PM needs to take a blow on the chin and move on

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
PM needs to take a blow on the chin and move on
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Forget fussing over the US reaction to the coup, people just want him to get the job done quickly and to be open to public input

Nobody doubts that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha loves his country just as much as the next person on the street.

And because of his love for the country, Prayut launched a coup in May last year to scrap the 2007 Constitution so he and his associates can rebuild it from scratch.

Nobody doubts his intention was good. But people question his judgement on just about everything and they are worried that the man actually believes his own propaganda - such as when he told participants at the recent Wharton Global Forum in Bangkok that there is now peace and stability and that Thai people are happy.

If Prayut actually believes that, then now is a good time to sell him one of the bridges over the Chao Phraya River that links Bangkok to Thonburi.

Prayut said he doesn't want the prime ministerial post but had to take it because he had to rescue Thailand from the decade-old political crisis. He thought good intent was enough to rescue him from critics, domestic and foreign. Of course, the military's firepower at his disposable was helpful too - to silence domestic critics at least.

But when it comes to international relations - which is something the Thai military never seems to have a proper grip on - Prayut sadly missed the boat.

The man is still complaining, some what bitterly, about how a certain country, namely the United States, is not giving him the respect he deserves. After all, he rescued Thailand, right?

First of all, there is a thing called a ground rule. Once you violate it, you upset the other people who rely on this particular ground rule in their dealing with you.

Prayut wants us to believe that there was no other way to save the country - that he had to launch a coup to "reset" everything.

But the "reset" became a "shutdown" - to borrow a computer term - as restrictions are imposed on all sorts of public and political activity and we are not even talking about burning down buildings and city halls across the country liked the pro-Thaksin camp tried in the past.

We are talking about something as basic as a "three-finger salute" to express one's disapproval of the junta's policy and activities.

Yes, the United States should not impose its own benchmark on other countries, including Thailand.

"Please tell the United States that in tailoring you cannot just cut one dress and expect it to fit all…You cannot tailor one dress and expect the whole world to wear it. Each nation has its own problems that differ," Prayut said.

Regardless if one is elected or came to power through a military coup, there is a thing called humility and Prayut should try to understand this virtue.

For one thing, stop crying over spilt milk and get over it. Open and free societies, namely Western nations, are not going to give visas to people who come to power in such a way.

Prayut acknowledged that he did not come to power via an election but he hoped that his determination to resolve the political crisis - and rid Thailand of the Shinawatra clan once and for all - was enough to win him support from the Thai people. For a brief moment, there was such support, especially from people tired of the street battles and demonstrations.

But Prayut can't expect the honeymoon to last forever. The feeling on the ground is that he is not moving fast enough and that he and his junta could be more inclusive with initiatives for political reform.

For the sake of Thailand, let's hope that Prayut understands that the absence of street protests and violence does not equate to peace. But somehow, judging from his statement below, such hope may be wishful thinking.

"I am still being criticised today, accused of making Thailand a bad example for governance in the world. I don't get it," said Prayut. "Every country is watching us to see how Thailand will proceed and they are surprised that Thai people have no problem."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/PM-needs-to-take-a-blow-on-the-chin-and-move-on-30256047.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-15

• Like 2

Good article. thumbsup.gif

It seems that a little criticism is being permitted lately, which is fine, hopefully with no offensive name calling and crass comments (lacking sensitivity, refinement, or intelligence.) Keep it civil.

• Like 1

In deciding to rid the country of one family, he has made the assumption that there is no support for that political faction. That is not true.

He is being spiteful to his critics internationally. I hope he enjoys his alliance with China, a country known for its compassion and caring and extending humanitarian assistance to all.

I wonder how long it will be before North Korean's get a 30 day visa upon arrival.

His intentions may be good, but his methods are highly suspect. I think the old saying is true, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

• Like 2

I say this maybe pick 6 major things that is in need of and over due for reform and put all your energy into getting them fixed. IE:

1. RTP which is and has been corrupt to the core

2.Customs another corrupt body most know this is true.

3.Border control or lack of it just fix it.

4. Politicians and accountability of there actions need I say more.

5. The school system or lack of it this is total mess here.

6. Your two price system if all were treated equal on prices you might get larger sales.

Some might be surprised I threw in border control but look drugs enter the country by crossing the border human trafficking same thing. illegal Ivory trade tiger bones and other parts the list goes on and on. I sure The PM intent was good but as we all know the job to fix is massive and near impossible to fix without a change in the way Thai people process the fact's and step outside and take a look as the world see's there much like I did to see how the world seen where I'm from it just may enlighten them like it did me.

• Like 1

Prayut needs to see this through and then say "I told you so" when democracy is restored. He needs to ignore the bitter and twisted and move ahead with not restoring, but bringing democracy to the country that he loves.

He could look upon Fiji for inspiration. The UN and USA spewed the same narrative as they do with Thailand now when Frank Bainimarama staged a coup in Fiji. Then as Frank had promised restored democracy and actually won the election in a landslide. Ban Ki-Moon even acknowledged this success of democracy.

Prayut can take solace the majority of Thai's support him ergo support peace and stability. The other 7% are why reform is needed.

Good luck Prayut. Time will show that you are sincere.

• Like 1

Gayest headline ever?

One can conger any written word into something that it may not be. I prefer to read the entire article before attaching an alternative meaning to the headline.

