing the Indian crowd there ... so if this trying to be "buzzy" style of place appeals, I'm sure you'll be very welcome.

I wasn't in the mood though and stopped by Madras Darbar next door (there is indeed NO business connection to Naan-N-Curry) for a light meal of paneer masala dosa. It was quite good at 160 baht. Madras Darbar is an oldie but a goodie.

http://www.sanjhachulhabkk.com/

Edited by Jingthing