Ideally for the writer, the reader possesses the mature intellect and sufficient restraint before making an unsupported assumption.

Brav-O! Southernstar and go to the back of the bus the usual suspects on this board who so tirelessly sell their pavlovian love and support of fascism and a 'made up story for public consumption' excuse to rule, wreck and remove it's legitimate competitors.

Prayut needs to see this through and then say "I told you so" when democracy is restored. He needs to ignore the bitter and twisted and move ahead with not restoring, but bringing democracy to the country that he loves.

He could look upon Fiji for inspiration. The UN and USA spewed the same narrative as they do with Thailand now when Frank Bainimarama staged a coup in Fiji. Then as Frank had promised restored democracy and actually won the election in a landslide. Ban Ki-Moon even acknowledged this success of democracy.

Prayut can take solace the majority of Thai's support him ergo support peace and stability. The other 7% are why reform is needed.

Yes the majority Thai's want peace and stability, but not under him and his cronies. They want peace and stability under a government that they have elected and they don't want that government to be overthrown everytime the army's paymasters don't like the government. Please inform us what reforms this junta have brought about? Have they reformed education, land ownership, equal justice for all, income inequality, the police force, the army, have they reformed the corrupt civil service - no and again no. Nothing has happened, the only thing they have done is to get rid of people they don't like and put their cronies inplace. They are inprocess of indebting this country for the next 2 generations with their mega projects. Most of the funding for these projects will be foreign which open the country to future exchange rate losses on top of the B 5 tn they going to spend. The worst part is that they are bringing in their cronies on the rail projects and they are doing it in plain sight. These cronies was the same ones that financed the 2013/14 protest. If you start to put 2 and 2 together it is clear why they overthrew YS and the answer is money and power, not reforms.
  • Like 2

"Nobody doubts his intention was good"

Really? Seriously? Nobody?

Only ignorant people or those that are having their nice little corrupt businesses interfered with doubt his 'good' intentions - I think that you are likely in the former category!!!

I think you are getting your polling solely from Bangkok. I don't believe the majority of Thais do support him. If you polled up country you would find that 7% number phenomenally low.

I think you are getting your polling solely from Bangkok. I don't believe the majority of Thais do support him. If you polled up country you would find that 7% number phenomenally low.

A majority of the 7% (as to why reform is needed) COME from up country and even a majority of those, notably the rice farmers, support him after he came to their rescue in their hour of need after being abandoned by Yingluck and her imposters!!

These polls by the way, are carried out across ALL regions and amongst the whole spectrum of people.

He is highly popular so just bite the bullet and admit to it, you will feel so much better after having done this - try being honest to yourself for once and admit you were wrong all along!!

55555 Bridge in Brooklyn for sale, great price. Delivery to Chao Phraya no extra charge. Comes with polling report, just fill in the numbers to fit your cause. Also available, Snake Oil, remedies for foot in mouth disease, existential angst, cut outs of world leaders you would like to be seen in public with, super duper Happiness Kool-Aid - just 3 fingers in a half empty glass will cure disbelief, trust us.

A majority of the 7% (as to why reform is needed) COME from up country and even a majority of those, notably the rice farmers, support him after he came to their rescue in their hour of need after being abandoned by Yingluck and her imposters!!

These polls by the way, are carried out across ALL regions and amongst the whole spectrum of people.

He is highly popular so just bite the bullet and admit to it, you will feel so much better after having done this - try being honest to yourself for once and admit you were wrong all along!!

• Like 1

And yet the EU and other European national governments have chastised the Thai government more severely than the USA and very little is said.

Shame on them all for being so blinkered and misinformed.

I understand the situation better than they do because I trust reality more than flawed 'rule books of democracy' that were set in stone centuries ago and don't take into account the culture and thinking of nations different to themselves.

Exactly say it like it is puppet prayut being told what to do by the elitist, he has big pockets, i wonder if after all this if he gets checked for his financial accounts, because i love thailand does not give me the right to take it over, Reality check urgently needed here w00t.gifw00t.gif

Yes the majority Thai's want peace and stability, but not under him and his cronies. They want peace and stability under a government that they have elected and they don't want that government to be overthrown everytime the army's paymasters don't like the government. Please inform us what reforms this junta have brought about? Have they reformed education, land ownership, equal justice for all, income inequality, the police force, the army, have they reformed the corrupt civil service - no and again no. Nothing has happened, the only thing they have done is to get rid of people they don't like and put their cronies inplace. They are inprocess of indebting this country for the next 2 generations with their mega projects. Most of the funding for these projects will be foreign which open the country to future exchange rate losses on top of the B 5 tn they going to spend. The worst part is that they are bringing in their cronies on the rail projects and they are doing it in plain sight. These cronies was the same ones that financed the 2013/14 protest. If you start to put 2 and 2 together it is clear why they overthrew YS and the answer is money and power, not reforms.

Incredible that some people still believe in the survey from the "Thai Researchers Association in Community Hapiness" showing a rate of 93% approval of the Junta! They forget two things:

- first that there is so much evidence of a biased survey (and polling organisation) that even a kid would find out

- second the survey was made on "COMMUNITY LEADERS" (whatever that means), and the "Thai Researchers Association in Community Hapiness" never stated that they surveyed the whole population, only the "COMMUNITY LEADERS". So even if you believe this Mickey Mouse poll, you should state "7% of Community leaders", not 7% of Thai people.

Anyway, at least we got a good laugh cheesy.gif